IMDb > "Fringe" White Tulip (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Fringe" White Tulip (2010)

« Prev | 38 of 100 Episodes | Next »

A refreshing but contemplative tale that re-energizes the series

Author: rlboyce0 from United States
17 April 2010

From the very first episode I've liked Fringe. It occupies a certain realm of science fiction in today's world of entertainment that is greatly lacking. However, as with most TV series nowadays, Fringe has strayed from its creative episodes in the beginning to near rip-offs of other shows. Leaving things unexplained for some distant future episode and heavily relying on grotesque images was starting to become all too common. Luckily, when the second season arrived you could tell the producers decided to get back to the basics and start answering some of the many questions it posed in the first season.

White Tulip is a story that revolves around the concept of time travel along with the conflicts and confusion it would create. Time travel is certainly not new by television or movie standards, but the way the concept has been made to seamlessly intertwine with Walter's personal dilemma that has been causing great grief over the past episodes is a testament to John Noble's and the producer's ability to still make a good episode. Given Noble's remarkable performances and increasing camera time, I'm starting to wonder who exactly is the main character. The time traveler was wonderfully cast as well.

When the time traveler was shown to be modifying his time device (which you'll find out later what this exactly is) while listening to Are "Friends" Electric?, I felt the very peculiar feelings of concurrent revulsion and nostalgia, almost as if it was a single feeling. The revulsion was understandable, but the nostalgia very hard to place. Perhaps the song or the time travelers physically painful representation of nostalgia. Whatever the reason, the ability of the episode to provoke the strange feeling made me realize right there and then that this may very well be one of the best episodes yet, if not the best so far.

And then there was the tulip! Kudos to the writers for fitting it in the story so wonderfully. Something so simple became one of the most memorable moments of the series.

Don't miss this episode if you've ever enjoyed another!

Moving

Author: serracinar from uk
28 April 2012

It is not very often you will find a heart moving story in a sci-fi series.

While Fringe has had some of them at times, this episode by far, is the most remarkable and moving one.

While we witness Walter finds someone who can truly understands him ( mind you it is not very often - he can understand the grief he caused however not many examples that he was by others.) we also see a time travel story - not a unique idea but thinking how many of us wanted to travel through time to be with the ones we loved once, it fits all beautifully.

Every one of us has our regrets, been late to say something to someone we loved. Some of us wished to be long gone with the ones we love and miss.

Easier to say than it is done. We found ourselves in these pieces of art, TV series, songs, novels. We want to be understood and we want forgiveness.

That's why we loved this episode so much more than the others perhaps. Remarkable acting reflects whatever we want to have.

Walter meets his soul-mate

Author: ares1996 from United States
16 September 2010

This is my favorite episode in the series. John Noble as Walter Bishop is a tough act to follow, but Peter Weller as Alistair Peck more than holds his own here. I have never seen him in better form. He succeeds in imbuing what could have a stock villain character with great complexity.

When they meet, it is the first time that we see Walter speak with someone who can truly talk to him on his own level. Both men are brilliant scientists. Both are driven by love and guilt. Their meditations on God, science, and right and wrong is riveting. And Peck's final, anonymous act of compassion is truly touching.

One of the best written TV episodes you'll ever see

Author: NED-10 from Columbus, Ohio
27 November 2011

Very well-written and tight episode. One of the best sci-fi episodes you'll ever see on mainstream TV. If this were a short story, it would be an award contender, IMO. One of the best time travel stories I've ever seen portrayed in a TV series.

Peter Weller guest stars in an amazing performance. One of the most interesting antagonists you'll ever enjoy. It's one of those cases where the writers just pulled everything together and just didn't mess anything up.

I don't want to spoil anything so I won't elaborate further, except to say that it's worth seeing the series up to this point just to gain the context to appreciate this episode.

At The Time And In Retrospect The Best Episode Of This Fine Series

Author: MyAvatar from United States
20 January 2013

Having just seen the final episode of this wonderful 5 year science fiction series I am irresistibly reminded of its arguably best episode (White Tulip).

Suffice to say, the Fringe creators beautifully pay homage to it in the final episode.

My advice to anyone interested in this series is to watch a few early episodes to get a sense of the characters and to acclimate to the Fringe alternate reality. Although interesting and well done these early "monster of the week" episodes give way to even more sophisticated and intriguing stories in subsequent seasons.

Season Two's "White Tulip" is an example of the very best of the series.

My strong recommendation: Don't sample this series without watching this episode. You will not be sorry.

Robocop vs Denethor vs God

Author: XweAponX from United States
5 June 2012

This episode sets up the whole of Season 4 - Long before there was a Season 4. That just shows how well thought out the story of Fringe has been: It was mapped out to the last detail from before the Pilot Ep.

Each Season of Fringe was a step deeper into madness, and this is a dire preview of things to come.

A homeless teenager is panhandling outside of a Train station. He passes RoboCop's Peter Weller as he gets on a train car: The lights are all out, and everyone in the car is dead! He's trapped with them.

Walter in the meantime, is poring over a painful letter to Peter, he still does not know how to tell Peter he had been brought over from the other side. He is distracted by a phone call from Peter: Fringe Division is needed on a case involving Trains, and Peter knows how much Walter loves Trains.

When they get there, it is as if every person in the car, and every electronic gadget in the car, and every light and other electronic device has been drained of every micro-watt of electrical energy.

As the process continues, they identify Dr Alistair Peck (Weller) as leaving the car right after it had happened. They confront Peck, and he insists that the people are not really dead, or they will not be very soon. And he performs a magic trick where his head is tilting all over, and suddenly he's back in the train with the same people who are freshly-dead.

This process repeats itself at least two more times: Peck is a theoretical scientist who has figured out how to travel back in Time. But the price he has to pay is that all electrical energy is drained from everything at his arrival point: this includes people. Peck wants to achieve "The Arlette Principle" - He wants to return to the day his fiancé was killed in an accident, to right a wrong he caused: The same way Walter went to get Peter. This gives Peck and Walter a lot in common.

In each iteration of events, Fringe meets with Carol Bryce (Laara Sadiq from the X-Files episode "Leonard Betts") and she gives Walter a book of Peck's work.

Walter, who is familiar with Peck's work, knows why Peck cannot travel any further back than the Train Station: He needs to take into account an equation which involves numbers one magnitude greater than Peck was accounting for.

There is a memorable Meeting between Walter and Peck, Walter shuts off the FBI audio monitor and tells Peck two things: 1) He had crossed into another universe and had taken his Son's Doppleganger, and 2) He has been praying for Forgiveness to God, and is asking for one sign: A White Tulip. Walter then tells Peck how to get to the time he wants to get to.

Peck escapes once again, not going back to the Train Station but somewhere else, the whole process repeats, but with different circumstances, but Peck is still found and the FBI once again has him trapped. But now, Peck can go all the way back to achieve "The Arlette Principle" and he succeeds: Killing only a bunch of grass and possibly himself who was in the grassy area at that exact time (this is not shown, but it is inferred by the conversation between himself and Walter - He was there in that Grassy area at that time).

He is shown getting into the car with Arlette and an oncoming truck kills them both.

One Year after the crash, Carol Bryce mails a letter Peck left for Walter.

Walter is again back in his study, writing the letter and this time finishing it. He throws the letter away - And right then, he gets his mail, included is a letter from Peck, which is a picture of a White Tulip.

I mapped out an entire spoiler here, as a deconstruction: This was one of the best Television Episodes ever written, deserving of a Hugo Award for Dramatic Presentation. God Love Walter Bishop!