IMDb > Paranormal Activity 2 (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Paranormal Activity 2

Paranormal Activity 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 37: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Same Old Material In A New Package!

Author: CinemaClown
2 October 2015

Set before & after the events of the first film, the second chapter in the Paranormal Activity series is a parallel sequel that follows a suburban family which decides to install numerous security camera in their home, following what appears to be a break-in attempt, but soon discover that the events unfolding in their residence are far more sinister than it seems.

Directed by Tod Williams, Paranormal Activity 2 is virtually the same as Paranormal Activity for it follows the very route that its predecessor did and is connected to it by a thin thread. It's got nothing that we didn't see in the last picture, the direction is lazy & uninspiring, the entire script exists on a single page and the only improvement is a much better pace.

On an overall scale, Paranormal Activity 2 is an inferior follow-up that lacks the freshness of the original, offers nothing interesting for the majority of its runtime, and is simply a rehash of the events that transpired in the first film. Fans of the original may still find it entertaining or spooky but if you are hoping to find something new here, then Paranormal Activity 2 will disappoint you for it's the same old material in a new package.

Paranormal Activity 2

Author: Alin Tatucu from Romania
6 September 2015

It's not as good as Paranormal Activity 1 but still a good movie, with great story and likable characters. I loved that Katie returned, because she is one of my favorite characters in this franchise.

In this film we have a new family and more video cameras, which must means more activity. But no. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie but sometimes was quite boring.

I liked the jump-scares(Kristi in the kitchen and the ending-Kristi's death) and how the story develops.

In conclusion, the film definitely worth seeing, if you are a big fan of the series.

Oh Dear

Author: sirfire from Australia
21 July 2015

A story about some rich ignorant white folk (Yes i am white btw) scared about sounds that bump in the night have a robbery.

I feel so sorry for the lady helper who got scared and brunt some incense.

I really did want the dad to get killed, however both daughter and mother seemed nice enough to spare :)

What a BORING BORING show that has pool cleaner moving out of the water every night, pots falling down and of course the help gets sacked cause he said she was doing voodoo. The star is a moronic father who has too much money and too much time on there hands.

Change the channel before you waste your life like i did.

kids these days are far to easy to scare.

Author: jacobjohntaylor1 from Barry's bay Ontario Canada
30 April 2015

I had a good laugh when I went to see this movie in theaters. Every one got scared except me. It is good thing that not to many C.a.n.d.i.a.n.s from my generation don't watch a lot of old horror movies of they would pee they pants. Are they just scared because they don't know that it is not real? All this movie is mostly is just bad actors screaming in the dark. By time in gets any were there is less then a minute left. Paranormal activity 3 is better and that one is pretty bad. Paranormal activity 4 is better and that one was pretty bad as well. This movie it not scary. It is badly written. And it had an awful ending. Don't see this movie it is not even close to being as scary as people say it is. Scary Movie 4 had nudity with Leslie Nielsen and that is to scary.

Scary sequel that's mostly the same as the first but of lesser quality.

Author: Dominic LeRose from United States
16 January 2015

"Paranormal Activity" is perhaps the scariest movie of the 21st century. The factor of not knowing where the heck things are gonna pop out in the dark blended with the subtlety and terrifying reality that sweeps the floor from under you, leaving chilled audiences to the bone was only step one of its success. The sequel delivers fun scares, but it's very similar to the first. We see everything coming and the actual film left out tons from the trailer. The sequel is attached to the original by having the possessed Katie haunt a new family. After experiencing what they think are a series of "break- ins", the family sets up security cameras around their home, only to realize that the events unfolding before them are more sinister than they seem. OOOOOOO! Only $3,000,000 out of the bank and over $80,000,000 at the box office, "Paranormal Activity 2" is definitely a success story in terms of finance. In quality, however, it feels made for the sake of being made. It's better than most campy sequels that had no purpose in being made. Hell, the intention of most sequels is for money instead of a continuous story. This isn't really a story. It's a frightening story with a terrifying climax but just way too many scares that we have already experienced. Let's just say this; it wouldn't be devastating if this sequel never appeared in cinemas. As much as we love a good ghost tale, we have a pretty strong understanding t what the German Shepard is barking wildly at.

A disappointing sequel.

Author: Anabel Foster from Ireland
11 November 2014

This second installment of the Paranormal Activity franchise was a disappointment. I found it to be very boring throughout, with absolutely no build-up to the paranormal goings-on within the house to the point that they sometimes pass almost unnoticed. It seems with this film they erased everything that made the first one creepy. The characters, however, are slightly less annoying with the exception of Daniel whom I found to be very unlikeable.

The only good thing about the film is it tells us more about the story of Katie (from PA 1) and her sister, Kristi, and we discover that Kristi was in fact haunted before Katie and this film follows the story of Kristi's haunting. It also gives us a couple of hints about their childhood and 'something' possibly happening to their mother, which is intriguing if you are interested in the storyline. I gave it 5 stars because it continued Katie's story quite well and kept me interested only for that reason.

If you are looking for a good scary horror film then I would give this a miss. I'm afraid this one's just for the PA fans who are following the story.

It Continues

Author: AaronCapenBanner from North America
12 December 2013

Tod Williams took over as director of this sequel, set mostly before the events of the first film, as Katie's sister Kristi and her family are bothered by similar demonic activity seen in the first. Her husband has surveillance cameras placed around the house to catch the vandals, but instead it records sinister forces that the housekeeper warns him about, but ignores, which leads to yet another tragic end, as it seems the activity is centered around their new baby Hunter, and Katie as well...Clever structure that picks up events with possessed Katie after the conclusion of the first, at the end of this, but it isn't enough to make this familiar situation that compelling.

Good movie for cheap thrills with friends but runs no deeper than that

Author: Will Keating from United Kingdom
9 December 2013

If you are looking for a fun thriller/horror movie to watch with friends this movie will not disappoint, but the movie fails to run any deeper than the cheap scares and thrills it's predominantly made up by.

The movie has no strong storyline or back story that would make it stand out from others, this can be solved though by watching the prequels/sequels but who has time? this could have easily been put into one film instead of the four currently released, after all, the movie is boring. There is one location in the whole 98 minutes the film runs for, this could be acceptable of course if the duration of the movie wasn't filled with the same 4 or 5 camera angles mixed with some relatively unexplained hand-held camera work.

The writers try to make excuses as to why the members of the house are filming everything on a hand-held camera despite having security cameras covering the entire house. Obviously the true reason is to make the movie less boring and still than it already is, but I found myself questioning why characters were picking up video cameras and filming everything in such seemingly horrific moments. Fixing this obvious plot hole would have made the movie much more plausible and therefore much more scary.

As far as direction and editing goes though tension is well built throughout the film. I found myself on the edge of my seat throughout the majority of scenes.

Ultimately the movie will suffice if you're looking for some cheap scares with friends but the movie runs no deeper than that. Predictable story line and nothing of real stand out interest.

It's Just Alright

Author: user-543-975655 from Earth
18 October 2013

Just like the first movie, this movie is just alright. At first, I thought this was a sequel, so I was confused for a few minutes, but that's OK. But then I realized that it was a prequel and took place a month to a month and a half before the first. I didn't learn that until I paid attention to the dates. One thing I've learned about this series is that the directors always do a wonderful job at keeping you in extreme suspense. All of the night scenes kill me every time, because I don't know whether something's coming or not. The first one was absolutely one of the most suspenseful horror movies I have ever seen. Not ever, just one of them. The movie is very similar to the first in many ways, both good and bad. In the good ways, it was very, very suspenseful, and pretty realistic for the most part, but in some scenes I could just tell that there was string involved. Anyway, other good ways are that the film was fairly thought provoking, like how it really makes you think about all the stuff that is going on and what you would do if you were in that situation. In the bad ways, however, the movie starts out very boring with no scares. It took a long time to build up, and I was bored throughout the first half hour. Also, It's just a bunch of stereo-types. Like pans dropping, doors closing, and cupboards opening. In fact, that's what some of it is in the first film. However, in the first, there were also a lot of original things, those I cannot tell you, but you can check out my review for the first as well, which was typed right before I made this. Anyway, my dad was watching this with me, and was so bored that he left with about a half hour left and started looking on Craigslist for guitars. I told him the movie builds up, but he didn't listen. My mom watched the first movie with me so I could see how scared she got. She didn't get scared. I watched this one with my dad because he does NOT get scared easily, and wanted to see how he would react to this. He thought it was terrible. Anyway, I was only genuinely frightened maybe once or twice. I'm sorry Paranormal Activity fan people, but I don't think that this is genuine horror, but that is MY opinion, so don't get all mad. If you want to see real horror, go see Insidious, or Insidious 2, but if you just want to have a good movie to watch at a party, go see this. That's all I have to say. The movie was generally alright, but in a nutshell, it wasn't really scary. Hope you found this helpful. See ya!

If you just called the Ghostbusters, we wouldn't be four movies deep.

Author: Horror Banana-nanza from United States
22 November 2012

Oh goodness. Where to begin.

In the first movie, the subtlety was what really kept us screaming. In this movie, the jump scares are in full effect. Gone are the whispers of wind, the shadows, the growls, the three knocks on the walls indicating that yes, the writers did their research and knew exactly how demons work.

In it's place is a movie where what could best be described as a poltergeist is knocking things over, breaking things, and dragging people all around.

So we have a break in at Kristi and Dan's house, shortly after their son Hunter is born. Kristi is the sister of the last movie's victim, Katie. So what we have is a prequel of sorts. The house is a mess, so a bunch of cameras are installed to catch any burglar activity.

First we get a pool cleaner being pulled out of the pool. Then Hunter keeps waking up crying, along with the family dog Abby having fits and growling and barking at nothing. The housekeeper Martine knows something's up, and one night while watching the baby, gets freaked out and blesses the house, which gets her fired.

After pots and pans get tossed around, (typical poltergeists, always terrorizing the kitchen), Katie talks to Kristi and tells her basically to ignore it. It will go away. Apparently, the same thing happened to them as children and eventually stopped. (I smell a sequel prequel!) Dan's daughter Ali figures out that when you make a deal with a demon for either power or wealth, the demon will want the first born son of the family in return. Later, while using a Ouija board like a really smart person suspecting a ghost should always do, she asks what the demon wants, and it literally spells out Hunter. But, she ignores that, then gets locked out of the house by the demon, allowing Hunter to walk his tiny baby butt down the stairs and open the cellar door. I have no idea what that's about, but the parents blame the door being locked on Ali, despite video evidence that they refuse to look at proving it wasn't her.

I didn't mention this, but this movie is a classic example of stupid men not listening or paying attention to the obvious going on around them. If you thought Micah was bad in the previous installment, well, Dan takes the cake. After seeing the pool cleaner lift itself out of the pool on a video, he decides rather than figure out what's going on, he's going to scare Kristi with a neat trick he learned. You'll see.

Later, he tells everyone to knock off all the ghost business, even though things are falling and breaking and being knocked around. Dan, get a clue, would you? That clue happens one night when Abby gets tossed around and Ali and Dan have to take her to the vet, leaving Kristi to get dragged down the stairs twice by the demon, and locked in the basement for an hour, before emerging possessed.

She acts completely catatonic for a little while, so Dan leaves Ali with her, and when Ali checks on Hunter, she proceeds to growl to Ali "Don't touch him." Finally, Dan comes home and watches the video of Kristi being dragged around. At first I thought he'd play a trick on Ali by tying a string around her legs and dragging her down the stairs, but no. He wises up and calls Martine, who tells him the spirit in Kristi can be transferred to another family member using some weird ritual, something about burning a picture of that person. (Um, like a picture found in a previous installment. Yeah.) Also, she gives him a cross to drive the demon out of Kristi.

So they make their way down to the basement armed with a camera and no flashlights, as the electric goes out and, of course, they wait until it's pitch black outside to do any of this. They drive the demon out of Kristi after some jump scares, and it's transferred to...

Katie. (See "Paranormal Activity" review for what happens next.) After Paranormal Activity's most acceptable ending is over, Katie then wonders over to Dan's house, snaps his neck, throws Kristi into the wall and steals Hunter. The end. Except that Paranormal Activity 4 is coming out, which will connect all of these events, including the third installment, I think. By the way, we'll have that review coming up on October 20th, so stay tuned.

All in all, so far, this series has had three different feels to it. The first was completely subtle. Everything was implied until all of the sudden, it was right in your face. This movie has explosive acts committed by the demon/poltergeist. And that's apparently what the creators thought would scare people. The kitchen doors all blowing open at the same time is really the only part of this movie that scared me, but it was a small jolt. It doesn't have the same jarring, unnerving, nervous feel as the first one did.

And the third installment? Pure unadulterated cheese. You'll see.

_________________________ For all the Horror Banana's reviews, visit http://morozov924.hubpages.com/