IMDb > Paranormal Activity 2 (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Paranormal Activity 2

Paranormal Activity 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 37: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Move Thee Reviews: A Rehash Less Scary than the First Film

Author: Kenji Chan from Hong Kong
27 October 2010

Paranormal Activity 2 is a low-budget mockumentary rehashing the first installment.

The film is slow-paced in the first hour. Despite the director's attempt to build the tension step by step, the similar images repeatedly shown by the cameras fail to engage the audience. In the last 30 minutes, there are some creepy moments which will give you goose pimples, thanks to the demon's rumble, the dog's growls, the creaks of the door echoing eerily in the house, etc, whereas those who have watched the first film may find the tactics used familiar and the story formulaic.

To make the most out of the film, you should watch Paranormal Activity 1 first because it starts as a prequel and ends with a twist related to the first film. Besides, you should avoid spoilers and watch it in a cinema with as few talky people as possible.

Those who have watched the first film may find Paranormal Activity 2, whose tactics we have already seen, less scary.

Sloppy Seconds

Author: artful_mark from United States
25 October 2010

Sad Spoiler Alert. Ugh, you just didn't care about any of the characters but the dog and the baby. Oh, rich white couple, blecch! Man fires Hispanic maid for being concerned about bad vibes in home. He's against that crap, but has African tribal art all over his walls? Wife doesn't seem to care. Wife has bad posture. Teenager is just generally annoying. The movie starts with about 300 edits. Then cycles through every camera angle in the house to the point of absurdity. Really the most interesting thing in this movie was the automated pool cleaner, and really that's kind of sad. There was no creepy build up. In fact the first sign of demonic infestation was a total house makeover! Please, and the first noise was a sonic boom that let you know the film wasn't in overly creative hands. "People are seemingly breaking into our house every night and little hunter is scared, we need to go out for drinks, hon!" WTF? And then during the climax, it turns out that demons can just be expelled with common kitchen ingredients? Do we ever find out what happens to the nanny? I'm also glad there weren't too much of Micah and Katie as they seemed to have porked out enough for at least 2 or 3 sequels. Katie's breasts, in particular, stunning in the first film, seemed to have given up the cause in the prequel. Wish this was a "Yeah!" review, instead it's just kind of "meh".

Much better that the first film!

Author: lorcan-61881
17 July 2017

Paranormal activity was a huge success to the world but for me,I did not really care for it,it was boring,nothing actually happened but as for this,this..is brilliant. Paranormal Activity 2 is a prequel to the first film taking place a few months back and how SPOILER FOR THE FIRST FILM Katie became possessed. This film was actually the first Paranormal Activity film I ever watched and I thought it was horrifyingly creepy,the scene were Katie is violently dragged down the stairs in to the basement and have the demon scream,that was freakin terrifying. Paranormal activity 2 is awesome!!

Didn't demand very much, didn't get very much

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
5 July 2017

As was said in my review for the original 'Paranormal Activity', despite not being a fan of the kind of camera technique used for (often excessive and abused) there are a few exceptions and there is an appreciation for the horror genre in general. After putting off watching 'Paranormal Activity' and its sequels due to the divisiveness being so extreme both ways, the decision was made to watch them all to see what the fuss was about.

Didn't hugely care for the original 'Paranormal Activity', while acknowledging that the divisiveness is very much understandable. Plus, despite major flaws, there were also enough good things to make it a mixed feelings film rather than one of the scariest films ever made or one of the all-time worst as touted on both sides. Seeing 'Paranormal Activity 2', it is certainly not an awful film, again it is a film with its moments, but it was only sporadically effective and didn't feel so necessary.

There are good things with 'Paranormal Activity 2'. Some of the visuals are suitably creepy with some eerie lighting, the most memorable being Kristi being pulled down the stairs by an unseen force. Some of the sound effects, like some freaky loud bangs and sudden noises, are good, there was a part in the kitchen that was pretty terrific.

Character development and the characters themselves were pretty underwhelming, but Ali digging out the Ouija board was interesting and made for another one of the more dread-filled moments, the most interesting 'Paranormal Activity 2' got in this respect. It will be admitted too that things pick up in the last act, things and connections become clearer and there is more momentum.

However, outside of a still pretty good Katie Featherston, the acting is either annoying or bland, not helped by characters that have very little to them or frustrate the viewer with truly stupid and sometimes borderline illogical decision making. The camera work is still rather gimmicky and annoying repetitive, while the dialogue especially in the downtime/filler moments (which are too many and either serve no point or incredibly dull) is enough to make one cringe.

While 'Paranormal Activity 2' is sporadically effective in scares and atmosphere, story-wise it does feel too more-of-the-same except far more calculated, and without the intense broodiness or ominous foreboding that would have made things so much better. At best, most of the scares here were humdrum and too calculated. The film too often feels repetitive and pacing wise most of it, until the last act, is a real slog, making things feel really mundane and dull.

The downtime moments feel little more than filler that easily could have trimmed and it would have made the pacing much tauter. The direction occasionally shines but is mostly flat.

In conclusion, a weaker sequel, didn't demand a huge amount, considering the even more mixed reception and seeing reviews of those held in high regard by me that weren't in its favour, and sadly it didn't better my expectations. 4/10 Bethany Cox

Very well made tense horror film

Author: Davis P from United States
6 June 2017

Paranormal Activity 2 (2010) is of course the sequel to the very popular and successful Paranormal Activity (2009). The first film is very scary and I loved it, one of the most effective horror films ever created. This movie is very much like the original in many ways. The film is of course filmed in the exact same fashion, documentary and found footage style. Katie and mica are also back in this movie, they're kind of supporting characters, this film takes place before the events of the original, so I guess it's actually a prequel. This film has some major events in it that will likely shock you and every viewer. It ties to Katie and Mica, I won't reveal what it it, but it is the most interesting part of the movie. The scares are pretty good overall, there's a very real tense feeling that hangs over the entire movie, just like the first one. The acting is really good, I was thoroughly impressed by the performances, just like I was with the original, it's just that there were more good performances because the original only featured Katie, mica and that priest. The film is one I would definitely recommend to a person wanting to watch a well made horror film. I plan on finishing up the movie series, so I'll see if the rest are recommendable. 8/10 for Paranormal Activity 2.

Oh dear! 90 minutes waiting for a peak that never came!

Author: FountainPen from UK
11 December 2016

Am I missing something here? Am I far too jaded, having watched over 50 horror motion pictures in the past month? At the moment this flick carries an IMDb rating of 5.7. The best I could manage was 2 after watching it all the way through, the whole hour and a half. For the first half hour, absolutely NOTHING happened other than a family settling into a new house, with baby and nanny, setting up surveillance cameras, eating & sleeping etc. Personalities and characters were established. Nice house, too, roomy and busy. Hand-held camera, naturally... Cinema Verité, dontcha know!? OK, there were a few little "shocks" as things inside and outside the house moved by themselves (captured on security cameras), made noises, frightened the wife terribly... she was even dragged out of a room by the feet, down the stairs by a decidedly rude, invisible force. As matters progressed, I realised there was probably NOT going to be any real highlight to this flick; I encountered no tension, no peak/s, nothing to jar me or to mark this cinematic experience as something special. Devoid of humour it is, too. The ending was, for me, a total letdown, as though the producers had run of funds and said "OK, finish it NOW and let's go home". Oh dear. NOT recommended. Rated 2 out of 10 (well, 1.5 in my book). Ho-hum.

The Paranormal Activity Series:Part 2-The Director's Cut.

Author: morrison-dylan-fan from United Kingdom
7 October 2016

Whilst taking a look at the Horror section on Netflix,I was surprised to discover that the site had all (apart from the first) of the Paranormal Activity movies on.Since having seen the first one on DVD,I decided that it would be a good time to experience the Netflix Paranormal.

The plot-

2005:

Shortly after moving into their new home,the Rey notice that when they are out of the house objects and items move or disappear.Suspecting a repeat burglar,the Rey family install a CCTV system to catch the person red handed.As the nights go by,the Rey's see no sign of the burglar,but continue to experience strange events in the house,which starts to make the Rey's fear that something paranormal may be involved.

View on the film:

Replacing original choice Kevin Greutert, (who got stuck in a contract which led to him having to direct Saw 3D instead) director Tod Williams & cinematographer Michael Simmonds replace the grainy video of the original with a crisp digital format.Whilst this presentation does give the movie a shiny glaze,it also drains the title of eerie atmosphere,due to all the shocks that take place being clear to see,and leaving no haunting sense of doubt behind.Expanding from a couple to a family unit,the screenplay by Michael R. Perry/Christopher Landon & Tom Pabst knots mythology making threads with home invasion chills.Covering every room of the house,the writers disappointingly clip the title of an anxious horror atmosphere,by including too many interchangeable family members who take away closed-off mood that the house should offer from another paranormal invasion.

Extremely repetitive and boring. Copy paste from the first movie.

Author: Latex1 from Finland
24 May 2016

Half of the movie is recycling the night time camera activity. Water cleaner moves and in the morning it's out of the pool. Pans do a little wiggle and so on.

The movie also has the thing that makes a low quality horror movie; a poor attempt at jump scare. Jump scares in general are lazy way to make a movie scarier but suddenly opening all closet doors may be the worst one I've ever seen.

This is one of the few movies I've watched that ware so boring I can't watch in one sitting. Paranormal Activity is the Call of Duty of movies; surprisingly popular and extremely repetitive. When they used the "self-filmed" approach in the first movie it felt refreshing and new. The sequel is just riding on the back of the first film.

I could see how this movie would get a good grade for a school project but for a 3-million-dollar movie this seems like a joke, even though 3 million dollars isn't much when talking about movies.

Chilling Yet With the Same Flaws.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
19 December 2015

Paranormal Activity 2 (2010): Dir: Tod Williams / Cast: Sprague Greyden, Brian Bolden, Molly Ephraim, Katie Featherstone, Micah Slout: Worthwhile sequel that displays the same low budget technical intelligence as the original only adding a few new characters to the mix. Taking place prior to the first film, here a family moves in to a big house and have security camera installed after their home is ransacked but nothing stolen. This is all brought together by New director Tod Williams who heightens the suspense gradually as each night grows creepier through the camera. This is effective and works for independent film work without the use of computer graphics. While the first film was no gem, it was an effective breakthrough for fright fans. This sequel is more of the same and it has effective scare moments but it also deals with people who aren't thinking logically. Among the residence are Sprague Greyden and Brian Bolden with their baby Hunter and step-daughter, played by Molly Ephraim. Greyden and Ephrain already feel a presence that isn't right, and Bolden seems to find some sort of logic to conceal any concerns. Katie Featherstone returns as Greyden's sister who urges that any paranormal discussion be ceased. Featherstone is remembered as the female lead of the first film who is also haunted. Micah Slout is more prominently featured in the first film, but here in the prequel he is a reminder of what the future will hold. It seems to contain a better screenplay yet lacking the freshness of the original film, which took independent films to new lows. Score: 6 / 10

better than the first

Author: suganthram from india
5 October 2015

One thing is for sure.....u got to be really, really patient enough to watch paranormal activity movies....Having watched the first film,which i felt it was absolute crap,i knew what can be expected in the second film.But surprisingly,it turned out to better.yes,the first half of the movie was really testing my patience and i was like"Oh man,i had enough of this door opening and closing crap...when will the demon show some real freak show??"....but then the movie shifted gears and was the scare scenes were worth watching....but i thought the movie would end with Katie informing about the demonic presence,but her arrival to her sisters house was something i least expected....overall..not the best of horror movies,but was certainly better than PA1