IMDb > Paranormal Activity 2 (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Paranormal Activity 2

Paranormal Activity 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 36: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

A Step-Down for a Few Reasons, but "Paranormal Activity 2" Still Delivers the Thrills Overall, and is a Very Fun Ride...

Author: MaximumMadness from United States
31 January 2012

I'm a bit torn. I feel as though my score of 6 out of 10 may be misleading. For me, a 6 out of 10 film is generally a film I really enjoyed, but felt was a bit too basic, or had some major flaws. And that's what I thought about "Paranormal Activity 2." I really, honestly enjoyed it. It's a lot of fun to watch, and is quite scary at times. I've even watched it repeatedly. It had a lot of creepy moments, it had some really funny humor, and it did something a little different with the whole "found footage" genre. But all of that being said, there were some major problems with it, hence, I had to take off a few points.

Looking back at a lot of my IMDb reviews, I always wish I could change them. I won't, just because I want to stand by my original reviews, but I will say that I gave the original "Paranormal Activity" a 7 out of 10, but in retrospect, I'd bump it up to a 9. I reviewed it based on my experience seeing it in an empty theater with my father, who doesn't like horror films, so I was viewing it in the context of a safe environment with someone who was sort-of a buzz-kill, whereas I should have reviewed it on my home-viewing experience. When I recently re-watched it, I fell in love with it in a way I hadn't before, because the at-home viewing experience in the dark by myself helped tremendously. I was able to pick up on details I had missed before, and let myself be more "immersed" by it, and I decided that it was one of my favorite recent horror films. So, officially, I am saying that the first film is a 9 out of 10 for me. Hence I excitedly watched this on NetFlix and plan on buying the third film.

I just wanted to tell you about my views on the first film to give this one something to compare to.

"Paranormal Activity 2" begins a little over a year before the original film. We follow Kristi (sister of the Katie character from her first film), her husband Daniel, her step-daughter Ali, and their newborn baby Hunter. We learn about the recent birth of Hunter and get to know the family a bit, before we cut to August, 2006, two months before the original film. Hunter is now one year old, the family have a house-sitter/nanny named Martine, and things are great.

However, one day, they return home and find that their house has been ransacked by apparent vandals- every room has been torn apart except for Hunter's. The family has security cameras installed to help monitor and prevent this from happening again, which is where most of our "found footage" comes from. (That, and the camcorder that Daniel and Ali carry around)

This is the set up for the film. Like the original, the film elapses over several weeks, and things begin slowly. At first, it's just small things- tapping on the windows or the pool-filter being removed from the pool during the nighttime. Little things that could have earthly explanations. But, over the days, the activity becomes more blatant and more violent, and the stakes are raised when Ali's research suggests that this presence may be after Hunter.

The film is quite startling at times. The horror works well to a point. The eerie sounds in particular are fantastic, and a few "jump" moments are terrifying. However, here's where one of the big problems crops up- the activity is too "harsh" for a prequel. The first film was very subtle- it wasn't until the last few days that anything truly horrifying occurred. However, in this film, the activity seems to ramp up too quickly. Doors explode open, people are pulled through the air, electricity is affected- it all happens much quicker than in the first film. It just felt like a slight betrayal to the rules set by the first film. It should have been more subtle.

The acting is generally good. But the problem is the characters- they are a bit more clichéd this time. It all feels more manufactured and "movie-like", as opposed to the real-life feeling of the first film.

Also troubling is the final act of the film, which has a lot to do with the original movie- again, it felt like a slight betrayal, because they change the rules and how we interpret the first film.

Finally, some of the activity felt too much like special effects, which took away from the film.

But all of that being said, it was still a highly enjoyable film, and worked for the most part as a decent follow-up/prequel. Like I said, this is one of those cases where the film is just too much fun to condemn it for its flaws.

I'm giving "Paranormal Activity 2" a 6 out of 10. It's flawed, but you will forgive the flaws for the frightful good time it provides. Now off to the third film!

Are you kidding me?

Author: Gabriele 'Giga'
28 October 2011

This movie is a joke, really... in the middle of it you can hear the producers laughing at you and saying: "ahahaha, thank you for your money you idiot!". The commercial ads opening the movie were way more interesting, I heard a lot of people complaining during the projection and some people left the theater before it ended. It is slow, annoying as hell, repetitive (I think the main character of the story is the pool robo-cleaner), and when I say that *nothing* happens until the last 20 minutes, I actually mean that NOTHING happens until that time.. and when that time finally comes........... well.... it sucks, like the rest of the movie.

Finally you leave the theater room, with the feeling of have been kidded by a bunch of greedy, money-thirsty, soulless movie producers...

Paranormal Activity 2 (2010)

Author: SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain from United Kingdom
26 December 2011

To some this will be a slow and boring film, with a few choice moments. It is mostly tension. It forces you to bring the fear yourself. Long, wide shots of large rooms, make sure you are searching each frame for something out of place or abnormal. Your mind may even play tricks on you at times. In contrast to the first film, this was a little better. The main problem I had with the original was the fact that one of the protagonists was completely unlikable. Here we have a close family, and for the most part, people don't act THAT stupid. The real star is the dog, coming off as a protective guardian, and honestly able to act scared and brave almost at the same time. There are some brilliant sections, but it never goes far enough. A third film seems to be on its way, but will it run out of steam?

Who would've thought that a trick like this would work a second time?

Author: omfgitsrohit from India
25 January 2011

Paranormal activity 2, the prequel of paranormal activity although released after its sequel initially works. That's as much credit as I can give the film. With each thud you're going to skip a heartbeat. It convinces you that while dying might be bad, living with intense fear is worse. The constant wave like noise gets under your skin and tells your instincts that something terrible is about to happen. I've covered the first half hour of the film. The remaining hour is a spoof of the first half hour. The ghost turns hospitable by opening and closing doors, but when it doesn't receive the "Thank you" that's due, it burns a man's testicles. When the teenage girl tries communicating with the ghost, the ghost starts flirting with her by saying that he wants pussy. And a hat. Since she doesn't respond positively, he wakes her up by whispering her name in her ear. Not very imaginative, is he? From here on, he goes on a series of pranks with locking her outside and triggering a false fire alarm when she's making out with her boyfriend in the pool.

Here's the twist- it's not a ghost, it's a DEMON. The head of the house refuses to acknowledge the demon's existence. Now, the sensitive demon feels insulted. The increasing anger of the demon drives the remaining half hour of the film. From here on, it works neither as a comedy nor as a horror. The film throws sucker punches by banging open every door that could possibly be opened, when you're expecting the frying pan to fall on the wife's head. The characters are not believable. The characters hold on to the camera even when the certainty of their lives is suspended by a thin thread. There's more chemistry between the camera and the people who feel it up than between the husband and the wife. To make up for that, the demon's character is well developed. He suffers from identity crisis. But the people in the house don't know that, do they? So they assume that talking about the demon would just enrage him further. How close it all came to never happening!

From here on, it's hilarious. The dog gets tossed from one corner to the other, you can't be sure if it got humped just before, because the demon's invisible, but it certainly seems so. This scene in particular, is rib crackling especially for PETA activists. Of course, the pets are always killed first. The screenwriters have obviously seen Fatal Attraction and Cape Fear. The film ends like the first one, with everyone dying. The Demon is a wrestling fan; it performs a chokehold on the husband, a choke slam on the wife and walks away with the baby (an allusion to the golden belt). Why the baby? Apparently, some old hag in his ancestral tree hadn't honoured a deal with the demon- to exchange a male infant for riches.

Rating- 2/10

A boring rehash.

Author: DustinRahksi from Canada
6 January 2013

If you are looking for a film that will put you to sleep, here you go. I could never understand why these film's were so popular. The first one may have had a big effect on the supernatural genre, but that doesn't make it good. The third one was actually pretty entertaining, but nothing great. The forth one looks like a steaming pile of excrement. And then there is this one, boring, lame, simple minded, with only one purpose, money. It is somewhat disturbing how much money these films make, considering they are mediocre at best.

The characters were bad, I didn't like any of them, and I can't blame them for their acting, it's understandable. The supposed scares are laughable bad, someone getting dragged down the stairs into a basement just looked weird. And I would like to know why ghosts are as strong as a predator and as cunning as con man. Which leads me to the stupid characters. The dad being the most annoying, with his disbelief of whats happening. The movie is one boring scene after another, with those lame quiet sections accompanied by a loud noise. The movie fails at suspense and thrills, so don't expect much.

The Best Horror Series of the Decade

Author: Jay Addison from United States
6 November 2010

When the first Paranormal Activity was released to theaters, it caused more stir than any horror movie had in years. It started as a super-super-super low budget film made by friends, and, slowly, by fantastic word of mouth it became one of the highest grossing horror films. For good reason, too; Paranormal Activity and its sequel are truly horrifying films.

In an age of movies like Saw 3D, it is difficult to find a horror movie that can genuinely scare you, and even rarer one that doesn't rely at all on blood and gore to do so. What makes the Paranormal Activity films so original is that they went back to the unfortunately-forgotten idea of slow-build and suspense; particularly in the first film, there was no sudden and quick thrills. You waited. You got chilled. The terror built and built and built, almost to the point of being unbearable. I will never forget the way the first film was able to turn the taped night-time sessions into increasingly intense prisons of fear. Each time the lights on screen went out, the fear in the audience became more and more tangible. And eventually that fear realized itself in a haunting, terrifying, perfect finale.

This sequel is, admittedly, not quite as dedicated to the slow-build style that made the first one so good; the scares come pretty quickly and pretty intensely from the start. Having said that, it is just as scary and the use of an infant was a perfectly horrifying idea. If you are expecting an average, bloody, cheap thrills horror film, you will be disappointed by Paranormal Activity. This is realistic, believable terror and it is done with an admirable reliance on slow-build suspense and subtlety that makes Paranormal Activity the best horror series of the decade.

Jay Addison

Read this if you're thinking of seeing this movie...

Author: domanxyz92
30 October 2010

Paranormal Activity 2, it was not worth the money I paid for it. I will say this it did have one and I repeat one scary scene and it was scary only for the loud a** noise that happened because of it. The surround sound of the theater was the only good part. The movie and storyline were pretty predictable and childish, so it was like every other horror movie storyline. The home-movie effect ruined it. There was one scene in the end that was awesome though. It was when a possessed chick snapped the dude's neck killing him! It was so ninja-like that I wanted to yell, "Hell Yeah!" , but some guy in front of me, who kept saying his immature commentary, beat me to it. All-in-all it was pretty stupid and i would have rather give the wasted $8.00s to a bum or burn it and watch the flames cause that would have been more interesting!(I'm a pyromaniac...), but seriously if you haven't seen it do NOT go, your not missing anything!

Move Thee Reviews: A Rehash Less Scary than the First Film

Author: Kenji Chan from Hong Kong
27 October 2010

Paranormal Activity 2 is a low-budget mockumentary rehashing the first installment.

The film is slow-paced in the first hour. Despite the director's attempt to build the tension step by step, the similar images repeatedly shown by the cameras fail to engage the audience. In the last 30 minutes, there are some creepy moments which will give you goose pimples, thanks to the demon's rumble, the dog's growls, the creaks of the door echoing eerily in the house, etc, whereas those who have watched the first film may find the tactics used familiar and the story formulaic.

To make the most out of the film, you should watch Paranormal Activity 1 first because it starts as a prequel and ends with a twist related to the first film. Besides, you should avoid spoilers and watch it in a cinema with as few talky people as possible.

Those who have watched the first film may find Paranormal Activity 2, whose tactics we have already seen, less scary.

Sloppy Seconds

Author: artful_mark from United States
25 October 2010

Sad Spoiler Alert. Ugh, you just didn't care about any of the characters but the dog and the baby. Oh, rich white couple, blecch! Man fires Hispanic maid for being concerned about bad vibes in home. He's against that crap, but has African tribal art all over his walls? Wife doesn't seem to care. Wife has bad posture. Teenager is just generally annoying. The movie starts with about 300 edits. Then cycles through every camera angle in the house to the point of absurdity. Really the most interesting thing in this movie was the automated pool cleaner, and really that's kind of sad. There was no creepy build up. In fact the first sign of demonic infestation was a total house makeover! Please, and the first noise was a sonic boom that let you know the film wasn't in overly creative hands. "People are seemingly breaking into our house every night and little hunter is scared, we need to go out for drinks, hon!" WTF? And then during the climax, it turns out that demons can just be expelled with common kitchen ingredients? Do we ever find out what happens to the nanny? I'm also glad there weren't too much of Micah and Katie as they seemed to have porked out enough for at least 2 or 3 sequels. Katie's breasts, in particular, stunning in the first film, seemed to have given up the cause in the prequel. Wish this was a "Yeah!" review, instead it's just kind of "meh".

The Paranormal Activity Series:Part 2-The Director's Cut.

Author: morrison-dylan-fan from United Kingdom
7 October 2016

Whilst taking a look at the Horror section on Netflix,I was surprised to discover that the site had all (apart from the first) of the Paranormal Activity movies on.Since having seen the first one on DVD,I decided that it would be a good time to experience the Netflix Paranormal.

The plot-

Shortly after moving into their new home,the Rey notice that when they are out of the house objects and items move or disappear.Suspecting a repeat burglar,the Rey family install a CCTV system to catch the person red handed.As the nights go by,the Rey's see no sign of the burglar,but continue to experience strange events in the house,which starts to make the Rey's fear that something paranormal may be involved.

View on the film:

Replacing original choice Kevin Greutert, (who got stuck in a contract which led to him having to direct Saw 3D instead) director Tod Williams & cinematographer Michael Simmonds replace the grainy video of the original with a crisp digital format.Whilst this presentation does give the movie a shiny glaze,it also drains the title of eerie atmosphere,due to all the shocks that take place being clear to see,and leaving no haunting sense of doubt behind.Expanding from a couple to a family unit,the screenplay by Michael R. Perry/Christopher Landon & Tom Pabst knots mythology making threads with home invasion chills.Covering every room of the house,the writers disappointingly clip the title of an anxious horror atmosphere,by including too many interchangeable family members who take away closed-off mood that the house should offer from another paranormal invasion.