IMDb > Paranormal Activity 2 (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Paranormal Activity 2

Paranormal Activity 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 36: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Better off watching The Blair Witch Project again

Author: James from Australia
28 January 2011

I saw the first one which was bad but this is really bad..basically the whole movie is so slow, doors opening, pots falling down e.t.c..really dumb cliché ghost stuff..I basically sat through the film waiting for something exciting to happen, last 20 mins wasn't too bad but it didn't save this film. Characters were boring, and I felt like I was about to fall asleep..maybe these films are better in a cinema but I highly doubt it..and now Paranormal Activity 3 is coming out later in 2011 can't wait...not. These movies are now going to become a cash cow and they are going to get worse but the masses will lap these up. This isn't film making this is garbage, it's not a horror it's a very lame thriller..but if you liked the first one I'm guessing you like this one so hey, go watch it and enjoy.

nothing special

Author: cry_wolf23 from United States
27 January 2011

this movie was so bad it makes manos hands of fate look like a blockbuster. The whole movie is like a home video anybody could make at home with no budget.the only thing that made me jump was loud noises.nothing really scary about it. this movie is a rip off of the blair witch style and the blair with project was somewhat believable.Hollywood makes this crap and it makes a lot of money.so if you want a good time waster check it out. i can't believe so many people are like wow this is a true story.i believe in the paranormal and all this but this movie proves that anybody with a video camera can make a ton of money by banging stuff around

Just OK

Author: Theresasod from United States
9 May 2014

I didn't really care for this movie. I thought there were a few good scenes, but that was about it. I will definitely see the third one though because I want to know the questions I have regarding this movie. I like how they use a different style with this movie, the way the characters act like they have no idea that they are even starring in a movie! The only good part of this movie was that fact alone, and the cool scenes that did get my attention. Overall, this movie was just barely watchable for me. I can only hope that the third one will be a tad bit better. There were times when I wished the film would have just ended, but of course, it dragged on and on without anything interesting besides just a few scenes. If you want an honest opinion, just watch it off of Netflix or something. Don't even bother buying the Blue-ray or DVD.

Superior Sequel!

Author: joben-525-633946 from United Kingdom
10 November 2012

Some films need time to form and develop.

This is certainly the case for 'Paranormal Activity 2' as for the opening 45 minutes, the pacing of the film was punishingly slow and a dreary watch for almost everyone in existence I can guarantee. Thankfully, the film's second half was more than rewarding and it increased the chills that I submitted from the original 'Paranormal Activity' significantly.

With this instalments story, you cannot call this a sequel or prequel as it would not attract to any of the terms. Taking place at the same time as the original, we are this time placed in the house of another American family, related to Kate and Micah, who undergo a similar situation to their counterparts at the same time. It's intriguing as links and connections build between the two films and the fear installed inside me was enough to satisfy my needs.

The main reason 'Paranormal Activity 2' has the edge over it's predecessor is the fact it's budget is increased by approximately almost $3 million. This gives the film an overall better structure and polish which leads to a larger variety of scares and more interesting camera viewing.

A Step-Down for a Few Reasons, but "Paranormal Activity 2" Still Delivers the Thrills Overall, and is a Very Fun Ride...

Author: MaximumMadness from United States
31 January 2012

I'm a bit torn. I feel as though my score of 6 out of 10 may be misleading. For me, a 6 out of 10 film is generally a film I really enjoyed, but felt was a bit too basic, or had some major flaws. And that's what I thought about "Paranormal Activity 2." I really, honestly enjoyed it. It's a lot of fun to watch, and is quite scary at times. I've even watched it repeatedly. It had a lot of creepy moments, it had some really funny humor, and it did something a little different with the whole "found footage" genre. But all of that being said, there were some major problems with it, hence, I had to take off a few points.

Looking back at a lot of my IMDb reviews, I always wish I could change them. I won't, just because I want to stand by my original reviews, but I will say that I gave the original "Paranormal Activity" a 7 out of 10, but in retrospect, I'd bump it up to a 9. I reviewed it based on my experience seeing it in an empty theater with my father, who doesn't like horror films, so I was viewing it in the context of a safe environment with someone who was sort-of a buzz-kill, whereas I should have reviewed it on my home-viewing experience. When I recently re-watched it, I fell in love with it in a way I hadn't before, because the at-home viewing experience in the dark by myself helped tremendously. I was able to pick up on details I had missed before, and let myself be more "immersed" by it, and I decided that it was one of my favorite recent horror films. So, officially, I am saying that the first film is a 9 out of 10 for me. Hence I excitedly watched this on NetFlix and plan on buying the third film.

I just wanted to tell you about my views on the first film to give this one something to compare to.

"Paranormal Activity 2" begins a little over a year before the original film. We follow Kristi (sister of the Katie character from her first film), her husband Daniel, her step-daughter Ali, and their newborn baby Hunter. We learn about the recent birth of Hunter and get to know the family a bit, before we cut to August, 2006, two months before the original film. Hunter is now one year old, the family have a house-sitter/nanny named Martine, and things are great.

However, one day, they return home and find that their house has been ransacked by apparent vandals- every room has been torn apart except for Hunter's. The family has security cameras installed to help monitor and prevent this from happening again, which is where most of our "found footage" comes from. (That, and the camcorder that Daniel and Ali carry around)

This is the set up for the film. Like the original, the film elapses over several weeks, and things begin slowly. At first, it's just small things- tapping on the windows or the pool-filter being removed from the pool during the nighttime. Little things that could have earthly explanations. But, over the days, the activity becomes more blatant and more violent, and the stakes are raised when Ali's research suggests that this presence may be after Hunter.

The film is quite startling at times. The horror works well to a point. The eerie sounds in particular are fantastic, and a few "jump" moments are terrifying. However, here's where one of the big problems crops up- the activity is too "harsh" for a prequel. The first film was very subtle- it wasn't until the last few days that anything truly horrifying occurred. However, in this film, the activity seems to ramp up too quickly. Doors explode open, people are pulled through the air, electricity is affected- it all happens much quicker than in the first film. It just felt like a slight betrayal to the rules set by the first film. It should have been more subtle.

The acting is generally good. But the problem is the characters- they are a bit more clichéd this time. It all feels more manufactured and "movie-like", as opposed to the real-life feeling of the first film.

Also troubling is the final act of the film, which has a lot to do with the original movie- again, it felt like a slight betrayal, because they change the rules and how we interpret the first film.

Finally, some of the activity felt too much like special effects, which took away from the film.

But all of that being said, it was still a highly enjoyable film, and worked for the most part as a decent follow-up/prequel. Like I said, this is one of those cases where the film is just too much fun to condemn it for its flaws.

I'm giving "Paranormal Activity 2" a 6 out of 10. It's flawed, but you will forgive the flaws for the frightful good time it provides. Now off to the third film!

Are you kidding me?

Author: Gabriele 'Giga'
28 October 2011

This movie is a joke, really... in the middle of it you can hear the producers laughing at you and saying: "ahahaha, thank you for your money you idiot!". The commercial ads opening the movie were way more interesting, I heard a lot of people complaining during the projection and some people left the theater before it ended. It is slow, annoying as hell, repetitive (I think the main character of the story is the pool robo-cleaner), and when I say that *nothing* happens until the last 20 minutes, I actually mean that NOTHING happens until that time.. and when that time finally comes........... well.... it sucks, like the rest of the movie.

Finally you leave the theater room, with the feeling of have been kidded by a bunch of greedy, money-thirsty, soulless movie producers...

A well done sequel, but not as memorable as the original

Author: DonFishies from Canada
31 October 2010

Creating a sequel to a film like Paranormal Activity sounds like a silly idea in theory. The film was released two years after it was made and went on to become a wild, completely unpredictable success. It struck a horrifying chord with audiences, and is one of the few movies I have seen where the participation of the audience was key to the film's overall effect. It was a memorable experience, one that cannot be replicated on DVD. So could a sequel to a film like this do any justice? Rather surprisingly, it can.

Paranormal Activity 2 revolves around the Rey family. Dan (Brian Boland) and his new wife Kristi (Sprague Grayden) have just welcomed newborn Hunter into the family, and very soon after, a weird break-in occurs in the house. Despite the family's affection for hand-held cameras, Dan gets security cameras installed around the house. Then weird, unexplained things start happening.

Paranormal Activity 2 easily could have been a phoned in sequel made specifically to bank on the original film's success. Instead, the filmmakers have crafted a film that not only ups the ante and precedents set in the original film, but enhances them as well. It gives us more characters and more cameras, and uses them to their advantage in every situation it presents. They even manage to craft a method of tying the original film into this one, in a totally unexpected way. It does what every good sequel should do – elaborate and extend the story from its predecessor. The sheer fun and surprise of some of these elements is more than worth the price of admission alone. But of course, the less you know about some of the surprises within the film, the better. It was secretive for a reason, and those going in unspoiled will no doubt enjoy the movie a lot more than those with an idea of what to expect going in.

What also works is that the film does not do away with the little scares and idiosyncrasies that made Paranormal Activity so effective. It lays them on, and builds towards some pretty horrific moments. While the original film relied on freaky and subtle special effects (the footprints and movement of the sheets come to mind immediately), this film relies more on sound and impending dread. The pumping bass gives away some of the scares a little too early in some scenes, but the unexpected high pitched sounds give way to some incredibly terrifying moments. Despite a higher budget, it felt more minimalist in a lot of ways, and showed that the filmmakers did not let success go to their heads. They wanted to maintain the same sense and style of the original film, and never once do they change this wise mentality. There are scenes that are much more elaborate and look like there was more money involved, but for the most part, it looks just as cheap as the original.

The experience of watching with an audience is also maintained here. There are plenty of moments of breathlessness, zany suspense and wild "What the hell is going on?!" moments scattered throughout the film. While the audience is more honed and prepared for some of these scenes than they were in Paranormal Activity, a lot of them still manage to be just as unpredictable and crazy as ever. While I did not see the film with a sold out crowd like I did last year, having a rather large crowd still managed to make the film just as scary as it should be. This is another film that will not be anywhere near as ridiculously effective on DVD.

If there is anything that works against the film (outside of a rather ludicrously bad effects scene involving a pool cleaner), it is that the film takes a bit too long getting around to hooking the audience on for the ride. Part of this is because the film's primary characters are nowhere near as captivating as Katie and Micah were. We care about what happens to this family, and we feel the pains and scares they are going through. But we never see the irresistible chemistry or horrifying realism of what is happening on screen the same way. In this case, it is much clearer that we are watching a movie, and the illusion of it being "real" footage is never there. Part of it is also due to the first act being padded out with a bit too much dialogue and set-up for what we can expect to come. I liked these early moments a lot more than most people did, but I still think they could have been significantly stronger and better honed.

I also feel that, despite the lengths everyone went to creating a film that did not simply cash in on a brand, its lasting impact was nowhere near as intense and petrifying as the original film. It admirably tries, but it never quite reaches the same heights. It can try all it wants to be just as good, but the lasting effect and charm of Paranormal Activity was just how wildly original it was. It is not an easy film to replicate, and while I admired all the techniques used in this sequel to make it feel in line and a worthy sequel, it simply cannot match up and go the distance as a film that betters the original.

I was greatly surprised by what Paranormal Activity 2 has to offer its audience, but must contain my enthusiasm for it. It is the rare sequel that does everything right, but it just never manages to be anywhere near as strong a final product as the original film. It is by no means a disappointment, just simply nowhere near as effective as the original film. And that is not necessarily a bad thing.

7/10.

(This review also appeared on http://www.geekspeakmagazine.com).

Paranormal Activity 2 (2010)

Author: SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain from United Kingdom
26 December 2011

To some this will be a slow and boring film, with a few choice moments. It is mostly tension. It forces you to bring the fear yourself. Long, wide shots of large rooms, make sure you are searching each frame for something out of place or abnormal. Your mind may even play tricks on you at times. In contrast to the first film, this was a little better. The main problem I had with the original was the fact that one of the protagonists was completely unlikable. Here we have a close family, and for the most part, people don't act THAT stupid. The real star is the dog, coming off as a protective guardian, and honestly able to act scared and brave almost at the same time. There are some brilliant sections, but it never goes far enough. A third film seems to be on its way, but will it run out of steam?

Who would've thought that a trick like this would work a second time?

Author: omfgitsrohit from India
25 January 2011

Paranormal activity 2, the prequel of paranormal activity although released after its sequel initially works. That's as much credit as I can give the film. With each thud you're going to skip a heartbeat. It convinces you that while dying might be bad, living with intense fear is worse. The constant wave like noise gets under your skin and tells your instincts that something terrible is about to happen. I've covered the first half hour of the film. The remaining hour is a spoof of the first half hour. The ghost turns hospitable by opening and closing doors, but when it doesn't receive the "Thank you" that's due, it burns a man's testicles. When the teenage girl tries communicating with the ghost, the ghost starts flirting with her by saying that he wants pussy. And a hat. Since she doesn't respond positively, he wakes her up by whispering her name in her ear. Not very imaginative, is he? From here on, he goes on a series of pranks with locking her outside and triggering a false fire alarm when she's making out with her boyfriend in the pool.

Here's the twist- it's not a ghost, it's a DEMON. The head of the house refuses to acknowledge the demon's existence. Now, the sensitive demon feels insulted. The increasing anger of the demon drives the remaining half hour of the film. From here on, it works neither as a comedy nor as a horror. The film throws sucker punches by banging open every door that could possibly be opened, when you're expecting the frying pan to fall on the wife's head. The characters are not believable. The characters hold on to the camera even when the certainty of their lives is suspended by a thin thread. There's more chemistry between the camera and the people who feel it up than between the husband and the wife. To make up for that, the demon's character is well developed. He suffers from identity crisis. But the people in the house don't know that, do they? So they assume that talking about the demon would just enrage him further. How close it all came to never happening!

From here on, it's hilarious. The dog gets tossed from one corner to the other, you can't be sure if it got humped just before, because the demon's invisible, but it certainly seems so. This scene in particular, is rib crackling especially for PETA activists. Of course, the pets are always killed first. The screenwriters have obviously seen Fatal Attraction and Cape Fear. The film ends like the first one, with everyone dying. The Demon is a wrestling fan; it performs a chokehold on the husband, a choke slam on the wife and walks away with the baby (an allusion to the golden belt). Why the baby? Apparently, some old hag in his ancestral tree hadn't honoured a deal with the demon- to exchange a male infant for riches.

Rating- 2/10

A boring rehash.

Author: DustinRahksi from Canada
6 January 2013

If you are looking for a film that will put you to sleep, here you go. I could never understand why these film's were so popular. The first one may have had a big effect on the supernatural genre, but that doesn't make it good. The third one was actually pretty entertaining, but nothing great. The forth one looks like a steaming pile of excrement. And then there is this one, boring, lame, simple minded, with only one purpose, money. It is somewhat disturbing how much money these films make, considering they are mediocre at best.

The characters were bad, I didn't like any of them, and I can't blame them for their acting, it's understandable. The supposed scares are laughable bad, someone getting dragged down the stairs into a basement just looked weird. And I would like to know why ghosts are as strong as a predator and as cunning as con man. Which leads me to the stupid characters. The dad being the most annoying, with his disbelief of whats happening. The movie is one boring scene after another, with those lame quiet sections accompanied by a loud noise. The movie fails at suspense and thrills, so don't expect much.