IMDb > Paranormal Activity 2 (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Paranormal Activity 2

Paranormal Activity 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 36: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

10 mins of actual film and about an hour and a half of nothing.

Author: riven901 from United States
16 July 2011

I expected this to be like Paranormal Activity 1 so I set my expectations real low. The only reason I even had a small interest in watching the 2nd was to find out what had happened to the missing girl in the 1st one. ohoho, little did I know that this movie's timeline is exactly the same as the first. I wouldn't even call this a prequel or even a movie.

Nothing irritates me more than useless footage and there is plenty of it in this film. I can't even remember how many times I was looking at a scene of a pool cleaner or a normal looking front yard. OOOooh, we find out later the pool cleaner gets out of the water on its own. REALLY? This movie is actually a PG film about an annoying invisible boy taking pool cleaners out of the pool, closing doors, and dropping pans.

The climax of the movie is about as much as a middle finger to the audience as you can get. Remember that girl from the 1st movie? They took her and killed off the 2 main characters in the most unhorrific way possible. A snap of the neck and a push to the wall in a span of 30 seconds. Just when I thought the movie was getting good it was as if they ran out of their 3 mil budget. 3 mil?! The 1st one had a couple thousand dollar budget and there's nothing different between these films. Oh that aggravates me and even more when I find out how much this movie made in profit. I am one of the suckers that contributed to that number but they'll have to rob me of my free will if they think they'll get more.

Plot Mauled by Bears

Author: Shellfish from United States
15 May 2011

It's a sequel, not supposed to be as good as the first, and yet I was still pretty let-down by this sad excuse for a working sequel. Three complaints:

1. WHY were the two movies intertwined? What a terrible idea! You know what happens when you write an interwoven sequel to a movie that wasn't made with such a plot in mind? You get ridiculous, gaping, irritating plot holes and a movie that makes NO good sense.

2. Pacing totally sucked. I'm not an impatient person, but this movie had me YAWNING! Tossing, turning, cleaning, anything I could do to pass what seemed like an hour of NOTHING happening! Maybe I was a bit amped up to see what was going on because I was trying to figure out what the hell the movie could be about since it happened before the first one!!!

3. Plot again. Micah finds what he thinks is haunting his girlfriend in the first movie. Possession explained. THEN teenage daughter finds a COMPLETELY different explanation for what's happening in the second flick. And they are allowed to coexist like that. Some questions that are just eating me alive: If the 'demon' wanted to brat, why does it possess mommy and then aunty? Why not wait till the kid was old enough to possess on its own? And you're telling me that the whole time this crap was going on at one sister's house and the other sister doesn't even HEAR about it? Like, 'hey, I know you were getting haunted last month and now its at my house... you're right they're probably unrelated'.

Fools. They could have made a PA2 that had NOTHING to do with the first one and still made a good movie! Instead, what do we get but this sad plot and the same rehashed gimmicks? Pathetic.

Two stars. One scene was actually pretty cool/surprising

Not as good as the first

Author: jfgibson73 from United States
19 April 2011

I didn't think this movie was as well written as the first. The original built the tension much better. This movie moved even slower than the first, which was pretty sparse itself. About an hour in, I had gotten really tired of waiting for any new developments.

The story begins with a couple bringing home a new baby, and as strange things begin to happen, their teenage daughter figures out that a demon wants the child. It is supposedly trying to collect a debt--the first born male--since someone in the family made a deal with a demon to gain wealth. Somehow, the husband transfers the demon to his sister-in-law, which puts into motion the events we see in PA #1.

At the end of the movie, we see Katie the night after she's killed Micah. She goes to her sisters house, kills her and her husband, and walks off with the baby, never to be seen again.

I think we can be sure this whole backstory was thought up after the first movie was written, because we know the original ending had Katie killing herself while possessed. So the idea that the demon wanted Hunter rather than Katie was new. If there really is a part three, I don't care to sit through it. Whatever technique made the first one enjoyable was lost this time.

Boring and too strenuous to watch

Author: Catharina_Sweden from Sweden
11 April 2011

I am no fan of these movies which are supposed to be amateur documentaries. Shaking cameras, bad sound (which makes it especially taxing for a person with another mother tongue to understand what is being said, as you have to concentrate so hard), blurry pictures, dark pictures taken with a night camera etc.. I think it gets so strenuous to watch them, that it becomes more "work" than relaxation...

Also, this movie was slow and boring. "The Blair Witch Project" in the same genre was at least exciting all the time. The ending was also unsatisfactory: too sudden and abrupt and did not explain anything...

This movie also belong to the "haunted house" genre, and as in most of those movies you become very irritated with the owners' irrational behaviour. I mean: in reality people would have fled from the house much earlier than when characters in these movies finally attempt it. You do that if you are normal, to protect your children - whether you believe the disturbances are supernatural or not. This stupidity in the main characters, makes it difficult to identify with them.

Still, I give it three stars instead of one, because my heart beat went up a few times, before I became too bored to care... and that (the heart beat) is a prerequisite of a horror movie! :-)

Better off watching The Blair Witch Project again

Author: James from Australia
28 January 2011

I saw the first one which was bad but this is really bad..basically the whole movie is so slow, doors opening, pots falling down e.t.c..really dumb cliché ghost stuff..I basically sat through the film waiting for something exciting to happen, last 20 mins wasn't too bad but it didn't save this film. Characters were boring, and I felt like I was about to fall asleep..maybe these films are better in a cinema but I highly doubt it..and now Paranormal Activity 3 is coming out later in 2011 can't wait...not. These movies are now going to become a cash cow and they are going to get worse but the masses will lap these up. This isn't film making this is garbage, it's not a horror it's a very lame thriller..but if you liked the first one I'm guessing you like this one so hey, go watch it and enjoy.

nothing special

Author: cry_wolf23 from United States
27 January 2011

this movie was so bad it makes manos hands of fate look like a blockbuster. The whole movie is like a home video anybody could make at home with no budget.the only thing that made me jump was loud noises.nothing really scary about it. this movie is a rip off of the blair witch style and the blair with project was somewhat believable.Hollywood makes this crap and it makes a lot of money.so if you want a good time waster check it out. i can't believe so many people are like wow this is a true story.i believe in the paranormal and all this but this movie proves that anybody with a video camera can make a ton of money by banging stuff around

Just OK

Author: Theresasod from United States
9 May 2014

I didn't really care for this movie. I thought there were a few good scenes, but that was about it. I will definitely see the third one though because I want to know the questions I have regarding this movie. I like how they use a different style with this movie, the way the characters act like they have no idea that they are even starring in a movie! The only good part of this movie was that fact alone, and the cool scenes that did get my attention. Overall, this movie was just barely watchable for me. I can only hope that the third one will be a tad bit better. There were times when I wished the film would have just ended, but of course, it dragged on and on without anything interesting besides just a few scenes. If you want an honest opinion, just watch it off of Netflix or something. Don't even bother buying the Blue-ray or DVD.

Superior Sequel!

Author: joben-525-633946 from United Kingdom
10 November 2012

Some films need time to form and develop.

This is certainly the case for 'Paranormal Activity 2' as for the opening 45 minutes, the pacing of the film was punishingly slow and a dreary watch for almost everyone in existence I can guarantee. Thankfully, the film's second half was more than rewarding and it increased the chills that I submitted from the original 'Paranormal Activity' significantly.

With this instalments story, you cannot call this a sequel or prequel as it would not attract to any of the terms. Taking place at the same time as the original, we are this time placed in the house of another American family, related to Kate and Micah, who undergo a similar situation to their counterparts at the same time. It's intriguing as links and connections build between the two films and the fear installed inside me was enough to satisfy my needs.

The main reason 'Paranormal Activity 2' has the edge over it's predecessor is the fact it's budget is increased by approximately almost $3 million. This gives the film an overall better structure and polish which leads to a larger variety of scares and more interesting camera viewing.

A Step-Down for a Few Reasons, but "Paranormal Activity 2" Still Delivers the Thrills Overall, and is a Very Fun Ride...

Author: MaximumMadness from United States
31 January 2012

I'm a bit torn. I feel as though my score of 6 out of 10 may be misleading. For me, a 6 out of 10 film is generally a film I really enjoyed, but felt was a bit too basic, or had some major flaws. And that's what I thought about "Paranormal Activity 2." I really, honestly enjoyed it. It's a lot of fun to watch, and is quite scary at times. I've even watched it repeatedly. It had a lot of creepy moments, it had some really funny humor, and it did something a little different with the whole "found footage" genre. But all of that being said, there were some major problems with it, hence, I had to take off a few points.

Looking back at a lot of my IMDb reviews, I always wish I could change them. I won't, just because I want to stand by my original reviews, but I will say that I gave the original "Paranormal Activity" a 7 out of 10, but in retrospect, I'd bump it up to a 9. I reviewed it based on my experience seeing it in an empty theater with my father, who doesn't like horror films, so I was viewing it in the context of a safe environment with someone who was sort-of a buzz-kill, whereas I should have reviewed it on my home-viewing experience. When I recently re-watched it, I fell in love with it in a way I hadn't before, because the at-home viewing experience in the dark by myself helped tremendously. I was able to pick up on details I had missed before, and let myself be more "immersed" by it, and I decided that it was one of my favorite recent horror films. So, officially, I am saying that the first film is a 9 out of 10 for me. Hence I excitedly watched this on NetFlix and plan on buying the third film.

I just wanted to tell you about my views on the first film to give this one something to compare to.

"Paranormal Activity 2" begins a little over a year before the original film. We follow Kristi (sister of the Katie character from her first film), her husband Daniel, her step-daughter Ali, and their newborn baby Hunter. We learn about the recent birth of Hunter and get to know the family a bit, before we cut to August, 2006, two months before the original film. Hunter is now one year old, the family have a house-sitter/nanny named Martine, and things are great.

However, one day, they return home and find that their house has been ransacked by apparent vandals- every room has been torn apart except for Hunter's. The family has security cameras installed to help monitor and prevent this from happening again, which is where most of our "found footage" comes from. (That, and the camcorder that Daniel and Ali carry around)

This is the set up for the film. Like the original, the film elapses over several weeks, and things begin slowly. At first, it's just small things- tapping on the windows or the pool-filter being removed from the pool during the nighttime. Little things that could have earthly explanations. But, over the days, the activity becomes more blatant and more violent, and the stakes are raised when Ali's research suggests that this presence may be after Hunter.

The film is quite startling at times. The horror works well to a point. The eerie sounds in particular are fantastic, and a few "jump" moments are terrifying. However, here's where one of the big problems crops up- the activity is too "harsh" for a prequel. The first film was very subtle- it wasn't until the last few days that anything truly horrifying occurred. However, in this film, the activity seems to ramp up too quickly. Doors explode open, people are pulled through the air, electricity is affected- it all happens much quicker than in the first film. It just felt like a slight betrayal to the rules set by the first film. It should have been more subtle.

The acting is generally good. But the problem is the characters- they are a bit more clichéd this time. It all feels more manufactured and "movie-like", as opposed to the real-life feeling of the first film.

Also troubling is the final act of the film, which has a lot to do with the original movie- again, it felt like a slight betrayal, because they change the rules and how we interpret the first film.

Finally, some of the activity felt too much like special effects, which took away from the film.

But all of that being said, it was still a highly enjoyable film, and worked for the most part as a decent follow-up/prequel. Like I said, this is one of those cases where the film is just too much fun to condemn it for its flaws.

I'm giving "Paranormal Activity 2" a 6 out of 10. It's flawed, but you will forgive the flaws for the frightful good time it provides. Now off to the third film!

Are you kidding me?

Author: Gabriele 'Giga'
28 October 2011

This movie is a joke, really... in the middle of it you can hear the producers laughing at you and saying: "ahahaha, thank you for your money you idiot!". The commercial ads opening the movie were way more interesting, I heard a lot of people complaining during the projection and some people left the theater before it ended. It is slow, annoying as hell, repetitive (I think the main character of the story is the pool robo-cleaner), and when I say that *nothing* happens until the last 20 minutes, I actually mean that NOTHING happens until that time.. and when that time finally comes........... well.... it sucks, like the rest of the movie.

Finally you leave the theater room, with the feeling of have been kidded by a bunch of greedy, money-thirsty, soulless movie producers...