IMDb > Paranormal Activity 2 (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Paranormal Activity 2

Paranormal Activity 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 36: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Disappointment same as 1st one.

Author: xcreatureofthenight from Slovenia
4 August 2011

I don't know what's so thrilling about these movies that people start to make such a hype about them. I didn't go watch it with high expectation, cause already 1st one was not scary and a complete waste of time, this on the other hand is even worse. you're in some kind of suspense all the time, cause you're waiting for that climax moment when something really scary will happen, but it never comes, so it falls flat and at the end you're left with a blank screen for a few seconds and just when you think maybe one last 'shocker' moment is about to occur maybe like in 1st one, you wait there for credits rolling and at the end you end up just sitting there realizing it'll never happen either. acting is way worse than 1st and the shots are less effective as well. not recommending as its practically just like a home video trying to scare you with some growling poor effects and pans flying and doors opening for which none come out as scary, but rather funny. Only thing that maybe this movie will leave you with for a few min after watching it is this feeling of thinking hmm maybe we are not alone in this house after all either, but it wears out just as quick as it comes, pretty much same as movie.

Predictably not as good...

Author: chucknorrisrules from United Kingdom
25 July 2011

I don't think I can find much to say about Paranormal Activity 2 except for that predictably because many of the things it does in the first film are done in the second film, the sequel isn't as proficient as its predecessor at grabbing you by the throat and nearly strangling you to death.

Interestingly, this film sheds some light on the subject of the films, and the origins of the spiritual creature that mercilessly torments the protagonist. This film takes part as a prequel, when Katie's sister brings her newborn baby son home, and soon reveals the reasons for the demon's appearance.

SPOILER A few reasons for the actions in the first film are revealed in the second.

Firstly it is implied that in the murky past of the Featherstone family, a member of the family made a deal with a demon to give said demon their first male heir in exchange for wealth and fortune.

Second, the reason for Katie's torment is revealed to be because of the father passing it on to her to save his family (which unfortunately - if you've seen what happens to poor Katie in the first film - makes him and his family seem somewhat cowardly and unsympathetic with the exception of Hunter. As a result, the fear and shock of the ending when said demon now liberated from its prison at Katie and Micah's house and determined to get what it wants, takes it out on Katie's sister and brother in law, is unfortunately replaced with a 'yeah, you deserved that' sort of reaction, which I feel is a bit of a weakness, especially since said ending - though still scary - is nowhere near as horrifying as the ending to the first).

These revelations are interesting and add to the story in my opinion, but if the mystery of the films makes it worth watching then you probably should avoid this one.

The film is still tense enough to warrant you trying not to look at the screen for fear of horrible things to emerge in front of you, but after the first it doesn't have nearly the same impact. At the end of the day, it's a fun scarefest to watch, as long as you don't expect it to be on a par with the first (sequels rarely are anyway).

10 mins of actual film and about an hour and a half of nothing.

Author: riven901 from United States
16 July 2011

I expected this to be like Paranormal Activity 1 so I set my expectations real low. The only reason I even had a small interest in watching the 2nd was to find out what had happened to the missing girl in the 1st one. ohoho, little did I know that this movie's timeline is exactly the same as the first. I wouldn't even call this a prequel or even a movie.

Nothing irritates me more than useless footage and there is plenty of it in this film. I can't even remember how many times I was looking at a scene of a pool cleaner or a normal looking front yard. OOOooh, we find out later the pool cleaner gets out of the water on its own. REALLY? This movie is actually a PG film about an annoying invisible boy taking pool cleaners out of the pool, closing doors, and dropping pans.

The climax of the movie is about as much as a middle finger to the audience as you can get. Remember that girl from the 1st movie? They took her and killed off the 2 main characters in the most unhorrific way possible. A snap of the neck and a push to the wall in a span of 30 seconds. Just when I thought the movie was getting good it was as if they ran out of their 3 mil budget. 3 mil?! The 1st one had a couple thousand dollar budget and there's nothing different between these films. Oh that aggravates me and even more when I find out how much this movie made in profit. I am one of the suckers that contributed to that number but they'll have to rob me of my free will if they think they'll get more.

Plot Mauled by Bears

Author: Shellfish from United States
15 May 2011

It's a sequel, not supposed to be as good as the first, and yet I was still pretty let-down by this sad excuse for a working sequel. Three complaints:

1. WHY were the two movies intertwined? What a terrible idea! You know what happens when you write an interwoven sequel to a movie that wasn't made with such a plot in mind? You get ridiculous, gaping, irritating plot holes and a movie that makes NO good sense.

2. Pacing totally sucked. I'm not an impatient person, but this movie had me YAWNING! Tossing, turning, cleaning, anything I could do to pass what seemed like an hour of NOTHING happening! Maybe I was a bit amped up to see what was going on because I was trying to figure out what the hell the movie could be about since it happened before the first one!!!

3. Plot again. Micah finds what he thinks is haunting his girlfriend in the first movie. Possession explained. THEN teenage daughter finds a COMPLETELY different explanation for what's happening in the second flick. And they are allowed to coexist like that. Some questions that are just eating me alive: If the 'demon' wanted to brat, why does it possess mommy and then aunty? Why not wait till the kid was old enough to possess on its own? And you're telling me that the whole time this crap was going on at one sister's house and the other sister doesn't even HEAR about it? Like, 'hey, I know you were getting haunted last month and now its at my house... you're right they're probably unrelated'.

Fools. They could have made a PA2 that had NOTHING to do with the first one and still made a good movie! Instead, what do we get but this sad plot and the same rehashed gimmicks? Pathetic.

Two stars. One scene was actually pretty cool/surprising

Not as good as the first

Author: jfgibson73 from United States
19 April 2011

I didn't think this movie was as well written as the first. The original built the tension much better. This movie moved even slower than the first, which was pretty sparse itself. About an hour in, I had gotten really tired of waiting for any new developments.

The story begins with a couple bringing home a new baby, and as strange things begin to happen, their teenage daughter figures out that a demon wants the child. It is supposedly trying to collect a debt--the first born male--since someone in the family made a deal with a demon to gain wealth. Somehow, the husband transfers the demon to his sister-in-law, which puts into motion the events we see in PA #1.

At the end of the movie, we see Katie the night after she's killed Micah. She goes to her sisters house, kills her and her husband, and walks off with the baby, never to be seen again.

I think we can be sure this whole backstory was thought up after the first movie was written, because we know the original ending had Katie killing herself while possessed. So the idea that the demon wanted Hunter rather than Katie was new. If there really is a part three, I don't care to sit through it. Whatever technique made the first one enjoyable was lost this time.

Boring and too strenuous to watch

Author: Catharina_Sweden from Sweden
11 April 2011

I am no fan of these movies which are supposed to be amateur documentaries. Shaking cameras, bad sound (which makes it especially taxing for a person with another mother tongue to understand what is being said, as you have to concentrate so hard), blurry pictures, dark pictures taken with a night camera etc.. I think it gets so strenuous to watch them, that it becomes more "work" than relaxation...

Also, this movie was slow and boring. "The Blair Witch Project" in the same genre was at least exciting all the time. The ending was also unsatisfactory: too sudden and abrupt and did not explain anything...

This movie also belong to the "haunted house" genre, and as in most of those movies you become very irritated with the owners' irrational behaviour. I mean: in reality people would have fled from the house much earlier than when characters in these movies finally attempt it. You do that if you are normal, to protect your children - whether you believe the disturbances are supernatural or not. This stupidity in the main characters, makes it difficult to identify with them.

Still, I give it three stars instead of one, because my heart beat went up a few times, before I became too bored to care... and that (the heart beat) is a prerequisite of a horror movie! :-)

Better off watching The Blair Witch Project again

Author: James from Australia
28 January 2011

I saw the first one which was bad but this is really bad..basically the whole movie is so slow, doors opening, pots falling down e.t.c..really dumb cliché ghost stuff..I basically sat through the film waiting for something exciting to happen, last 20 mins wasn't too bad but it didn't save this film. Characters were boring, and I felt like I was about to fall asleep..maybe these films are better in a cinema but I highly doubt it..and now Paranormal Activity 3 is coming out later in 2011 can't wait...not. These movies are now going to become a cash cow and they are going to get worse but the masses will lap these up. This isn't film making this is garbage, it's not a horror it's a very lame thriller..but if you liked the first one I'm guessing you like this one so hey, go watch it and enjoy.

nothing special

Author: cry_wolf23 from United States
27 January 2011

this movie was so bad it makes manos hands of fate look like a blockbuster. The whole movie is like a home video anybody could make at home with no budget.the only thing that made me jump was loud noises.nothing really scary about it. this movie is a rip off of the blair witch style and the blair with project was somewhat believable.Hollywood makes this crap and it makes a lot of money.so if you want a good time waster check it out. i can't believe so many people are like wow this is a true story.i believe in the paranormal and all this but this movie proves that anybody with a video camera can make a ton of money by banging stuff around

Just OK

Author: Theresasod from United States
9 May 2014

I didn't really care for this movie. I thought there were a few good scenes, but that was about it. I will definitely see the third one though because I want to know the questions I have regarding this movie. I like how they use a different style with this movie, the way the characters act like they have no idea that they are even starring in a movie! The only good part of this movie was that fact alone, and the cool scenes that did get my attention. Overall, this movie was just barely watchable for me. I can only hope that the third one will be a tad bit better. There were times when I wished the film would have just ended, but of course, it dragged on and on without anything interesting besides just a few scenes. If you want an honest opinion, just watch it off of Netflix or something. Don't even bother buying the Blue-ray or DVD.

Superior Sequel!

Author: joben-525-633946 from United Kingdom
10 November 2012

Some films need time to form and develop.

This is certainly the case for 'Paranormal Activity 2' as for the opening 45 minutes, the pacing of the film was punishingly slow and a dreary watch for almost everyone in existence I can guarantee. Thankfully, the film's second half was more than rewarding and it increased the chills that I submitted from the original 'Paranormal Activity' significantly.

With this instalments story, you cannot call this a sequel or prequel as it would not attract to any of the terms. Taking place at the same time as the original, we are this time placed in the house of another American family, related to Kate and Micah, who undergo a similar situation to their counterparts at the same time. It's intriguing as links and connections build between the two films and the fear installed inside me was enough to satisfy my needs.

The main reason 'Paranormal Activity 2' has the edge over it's predecessor is the fact it's budget is increased by approximately almost $3 million. This gives the film an overall better structure and polish which leads to a larger variety of scares and more interesting camera viewing.