IMDb > Paranormal Activity 2 (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Paranormal Activity 2

Paranormal Activity 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 36: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Flaw'd

Author: musanna-ahmed from United Kingdom
29 October 2010

So I went to go and see this film hoping it'd be scarier, and in general, just overall better than the first which in my opinion sucked.

The film began really slow - took just over 20 minutes to get engaged with the "paranormal activity". In that time it was incredibly dull. Now you may think that 20 minutes isn't bad to get engaged into a film but for one that's just under 90 minutes, it's rather slow.

There was about 15 loud, bound-to-make-you-jump moments because they're unpredictable/unexpected. Hardly made me jump but I can assure readers that are more faint-hearted or jump easily that it'll be a jumping fest for them when they watch this. Some moments were freaky but some were just "rest assured, it's only this/that" (something like the pan falling/cupboards opening).

It intertwines with the first one quite well as a prequel showing where the burnt picture shown came from and why Katie is at Micah's house in the first one, and then it turns into a sequel at the end showing the night after Micah's death and what Katie does to the house in this house when possessed.

However a flaw with this sequel part is that if you watched the original version where the police shot Katie, you'd have no idea where she came from in this one.

Personally I think the time and day displaying was not needed,I mean does it really matter if it's 1:41am? Especially when time does not play a part of the demonic presence. We know that it occurs during the nights and this is clearly shown with the camera's colour so why show the time? On the whole, better and scarier than the first film (which I had hoped for) and I suppose it was worth paying for. It's one to watch at the cinema unless you own some spectacular surround sound system.

If The Last Exorcism made you jump, this will DEFINITELY make you jump. If you got scared of The Last Exorcism, watch this for something freakier. If you thought The Last Exorcism was rubbish, I suppose this is something better to watch.

Scarier and better than the original.

Author: Paigedowns91 from United States
26 October 2014

Now after a couple years of this film being out I rewatched it the other day. I still think out of all the paranormal films I find this to be the most engaging, and scary film out of the series. It was better paced than the original, had more likable and relatable characters, and delivered more well executed scares. It did have some shortcomings...I wish the directors of this series could find a better way to film things a little more naturally (they achieved this slightly with having cameras set up for security in certain rooms in the house, but some of the shots with the characters holding personal cameras were not as natural (conversations about possibly a ghost being the young daughter's dead mother for example) could have been done on the security cameras and just have the scene moved to a room where those cameras were set up. I understand the more intimate aspect of having the personal camera shots but i feel like those should have been reserved for (shit hitting the fan moments, and when they wanted to show the aftermath of supernatural activity.) If this would have been tweaked a little I think the film would actually have been way more natural feeling and believable.

Just OK

Author: Theresasod from United States
9 May 2014

I didn't really care for this movie. I thought there were a few good scenes, but that was about it. I will definitely see the third one though because I want to know the questions I have regarding this movie. I like how they use a different style with this movie, the way the characters act like they have no idea that they are even starring in a movie! The only good part of this movie was that fact alone, and the cool scenes that did get my attention. Overall, this movie was just barely watchable for me. I can only hope that the third one will be a tad bit better. There were times when I wished the film would have just ended, but of course, it dragged on and on without anything interesting besides just a few scenes. If you want an honest opinion, just watch it off of Netflix or something. Don't even bother buying the Blue-ray or DVD.

More Prequel than Sequel

Author: Scarjo from United States
2 May 2014

This Sequel is more of an explanation of the original, with a little bit of a continuation to the story. It tells the story of katie's(from the first Paranormal Activity) sister, Kristi and her family, which includes her Husband Daniel, her Stepdaughter Ali and her baby son with Daniel named Hunter. There's also a German Shepherd Dog. After their house appears broken into, but nothing is stolen, they decide to install security cameras outside of the house, and in every room to catch the intruder. But it turns out not to be a person who is breaking into their home, it's an evil invisible being that lives in the basement. This film sort of feels like it's repeating the original's formula, with pretty much the same type of scares, only with a bigger budget. However it's still manages to be very scary, especially in the last 20 minutes. Since now, there is much more to the story than just Katie and Micah from the original, and things are starting to be explained more(not everything keep in mind), the idea of this just being a simple Paranormal Activity kind of thing is starting to become less so. Also, the fact that there are more cameras in this one than in the first movie, you get to see more happening, which can be good and bad. The good, you get some really scary moments, the bad, catching everything that's happening can sometimes kill the suspense. The other interesting difference that this one has that the original did not have much of, is violence, just watch the last five minutes for example. Nevertheless, Paranormal Activity 2 is still a very effective, realistically creepy and frightening movie. But in my opinion, the original is way better. Domestic:$84.7 Million + Foreign:$92.7 Million = Worldwide:$177.5 Million.

More of the same

Author: mutty-mcflea from Lincolnshire, UK
6 April 2014

Almost exactly the same as the first film but lacking the foreboding atmosphere, 'Paranormal Activity 2' doesn't make much of a case for its own existence. It's watchable without being particularly engaging, so it plods by painlessly enough, but it constantly walks the edge of boredom.

Somewhat interestingly, it's set before, during and after the original movie but, not as interestingly, is comprised largely of shots of empty rooms; uneventful to the point of self parody, it's really only in the last half hour that anything happens, and only in the last ten minutes that anything scary happens.

Ho hum.

Exceptionally fun and entertaining sequel

Author: GL84 from Los Angeles, Ca
17 October 2013

Convinced a strange series of household disturbances are the result of intruders, a family's efforts to contain the culprits on hidden cameras result in them discovering evil spirits are haunting the house and obsessed with their danger, putting them in danger to get out alive.

This turned out to be a wholly entertaining effort on it's own and is certainly better than the original. The fact that this one finally gives us a storyline plausibility for the hauntings is where it gets a majority of the positives here, as this is a fairly new idea that's in play which is so rarely used it's a shame that so few use it that it feels new and original for it's being utilized. As well, the fact that this makes such a cool impact on the proceedings of the film within that there's a far more damaging take on the actions against the family, as there's finally a reason for the hauntings to take place here since it plays in nicely with this story, and those hauntings are just so much fun. From drawers and dishes clattering open at just unexpected times in one massive strike to lifting the infant out of the crib through seemingly-invisible means, itself a chilling sequence, to similar scenes attacking the family itself that make for a non-stop continuation during the finale, this has some rather fun scenes in here that make it quite enjoyable and gets a few jumps out of it. There's still some flaws here, mainly in the way it's supposed to interact with the first one that never feels at all like the events are connected beyond the shared cast, since the events don't really line up all that well and none of what's explained in here gives an explanation for what happened in the first one, especially when it comes to the finale which is just a mess. The first-person camera isn't an annoyance to the tune the first one was, but it's still pretty hard to make stuff out at times which again really hampers what's going on within the scene when you can't tell what's happening, and with a slow build-up it takes a while to get going with the hauntings since the set-up doesn't allow for any on-screen happenings until later on in the film. Overall, though, it's still quite fun.

Rated R: Graphic Language, Mild Violence, children-in-jeopardy and animals in danger.

verynormal

Author: jacklmauro from United States
24 October 2011

(Cut to final point/spoiler, for the true punch). The first had...well, ye olde 'Blair Witch' simplicity going for it. This prequel/sequel is just, sadly, an uninteresting mess. All right, sure, there is still that inherently creepy vibe of watching the footage. Then, I will give some credit for the bravery of trying the prequel angle. The idea of the sisters as sharing the demon haunting - could be very interesting. But the pacing here is so lopsided, it's painful. Add to this the father and the maid as stock characters (defiantly no-nonsense dude and frightened ethnic) and a basement crescendo that is just impossible to understand, and you get very, very little. Spoilers!! WHY does it never occur to anyone in these things to go out to the freaking lawn, when things are going berserk? Why are no friends and family being recruited to keep the house nicely full of people, until a plan of some kind can be made? Lastly: this is clearly a tough demon. A quick, home-made exorcism from the Yuppie dad, and he skidaddles down the street to possess the other sister, to get the job done? That's the trouble with demons today. No staying power.

What happened before Paranormal Activity

Author: david-sarkies from Australia
22 October 2011

In some ways this is a better movie than the first, but then Peli had a lot more money to work with this time and previously, so he could afford to splash out. Looking at it from a technical point of view, this one is much more complicated than the first, particularly since Peli is now using a baby and a dog (both of which are very difficult to make movies with at the best of times). Also the special effects are somewhat more impressive, namely because in this film he is using security cameras, so there are a lot more continuous shots and a lot more subtle things can be filmed. In the first movie the plot was limited by a single camera which means that only when the camera was filming, and the spot in which the camera was filming, could be shown. Not so in this film.

I guess Paranormal Activity 2 expands on what we saw in the original film, and with the extra budget, can be better with some of the things he shows. The shock value in this film is higher, due to the ability to use security cameras (and the scene where all of the cupboards in the kitchen fly open is one example, also when the demon drags her about the house when nobody else is home).

However there are some strange situations, such as when the fire spontaneously erupts in the kitchen and we never see the security camera footage leading up to it. Maybe it is because it is being left to our imagination, but I doubt that it could have been too hard, particularly since he is able to do a lot of other things.

The basement scene at the end was somewhat contrived, namely because I find it difficult to believe that the character would carry a video camera around the basement while trying to perform an exorcism on his wife. Maybe it was because Peli wanted the audience to see that scene, but I found it a bit unbelievable myself. Further, there are a lot of inconsistencies with the first film. I raise that because the events in this film are running simultaneously with the events of the first. Both Micah and Katie also appear in this film, but I was under the impression that Katie died at the end of the first film, yet at the end of this film she walks into the house, takes Hunter, and the film closes stating that Katie and Hunter cannot be found. It is as if a completely different film (one that I haven't seen) is being used.

I suspect that number three will be about Katie and her sister when they were haunted as children. There is a lot of references to that event, so I suspect it turns out that this haunting was filmed as well, and thus you have Paranormal Activity 3.

Top Ten Things I Took From Paranormal Activity 2

Author: thesar-2 from United States
20 October 2011

10. You can, in fact, write an entire screenplay on a cocktail napkin. All on one side. With room for your glass.

9. Save time by skipping the first 52 minutes. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAPPENS in about the first two-thirds and its debatable anything of significance occurs in the final act.

8. Movies that claim to be real (or "could've been") shouldn't cast known actresses such as Sprague Grayden from TV's 24 and Sons of Anarchy.

7. There should be a drinking game based on movies that focus in on pools, kitchens, living rooms, front doors and kid rooms. I lost count at SIXTEEN shots for EACH location and in that SAME ORDER.

6. Brian Boland, who was out-acted by the sleeping dog, played the funniest character: the dad. Unfortunately, he looked more scared of what his friends and family might think after the film's premiere than the supposed demon in the actual film.

5. Gusts of wind can slam doors from the inside much like pool cleaners can leap for freedom. And these are the rationales from said dad. Really?

4. While the first movie was a riot – a downright, laugh-out-loud comedy – this one was just a sad Short-Sale Advertisement.

3. Mockumentary sequels like Paranormal Activity 2 give Blair Witch 2 a bad name.

2. The on-screen narration's ("Day 1," "Day 2," "Day 3"…) monotony got increasingly annoying since they were cursed with the world's most patient demon. It waited at least 30 days before it did ANYTHING, such as…wait for it…dropping a pot or opening a drawer. Here's hoping part 3 will sum it up with: "Month 1…in five easy minutes."

…and the number one thing I took from Paranormal Activity 2…

1. It's nice to see people can still make movies for under $20.

Disappointment same as 1st one.

Author: xcreatureofthenight from Slovenia
4 August 2011

I don't know what's so thrilling about these movies that people start to make such a hype about them. I didn't go watch it with high expectation, cause already 1st one was not scary and a complete waste of time, this on the other hand is even worse. you're in some kind of suspense all the time, cause you're waiting for that climax moment when something really scary will happen, but it never comes, so it falls flat and at the end you're left with a blank screen for a few seconds and just when you think maybe one last 'shocker' moment is about to occur maybe like in 1st one, you wait there for credits rolling and at the end you end up just sitting there realizing it'll never happen either. acting is way worse than 1st and the shots are less effective as well. not recommending as its practically just like a home video trying to scare you with some growling poor effects and pans flying and doors opening for which none come out as scary, but rather funny. Only thing that maybe this movie will leave you with for a few min after watching it is this feeling of thinking hmm maybe we are not alone in this house after all either, but it wears out just as quick as it comes, pretty much same as movie.