IMDb > Paranormal Activity 2 (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Paranormal Activity 2

Paranormal Activity 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 36:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Despite not entirely living up to the original, Paranormal Activity 2 is still another grueling excerise in subtle, intimate terror

Author: Movieboy_20 from Australia
20 October 2010

Happening in the months leading up to its hit 2009 predecessor, Paranormal Activity 2 follows Katie's sister and her family as they experience a series of similar paranormal phenomenon in their home. Determined to get to the bottom of the increasingly threatening occurrences, they decide to set up a net of security cameras in and around the house to see what really goes bump in the night. Alas the terror only escalates, pushing each of them to their breaking points as they confront a ruthless being that feeds off their very woe and angst, that sickeningly wallows in their fear until revealing its final master plan...

Despite arguably cloning original's formula, this is still a largely enjoyable and chilling sequel. Although if you weren't a fan of the original's slow-burning and brooding terror, I find it hard to see you appreciating this. It stays true to the original's creed, taking time to develop characters and subtle tension as it slowly creates an increasingly suffocating repertoire of intimate horror. The 'evil' remains invisible and shrouded in eerie shadows for the most part, playing at the terror your imagination can evoke as opposed to visceral scares. The final twenty minutes is essentially a resonation of all the progressive tension built up, hitting hard with almost unbearable suspense and thrilling scare sequences that bring the film home intensely right until the very last disturbingly grim frame.

But with all that being said, I can't say it totally measures up to the original's level of brilliance. The security camera shots were a little corny and didn't have the effectiveness of the infamous darkened bedroom shot in the original. I also found the acting to be considerably weaker and the pacing a tad off the potency of the original.

Nevertheless, the film captures the essence of brooding, intimate horror perfectly; which is most vital.

I won't spoil anything too major, but I will say it ties in with the original's story with surprising competence. Katie plays a major role, whilst Micah also makes a couple of appearances. Oh, and it most definitely sets up for another sequel. Paramount are obviously pushing hard to make this the next big horror franchise.

Overall, I was yet again sufficiently creeped out and satisfied by this second journey into the 'Paranormal Activity' universe. The characters were detailed and layered as they faced interesting personal demons as well the evil that haunted them, the atmosphere was great as it focused predominantly on stark and foreboding imagery, and best of all, it wasn't a lame Hollywoodization of good non mainstream material - It kept absolutely true to the tone of Oren Peli's subtle yet profound masterpiece, as well as adding interesting twists and turns to the intriguing story.

8/10. If you loved and/or were scared by the previous installment, check this bad boy out. It won't disappoint.

The question is - why?

Author: Marin from Croatia
19 February 2011

The scariest thing about this movie is that they actually made it and in the end it just makes me want to ask why, oh why. While the first one was mildly innovative and provided a few scares and could actually call itself a horror movie, this one wants to be a carbon copy of the first one but fails miserably. It's a perfect example of greedy producers wanting to earn more money on account of the first movie, without actually caring what the sequel is all about or how many people who see it will feel like they've been fooled. If after all you want to see the movie, fast forward until the last 20 minutes and watch, unless you want to feel like an idiot because you just spent an hour and a half watching still images of empty rooms. Sequels... there's just something so terribly wrong about them these days, they used to actually make them for a reason.

Total ...Letdown. Ending Symbolizes the entire movie

Author: bellagiancana from United States
23 October 2010

The first Paranormal Activity was pure genius. This one; not so much. It was obviously made in a rush to capitalize on the success of the original. The storyline was convoluted while trying to tie PA1 & 2 together. It was a disappointment because you can see the potential early in the movie to have been really great. You knew there would be a connection between the two movies, but instead of their plot lines flowing and making sense (like the Saw movies), the 'connection' was a mishmash of stereotypical horror/paranormal genre revelations.

There's two or three scenes out the movie that will make you jump briefly, but only because they catch you off guard. You are kept on edge the whole movie because you realize that like PA1 one, You were kept in some suspense waiting for that really scary moment that just really never came; it fell flat.

The ending epitomizes the entire movie. For about 10-15 seconds, the screen turns black (no credits, no nothing...just black) and you're wondering if it'll be like PA1 where there's a last second surprise. No, nothing happens. The credits begin to roll; the final suspense and final let down... The ending symbolizes the entire movie in 10 seconds.

Not to let an opportunity pass by, it is left wide open for a sequel.

However, on a humorous up note, PA2 introduced "Stenchilada" which will stay with me for awhile. I will also say that this version may actually transfer better to home 'video' for viewing and may be a little scarier watched in an intimate setting; especially if you have a little one.

Paramormal Waste of Time

Author: Jonathan Ostrow from United States
24 October 2010

Okay some, if not most of you will like this film if not love it but I found it hard to make it through this. The movie starts out with the us in the home with the family as though we are filming. This continues on until you wish you had taken your Dramamine.

At about the time one has had it with this we get filming they install cameras throughout the home (the reason for this is someone has broken into the home and taking nothing except one peace of the wife's jewelery that was her grandmothers). One is given the impression that this ransacking of the home was done by the Paranormal but we will never find out if the Paranormal did it or the reason for the Paranormal taking the jewelery.

We then spend a painstakingly long time to build up she scare factor that is to never happens. This continues on and we finally come to a point in the film that we fill is going to give us that good jump but they elect to have a quick simple killing... fade to black... black for 30 seconds... and credits.

Abysmal Non-Scary Rehash

Author: Hoohawnaynay (DA90027@aol.com) from United States
25 October 2010

I was not scared one iota. This sequel was not above the original (which was also not scary) and I kept hearing how much better this was which prompted me to see it.

Sister of character in original apparently has a son the Demon wants due to some bizarre story about her dead ancestor making a deal with a Demon for wealth or some other nonsense. Then just like in the original weird things happen at night. Blah blah...

Just one long boring scene after another follows none of which generated any thrills for me.

Paramount is laughing all the way to the bank.

Wow this is a movie?

Author: irumi from United States
7 November 2010

This is my first paranormal activity movie and from hearing all the hype about this movie series I'm totally disappointed. This is suppose to be a fictional movie, yet they didn't bother to show much of anything other than pans and doors flying open and shut! The only cool part was the mother being pulled down the stairs by the "ghost" over and over again, but thats the MOST action filmed for the whole movie. The end of it consisted of a power outage and the father running around with his night vision camera tossing it everywhere surprisingly not breaking it. All you see for 10-15min is green rolling around on the TV along with some cheap growling effects. Screw this movie. Don't walk into this movie expecting to see a lot of spiritual contact with the living because you will be disappointed. It's mostly a movie playing with sound effects to try to creep you out. If the females weren't so attractive id give this movie a 0 out of 10!

Avoid at all cost

Author: fredroque1 from United States
6 November 2010

Paranormal activity 1 was made on a shoestring budget of around 15k. No big stars, no huge special effects, and yet one of the scariest movies ever made.

This, being a prequel was a kind of introduction to part 1. However, it failed in basically all aspects. It was not only not scary, but slow, really slow. there isn't a climax.

If you loved the first, please do not see this movie, it will tarnish the original. I feel bad for all the people who watched it opening day.

Overall, I wish I could give it 0 stars, but IMDb makes it a point to at least give 1. It really saddens me that the sequel/prequel doesn't even halfway live up to the original.

Not Worth Paying For.

Author: ks-6752 from United Kingdom
4 November 2010

The film starts with a close nit family, a new born baby and of course the house pet, the family suffers a break-in and install cameras in case it happens again. I have to admit that I was getting pretty into it at first and then Katie from the first movie turned up at the house. Bad move. At that point, the whole audience started muttering and became restless. Here was an audience, who expected the new film to be with a new family, to have new scares and to have a whole new perception on watching horror films alone. Did we get that? No. Were we promised it? Yes. After paying an extortionate £6.50, I at least expected to find myself hiding behind my coat for half of the film, or something along those lines. I understand that with a $5m budget you can't afford to have special effects running through the film, but it looks like a majority of that money was spent on both the motorised flying baby and about 100 meters of fine string to open all the doors in the kitchen at once. However my review can't be said for the other members in the audience. Countless times was my concentration diverted to the amount of people leaving the cinema screen, perhaps they were too scared? Or maybe just like me, simply bored. Not worth the price, not worth 2 hours of my life, not worth using your hands to shield your view of the screen. An absolute joke.

The only thing worse than Paranormal Activity, is Paranormal Activity 2

Author: meggyy from United States
4 November 2010

The title says it all. Well, I guess the joke's on me because these people actually got me to pay to see these two movies. Seriously, it was the biggest load of garbage I have ever seen. Honestly, I think I may just be bitter because these people made millions off of a movie I could have made at home myself. Just put a camera in a dark room and make some noises, and you've got Paranormal Activity 1 & 2. From what I hear, they're going to "Saw" the crap out of this movie and make like.. another 10 of them. Do people even go see the Saw movies anymore? Anyways, this movie sucks, and you shouldn't waste your time/money seeing it. Maybe if people stop seeing it, we'll get lucky and they'll cancel the franchise before their yearly previews become a bigger joke than any movie with M. Night Shyamalan's name attached to it.

If you think this is scary, you are a stupid.

Author: sarahj287 from United States
19 February 2011

I don't even give this a 1.... This movie like the first one was the dumbest "scary" movie i have ever watch. And like during the first movie I was bored to sleep by about half way through. A complete and total waste of my time!!

There is nothing scary, shocking or disturbing about this movie at all. When the mom was drug screaming down the stairs into the basement I was laughing my ass off. I was also laughing when Katie showed up as the demon and killed the dad and then punched the mom into security camera. Baby Hunter and his sisters whereabouts are unknown.. oh dear.. now the only thing scary about this movie is that they are going to make a 3rd one... a movie that i will not waste my time with!!

Page 1 of 36:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]