IMDb > Paranormal Activity 2 (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Paranormal Activity 2

Paranormal Activity 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 36: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Just OK

Author: Theresasod from United States
9 May 2014

I didn't really care for this movie. I thought there were a few good scenes, but that was about it. I will definitely see the third one though because I want to know the questions I have regarding this movie. I like how they use a different style with this movie, the way the characters act like they have no idea that they are even starring in a movie! The only good part of this movie was that fact alone, and the cool scenes that did get my attention. Overall, this movie was just barely watchable for me. I can only hope that the third one will be a tad bit better. There were times when I wished the film would have just ended, but of course, it dragged on and on without anything interesting besides just a few scenes. If you want an honest opinion, just watch it off of Netflix or something. Don't even bother buying the Blue-ray or DVD.

Impressive follow up to a phenomenal original.

Author: Christianga76 from United States
30 July 2013

***MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS***Paranormal Activity 2 is a very scary and dramatic movie for me. I had no idea that this film would connect with the first film In a very smart way. Paranormal Activity 2 is the first film on steroids. It really is because it's almost a twin to the original and had similar scares just more grander and more Amped up. This film is the longest in the series and takes the longest to pick up but the characters are interesting enough to watch for a while. When the scares do pick up they are grounded just like the first film and doesn't loose the formula that worked the first time. It's hard to say if this film will attract new fans. I felt bad for the baby and the dog because they see the demon more than anyone else and are both scared of it. Seeing the baby look around and cry at something that cannot be seen is effective for me cause every baby does that and having a dog bark at something that cant be seen has been done by every dog so it makes you think if there really is something that you cannot see. The films last sequence feel a little rushed and I feel like more could have happened to make it more suspenseful but it really is a shocking ending to see for the first time and Paranormal Activity 2 is a smart and scary film with plenty of scares that take a little to get going but it ultimately is an effective film but like the first one not everyone is going to agree but if you believe in what you are seeing as real and realistic and something that could happen then it can go a long way.

Demon strikes again

Author: Raul Faust from Joinville, Brazil
30 November 2011

Well, after seeing over and over all this film's trilogy, I feel I'm ready to write about this one. "Paranormal Activity 2", in my humble opinion, is the weakest and least scary off the franchise-- which doesn't mean it isn't frightening.

It's not that scary as the first version because it's no longer an innovation; also, it takes much longer for the weird things to happen, whilst in the first one you're already scared in the first 30 minutes. It's way less scary than the third, because in there we have cheap jumps and false scares every time, so you never have time to breath. The demon is present in many more scenes in the third; in this version, the demon only scares in the last minutes-- but, at least, he REALLY scares. Kristy, poor girl, gets really creepy after the demon pulls her in the stairs and makes the spectator feel horrified. All in all, I believe it's very well written and the writers were smart enough to make all the three films be logical and believable. Don't be that afraid to see this film, but don't be that calm!

More of the same only less interesting

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
29 November 2010

More of the same though less interestingly done.

Watching the story of a haunted house through the multiple cameras on the property and in home movies.

Its amusing at times, often deadly dull. There are a few scary moments.

The trouble is is in the central conceit of the film allows us to we see the action through a house from multiple cameras instead of a single cameras, the cutting between cameras undercuts the tension because-if you're like me, you keep wanting to see the bits that weren't included but should be clear in another angle- for example the reverse shots for the stuff in the living/dining room.

Worth a look but wait for TV

Who would've thought that a trick like this would work a second time?

Author: omfgitsrohit from India
25 January 2011

Paranormal activity 2, the prequel of paranormal activity although released after its sequel initially works. That's as much credit as I can give the film. With each thud you're going to skip a heartbeat. It convinces you that while dying might be bad, living with intense fear is worse. The constant wave like noise gets under your skin and tells your instincts that something terrible is about to happen. I've covered the first half hour of the film. The remaining hour is a spoof of the first half hour. The ghost turns hospitable by opening and closing doors, but when it doesn't receive the "Thank you" that's due, it burns a man's testicles. When the teenage girl tries communicating with the ghost, the ghost starts flirting with her by saying that he wants pussy. And a hat. Since she doesn't respond positively, he wakes her up by whispering her name in her ear. Not very imaginative, is he? From here on, he goes on a series of pranks with locking her outside and triggering a false fire alarm when she's making out with her boyfriend in the pool.

Here's the twist- it's not a ghost, it's a DEMON. The head of the house refuses to acknowledge the demon's existence. Now, the sensitive demon feels insulted. The increasing anger of the demon drives the remaining half hour of the film. From here on, it works neither as a comedy nor as a horror. The film throws sucker punches by banging open every door that could possibly be opened, when you're expecting the frying pan to fall on the wife's head. The characters are not believable. The characters hold on to the camera even when the certainty of their lives is suspended by a thin thread. There's more chemistry between the camera and the people who feel it up than between the husband and the wife. To make up for that, the demon's character is well developed. He suffers from identity crisis. But the people in the house don't know that, do they? So they assume that talking about the demon would just enrage him further. How close it all came to never happening!

From here on, it's hilarious. The dog gets tossed from one corner to the other, you can't be sure if it got humped just before, because the demon's invisible, but it certainly seems so. This scene in particular, is rib crackling especially for PETA activists. Of course, the pets are always killed first. The screenwriters have obviously seen Fatal Attraction and Cape Fear. The film ends like the first one, with everyone dying. The Demon is a wrestling fan; it performs a chokehold on the husband, a choke slam on the wife and walks away with the baby (an allusion to the golden belt). Why the baby? Apparently, some old hag in his ancestral tree hadn't honoured a deal with the demon- to exchange a male infant for riches.

Rating- 2/10

Bring on Paranormal Activity 3!

Author: dtucker86 from Germany
29 October 2010

This is one of those rare sequels that packs just as powerful a punch as the original. Its so strange, Paranormal Activity and its sequel were made on super cheap budgets with no name actors, they were made with a hand held camera and didn't even have a soundtrack and yet they are as scary as any high budget horror movie. Both movies are kind of slow getting started, but once the scares start hold onto your seat! I wanted to mention that I think its good that the makers of these films don't use gory special effects like so many others do. To me that is the mark of a truly fine filmmaker. That scene in the film where all the kitchen doors fly open scared the daylights out of me! As always, they leave the door open in the end for a possible sequel and I am looking forward to it.

Flaw'd

Author: musanna-ahmed from United Kingdom
29 October 2010

So I went to go and see this film hoping it'd be scarier, and in general, just overall better than the first which in my opinion sucked.

The film began really slow - took just over 20 minutes to get engaged with the "paranormal activity". In that time it was incredibly dull. Now you may think that 20 minutes isn't bad to get engaged into a film but for one that's just under 90 minutes, it's rather slow.

There was about 15 loud, bound-to-make-you-jump moments because they're unpredictable/unexpected. Hardly made me jump but I can assure readers that are more faint-hearted or jump easily that it'll be a jumping fest for them when they watch this. Some moments were freaky but some were just "rest assured, it's only this/that" (something like the pan falling/cupboards opening).

It intertwines with the first one quite well as a prequel showing where the burnt picture shown came from and why Katie is at Micah's house in the first one, and then it turns into a sequel at the end showing the night after Micah's death and what Katie does to the house in this house when possessed.

However a flaw with this sequel part is that if you watched the original version where the police shot Katie, you'd have no idea where she came from in this one.

Personally I think the time and day displaying was not needed,I mean does it really matter if it's 1:41am? Especially when time does not play a part of the demonic presence. We know that it occurs during the nights and this is clearly shown with the camera's colour so why show the time? On the whole, better and scarier than the first film (which I had hoped for) and I suppose it was worth paying for. It's one to watch at the cinema unless you own some spectacular surround sound system.

If The Last Exorcism made you jump, this will DEFINITELY make you jump. If you got scared of The Last Exorcism, watch this for something freakier. If you thought The Last Exorcism was rubbish, I suppose this is something better to watch.

verynormal

Author: jacklmauro from United States
24 October 2011

(Cut to final point/spoiler, for the true punch). The first had...well, ye olde 'Blair Witch' simplicity going for it. This prequel/sequel is just, sadly, an uninteresting mess. All right, sure, there is still that inherently creepy vibe of watching the footage. Then, I will give some credit for the bravery of trying the prequel angle. The idea of the sisters as sharing the demon haunting - could be very interesting. But the pacing here is so lopsided, it's painful. Add to this the father and the maid as stock characters (defiantly no-nonsense dude and frightened ethnic) and a basement crescendo that is just impossible to understand, and you get very, very little. Spoilers!! WHY does it never occur to anyone in these things to go out to the freaking lawn, when things are going berserk? Why are no friends and family being recruited to keep the house nicely full of people, until a plan of some kind can be made? Lastly: this is clearly a tough demon. A quick, home-made exorcism from the Yuppie dad, and he skidaddles down the street to possess the other sister, to get the job done? That's the trouble with demons today. No staying power.

What happened before Paranormal Activity

Author: david-sarkies from Australia
22 October 2011

In some ways this is a better movie than the first, but then Peli had a lot more money to work with this time and previously, so he could afford to splash out. Looking at it from a technical point of view, this one is much more complicated than the first, particularly since Peli is now using a baby and a dog (both of which are very difficult to make movies with at the best of times). Also the special effects are somewhat more impressive, namely because in this film he is using security cameras, so there are a lot more continuous shots and a lot more subtle things can be filmed. In the first movie the plot was limited by a single camera which means that only when the camera was filming, and the spot in which the camera was filming, could be shown. Not so in this film.

I guess Paranormal Activity 2 expands on what we saw in the original film, and with the extra budget, can be better with some of the things he shows. The shock value in this film is higher, due to the ability to use security cameras (and the scene where all of the cupboards in the kitchen fly open is one example, also when the demon drags her about the house when nobody else is home).

However there are some strange situations, such as when the fire spontaneously erupts in the kitchen and we never see the security camera footage leading up to it. Maybe it is because it is being left to our imagination, but I doubt that it could have been too hard, particularly since he is able to do a lot of other things.

The basement scene at the end was somewhat contrived, namely because I find it difficult to believe that the character would carry a video camera around the basement while trying to perform an exorcism on his wife. Maybe it was because Peli wanted the audience to see that scene, but I found it a bit unbelievable myself. Further, there are a lot of inconsistencies with the first film. I raise that because the events in this film are running simultaneously with the events of the first. Both Micah and Katie also appear in this film, but I was under the impression that Katie died at the end of the first film, yet at the end of this film she walks into the house, takes Hunter, and the film closes stating that Katie and Hunter cannot be found. It is as if a completely different film (one that I haven't seen) is being used.

I suspect that number three will be about Katie and her sister when they were haunted as children. There is a lot of references to that event, so I suspect it turns out that this haunting was filmed as well, and thus you have Paranormal Activity 3.

Top Ten Things I Took From Paranormal Activity 2

Author: thesar-2 from United States
20 October 2011

10. You can, in fact, write an entire screenplay on a cocktail napkin. All on one side. With room for your glass.

9. Save time by skipping the first 52 minutes. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAPPENS in about the first two-thirds and its debatable anything of significance occurs in the final act.

8. Movies that claim to be real (or "could've been") shouldn't cast known actresses such as Sprague Grayden from TV's 24 and Sons of Anarchy.

7. There should be a drinking game based on movies that focus in on pools, kitchens, living rooms, front doors and kid rooms. I lost count at SIXTEEN shots for EACH location and in that SAME ORDER.

6. Brian Boland, who was out-acted by the sleeping dog, played the funniest character: the dad. Unfortunately, he looked more scared of what his friends and family might think after the film's premiere than the supposed demon in the actual film.

5. Gusts of wind can slam doors from the inside much like pool cleaners can leap for freedom. And these are the rationales from said dad. Really?

4. While the first movie was a riot – a downright, laugh-out-loud comedy – this one was just a sad Short-Sale Advertisement.

3. Mockumentary sequels like Paranormal Activity 2 give Blair Witch 2 a bad name.

2. The on-screen narration's ("Day 1," "Day 2," "Day 3"…) monotony got increasingly annoying since they were cursed with the world's most patient demon. It waited at least 30 days before it did ANYTHING, such as…wait for it…dropping a pot or opening a drawer. Here's hoping part 3 will sum it up with: "Month 1…in five easy minutes."

…and the number one thing I took from Paranormal Activity 2…

1. It's nice to see people can still make movies for under $20.