IMDb > "South Park" Whale Whores (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"South Park" Whale Whores (2009)

« Prev | 193 of 250 Episodes | Next »

Hilarious

Author: eiderchick from United States
1 November 2009

I personally found this to be one of my favorite of this season, second only to Fishsticks.

In some ways I think this episode might be funnier if you are familiar with the show Whale Wars, even cursorily, the truly bizarre storyline should be entertaining for everyone who enjoys South Park. Cartman's rendition of Lady Gaga's "Poker Face" is perhaps the funniest thing I have heard in ages and could easily earn this episode a 9/10 for that alone. While the ending is a little weird it works in true South Park fashion. The only thing I would criticize was the heavy amounts of (animated) blood in the episode, but it does have the effect probably desired by the creators. It works, but it was definitely a little off putting at the beginning.

Dark Yet Hilarious! One Of The Best Episodes Of The Season!

Author: gangstahippie from Canada(Montreal, Quebec)
29 October 2009

Whale Whores is the latest episode of South Park.It actually turned out to be one of the best episodes of Season 13.There were quite a few times when I laughed out loud.The episode spoofs the Japanese killing dolphins and whales.Stan and his family are at sea-world, when some Japanese come and murder the dolphins and the whales.Stan is devastated and wants to do something about it.So he joins this team which has a reality TV series called "Whale Wars"(it's a real show which I have never seen).He finds that their methods are ineffective, so when the captain gets killed, he steps things up.The show becomes much more popular and Cartman and Kenny join, despite not wanting to help Stan out earlier.They end up getting kamakazied by the Japanese and captured.We then find out the real reason the Japanese are killing dolphins and whales.The episode is fairly dark and violent.We see the Japanese brutally murdering dolphins and whales with bloody results, it is also hilarious at times and has many great lines.There is one funny scene where Cartman sings a cover of the Lady Gaga song "Poker Face".Overall, it's one of the best episodes of the season.

"F*** you, f*** you dolphin and whale!"

Author: RainDogJr from Mexico City
30 October 2009

I must begin this comment by saying that Whale Whores is so far one of my least favourite episodes of Season 13. And it's both a disappointment and a not at all disappointment. Whale Whores is South Park "destroying" two reality TV shows (mostly Paul Watson), certainly you don't really have to know about the existence of those shows to can enjoy this episode. Personally I wasn't aware of Paul Watson and company but with seconds of seeing this episode I knew pretty much everything about them, in a way this time is a very simple parody and of course is good to see a******* like Watson being destroyed (literally also!) but the question is, destroying Watson and company delivers funny material? Well, the episode begins with Japanese people mercilessly killing dolphins and whales (not even the Miami Dolphins survived the attack of the Japanese!) then quite soon Stan joins Watson's crew seeking for the safety of the mentioned animals. Some things inside the parody of the shows are very funny but frankly having Cartman and Kenny "crying" (especially Kenny!) is like an oasis in an almost completely dry desert, if that makes sense. This is the part that disappoints, not bad but disappoints. The ending of the episode left me completely satisfied: in the South Park fashion we are ready to find out why the Japanese kill whales and dolphins, the answer is of course hilariously bizarre (almost like finding out the truth behind the Family Guy staff of writers!) and the thing continues to be as bizarre yet if you watch it you will know why I can say it is simply clever stuff.