IMDb > "Mary Shelley's Frankenhole" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Mary Shelley's Frankenhole" More at IMDbPro »

good nonsensical adult fun

Author: tedebear34 from Mexico North
17 August 2011

I think this is screamingly funny. It's not for the faint of heart but almost nothing is these days anyway. At least if its offensive to some, it's smart and funny enough to get away with it. Ironically, I didn't find this as dark, brooding and disturbing as Moral Orel. Instead, I found a lightness to it. With clever quips and nonsensical non-sequitors, it's not so introspective. Where Moral Orel tries to hold a mirror up to our souls and show us the dark hypocrisy of life, this is pure adult fun. The characters are so over the top that you can't take them seriously and it really doesn't seem like you're supposed to. There isn't a lot of exposition so the whole concept is a little bewildering at first, but by the time you hit the later episodes, you'll have connected enough dots to enjoy it a bit more.

Can't wait for the new season which is apparently coming in 2012.

Enjoyable, although perhaps not for everyone

Author: amilolomy from United States
29 August 2010

I really love this show. This show made me start watching TV again. The stories are compact and the characters are fun, and for a show about old guys and whiny, emo monsters running around helping more old guys and whiny emo monsters, it's rather enjoyable. There are no morals or lessons to be had, and much of the humor seems to lie in Frankenstein's family issues and the out-of character interpretations of historical figures and celebrities.

However, some of the stories don't really go anywhere, and for those who prefer a linear, continuing storyline, this show probably won't be that enjoyable. I would advise those out there who are offended by the thought of Ghandi as a womanizing vampire or Jesus as a self-important alcoholic to avoid this show. It's not your type. But for those who enjoy dark humor at its best and the deconstruction of respected figures, this is something to see.

Fantastic. I want a DVD!

Author: zetes from Saint Paul, MN
17 February 2014

Dino Stamatopoulos' Adult Swim follow-up to the masterful Moral Orel. This is also a stop-motion series. It doesn't hit the emotional heights of Orel, but it's pretty damn brilliant. An immortal Victor Frankenstein works as a mad scientist for any historical figures who arrive at his castle via Frankenholes. He helps Thomas Jefferson get a new penis, makes Gandhi a vampire and gets Jesus a new pair of socks. He often interacts with classic movie monsters, including Nosferatu, who only speaks in intertitles. A lot of crazy stuff here. The wit is super quick - it has to be with the classic Adult Swim 12 minute runtime. The voice acting is particularly great, and I especially love Andy Dick as Jesus. Probably the only time I'll ever say I like Andy Dick, but he really hits it out of the park with his performance in two episodes of this series. I don't know if this series is ever going to continue, but I hope it does. Too bad it was never popular and never got a proper DVD release. It's easily one of my favorite things that's ever been on Adult Swim.