IMDb > The Divide (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Divide

The Divide More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 24: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Great film but super duper depressing

Author: ticklegear from United States
27 March 2012

I'm a big fan of Michael Biehn so I had to check this out.

The plot is simple - a group of survivors are trapped and slowly turn on each other as their humanity decays.

This is a psychological thriller that is so sickening at times that it's difficult to watch. The acting by everyone was surprisingly good. Everyone did their roles very well and I was immersed in the hell they found themselves. By the end of the film, I wondered how I would handle such a situation and I came to an oddly simple conclusion.

All I would need is some basic combat training. The bullies were just pussi*s. They wouldn't stand a chance if the rest of the group had any balls or if ONE of the 'good' guys had decent fighting skills.

While I think this movie is realistic, it is super depressing. I enjoyed the movie and I think the acting in particular was spectacular, but I'm so depressed :( It's true - the lucky ones died in the blast

I was surprised indeed by "The Divide" (2012) – a flawed post-apocalyptic horror film that nevertheless has a hell of a lot going for it.

Author: ericrnolan from United States
9 October 2014

It's a horrifying, brutal look at seven apartment building residents who survive a nuclear holocaust by sheltering together in the building's basement.

Does that sound dark? Because it's a hell of a lot darker than you think it is. This film is brutal and disturbing – even by the standards of the survival-horror sub-genre.

The script is flawed, but this movie still surprised me and held me in suspense. You know it's a worthwhile movie if you can't stop watching it, even if the screen writing isn't perfect. That's partly due to a great cast – with terrific performances by Michael Biehn, Courtney Vance, Lauren German, Milo Ventimiglia, Ashton Holmes, Rosanna Arquette and Ivan Gonzalez.

Despite the good acting all around, the runaway performance was Michael Eklund as Bobby. This guy is an incredibly talented actor. He nailed the role of a survivor who descends quickly into madness and depravity, and was probably the best thing about this movie. His performance actually reminded me a hell of a lot of Buffalo Bill in "Silence of the Lambs." That kid was amazing and terrifying. (I don't think what I'm writing here is a spoiler; everyone knows the premise of the movie, and Bobby is recognized almost immediately as an erratic personality.)

This movie reminded me just a little of the superb BBC docudrama, "Threads" (1984), which was an equally brutal look at the aftermath of a nuclear war – far more so than the inferior American "The Day After," which made headlines a year earlier. (And doesn't everyone in my age bracket remember that?)

The special effects budget is limited. But the final shot of the movie is fantastic.

Again … this is not a feel-good film, even when compared with other movies like this. This movie was written by people who have absolutely no faith in human nature. The final choice by one character is pretty sad evidence of that. What the character does seems inexplicable at first, but then makes perfect sense when you think about it. And it's pretty depressing.

I'd give this movie an 8 out of 10.

Underrated and Over-Hated - For Horror Lovers is Worth the Watch

Author: prettierwhenyoucry
29 April 2014

This film is paradoxical in many ways and is flawed by its confusion of who the characters actually are. They seem to make very quick decisions which fundamentally are not relayed or explained well enough in the major plot twists. Yet, this movie left its mark on me after I binged on recent horrors. The acting is really decent despite the confusing plot and the suspense and build up leave you intrigued to know who 'they' are. The premise is familiar but I was left feeling refreshed by the way those trapped in isolation from a disaster referenced deeper human, primordial instincts. The forming of tribes and a Lord of The Flies affect is felt as the occupants slowly are driven mad. I loved the addition of Milo Ventimiglia was really a welcome one. He is a great actor and really shone in this movie. It is not the most polished thriller/horror I have ever encountered but it has its really stand-out shocking moments which make it worth the watch.

"Lord of the Flies" for the 21st century generation

Author: rooprect from New York City
24 December 2014

In 1954 William Golding wrote a scathing parable of human nature called "Lord of the Flies". You were probably forced to read it in 9th grade English, but if you were snoozing I'll recap: it's an allegory that tells the tale of a bunch of children stranded on an island, trying to form a micro society in order to survive. Fine, upstanding post-Victorian British lads at first, they slowly devolve into the most unsettling savagery, violence, fascism and murder when they realize that there are no rules.

Every few decades, this compelling tale has gotten a facelift adapting it to a new generation. Notable was the excellent Japanese film "Battle Royale" (2000) which was about a bunch of high school kids forced to compete to the death, in order to "graduate". A sort of updated "Lord of the Flies" specific to modern Japanese cut-throat education and social Darwinism with a lot of blood & guts to boot, that movie just plain rocked.

Now, in 2011 we have an even more chilling depiction of human nature, frighteningly consistent with the times we live in because it focuses heavily on paranoia, distrust and the fear-driven selfishness that seems to have pervaded the "war on terror generation". In addition, the film is not afraid to dive boldly into disturbing sexual violence which neither of the other 2 examples touched on.

"The Divide" begins with an apocalyptic blast sending people scurrying for safe haven. In the first few seconds of the film, the "lucky" 10 make it to a makeshift fallout shelter where they are forced to live for possibly the rest of their lives; nobody really knows the extent of the radiation outside. As a sidenote, if you find the beginning to be a little insipid, stick with it. When characters start to drop their candy coated exterior is when things get really interesting.

What we get is a slow, painful revelation of human nature. I say "painful" because it accuses every one of us. There's no real "good vs. evil" but instead this is the story of how we humans act, what got us into such a mess, and what if anything will be our future. It's "Lord of the Flies" and "Battle Royale" and "Clockwork Orange" all packed together, and let me tell you it's as intense as all of those put together. Note: I'm reviewing the extended cut.

Not for the faint of heart, definitely uncomfortable in many spots, there are disturbing scenes of violence, sexuality and general human poopiness. So I wouldn't use this as a first date ice breaker with that cute chick or guy you met at Starbucks. Although billed as a post-apocalyptic action flick, I wouldn't call it that (even though there's a ton of action). The film's power is in its ability to peel away the façade of each character, until you're not sure who's who and what's what. The ending is absolutely stunning, and it should leave you pondering for hours (if not days) after the credits roll.

Shadowy visuals with lots of symbolic use of light & shadow make this an artistic treat. As far as art goes, you'll be hooked from the opening scene: a tight closeup of a girl's face as a silent tear rolls down her cheek and we see the reflection of a nuclear blast in her iris. Gorgeously simplistic piano music sets the tone and carries this brooding, explosive, psychological roller coaster to one of the most poetic endings I've ever seen. Don't write this off as just another catastrophe flick. This is a classic for a new generation.

Film's ratings are biased

Author: José Pedro Gomes from Portugal
4 November 2013

Most people are used to be guided by other's ratings or previous existent movie rankings. Those people are used to be guided by acclaimed critics and those critics are guided by economical waves made in Hollywood. It's only media that matters as a global sociological phenomena and That's the only reason it occurs to me to explain the fact that everywhere this movie is being so low rated. In IMDb, Metacritics, Rotten Tomatoes. That and the power of denial.

Like in Hannanh Arendt sociological and political philosophy, this is not an easy black and white bad and evil piece of crap made in Hollywood, nor the spectator is in his sofa's comfort watching different twilight zone wolds assuming they have fictional characters with totally alien behaviors from his own human moral and ethical patterns. As in Hannanh's true philosophy, evil is not an extraordinary thing made by extraordinary people, in contrary is made by common people like you and I and it's the regurgitation of a cultural sociological mechanism called society. Adding the fact that you are an animal untied of moral directives when living with others in adversary and limited conditions, if, you don't follow strict rules common to all. Imagine an astronaut being anarchic in a shared space capsule!

That's the way our societies are driving in, putting the ego in first place, the money, the subtraction of the other for your own survival. That's the message you get if you see yourself mirrored in the possibilities of acting in such a desperate context. That's the way you behave if you are unable to reflect yourself as a possible selfish character of this movie. And that's the way thing's will always be if you keep insisting you are above bad actions or consequence of behavior: If you consider yourself exempt of possibly acting "devilish" either in reality, hypothesis or fiction, past present or future.

Great acting, script, photography. Like mules, spectators are not admitting that even if a movie bothers you deeply, it does not imply like a straight binary arrow it's a bad movie. Pay attention: Cinema is not made exclusively to please you or to throw popcorn!

Loved it

Author: m j from United States
22 April 2012

I don't understand the bad reviews. I enjoyed this film more than The Hunger Games. All the people expecting it to be like the crappy Saw movies don't have the intellect to enjoy good psychological horror.

Yes, the movie was dark but it was so much fun watching the characters erode down to their base human natures. It was done very well and it was not nearly as gruesome as people were making it out to be. It's one of the better adult horror sci-fi films I've seen in a long while.

Michael Biehn was also a treat to see again and he was very well casted here. Also the guy from Heroes whose name I don't remember was fun to see again. Rosanne Arquette had a hard part to play but she was excellent and her personal downward spiral was very believable.

Some things in the film weren't explained but that didn't take away from it at all. If you like dark films of a psychological bent showing Humanity without it's make-up on you'll like this one.

It's deeper than you'd think.

Author: Carl from United Kingdom
29 March 2012

Well, The Divide... As an apocalyptic film, I feel I have to put it up there with Threads and The Road sub-category. It is NOT a Mad Max style of apocalyptic film (which some would say was more entertaining).

I watched this film last night and I'm still thinking about it now the next day, so it's bleakness does hit you somewhat, providing you're in the right mood for such a film.

The film is mostly set in a basement, giving a real feeling of entrapment throughout the film. If I could make any similarities with any other films, I guess it would have to be Signs and Lord of the Flies.... Signs being a film in which I didn't enjoy. The Divide however is a fair amount more believable, with a better cast and whose characters are more interesting. The story itself is less sensational than that of signs, which in turn, doesn't annoy the viewer into thinking there could be a better story outside of these character's scenario.

This film in fact goes beyond being a tragedy. It gives a glimpse of a living hell. It is a devastatingly bleak movie, made all the more tragic when there are characters who are "nice people" caught up in the madness of a few. This film is very much about humans and how they cope in extreme situations.... The way they divide into separate groups etc etc.

It's fair to say, there are many films that tackle this issue, but The Divide just seems to hit more of a nerve for me. The backdrop is always there, eating away at all of the characters... which in turn hits home on just how bad surviving a nuclear war would be. By the end of the film there is only ever one conclusion. (I don't like putting in spoilers, so I'll leave it at that).

Most underrated and hated movie EVER, don't know why though!

Author: Sonu Singh from India
10 September 2016

This has to be one of best physiological thriller movie I have ever watched and I have a watched a lot.. a lot of thriller movies.

I don't know why people hate this movie so much. Don't go for negative comments, you would miss a great GREAT film. This movie has so many negative comments because this movie has very strong elements of violence, graphic and sexuality which can't be digested by many people.

This movie is definitely not for children and even teens. This movie may have a strong physiological effect. Me and friends discussed this movie for months. You need to have a strong stomach to watch this movie.

slow builder that becomes insane and brutal

Author: trashgang from Midian
25 March 2013

Xavier Gens, the director from the ultra gore horror Frontiers (2007) is back with a post-apocalyptic flick. But not a normal one. this really goes into the characters in stead of going about surviving.

The flick opens with some nuclear attack on New York. Mickey (Michael Biehn) calls the people from the tower block to hide in his cellar. Eight people make it into the basement and the first 1à minutes that's all what was happening. Thinking this was going to be a blah blah flick I waited a bit longer and just before I thought this isn't good things start to happen. Some kind of rescue or research team enters the basement and from then on the characters start to develop their darker side. What also slowly comes into this flick is the ugliness and brutality with some excellent performances by Michael Biehn but the one that really stuck out was Michael Eklund (Bobby). Before you know it Bobby really becomes a mad person and it's up for the rest to follow him or not. But what also comes in is the red stuff. In the first half the red stuff is let out, the torture and one's finger being cut off is shown off-camera (saw it unrated) but from that point the camera slowly reveals the red stuff coming in in fights or shoot-outs.

It all looked believable and can happen when you don't have your personal space being jammed in a small room with strangers. be advised that this isn't a happy flick and isn't for everyone. If you can take brutal flicks then this is your thing. And the ending made me think, who's the lucky one, those being trapped inside the basement of the one getting out and is lost in a world were nothing is left...

Gore 2/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 3/5 Story 4/5 Comedy 0/5

This movie keeps you thinking for weeks

Author: robintherocker from Denmark
22 January 2013

The whole post-apocalyptic genre has been overused, and you rarely see something new in this kind of movies. I claim that this movie adds a whole new level to the genre, and hasn't been based on the same script as many other movies has.

If you only want to watch splatter and skin, screw you. This is for people who care more about the feelings a movie express.

This movie has so many symbolic levels, and small hidden political meanings and messages. Many small details has been put in, to leave the attentive watcher wondering "what the ...?". Questions like "Who bombed USA?" and "why would that person do that?" are the most simple questions in this film, but still takes a lot of thinking to make out.

The characters is very realistic, and due to the way Xavier Gens has directed the movie, the characters goes through a BIG transformation. There's no sexy stupid blondes who wander around topless throughout the movie, screaming - it's not a teen movie!

I saw this movie alone with high level of sound, and this movie sucked me in completely. The very sensitive soundtrack keeps the edge of tension, as the plot twists and turns, and in no way follows the mainstream story lines. The next day i had to show it to my wife. Now, after a few weeks, i still wanna watch it again, and pay more attention to small details that makes you wonder.

This movie is highly recommendable (not for the faint-hearted though)! It will change your way of thinking!