IMDb > The Divide (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Divide

The Divide More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 24: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Disgustingly beautiful

Author: Perry Bee from On a distant star
30 March 2012

I read about this film last year and thought this could make for good viewing, but did not think it would be more than a gore/horror teen flick. I am not saying it is not for teens, but it was a surprise for me, I really like some of the ways the director filmed the great acting performances from the whole cast, sure there are a few mistakes in the storyline (whole country is nuked but somehow they seem to have endless power) (the enemy use M16 based weapons, and they are Asian invaders) and it leaves a few question marks about why or how, but it really does not take away any power that comes from this storyline! I have read some people think humans would not behave like the people in this film, and I am not going to argue that point, as I do know better! Most if not all living things will do the most extreme things when pushed into a corner, than take away a food and drink supply and watch what happens, and humans are no different.

I felt the film was shorter than it really was, but I guess it meant for me I was glued to the screen. The storyline gets going real fast, and the characters are very well portrayed by the actors, just enough blood for it not to be a blood and guts type of film, but where it hits home for me is the horror of the characters, the director really did a great job convincing me about the horror of the situation these people got put in.

Sure I felt a bit flat about the enemies coming and going so fast, but it really did not need any more input, as the film hits home so well from start to the last minute of the film.

I was going to give it a 10, but took away a point due to a few small holes in the script, I am sure it is not for every one. but I thought the great music score and great acting and storyline made this a real surprise for me! 9 out of 10

Most underrated and hated movie EVER, don't know why though!

Author: Sonu Singh from India
10 September 2016

This has to be one of best physiological thriller movie I have ever watched and I have a watched a lot.. a lot of thriller movies.

I don't know why people hate this movie so much. Don't go for negative comments, you would miss a great GREAT film. This movie has so many negative comments because this movie has very strong elements of violence, graphic and sexuality which can't be digested by many people.

This movie is definitely not for children and even teens. This movie may have a strong physiological effect. Me and friends discussed this movie for months. You need to have a strong stomach to watch this movie.

I was surprised indeed by "The Divide" (2012) – a flawed post-apocalyptic horror film that nevertheless has a hell of a lot going for it.

Author: ericrnolan from United States
9 October 2014

It's a horrifying, brutal look at seven apartment building residents who survive a nuclear holocaust by sheltering together in the building's basement.

Does that sound dark? Because it's a hell of a lot darker than you think it is. This film is brutal and disturbing – even by the standards of the survival-horror sub-genre.

The script is flawed, but this movie still surprised me and held me in suspense. You know it's a worthwhile movie if you can't stop watching it, even if the screen writing isn't perfect. That's partly due to a great cast – with terrific performances by Michael Biehn, Courtney Vance, Lauren German, Milo Ventimiglia, Ashton Holmes, Rosanna Arquette and Ivan Gonzalez.

Despite the good acting all around, the runaway performance was Michael Eklund as Bobby. This guy is an incredibly talented actor. He nailed the role of a survivor who descends quickly into madness and depravity, and was probably the best thing about this movie. His performance actually reminded me a hell of a lot of Buffalo Bill in "Silence of the Lambs." That kid was amazing and terrifying. (I don't think what I'm writing here is a spoiler; everyone knows the premise of the movie, and Bobby is recognized almost immediately as an erratic personality.)

This movie reminded me just a little of the superb BBC docudrama, "Threads" (1984), which was an equally brutal look at the aftermath of a nuclear war – far more so than the inferior American "The Day After," which made headlines a year earlier. (And doesn't everyone in my age bracket remember that?)

The special effects budget is limited. But the final shot of the movie is fantastic.

Again … this is not a feel-good film, even when compared with other movies like this. This movie was written by people who have absolutely no faith in human nature. The final choice by one character is pretty sad evidence of that. What the character does seems inexplicable at first, but then makes perfect sense when you think about it. And it's pretty depressing.

I'd give this movie an 8 out of 10.

Great film but super duper depressing

Author: ticklegear from United States
27 March 2012

I'm a big fan of Michael Biehn so I had to check this out.

The plot is simple - a group of survivors are trapped and slowly turn on each other as their humanity decays.

This is a psychological thriller that is so sickening at times that it's difficult to watch. The acting by everyone was surprisingly good. Everyone did their roles very well and I was immersed in the hell they found themselves. By the end of the film, I wondered how I would handle such a situation and I came to an oddly simple conclusion.

All I would need is some basic combat training. The bullies were just pussi*s. They wouldn't stand a chance if the rest of the group had any balls or if ONE of the 'good' guys had decent fighting skills.

While I think this movie is realistic, it is super depressing. I enjoyed the movie and I think the acting in particular was spectacular, but I'm so depressed :( It's true - the lucky ones died in the blast

waste of time

Author: s-k-u-l-l-b-o-y from Canada
20 May 2012

WARNING THIS REVIEW WILL RUIN THE MOVIE FOR YOU AND SAVE YOU 2 HOURS OF TIME:) i could not stand this movie it makes absolutely no sense first off nothing is explained why are nukes going off in this city? why do the fall out guys take the little girl and put her in some chamber with band aids over her eyes and a tube in her mouth? how and why the hell did the guys in white suits set up all those tubes in the apartment building when clearly at the end of the movie the whole city is in ruins what made that apartment so special to set up a lab? what really pisses me off is the ending the dumb bitch already has rad poisoning yet she still takes the suit and screws the other two over when they could have had at least a little chance to surviving every character was annoying and pretty stupid at times this movie was poorly made and thought out i wouldn't recommend it to anyone i wont be watching another movie written by Karl Mueller,and Eron Sheean anytime soon

Underrated and Over-Hated - For Horror Lovers is Worth the Watch

Author: prettierwhenyoucry
29 April 2014

This film is paradoxical in many ways and is flawed by its confusion of who the characters actually are. They seem to make very quick decisions which fundamentally are not relayed or explained well enough in the major plot twists. Yet, this movie left its mark on me after I binged on recent horrors. The acting is really decent despite the confusing plot and the suspense and build up leave you intrigued to know who 'they' are. The premise is familiar but I was left feeling refreshed by the way those trapped in isolation from a disaster referenced deeper human, primordial instincts. The forming of tribes and a Lord of The Flies affect is felt as the occupants slowly are driven mad. I loved the addition of Milo Ventimiglia was really a welcome one. He is a great actor and really shone in this movie. It is not the most polished thriller/horror I have ever encountered but it has its really stand-out shocking moments which make it worth the watch.

"Lord of the Flies" for the 21st century generation

Author: rooprect from New York City
24 December 2014

In 1954 William Golding wrote a scathing parable of human nature called "Lord of the Flies". You were probably forced to read it in 9th grade English, but if you were snoozing I'll recap: it's an allegory that tells the tale of a bunch of children stranded on an island, trying to form a micro society in order to survive. Fine, upstanding post-Victorian British lads at first, they slowly devolve into the most unsettling savagery, violence, fascism and murder when they realize that there are no rules.

Every few decades, this compelling tale has gotten a facelift adapting it to a new generation. Notable was the excellent Japanese film "Battle Royale" (2000) which was about a bunch of high school kids forced to compete to the death, in order to "graduate". A sort of updated "Lord of the Flies" specific to modern Japanese cut-throat education and social Darwinism with a lot of blood & guts to boot, that movie just plain rocked.

Now, in 2011 we have an even more chilling depiction of human nature, frighteningly consistent with the times we live in because it focuses heavily on paranoia, distrust and the fear-driven selfishness that seems to have pervaded the "war on terror generation". In addition, the film is not afraid to dive boldly into disturbing sexual violence which neither of the other 2 examples touched on.

"The Divide" begins with an apocalyptic blast sending people scurrying for safe haven. In the first few seconds of the film, the "lucky" 10 make it to a makeshift fallout shelter where they are forced to live for possibly the rest of their lives; nobody really knows the extent of the radiation outside. As a sidenote, if you find the beginning to be a little insipid, stick with it. When characters start to drop their candy coated exterior is when things get really interesting.

What we get is a slow, painful revelation of human nature. I say "painful" because it accuses every one of us. There's no real "good vs. evil" but instead this is the story of how we humans act, what got us into such a mess, and what if anything will be our future. It's "Lord of the Flies" and "Battle Royale" and "Clockwork Orange" all packed together, and let me tell you it's as intense as all of those put together. Note: I'm reviewing the extended cut.

Not for the faint of heart, definitely uncomfortable in many spots, there are disturbing scenes of violence, sexuality and general human poopiness. So I wouldn't use this as a first date ice breaker with that cute chick or guy you met at Starbucks. Although billed as a post-apocalyptic action flick, I wouldn't call it that (even though there's a ton of action). The film's power is in its ability to peel away the façade of each character, until you're not sure who's who and what's what. The ending is absolutely stunning, and it should leave you pondering for hours (if not days) after the credits roll.

Shadowy visuals with lots of symbolic use of light & shadow make this an artistic treat. As far as art goes, you'll be hooked from the opening scene: a tight closeup of a girl's face as a silent tear rolls down her cheek and we see the reflection of a nuclear blast in her iris. Gorgeously simplistic piano music sets the tone and carries this brooding, explosive, psychological roller coaster to one of the most poetic endings I've ever seen. Don't write this off as just another catastrophe flick. This is a classic for a new generation.

Film's ratings are biased

Author: José Pedro Gomes from Portugal
4 November 2013

Most people are used to be guided by other's ratings or previous existent movie rankings. Those people are used to be guided by acclaimed critics and those critics are guided by economical waves made in Hollywood. It's only media that matters as a global sociological phenomena and That's the only reason it occurs to me to explain the fact that everywhere this movie is being so low rated. In IMDb, Metacritics, Rotten Tomatoes. That and the power of denial.

Like in Hannanh Arendt sociological and political philosophy, this is not an easy black and white bad and evil piece of crap made in Hollywood, nor the spectator is in his sofa's comfort watching different twilight zone wolds assuming they have fictional characters with totally alien behaviors from his own human moral and ethical patterns. As in Hannanh's true philosophy, evil is not an extraordinary thing made by extraordinary people, in contrary is made by common people like you and I and it's the regurgitation of a cultural sociological mechanism called society. Adding the fact that you are an animal untied of moral directives when living with others in adversary and limited conditions, if, you don't follow strict rules common to all. Imagine an astronaut being anarchic in a shared space capsule!

That's the way our societies are driving in, putting the ego in first place, the money, the subtraction of the other for your own survival. That's the message you get if you see yourself mirrored in the possibilities of acting in such a desperate context. That's the way you behave if you are unable to reflect yourself as a possible selfish character of this movie. And that's the way thing's will always be if you keep insisting you are above bad actions or consequence of behavior: If you consider yourself exempt of possibly acting "devilish" either in reality, hypothesis or fiction, past present or future.

Great acting, script, photography. Like mules, spectators are not admitting that even if a movie bothers you deeply, it does not imply like a straight binary arrow it's a bad movie. Pay attention: Cinema is not made exclusively to please you or to throw popcorn!

Loved it

Author: m j from United States
22 April 2012

I don't understand the bad reviews. I enjoyed this film more than The Hunger Games. All the people expecting it to be like the crappy Saw movies don't have the intellect to enjoy good psychological horror.

Yes, the movie was dark but it was so much fun watching the characters erode down to their base human natures. It was done very well and it was not nearly as gruesome as people were making it out to be. It's one of the better adult horror sci-fi films I've seen in a long while.

Michael Biehn was also a treat to see again and he was very well casted here. Also the guy from Heroes whose name I don't remember was fun to see again. Rosanne Arquette had a hard part to play but she was excellent and her personal downward spiral was very believable.

Some things in the film weren't explained but that didn't take away from it at all. If you like dark films of a psychological bent showing Humanity without it's make-up on you'll like this one.

It's deeper than you'd think.

Author: Carl from United Kingdom
29 March 2012

Well, The Divide... As an apocalyptic film, I feel I have to put it up there with Threads and The Road sub-category. It is NOT a Mad Max style of apocalyptic film (which some would say was more entertaining).

I watched this film last night and I'm still thinking about it now the next day, so it's bleakness does hit you somewhat, providing you're in the right mood for such a film.

The film is mostly set in a basement, giving a real feeling of entrapment throughout the film. If I could make any similarities with any other films, I guess it would have to be Signs and Lord of the Flies.... Signs being a film in which I didn't enjoy. The Divide however is a fair amount more believable, with a better cast and whose characters are more interesting. The story itself is less sensational than that of signs, which in turn, doesn't annoy the viewer into thinking there could be a better story outside of these character's scenario.

This film in fact goes beyond being a tragedy. It gives a glimpse of a living hell. It is a devastatingly bleak movie, made all the more tragic when there are characters who are "nice people" caught up in the madness of a few. This film is very much about humans and how they cope in extreme situations.... The way they divide into separate groups etc etc.

It's fair to say, there are many films that tackle this issue, but The Divide just seems to hit more of a nerve for me. The backdrop is always there, eating away at all of the characters... which in turn hits home on just how bad surviving a nuclear war would be. By the end of the film there is only ever one conclusion. (I don't like putting in spoilers, so I'll leave it at that).