IMDb > The Divide (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 20 of 24: [Prev][15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [Next]

Exaggerated.

Author: DumondBatman from Italy
3 April 2012

I like the idea of people's "true nature" showing through once society is literally blown to smithereens, natural resources are scarce, and no clear chain of command is established.

But the people in this film go from normal, helpful, upstanding citizens to cross-dressing sex-crazed maniacs with homicidal tendencies in a matter of WEEKS.

It's sort of like a crappy version of "The Road", in terms of how human beings degenerate into mindless self-serving creatures once the world crumbles around them.

I mean, the guy that volunteers (spoiler alert) to run out and save a little girl from unknown armed forces, risking his life doing so, becomes a torturer, rapist and overall tyrant of a tiny bunker in the space of about a month.

Come on. I'm not saying I expect most people to keep it cool once their lives have been swept away by weapons of mass destruction, but unless half of the characters in this movie weren't secretly FREAKING INSANE even BEFORE the bomb went off, it just doesn't make any sense.

It's the end of the World and we don't care for it!

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
19 April 2012

Ah, Xavier Gens … Now here's a textbook example of a European horror prodigy director who crossed the Atlantic Ocean in favor to pursue a Hollywood career perhaps a few years too early. His native made "Frontière(s)" easily stands as one of the cruelest and most shocking horror movies of the new millennium, but then he immediately went downhill with the unsuccessful video game adaptation "Hitman". His colleague Alexandre Aja did a much better job after his native genre hit "Haute Tension", even though it has to be said he seemingly can't make anything but remakes anymore nowadays. Gens' newest accomplishment is an apocalyptic survival thriller and, quite frankly, that description alone I find alarming these days as we have seen one too many of those lately. Moreover, the film doesn't focus on the actual apocalypse and who or what caused it, but on a small bunch of survivors in a bombshell and how the isolation, despair and gradual abuse of power alters their behavior patterns and personalities. Movies that illustrate that ordinary human beings are in fact monsters when they're forced to co-exist under extreme circumstances … We have definitely seen one too many of those! Just think of the classic adaptations of "Lord of the Flies" and, more recently, "Das Experiment" and "Battle Royale". Gens' "The Divide" opens with the cataclysm (World War III and the impact of an atomic bomb is my closest guess) that we witness amidst the inhabitants of a big city apartment complex. Nine tenants manage just in time to seek shelter in the basement of janitor Mickey (Michael Biehn) who apparently was prepared for something dreadful like this to happen sooner rather than later. There's not a whole lot to do at first, except from munching canned beans and uphold the hope they will be rescued soon. As weeks pass by and reality painfully states clear there's nothing else alive anymore outside of the bombshell walls, the ambiance and vital conditions among the group grow increasingly disturbing. Two macho tenants put themselves forward as self-declared leaders, of course much against the will of janitor Mickey and the righteous minded Eva. Obviously, things quickly escalate beyond repair, resulting in rape, favoritism, torture, humiliating rites and the inevitable murders. "The Divide" is a massively unpleasant and ugly film and – even though this ought to be considered a compliment in case of a post-apocalyptic Sci-Fi thriller, it's really isn't the case. The scenario isn't thought-provoking or intelligent at all, and the film doesn't contribute any insight or psyche of the human mind whatsoever. None of the characters deserve any of your empathy and the vast majority of them are even downright repulsive. Or unrealistic, like Rosanna Arquette's character, for example. The degradation that she goes through is simply too ridiculous for words. If any random nine people should have lived through the bomb-dropping, it really shouldn't be these morons. Director Gens too often shows an unhealthy obsession for wanting to depict senseless violence, like the dull and irrelevant fixation on hacking up rotting corpses with an axe. Apparently this is the ultimate proof to show you're a warrior. Yeah! The special effects are impressive enough and it felt good to see Michael Biehn again in a major role… Just to say something positive to finish!

Dirt scenes

Author: Maahmu ha from Australia
30 March 2012

The movie comes through unnecessary nude and sex scenes. I do not know why they got these scenes at the middle of the movie. It is just addition to the time of the movie without any purpose the beginning of the movie is beautiful and making you feel that you are going to watch a fabulous movie. every thing was good till the strangers kidnapped the girl, after that I could not concentrate and understand what the purposes of many scenes. it was better for the team of this movie to shorten the time of the movies and make it more focus on the main core of the movie my experience with movie is bad and I do not recommend it for any one

A Poerful, Important Film

Author: Bob_the_Hobo
23 April 2013

Following a sudden explosion, a group of apartment-building tenants force themselves into an underground bunker created by their super, Mickey (Michael Biehn). Soon it appears they are all at the mercy of their landlord and the mysterious people dressed in hazmat suits that track them down. But as supplies dwindle and morale runs low, and the radiation from the outside seeps in, it becomes apparent to all that no one can be trusted.

Xavier Jens offers the audience an absolutely stunning, awe-inspiring film that will leave you speechless. The "end-of-the-world survivors" storyline was running on empty until The Divide came along. But it is not just the inner survivalists that will feel the power of The Divide. It is a film where every character actor shines and changes, some to the point of being a completely different person once the credits roll.

The criminally underrated Michael Beihn leads the cast as Mickey, the foul-mouthed, cigar chomping landlord who begrudgingly allows his tenants into his private bunker. You can hardly blame him for being angry at the unexpected mouths to feed. But as his backstory is revealed, you understand his world, and how vicious the world around him has been and will continue to be. His work here is the finest he has ever put to the screen.

But it is the rest of the cast that makes The Divide so stunning, rounded out by little-known method actors who walk into that bunker as everyday people and transform into animalistic creatures before their very eyes. Michael Eklund and Milo Ventamiglia make the audience shudder as the two turn from normal, healthy young men to sadistic cretins that use their power over food for bartered favors, both sexual and mental favors that cause the other occupants of the bunker to change with them.it is this kind of despicableness that makes those wishing survivalists want to change their minds.

I have been thinking as to what the title could refer to. I think it is the divide of the human psyche under times of unprecedented stress, or perhaps the divide of those survivors in the bunker desperately trying to cling to their humanity. Whatever the divide truly is, I hope never to encounter it outside of a film like this.

This is an important film. The Divide will make you question not only the ethics of the assembled characters but the ethics of yourself and your family and friends if such circumstances were to occur. Buy this film, because if you can stomach it, you will need to see it again the second it is over.

Great post apocalyptic themed movie!

Author: Michael 'Hallows Eve' Smillie from New Zealand
8 July 2012

I just rented it out not long ago and I have to say it was one of the greatest films I've seen this year! I loved the post apocalyptic theme and how the movie showed the deterioration of the human psyche with the remaining few people who were thrown into a situation they could not control. The movie had me intrigued from the first scene. It had tension throughout and I couldn't turn away. The cast had me wanting to know their story, almost caring about what they were going through, I couldn't look away. In my opinion, this was a great movie, great cast and well told story. A solid 9 out of 10 from me. Well done Xavier Gens.

Can't understand the dislike

Author: njjessica from United States
24 May 2012

I found this movie to be excellent. Granted there were some things that could have been answered. Like the fact that they seemed to have an endless supply of cigarettes and I know no one had time to grab a couple cartons of cigarettes while running for their lives to the basement. I can't stand the reviews that bring up the fact that they didn't spend more time on what was going on outside. News flash, that wasn't the point of the movie. The movie was about the dynamic between the people stuck in the basement and their individual mental breakdowns. Also people didn't like how much they bickered and argued from the start assuming they were just meeting each other for the first time. You can tell by the fact that they all knew each other's names that they knew each other from living in the same apartment and it seems they weren't fond of each other before the explosion. Naturally being freaked out about what just happened they are going lash at emotionally and why not the people they are stuck with that they don't like already anyway.

One more thing I would like to address is the people saying their mental state deteriorated way to fast. Can I point out that they were all aware of the fact that they were exposed to the radiation from the air outside. They had to be mentally aware of two very obvious facts. One was they were all sick and that a slow and painful death was in the near future and the other was that they were sealed in never to see the outside world again, stuck in what would become their tomb. Who would not go a little crazy in that situation. Eklund's character Bobby had to chop up bodies for crying out loud. That would definitely push any normal person over the edge pretty quick and I think Bobby's insanity helped push Milo's character Josh down the same path being that they were best friends to begin with. The performances Eklund and Milo gave were amazing. Eklund's character creeped me out and made it hard to watch some of his scenes.

The only reason I gave it a 9 instead of ten and I hate to say this but Michael Biehn's character. It isn't that he was bad but I thought he overacted most scenes and it seemed like throughout the movie all his dialogue was done in a yelling voice which some of his dialogue did not call for it. I am not saying he is a bad actor. He did great in his early movies. Two of my favorites are Terminator and Tombstone. Plus he looks damn good for someone who will be 60 in a few years.

I hope people overlook the bad reviews and take the time to watch this movie.

Disturbing

Author: joshuap1991 from United States
4 May 2012

The movie started out fast and it kept its pace. The story line is basic. A nuclear bomb hits NYC and these people get trapped in a basement and have to survive. The story never explains "somethings" in the movie. It never explains why a nuclear war began. Its just "BOOM! Here we go". It left me wondering and wanting more, but I guess that's what the movie wants you to feel. Its extremely disturbing and makes you feel empty at the end. Like: What would I have done in that situation? The acting is hit or miss through out the movie, but its never terrible. All and all the movie leaves a dark message about the human race. It does what it wanted to do and it does it well. If they would have improved on the acting and dialog is some shots the movie could have been a real gem rather than a barley above average horror flick.

If you are interested in watching it. Its definitely worth it. I don't know if I can watch it more than once because of how depressing it is, but its a decent film. Good date night film. lol.

Thanks!

Very different, but very GOOD!

Author: paytonprovo from United States
28 April 2012

What do I say about the Divide. It is very different from anything I have ever seen. It has very good acting, good Sy Fy element and realistic features that make you think what would I do? This movie is sick, no one under 18 or someone who is squeamish should not watch this. I don't even want to think of the unrated version. I loved the soldiers that come in the movie at the start. They looked scary, the gun looked cool and they looked liked they were from the future. The main actors were good, the two guys that became the bad guys actually acted crazy. I thought they were crazy for a little bit. Micheal Biehn was a great actor again. I loved the ending, the main girl leaves her husband or boyfriend, I don't know, and Michael Biehn behind to save herself. I loved this movie, it's disgusting and different, but it is good.

Probably Not Worth Watching

Author: crestronwizard from United States
28 May 2012

I've seen worse movies but I don't readily remember when. I gave it a 3 instead of a 1 because it did have potential and the acting wasn't too bad. Lots of little things could have been done to make this much much better. The things that they portray in the movie could certainly happen but the breakdown they showed would be over weeks not days. If it was weeks then they did not point that out as no real timeline was given. The weird stuff with the men in white was not followed up on and that would be OK since the plot of the movie was to deal with the people in the bunker but why show things the men in white were doing then? Might be OK to watch if it's on TV and free. Not worth rental or buying in my opinion.

Not as bad as some people claim but that is the most positive thing I can say about this movie.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
18 May 2012

After hearing so many bad things about this movie, I was kind of expecting the worst but I must say that the movie is not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. Or well, perhaps it just happens to be so that I have seen far worse stuff in my life already.

This movie still remains a failure, since it doesn't succeed at what it attempts to achieve. Seems that the movie foremost wanted to be one about the survival of the fittest and how the human minds works and can change when a persons get packed together in a closed environment, in this case a bomb shelter, after a nuclear explosion. This potential all could had been good and interesting. It could had turned into a pretty decent psychological thriller but problem with the movie is that it never handles anything realistically enough. The movie is ridicules and totally unconvincing with both its events and characters.

All of the characters are such extreme stereotypes and all do some stupid and highly unlikely stuff. It just never feels likely that people would truly behave like this, in case of a real similar type of event. Every character in this movie basically does something despicable as well, which makes all of them far from likable enough and the only character that still works out is the Lauren German, since she seems to be the only normal one.

Another weird aspect about the movie is that it feels like two separate movies. The tone and story of the movie its first and second half seems to be completely different, as if the film-makers changed their minds halfway through the production of this movie. Every little plot line that got buildup in its first half and everything that could had been potentially good and interesting gets completely ignored in its second half. And because the movie feels like two completely different stories, the movie also tends to get and feel a bit overlong. I get fed up with it after a while, also since the movie simply seemed to run out of steam and new ideas after a short while already.

Nothing too exciting, tense, original or well made. It's not the worst movie you are ever likely to see but still I just can't think of any good reason why you should ever go watch it in the first place.

Page 20 of 24: [Prev][15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [Next]