IMDb > The Divide (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Divide

The Divide More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

I lost my time with this "movie"

Author: marulez from Romania
28 March 2012

My God! What a piece of thrash... Hollywood just doesn't stop spewing garbage into the world. And they still wonder why their industry is going down??? The number of movies has vastly increased, there are too many movies coming out from Hollywood than ever before and most of them are rubbish.

This particular example (The Divide) is a post-apocalyptic type of movie, just like all the others of its kind, but just like all the others, it's rubbish. There is only one such movie which I consider it to be 100% realistic and beautifully done: THE ROAD (2009). Now that's what I call a masterpiece of post-apocalyptic movie. A solitary man who trusts nobody and wants nobody's help beautifully survives along his son, with no hysterical and psychotic scenarios like the ones in The Divide.

The story in The Divide is awful, disgusting with many unnecessary scenes. The writers of this story probably considered people (in general) like some sort of brainless uncontrolled maniacs.

The movie could have been a masterpiece just like The Road if they would have given the MAIN ROLE to the administrator (Mickey). I don't know why they made him look like a villain. It was his shelter, his food, bought with his money, earned from his work. All the other brainless imbeciles were just intruders (I couldn't call them guests because Mike didn't really wanted them in the first place). I felt no sympathy with any of the characters from this movie. I couldn't find anyone with whom I could associate my self with.

Well in short, all I can say is that I lost my time with this typical garbage. Nothing special to see here folks, move along.

A horrifying and disturbing look at what a group of strangers do after the apocalypse. Not bad but very disturbing. I say B-.

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
28 March 2012

"This ain't exactly the garden of Eden." After a nuclear bomb is dropped and earth is uninhabitable a group of tenants of an apartment are forced to live together in the basement of the building. What starts off as a tense situation quickly explodes into something much, much worse and everyone's views of each other change. This is not what I was expecting. I thought this would be more of a Sci-Fi type movie and what it was was a very disturbing look at what different people will do when pushed to the edge. For those that have seen the movie "Blindness" you will know what to expect. For those that haven't be warned, this is a very, very disturbing look at the human condition and makes you wonder what you would do in this situation. Overall, more disturbing then anything. Not bad, but you must be ready for what you will see. I give it a B-.

Worst movie ever, just plain stupid!

Author: sungam65 from Sweden
6 April 2012

If i could, I would give it negative stars, like -5. It kind of sucks out your brain and steps on it.

Basically the story has potential. Dramatic entrance, mystic plot, this could have been a good movie.

Sadly this was only the first minutes of the movie, then it developed into a stupid orgie in "Whos crazy now", meaningless, unmotivated violence.

The mystic plot? well, they forgot to tell you about it.

The movie is so bad that I think it takes 2-3 good movies to get over it so I can go on with my life.

Stay away from this one.

Disgustingly beautiful

Author: Perry Bee from On a distant star
30 March 2012

I read about this film last year and thought this could make for good viewing, but did not think it would be more than a gore/horror teen flick. I am not saying it is not for teens, but it was a surprise for me, I really like some of the ways the director filmed the great acting performances from the whole cast, sure there are a few mistakes in the storyline (whole country is nuked but somehow they seem to have endless power) (the enemy use M16 based weapons, and they are Asian invaders) and it leaves a few question marks about why or how, but it really does not take away any power that comes from this storyline! I have read some people think humans would not behave like the people in this film, and I am not going to argue that point, as I do know better! Most if not all living things will do the most extreme things when pushed into a corner, than take away a food and drink supply and watch what happens, and humans are no different.

I felt the film was shorter than it really was, but I guess it meant for me I was glued to the screen. The storyline gets going real fast, and the characters are very well portrayed by the actors, just enough blood for it not to be a blood and guts type of film, but where it hits home for me is the horror of the characters, the director really did a great job convincing me about the horror of the situation these people got put in.

Sure I felt a bit flat about the enemies coming and going so fast, but it really did not need any more input, as the film hits home so well from start to the last minute of the film.

I was going to give it a 10, but took away a point due to a few small holes in the script, I am sure it is not for every one. but I thought the great music score and great acting and storyline made this a real surprise for me! 9 out of 10

waste of time

Author: s-k-u-l-l-b-o-y from Canada
20 May 2012

WARNING THIS REVIEW WILL RUIN THE MOVIE FOR YOU AND SAVE YOU 2 HOURS OF TIME:) i could not stand this movie it makes absolutely no sense first off nothing is explained why are nukes going off in this city? why do the fall out guys take the little girl and put her in some chamber with band aids over her eyes and a tube in her mouth? how and why the hell did the guys in white suits set up all those tubes in the apartment building when clearly at the end of the movie the whole city is in ruins what made that apartment so special to set up a lab? what really pisses me off is the ending the dumb bitch already has rad poisoning yet she still takes the suit and screws the other two over when they could have had at least a little chance to surviving every character was annoying and pretty stupid at times this movie was poorly made and thought out i wouldn't recommend it to anyone i wont be watching another movie written by Karl Mueller,and Eron Sheean anytime soon

Do not. Believe. The poor reviews.

Author: maxfawcett from Northampton, UK
15 October 2016

First and foremost, do not believe a word anyone who reviews this film as anything less than a 6/10 has to say. There is undeniably a lack of persuasive material at the start of this film; more could definitely have been made of the initial attack, the acting is by no means as compelling as that in the second half. However, this is a film very, very much for those who like to completely immerse themselves in the storyline and appreciate the effort put into a twisted one. What The Divide does so impressively, in my mind, is take your initial, average nuclear-detonation bunker survivalist meet and greet and turn it into something so much darker.

The character development (more the character decay) throughout this film is some of the best I have seen in any horror. Multiple characters are seen to unsurprisingly lose their minds, but the fashion in which it occurs is truly harrowing. There are scenes I did not expect to come across in a movie with such despicable reviews. There is thought applied here on the filmmaker's part. Without wanting to give too much away, the deterioration of one female character's mind and body is almost troubling to watch. Sexual aggression is a theme rife throughout and it is not a film for those unaccustomed to such psychological torment.

Most impressive in my mind is the total absorption of the characters in these actors. It is the closest, and for that reason, most troubling enactment of societal breakdown I can envision in such a scenario. So confined, so reliant upon one another... that can and does turn nasty. The make-up is very impressive bar a few, unfortunate details (likely to not even occur to those not looking) and the actions of the character in the final scenes are some I considered exciting, spontaneous, opportunistic and required where others did not. I would suggest those of that opinion do not possess the intellectual spread to appreciate her reasons for doing as she does.

A fine, fine film. One I will not forget.

You need to have a strong stomach to get into it.

Author: Saad Khan from Pakistan
9 April 2012

The Divide – CATCH IT (B+) The Divide is a violent post-apocalyptic thriller, which takes you into the twisted sick mind of humans. The movie starts with the world collapses and bunch of survivors end up into their building's basement. From there the struggle for the survival starts, not only they have to fight the people outside but also the people they're trapped inside. The Divide is a pleasant surprise I don't know why it got bad reviews from the reviewers all over but I think as horror/thriller fans it's defiantly a good surprise. The best thing about the movie is it takes it time to grow on you and the characters also grow as the movie processed. In the beginning people who seems nice becomes utmost evil and demented in the end. There are many sequences in the movie which will make you squirm and feel disgusted. The performances by Milo Ventimiglia, Michael Eklund & Rosanna Arquette are worth mentioning, they have literally taken the psychic sickness to next level. Lauren German as the main protagonist is good though she lacks star power or charisma of the main lead. Ashton Holmes, Abbey Thickson Michael Biehn & Ivon Gonzales did a fine job. On the whole, it takes a very strong heart to go through the Divide. And keep one thing in mind that it's not for the faint hearted people. You need to have a strong stomach to get into it.

A nuclear attack or... a mutated T-Virus from Umbrella Corp?

Author: aberacadabera
30 June 2012

(This contains spoilers) This is probably the worst movie I've ever seen in my life. (BTW, I'm not slamming Resident Evil in the title, I just think these people had to be infected with something like the T-Virus) Many people find themselves in worse or similar situations and don't start functioning like subhuman animals escaped from a twisted mad scientists laboratory.

It is set in the time after a nuclear attack on NYC in a makeshift bomb shelter. Early in the movie, all of the characters shout, bang and yell most of the time without provocation in dramatic looking poses to dramatic sounding music and behave like total brats. They have instincts worse than reptiles who eat their own young and none of their behaviors make any sense. Several of the characters develop (and that is a strong word) into cross dressing neo-nazi looking freaks who shave their heads using an American flag as a barbers bib. They repeatedly rape a girl named Marilyn throughout the film.

Early on the viewer is introduced to some scientists, who the entire group of main characters turn on and kill in a fit of rage. We later never figure out who they were or what they were doing. During the killing of the scientists, a little girl is kidnapped and we never learn what happens to her in the movie.

Throughout the story the film depicts the desecrating corpses as the worst of sins (cue the drama music and characters rebelling against), while downplaying the trauma of murder, rape and cannibalism (no characters rebelling against, crickets might be chirping). In the end three of the people get together to try to save each other and one of them takes the only radiation suit and abandons them in a fire. Then the credits show.

If someone out there thinks this is how everyday people behave under stress then I'm astonished. The scenes resemble a prison where you would put all of the serial killers in and put them on drugs.

Do not waste your time.

Great film but super duper depressing

Author: ticklegear from United States
27 March 2012

I'm a big fan of Michael Biehn so I had to check this out.

The plot is simple - a group of survivors are trapped and slowly turn on each other as their humanity decays.

This is a psychological thriller that is so sickening at times that it's difficult to watch. The acting by everyone was surprisingly good. Everyone did their roles very well and I was immersed in the hell they found themselves. By the end of the film, I wondered how I would handle such a situation and I came to an oddly simple conclusion.

All I would need is some basic combat training. The bullies were just pussi*s. They wouldn't stand a chance if the rest of the group had any balls or if ONE of the 'good' guys had decent fighting skills.

While I think this movie is realistic, it is super depressing. I enjoyed the movie and I think the acting in particular was spectacular, but I'm so depressed :( It's true - the lucky ones died in the blast

I was surprised indeed by "The Divide" (2012) – a flawed post-apocalyptic horror film that nevertheless has a hell of a lot going for it.

Author: ericrnolan from United States
9 October 2014

It's a horrifying, brutal look at seven apartment building residents who survive a nuclear holocaust by sheltering together in the building's basement.

Does that sound dark? Because it's a hell of a lot darker than you think it is. This film is brutal and disturbing – even by the standards of the survival-horror sub-genre.

The script is flawed, but this movie still surprised me and held me in suspense. You know it's a worthwhile movie if you can't stop watching it, even if the screen writing isn't perfect. That's partly due to a great cast – with terrific performances by Michael Biehn, Courtney Vance, Lauren German, Milo Ventimiglia, Ashton Holmes, Rosanna Arquette and Ivan Gonzalez.

Despite the good acting all around, the runaway performance was Michael Eklund as Bobby. This guy is an incredibly talented actor. He nailed the role of a survivor who descends quickly into madness and depravity, and was probably the best thing about this movie. His performance actually reminded me a hell of a lot of Buffalo Bill in "Silence of the Lambs." That kid was amazing and terrifying. (I don't think what I'm writing here is a spoiler; everyone knows the premise of the movie, and Bobby is recognized almost immediately as an erratic personality.)

This movie reminded me just a little of the superb BBC docudrama, "Threads" (1984), which was an equally brutal look at the aftermath of a nuclear war – far more so than the inferior American "The Day After," which made headlines a year earlier. (And doesn't everyone in my age bracket remember that?)

The special effects budget is limited. But the final shot of the movie is fantastic.

Again … this is not a feel-good film, even when compared with other movies like this. This movie was written by people who have absolutely no faith in human nature. The final choice by one character is pretty sad evidence of that. What the character does seems inexplicable at first, but then makes perfect sense when you think about it. And it's pretty depressing.

I'd give this movie an 8 out of 10.

Page 2 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]