IMDb > The Divide (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Divide

The Divide More at IMDbPro »

Page 19 of 24: [Prev][14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [Next]

Pretentious cliché' piece of garbage

Author: dioditto from London
7 April 2012

Let me just say it straight off - don't waste your time. This is one of the worst pretentious piece of trash I have seen for a long time. The over-actings are awful, the plot holes were glaring, and the directions were amateurish at best, as the director wants to let the audience know his message through a megaphone. There is absolutely no subtlety to speak of.

One of the plot hole will make you think if the director were smoking crack - because it doesn't add up with the previously established spatial sequence (when they walk into the basement it was stairs and walls; but when one of the guy walk out it is not).

The ending was also god awful, it makes the whole movie pointless. Just avoid this stinking trash and watch "The Mist" (2007) by Frank Darabont instead. You will thank me later.

Very, very bad, unfortunately.

Author: chillgreg from Australia
28 March 2012

I gave this 2 stars: 1 for very good makeup and sets, and the second for the fine performance from the gorgeous Lauren German.

Don't believe what some critics are saying about Michael Biehn, his effort is C-grade at best. Rosanna Arquette just does what she does best, effortlessly playing a psychotic sl*t.

This movie was a challenge to sit through, and I only persisted because of my love for the genre and hope that it would get better.

Extremely disturbing does not a bad movie make, but when combined with an incoherent script and reliance on shocking human depravity this movie just fails on nearly all levels.

I won't say a complete waste of time, but given a complete script re-write, what could have been...

If you sate for a great movie in this genre, give this a miss and watch Gattaca instead.

A nuclear bomb.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
26 August 2014

In the basement of a New York high-rise apartment building, a desperate group of survivors take refuge from what they believe to be a nuclear strike. As the days slowly turn into weeks, fear takes control and the group begin to turn on each other, with shocking results.

Set in a single location with a minimal cast (which includes Michael 'Terminator' Biehn and Rosanna Arquette) and clocking in at almost two hours, Xavier Gens' The Divide is a bold and brutal exploration of the darker side of human nature; unfortunately, it's not a particularly good one, the claustrophobic scenario quickly becoming very tedious, the pace being tortuously slow, the characters proving extremely annoying, and the plot severely lacking in adequate exposition and logic (if it was so easy to pop on the hazmat suit and exit via the septic tank, why didn't someone do it sooner?).

Kudos for giving it a go, Xavier, but the end result is about as much fun as wading through human waste and rotting body parts.

You're gonna carry that weight...

Author: Craven1138 from Poland
23 May 2013

This is an incredibly well made movie. Music is perfect, acting is top-notch, and cinematography is mind blowing at moments (especially impressive for a movie that pretty much takes place in a basement.

At the same time it is a dark, grim, disturbing, ugly movie. Watching Divide is like gazing into very dark place in humanity's soul. And there is no khatarsis, no twist, no message. It's "just" an exposition of horror.

I have seen probably between 1500 and 2000 movies, but I can't think of many more that I just can't score on a simple scale from 1-10. It just doesn't apply to this one.

Sleeper Hit Of The Year?

Author: MetalBlade from Sheffield, UK
20 August 2012

OK maybe not a hit, but definitely a film that grabbed my attention after ten seconds and held me in a vice like grip of tension and horror for two hours.

First off, I recommend watching this film blind, as I did. I knew vaguely what it was about, but nothing could have prepared me for what I saw.

This is a film I had heard about at the back end of 2011, when the story was that Michael Biehn - star of The Terminator, Aliens and The Abyss, and one-time shoe-in for the Peter Parker role until Toby Maguire steamed in and made a rom-com trilogy out of Spider-Man - was about to emerge back in the spotlight. Biehn has long been one of my favourite actors, and I had been anticipating this film for some months, when I got hold of a DVD copy the other day and thought, "well this slipped under the radar... no cinema release, no hype for six months and it just appears on DVD".

So I watched it.

When it had finished I realised how tense I had felt throughout the whole two hours, it was one of the most gripping and horrifying films I've ever seen, and one of the best I had seen for some years. I have been thinking about the film daily since I saw it last week, and I keep reliving the events in my mind over and over. It's really affected me a lot.

Now I am one of those people who generally doesn't read reviews for films I have not yet seen, and I tend to read reviews after the fact to see what others thought, which is why I was so shocked to read so much negativity towards this beautiful/ugly vision of hell. I think the mistake a lot of people make - especially professional critics - is that they read reviews or hear a lot of information and hype beforehand and go into a film having preconceptions, and if the film does not match those preconceptions, then it registers as misguided disappointment.

So after reading so much bad press about this frankly Oscar-worthy film, I vow never to read a review before a movie ever again, and I am going to try really hard not to read any previews or too much hype about any film I intend to watch one day.

You will notice that I have not mentioned anything about the story or the characters or anything really about the film itself, because I want you to see the film almost as I did, albeit having foreknowledge about how it affected me.

If you are weird, this is for you!

Author: svetlana domichina from Canada
30 July 2012

This movie was, honestly, awful. I thought it would be more about the end of the world but it wasn't. it was more about people going crazy and getting raped. It was a piece of crap. The gory scenes were completely UN-necessary. They chopped up 2 people, and the story line was horrible. Total cliché. Yeah, you went crazy because of radiation. WHY did only 3 NOT go crazy? Oh yeah, because this movies a piece of crap. They cut off a dudes finger and locked him in a room. Then one of the guys poohed in it. SERIOUSLY?!?! Oh, yeah. The grandmother got raped by a weirdo and then died. okay. well, it was horrible. If there was a 0 rating, that's what i would give it.

Some very tense moments.

Author: notact from United States
21 May 2012

I normally don't review movies and am just a spectator usually enjoying a movie in the moment then moving on. I had to get a review of this movie down on IMDb. Big budget movies take the spotlight and movies, and performances like these normally do not get the attention they deserve. This movie, while not a 10, was very tense and had some moments that made my chest tingle. Robert Eklund in the "Bobby" role was awesome. He played just a creepy ass dude, apocalypse meets meth addict. The budget was low but the acting was superb. There were times when the time lines were a little off, or seemed to me to be off. My wife and I enjoyed it. I was very surprised she watched the whole movie with me and stayed awake. Normally she does not handle a movie this disturbing very well. Disturbing as it was, it was still a great set of performances in a story that would in many ways mirror the truth of the situation.

My interpretation

Author: Luke Helps from Australia
20 May 2012

This movie definitely has ups and downs along the ways of how rushed it is at the beginning. I'm no movie critic, so just bare with me.

The scenes up to about half way through the movie seemed, for lack of a better word, rushed? I don't know about you guys but all the post-apocalyptic movies I've seen, they have portrayed the first half of the movie to be a slow and tedious battle to keep sane whilst being cooped up in such a small space with a group of strangers. Where as in this, it was all very rushed and most of the time it didn't make sense.

Having said that, I did thoroughly enjoy the movie! The soundtrack was amazing, and if you're like me, the soundtrack plays a huge part in the watch-ability of a movie. The acting was pretty decent too, in most cases it was better than A lot of the "A" grade actors. Towards the end of the movie you start to get a feeling of a sort of "shortness of breath" as the anxiety of getting out kicks into the characters a little more!

All in all, a pretty good movie. Would have been better if they spent more than a month filming it, but a pretty good effort none the less.

Great idea, poorly executed

Author: LynchpinHags from Australia
13 April 2012

Like a lot of people lately, mainly due to games like Fallout and good stories like "The Road", the post-apocalypse theme is one I'm fairly fond of. So when I heard about "The Divide", the story of a group of survivors of a nuclear attack hiding in a bunker, I was very keen to see it. I'm also a big fan of underrated actor Michael Beihn.

So, great setting, and a few smatterings of promising actors, like Heroes' Ventimiglia as well - this should be a good thing, right?

The story is completely let down by very, very poor dialogue, and some very sketchy acting by all, particularly by Ivan Gonzalez, who plays the vapid Sam. Michael Beihn does his best to carry the show, but ultimately fails with lines such as "You have a brain the size of a pea", which he shouts at his torturer at one point (personally, I doubt you'd use the insults of a 5 year old when being mutilated).

Milo does fairly well, but the show is stolen by Lauren German, who is gorgeous and could certainly act her way out of a wet paper bag.

Some snippets of great moments bubble up to the surface at times, such as when Milo ventures out of the bunker and finds some children who are in some sort of stasis. It adds to the mystery, but it would have been good if this was further explored when another character escapes, instead of having them wander through the wasteland.

I get that this is about "the fall of man" and not really about the nuclear attack, and that theme is fairly well explored with no punches pulled. But the aforementioned theme could have been thoroughly explored in half the time, allowing for the characters to make further explorations into their new world.

Overall, a good idea, let down by bad acting and worse dialogue. Worth a watch on a lazy night if you've nothing better on your watch list.

Ridicoules

Author: sjensenstrad from Thailand
23 August 2012

Here it is again I have to write at least 10 tines to be able to ad the review and this movie isn't worth 10 of my lines, OK I give it a try. I rate the "movie" 3 for the try. But then there are not much to say than the behavior of these characters is totally ridicules. Unless these persons stuck in the basement actually was from a hardcore mental institution the movie make NO SENSE. No one with the slightest common sense would act like that or let others act like that. How it was possible to take the movie seriously is a mystery. And that it has been written and actually produced is crazy. To give it high rating most be given by people with very little in sight in human nature, and thats a sad fact. Omg can I find more to write about this movie... not really. Well it is a low budget movie so from that point of view it is actually a great movie hahahaha.