IMDb > The Divide (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Divide

The Divide More at IMDbPro »

Page 12 of 23: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]

Will divide opinion but I really liked it.

Author: yeltzmanmatt from Birmingham, England
20 June 2013

Eight people are stuck in a basement following a devastating attack on New York city. The Divide follows them as they come under attack from people trying to get in and then we watch as the group fragments under the stress of the situation.

I was expecting the normal clichéd survival movie but this has plenty of surprises up it's sleeve. It is an unexpectedly unpredictable film that becomes more and more violent and hard to watch as it goes on.

The acting is pretty good and there are good performances from the two female leads Rosanna Arquette and especially Lauren German who really carries the film over the last half.

There is plenty of suspense and some quite tense scenes as the group falls apart.

This film won't appeal to everyone but if you like gruesome thrillers this is a real treat. It does leave some questions unanswered which is a good thing in my book and ends with a nicely filmed and ambiguous ending. Well worth a watch.

What happens to humanity when you take away consequence and order.

Author: Piers Hausjell from London
22 November 2012

The Divide is a post-apocalyptic dystopian masterpiece set in New York after a nuclear event that, from the outset, shows the audience what humanity is capable of when faced with no laws, no control and no consequences.

The mixture of high quality acting, well constructed sets, superb directing and a soundtrack that would be fitting of John Murphy makes the audience engage with the story and sit on the edge of their seats with anticipation.

There are unanswered questions but that shouldn't matter, if you enjoy work from directors such as Danny Boyle and Frank Darabont then The Divide will appeal to you. Some scenes push boundaries in ways which might make viewers look away, feel disgusted or even press the stop button but they are crucial to the plot and done with a unique and refreshing feel that I was not expecting.

Xavier Gens (Hitman) shows a uniquely dark side I never thought I would see and Michael Eklund really steals the limelight for the diversity in which he plays his character. I look forward to seeing more work from both of them and hope they work together in the future.

I don't understand the terrible reviews. I LOVED THIS MOVIE.

Author: britneypaigerobbi from Indiana
3 September 2012

I made an account just to review this movie because I was completely bummed by the things people were saying about it. It is a little disturbing but that is what made it stick with me throughout the night and even the next day. People were saying "unbelievable situations", what a load of crap because worse things could be going on in your neighbors house right now. These people have CLEARLY lost their minds, but who wouldn't have after losing all their family/children/friends and coming to the reasoning they will never see anything outside of this s*it hole basement. AMAZING acting, I was blown away by the characters Milo Ventimiglia and Michael Eklund portrayed. Lauren German and Rosanna Arquette had some wonderful moments as well. I agree the whole men in white suits and stealing the child was a little out of place and made viewers believe there would be more to the movie, but I would never say I was disappointed because the movie was exactly what I expected from the trailer. Just a bunch of people going crazy in a crammed space, and how people can change drastically once they realize there is nothing more to live for. I will be buying this movie, if you don't like it I would assume it is because you have a weak stomach. Anyone that can handle a little sex and gore could certainly appreciate this film.

Disturbing...but Great!

Author: elmeeksio from United Kingdom
9 August 2012

I went into watching this movie with little knowledge about the plot. All I had seen was a short trailer and the fact that it had both Michael Biehn (the legendary Hicks from 'Aliens') and Milo Ventimiglia aka Peter Pattrelli from 'Heroes' in it! Not a bad combination i thought....and i was correct.

The movie starts with the Apocolyptic event as it happens, then we are thrown into the chaos with 8 residents of a New York apartment block who are forced down into the bomb shelter to escape the blasts. The pacing is a little slow at first as the characters try to deal with what is happening, and the predictable arguments over food etc start to break out. However suddenly the pace picks up and the arguments and their situation becomes more severe! We then see a dramatic collapse of morals, and humanity...and i can't really say too much more without ruining it, but this is when the performances pick up too!!

Michael Biehn is great as the grouchy 'Mickey' who it seems looks after the apartment block and so at first takes it upon himself to be in charge..but it's later in the film that we realise this character has a lot more to offer than being grumpy and smoking cigars in an airtight bunker! The standout performance though for me was Milo Ventimiglia, his character Josh, begins being the predictable 'cool' one, but his little conflicts with Mickey begin to show he may not stay that way for long..and the way the movie builds to it's climax with this character, he becomes almost unrecognisable compared to the Josh we first met! A truly great and creepy performance from Milo!

A strong supporting cast, as well as great little twists to the 'stuck underground' plot, this movie is definitely worth checking out!

Be warned though, you may need a strong stomach for some scenes.

Doesn't deserve the hatred.

Author: jennyys from United Kingdom
10 June 2012

An easy movie to stomach? Probably not, but I've switched off far worse.

A portrait of how you and your friends would behave in a make-shift fallout bunker? I hope not.

Deserving of the hatred? Most definitely not.

I can understand why the movie polarises people so, but it's not a 'bad' movie. For the most part, the performances are first rate, including some very brave and non flattering performances. Rosanna Arquette was especially brilliant but also Michael Eklund and Milo Ventimiglia deserve recognition for their portrayals.

I've scanned through some of the reviews here and the most critical seem to be from those who misunderstand the story, didn't pick up on the clues regarding the passage of time or simply weren't presented with the movie they were expecting. Tip guys, just because a movie is two hours long and doesn't say 'X days later' on screen, it doesn't mean time hasn't passed.

Summary: It's a grim portrayal of humans in crisis. Very much worth watching if you're tempted. Don't be put off by the 'low' average rating, just because some 'prolific' arm-chair reviewer here on IMDb says it's not as good as 'Shark Night 3D' doesn't make it so!

This really scares me

Author: VALERIE Cheung
20 May 2012

I watched this movie alone in my room quietly last night. The apartment had nobody but me. Only the characters in the movie were talking/arguing/screaming and I was staring with my over-beating heart. I had long never been scared by a movie like that, I mean emotionally, morally, more deep into my soul.

Always being a Sci-Fi/horror movie lovers, I particularly like those movie talking about a bunch of strangers locked in an area and how are they related to each other, how are they survived each other, or how are they kill each other. Needless to say, I am talking about Saw series, Exam, The Cube series, The Experiment, Blindness, etc... The divide hit me as strong as the above.

- When it comes to the isolation of a group of people, a new society will be formed. A leader will come out and tell the other what to do next. But what the most interesting thing is, in the movie or in the real world, people posses that much power will either go right or wrong. Take the example, Josh and Bobby ration the food supply even they don't have the right to do so.

- The thing that most disgusted me but always true is human are only animal. Even a person with the highest moral value will do every thing to stay survive, otherwise he/she will break down, like Marilyn. You think she really like Bobby and she really want to be the sex machine? She knows deeply that the only thing she can do is to trade her body and her dignity with food. How pathetic.

And I know it's just a movie. But Milo Ventimiglia and Michael Eklund really make me sick. So this should proof them great actors. In the isolated world, all the rules and regulations will be vanished. People with power or physical advantage can do whatever they want to fulfill their lust. But on a second thought, they are no different from the wild animal. It is not a sin to remove their threat to protect themselves and reassure their power. It is also not guilty to have intercourse with someone, in the aspect of producing offspring.

- Typically the lead character will be the one fight against the villain and take the other innocent away. Eva, if I don't make mistake, should be the lead. But all she has done is giving us lots of suspicious eye-sights and close head-shots. What's more, she gives herself to Josh. I should not expect more that she can do more to build her heroine image apart from wearing the gear and jump to the feces pool at last.

Movies talk about humanity invoke a lots of deep reflections of mine. The bloody and raw scenes linger in my mind. I wonder I am one of the stranger in the mysterious room one day. Will I give up the hope to survive immediately and break down? Or will I be one of the small potatoes only know how to follow the majority? Or will I be the lead stand out and come up solutions to get everybody out? I think I will never get the answer.

Not exactly the Garden of Eden...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
10 August 2013

"The Divide" was an interesting movie in a couple of ways.

First of all, the way the movie dealt with the human psyche in times of crisis and in extremely hostile and stressful situations. It was really interesting to see how people interact with one another and start to change when cornered and trapped in a confined space. And director Xavier Gens really nailed it with this movie.

Secondly, it was a real treat to see how the trapped survivors psyche degraded and how their bodies degraded along with it. The effects and make-up was really spectacular, and brought this dimension so well to life on the screen. It was so real that you actually buy well into it. And thumbs up for that.

The story told in "The Divide" is about a small group of people who survive a nuclear attack by seeking shelter in the basement. But they are trapped, as the air is polluted outside by radioactive fallout and tensions start to rise high in the cramped basement as food and water supplies start to run scarce, and conflict is brewing between the survivors.

I will say that the acting in the movie was really great, and everyone on the cast list did excellent jobs, and each individually carried the movie well and contributed to the story. This was a real treat to behold. But also the characters were nicely fleshed out and detailed, giving the actors and actresses lots to work with.

"The Divide" is a movie well worth watching, because it is so intense and so well-told. The movie is disturbing, yet compelling and inspiring at the same time.

Might divide audiences, but I'm definitely on the 'love it' side!

Author: Maz Murdoch (asda-man) from United Kingdom
9 January 2013

Wow this man can direct! Xavier Gens, I am of course talking about who had a mild, if forgettable beginning with the mediocre Hit-man, but then went on to direct (in my opinion) one of the greatest modern horror films ever made in Fronter(s). Obviously a lot of people disagree with me, so I would imagine that a lot of people would be divided (pun absolutely intended) by Xavier's next horror film. Now The Divide promises a lot from its visceral opening as we watch New York burn to the ground through the eyes of people in an apartment building. The directing is quite beautiful in this section (and is throughout) with a fantastic sweeping shot down the staircase which almost creates an order out of the panic. Then we find a bunch of people locked in an aggressive man's Big Brother styled basement (you know the one with Paula). Then the titles run with an incredibly emotive score placed over it. I don't know why more people aren't talking about the score because it blew me away, it immediately sets the depressing tone and I felt almost quite move by it. From then on I knew that this film was going to produce good things, and I don't think that I was wrong!

The first act is pretty involving as we get to know the characters, all of whom don't seem to be that likable, however this changes as the film progresses. I think The Divide is the type of film that would get better with more views as you'd get to know the characters a bit better. I found myself confused in some parts because some people looked very similar and/or acted similar. By the end of it it's hard to tell anyone apart, but I think that that is very purposeful and illustrates the film's point perfectly. There are some dashes of thrilling action when some space men come in and don't behave too positively. We immediately get to see who the stronger characters are and we learn quite a lot about them through their actions. There's also some wonderful editing with that brilliant score being played over, most notably when the camera tracks past walls and we see all the characters. It's superbly done and memorable.

Unfortunately things start to take a slower place in the second act. Whilst the directing is still good, it all gets a bit talky without conveying much about the narrative or characters. Don't get me wrong, there is splashes of involving lunacy and we do get to spend more time getting to know everyone, but some scenes did tend to drag, similarly like in The Mist, although I suppose that film's that are just set in one location are going to drag slightly in places. Fortunately the third act more than makes up for it, producing some of the most intense scenes that could only exist in French cinema. There's also been some complaints about characters making stupid decisions, but you've got to remember that these people are completely starved and parched and of course aren't going to as on the ball as you and I (well maybe not me).

The third act is what prevents The Divide from sinking to an 8/10 to a 9/10. It becomes incredibly involving, and almost reminiscent of the third act of Frontier(s) (which is a good thing in my book). There was a moment when I realised that I no longer felt like I was watching a film, but was actually inside the basement with them. It's so involving and delivers a choking atmosphere that you're not likely to soon forget. It's so interesting to watch the characters completely psychologically deteriorate into psychotic dictators. It becomes quite frightening in some places! There were some moments, particularly towards the end, where I was on the edge of my seat, completely gripped. There are some very intense moments and characters who you end up rooting for.

The Divide also doesn't hold back any punches. There are some rather sick ideas explored, but all with good reason. Everyone gives a brilliant performance, which all builds up to an intensely moving finale. By the time it was finished I was in awe in what I just watched. It's depressing, bleak but brilliant and has got me excited to see what Xavier can produce next! The ending is beautifully shot and still conveys that atmosphere of hopelessness, which is never lost. It's an incredibly interesting and intricate psychological examination of humanity, whilst also being emotional, intense and thrilling. The ending was incredibly powerful, and was like a punch to the face. It has a haunting effect that will stay with you way after the credits have rolled. I loved it!

Grim, unrelenting and not for those who think human nature is about butterflies and fluffy bunnies.

Author: Rob_Taylor
27 December 2012

I use that tag line deliberately because a lot of reviews of this film have been written by people that perhaps should have done their homework before going in to see it. People who were surprised (and not in a pleasant way) by this film.

The Divide starts off with a nuclear attack on a major city. People run downstairs and a few are trapped in a makeshift bomb shelter created by the building's Super. Although argumentative, they quickly settle into a dull routine of waiting for help. However, when that help proves to be anything but helpful, things begin to spiral into madness and depravity.

The Divide, beyond that point, is unremittingly bleak and highlights the worst elements of human nature. Each of the characters have initial flaws that become exacerbated by the enforced confinement and the knowledge that the world has gone to hell above them.

Now, to those that found this movie horrible and shocking, I say this. Isn't that what you really want out of a horror movie? Would you rather walk out of such a movie yawning? Or feeling a little unsettled and maybe thinking about what you might do in that situation? I know which I'd prefer.

If you like grimmer, more realistic scenarios, then this movie is for you. If you like your movies to have happy endings, and for everything to be neatly tied up, then don't bother, you won't like this movie. None of the characters come out smelling of roses and, in fact, only one character comes out at all.

The Divide is a grim and unrepentant look at the dark side of human nature. Watch it expecting anything else and you will be disappointed and, apparently from the reviews here, shocked and appalled. But each individual has their own tastes.

I'm more appalled at the meta critic score. Casual dismissal by people who seemingly get paid to render their opinion. I expect that many of them did some kind of film appreciation course at school, or college. This seemingly gives them the right to trash a movie, apparently. Now I know why I don't pay much attention to so-called professional reviews! At any rate, I'd recommend this film to the non-squeamish and to people who like watching people unravel and descend into madness and primitive power games. There is violence both physical and sexual to be found here, but it is the psychological trauma displayed that really makes you think about what you are watching.

The acting is exceptional throughout with no one really letting the movie down. I've never been a fan of Milo Ventimiglia, but here he pulls out the stops as the crazed Josh whilst Michael Eklund gives a truly demented performance as his brother Bobby. Michael Biehn gives a very solid performance as Mickey, the Super who lets them all into his bomb shelter and comes to regret it, proving that, post-Aliens, he was an acting treasure that got lost along the way. Throw in Rosanna Arquette and Lauren German (Hawaii Five-O) and you have an excellent mix of new talent and old hands.

SUMMARY: Grim, dark and increasingly unpleasant as the movie goes on. Not for the faint-hearted. However, if you like character drama then you won't go far wrong. Just remember that it is grim.

unpredictable frustrating uncomfortable but good

Author: joe schmoe from United States
22 August 2012

This movie was very good. It was extremely dark and uncomfortable. Warning spoiler!! What frustrated me about this movie was Eva. She should have untied Mickey early on before Bobby and Josh's descent into insanity. Some reviews said that people started going crazy for no reason. These people are stupid. If they payee attention to the movie they'd know that they were all suffering from radiation poisoning. The soldiers let in radioactive dust. Serious symptoms include vomiting, hair falling out, exhaustion, and mental impairment. Couples with stress I could see people acting like this. Also where the soldiers came from and why they took kids. It frustrated me not knowing. I wanted closure not complete mystery.