IMDb > "Miranda" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Miranda"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Miranda" More at IMDbPro »

"Such fun!" Heartwarming comedy.

Author: Growlyted from England
7 October 2010

The trailers terribly undersold this series & I almost missed a real gem. Fortunately "Points of View" reported receiving no negative feedback & showed a very funny end credits sequence. When I watched on Catch Up, I just fell in love with Miranda & her world of insanity. I was unfamiliar with Miranda Hart's stand up, but that didn't matter. Far from being a big ego trip, this is a heartwarming comedy that effectively breaks the 4th wall. Miranda shares her insecurities with the audience and pulls us right in with her speeches & glances to the camera. Patricia Hodge as Miranda's disappointed mother is a scene stealer. Miranda's friends are delightfully insane & Gary is a love. While I'm not usually a fan of slapstick, the falling over does work here. I'm delighted that Series 2 has been commissioned. I wouldn't miss it! 10/10

Uplifting

Author: robin-414 from United Kingdom
23 January 2011

As this show has collected so few reviews on IMDb, I would like to add my two penn'orth, for what it's worth. I caught this by accident, not being an avid TV watcher - and became hooked. I'd heard a version of it on the radio - I'm not sure which came first in the order of things - but that was mildly amusing, although a lot of Miranda's comedy is visual, and when I heard a repeat of the radio version after seeing the TV show, I could see the problems they were up against.

Any flaws I found in the TV series - we armchair critics have to look for flaws in new things - were cancelled out by the fact that I felt better after each episode I watched. Not just amused, and in some cases, very tickled indeed, but uplifted.

All of the characters are attractive and likable - and despite Miranda's self-deprecating gags about being often mistaken for a man, she's a very feminine, and extremely good-looking lady. Her device of engaging directly with her home-viewing audience, via the camera, works well, and adds to her personal appeal.

The comedy chemistry in the scenes with her diminutive friend, Stevie, played by the also extremely good-looking and funny Sarah Hadland, creates some of the best laughs in the show.

Here's a thought: The last series I watched starring Patricia Hodge, who brilliantly plays Miranda's scatty mum in this, was called The Life and Loves of a She-Devil, from about 1985 (not to be confused with the later Hollywood version). In She-Devil, she played the rival of a character portrayed by another very statuesque brunette, Julie T. Wallace. I wonder if this had any influence on the decision to cast her in Miranda?

Perhaps a lot of this show's appeal is in it's almost childlike presentation. The cast, one by one, wave goodbye to us at the end of the episodes, like human Telly Tubbies. Maybe I'm wrong to feel good about that, but, like Miranda's confidences to us, it tickles me to death.

More, please. The world needs Miranda.

Only three reviews?

Author: (khun.krumark@gmail.com) from Thailand
9 December 2010

This first rate slapstick comedy from the delightful Ms Hart now into its' second season. The joy of watching this is that everyone is a likable character even when they are not really supposed to be.

The 'round ups' at the end of each episode where everyone comes together to wave goodbye to the audience are a real treat.

If you are like me and find women simply 'un-funny' (which they are - especially when they are trying to be funny) then put those naughty misgivings aside and watch this show.

The general premise of the show is the 'on again, off again' flirtation between Miranda and the chef who works next door and the insane competitions between Miranda and her mental joke shop manager.

The cast of character actors are truly gifted and add great support to the madcap merriment of each episode.

The best new British TV comedy to hit the small screen in years.

Excellent show!

Author: shedmcnee from France
1 December 2010

Miranda just gets better and better. She's so funny and I love the way she looks into the camera and comments. She's a really funny person. If you want to watch something light hearted and entertaining - this is it. The romance between her and Gary (Tom Ellis - Mr. Gorgeous!) is 'such fun' as Miranda's mother would say. I hope this continues for a long time as it's refreshing to watch. A lot of comedies nowadays are terrible, not remotely funny - this, on the other hand, is full of laughs. The fact that Miranda can laugh at herself is one of the best things about it. I settle down with my family to watch this and it entertains all ages. We were rolling up with laughter at yesterdays episode (series 2 episode 3). I won't say anything to give it away but it was absolutely brilliant!

I have converted my Boyfriend at last!!!

Author: Claire Halter from United Kingdom
25 February 2013

This show always makes me belly laugh and not just once in half an hour like most comedies nowadays. I know its extremely silly stuff, but its got a certain charm that warms my heart and soul with every single episode.

My boyfriend hated this show when it first aired, but I recently made him sit and watch the Christmas special with me and hasn't looked back, even secretly purchasing the entire 3 series on itunes and 'coming out' saying he loves it now! :)

Please say there is series 4, we need more to brighten up our lives, and I could really do with something to laugh at after a bad day at work! Absolutely gem of a show :)

A Real Gem

Author: buddleja from Brisbane, Australia
5 January 2011

Miranda is a stunner, not in the physical sense, but in her comedy show. When you laugh from the first episode you know it must be good. This is Brit comedy at its very best with knowing looks to camera, witty dialogue and slapstick. Her shop reminds me of Black Books - customers take a back seat when it comes to Miranda's odd life. Each episode can stand on its own although the supporting character development is better watched from the first episode. I can't watch an episode of this without having a really good laugh (which is murder on my hernia I can tell you!). I really hope that this series keeps on going for a while as there's no sign of it losing its freshness at this stage. Give it a try.

I love watching Miranda!

Author: marymengyan from United Kingdom
17 December 2010

English is my second language but Miranda always makes me laugh. This programme makes my mood light and happy, even when the weather outside is cold and moody. Everybody should be happy like Miranda, not miserable like other people in England. This programme shows that single women can have fun and enjoy their lives and be independent; the black humour is sometimes cruel (just like in real-life) but also very funny. Miranda is very well-paced, it often feels shorter than it really is because it is so funny and I am having such a good time watching it. The writing is great and the performances are excellent. I always prefer BBC comedies because they are of a very high standard and, obviously, do not come with annoying commercial breaks!

A True Delight

Author: Brandi Lacy
1 August 2012

This show brings back the vaudevillian art of slap stick. It is a true delight that will have you laughing at and cheering for the characters. In a day and age where we find shows exploiting people drinking copious amounts of alcohol and hooking up entertaining, Miranda Hart's show is a true breath of fresh air. It knows exactly what it is: a situation comedy. It is not pretentious. It is a good laugh that makes you happy long after the show ends. It probably will not appeal to the "Hipster" generation that seems to find humor in very little. However, for the rest of you comedy lovers I highly recommend this show.

This show is enjoyable for audiences of all ages. The children will love the physical comedy, young adults can relate to the themes, and baby boomers will enjoy the return to the clean sitcom. If you enjoyed "Bridget Jones's Diary," "The IT Crowd," "Absolutely Fabulous," "Friends," "I Love Lucy," "Three's Company," and or "Lavern and Shirley" you will enjoy this show.

Excellent comedy

Author: pythonman-1 from Belgium
4 August 2010

To tell you the truth, there are not many female comedians that can make me laugh. This is not a sexist opinion, it is just not my type of humor. But I can gladly make an exception for this Miranda Hart-show. Okay, sometimes it is a bit over the top, on a few occasions it is slightly tedious and worn out, but in general this is a very funny and intelligently written situation comedy. I love it when Miranda talks or gestures to the audience, I love the absurd thoughts that go through her head and I love all the characters that surround her, especially Patricia Hodge as Miranda's mother. Of course Hart is a brilliant actress (see also: Not going out) and her self-mockery leaves me in stitches. Although I must confess that I do not look out for a second series, except when there would be an acceptable twist in the concept. There's always the danger that it's going to be dragged out and that we will have seen it all before. But this first series still stands after a second view and it should definitely be in my DVD-collection. Miranda rules!

Utterly brilliant

Author: blom0344 from Netherlands
28 September 2013

'Miranda' manages to succeed with an 'in-your-face' approach where the main lead constantly address her audience and where most of the humor is seen coming miles ahead. This normally would boil down to an utterly tepid experience , but with Miranda Hart the effect is hugely more than the sum of its parts. I'm sure the division is similar to watching the late Tommy Cooper. You will either notice the brilliance or find it utterly boring. I 've no idea why the format of continuously speaking to the audience works within this series. It simply does. All cast members are above average, with Patricia Hodge stealing every scene she is in. A huge factor may be the neck-breaking speed. I like that. Suspect it's simply too much for part of the public..