IMDb > Battle of the Year (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Battle of the Year More at IMDbPro »

Horrible :-)

Author: charon-the-great from California
4 October 2013

I have never been happy to see a movie flop than I am at this one. This movie is the hugest pile of garbage I ever witnessed -- and I sat through Chernobyl Diaries. Don't waste your time watching this crap, let alone your money.

I watched some of it online for the dancing but even that was trash. The acting is poor. Chris Brown and everyone else try so hard to be the "cool guy" or "sensitive jock" archetype, but, instead they look like a bunch of amateurs that turned an already bad script into just another teen drama bullshit story with 90s music, shaky cameras, and scenes that have no substance but push the plot forward. Not to mention the fact that dance movies weren't really ever good, but have been increasingly bad starting from You Got Served. Don't bother with this (not like I expect anyone to, anyway). Hopefully Chris brown will learn from this and stick to was he's known for; making music and beating women...better yet, hopefully he'll decide to leave fame all together. 1/10

Terrible

Author: I_love_planes_1 from Canada
26 September 2013

OK Benson so being a former b-boy myself and a lover of film I decided to check out your movie. I was a big fan of your documentary Planet B- boy and I watched it in theaters and bought it on DVD. I showed it to all my friends to introduce them to b-boying and I went into this movie with high hopes. Sadly Benson you let me down. This movie fails not because of the story, which is crap but its typical dance movie fare so I do not blame you for that. No one goes to see kung fu movies for the story they are there for the fighting and the same can be said for dance movies. Sure there were a few things in the script that where a bit insulting, you made all the b-boys act like children fighting over girls and oohing and awing over a women choreographer. If these guys were teenagers it would make sense, but they are grown men and I would hope they wouldn't act like that in real life. However the real failings lye with the dance scenes. I don't know what you did Benson but I was in Montipellier for Battle of the year back in 2011 when you guys filmed this movie and what I saw live was 50 times better than what you put on screen. You needed to hire a new editor first of all. Whenever you had dancing on screen you seemed more focused on showing the crowd, the reactions of the b-boys and the other main characters than on the dancing itself. It was so choppy and jumpy that by the time it went back the dancing I got so disoriented I could not tell what was going on (It amounted to dance shaky cam and as a movie fan you know the world wide audience has lost interest in that even in action movies). If you have been reading b-boy message boards you ought to know that for years we have been complaining about live b- boy feeds of events because they do the exact same thing as your movie does, not focus on the dance. You did the same thing in planet b-boy but I simply saw that as you having to cram in 5, 6 min performances and 2, 20 min battles into an hour and half documentary. It seemed you were trying to use the editing to move the audience instead of letting the dance do it on its own. Also I did not understand why you felt it necessary to have two hosts commentating over the last battles and basically telling us "hey this is cool", did you feel the audience wouldn't understand that an air flair looked cool? I know you probably needed to get a lot of difference sponsors to get this movie made so I will not call you out on the product placement because I understand. But having someone from MTV tell the audience how they should be reacting is just plain dumb, I didn't see any commentators in You Got Served, they just showed the final dance. Speaking of the final dance that's where I gave up completely on your movie. The battle I saw in France was amazing, it was the first time I had seen a mock movie battle that felt like a real battle. You also did the battle to Big Daddy Kane's – Wrath of Kane which wasn't in the movie! If you couldn't get the rights to the song fine, they why not get another song, heck you used The Roots – Boom in one of the scenes why not save that for the final battle. Instead what we got was some generic orchestral score and so you could not see the b-boys actually dancing to song or hitting beats. We just got a generic who can do the cooler moves which ended in a flipping battle?.................Lame, for all the talk in the movie that this is an art form and a dance the general audience comes out of the movie going "I like the part when they did those back flips and when that Korean guy put his leg behind his head" instead of saying "wow I really liked it when rebel (casper) hit those beats" WHICH HE DID IN THE REAL BATTLE. Maybe you do love b-boying Benson but your movie does not show that. It shows a disinterred direction more focused telling the audience that they should find this cool rather than just showing the dance as is and having them either accepting it or not. I look forward to your next movie, a time period highschool drama in Korea about kids in the 80's might be more what you're suited for. I know I won't get your frenetic editing for one thing at least. You have my money for your next movie and you are a much more successful person than I will ever be, but I simply could not sit here and not say anything about your movie. Nothing but the best for your future, Luka (B-Boy Architect)

Such a Disappointment

Author: blue_expectation from Turkey
9 November 2013

This is my first review to IMDb, all the time I had thought that my first one would be about whether an amazing movie or the worst. And beyond any doubt, this is one of the worsts I've ever watched. I've been waiting for a long time to watch this movie and still can't believe it was such a terrible movie. I am as sick as a parrot. It was waste of time, literally it was. I wanted to watch this movie especially for Josh Holloway but even he has no special acting. There is nothing special about this movie at all, may be except the results of the competition but it was not enough. Acting was not good, dancing was bad and the music was not good too.

It was completely a disappointment for me. I gave 3 points, just because I thought that at least I watched it from the beginning to the end. I try not to see the glass as half empty.

To sum up, if you really don't want to waste your time, don't watch this movie guys.

Disappointing and Predictable Collection of Clichés

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
23 January 2014

The producer Dante Graham (Laz Alonso) promotes a group of b-boys expecting to bring the Battle of the Year Trophy back to the USA that have not won it in fifteen years. He hires his friend and former basketball couch Jason Blake (Josh Holloway) that grieves the loss of his wife and son to prepare his team. Blake fires the whole team since they do not have motivation and decides to select a new group of dancers under the nickname of Dream Team. He also hires the youngster Franklyn (Josh Peck) and the choreographer of break-dance Stacy (Lotz Caity) to help him. Along the months, Blake tries to implement teamwork and works hard with the group. In the competition in France, he has a great surprise.

"Battle of the Year" is a disappointing and predictable collection of clichés. It is amazing how many times this storyline has been used in different environments and sports ("decadent couch hires a team of losers that in the end surprises in a competition") with a corny message in the end. Fans of break-dance and hip-hop may enjoy a little more but this movie is terrible. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil): "A Batalha do Ano" ("Battle of the Year")

Create your own opinion

Author: mmbrown448 from United States
10 January 2014

I have a belief that every movie should be watched at least once. After seeing some reviews throughout multiple sites that this movie was not that great, and just gave terrible reviews I went out and rented from Redbox to see. I was at the edge of my seat, waiting to see what happen next. Enjoyed the story, enjoyed the cast. It wasn't your typical dance movie, "You got serve" or "Step up" it took what was there and expanded with an additional idea, let's make a new Dream Crew with the best of the best. This movie deserves to be watched and given the chance.

On a side not, some reviews complained about Chris Brown and his acting in this movie, well he did that in this movie by acting. If his personal character is to be attack, I believe that that is a different review, the overall moral of a lot of people that get TV time should be in check. I don't know Chris Brown personally but he is a persona, a entertainer and everything that he is paid to do is that.

Just give it a chance and make your own opinion

Thanks

A B-Boy Classic

Author: Gary Burn from United States
13 December 2013

I honestly don't understand all what movie people were watching that gave this such low reviews. I saw the previews and said I wasn't even going to bother watching. My daughter (9) however is really into dancing and for movie night I picked this. The movie stars off poorly with music that doesn't really fit, but about 25mins in I started to enjoy it. Now that sounds worst than it really is because it's not that nothing is happening for 25mins, but I just expected more battle scenes in the beginning. Anyhow I don't want to spoil the movie. If you are a fan of breaking in anyway you WILL enjoy this movie. If you're looking for a cinematic experience well please go watch something that aims to captivate you with the filming process. This is a B-Boy movie and delivers moves that many people have never seen, and for that it at least deserves credit for bringing something new to the dance movie genre.

"Change how you think, change your life"

Author: eatakmakova from Russia
1 January 2014

Here we have another dance movie. At first, it seems movies of such genre have exhausted and that there is nothing else to tell about. You expect the story will repeat: there is a huge and important dance event with a fabulous sum of money as a main prize and that can change dancers' life for ever, on the one hand, and there is a dance crew desiring to win this event, on the other hand. Yes, the story is like this, but this time the director have added some moral notions that made this movie acquire some deeper sense and look more interesting and intriguing. Battle of the year is an international b-boying competition where dance crews from all over the world try to get to and get the first place. The point is that for the last 15 years America, homeland of break dance, has not taken any first place. One of the former b-boy dancers (Dante Graham played by Laz Alonso) decides to change this situation. He finds a couch (Couch Blake performed by Josh Holloway) and together they create Dream Team. Couch's main goal is not only to train the guys to win the competition, but his first and principal idea is to make them a team, some kind of dance family where everybody supports each other and ready stand for everyone who is in this crew. Another subtext of this film is "change how you think, change your life". The read line of Battle of the year is that your reality is in your head: you get everything you think about. And the same is about success. If you think about it and act like a successful person, you definitely will get this. And you decide what you put into your head. The movie shows us how their couch tries to change not only his reality, but the guys' one too and how he changes their idea about friendship and other values. At the same time, Blake trains them to be excellent dancers, he doesn't forget about the main purpose why he was hired to train this team. Of course, there are great dance moments, the competition itself is just insane. And it is interesting to see the scale of similar events and different dance techniques. So, if you are a big fan of dancing or dance movies or if you just want to see Chris Brown, his acting, go and watch this movie. By the way, the end is pretty unexpected. I guess very soon we will see the second part of this film.

Really Disappointing

Author: kao92320 from United States
22 November 2013

There are three key factors to every dance movie: the dancers, the choreography, and the music. They don't all have to be fantastic to make a great movie. If two of them are exception the third isn't as important. In this movie the dancers seemed like they had potential, but didn't show any results. The choreography seemed good at first, but ended up being more of a flop. So, the last hope was the music. Yeah, it failed. Overall this movie had great potential to be great, but it was SO focused on the STORY and NOT the DANCING that it basically ruined the whole experience.

I have some suggestions for the future. DON'T throw out your ace without a really good follow up. Not only did you lose your ace, but you lost the game. Seriously? Did you think that would excite people? It was like watching failure over and over again. Its simple people enjoy hope. You just crushed it like in so many ways in this film I lost count and didn't even give a glimmer of it till like the very end and by then it was so dead there was no resurrecting it. Don't focus on the story. This is a DANCE movie. Put in some really nice dance scenes. Not just these super-fast back and forth snippets of WHAT? Also, the music. It's supposed to drive the scene. Not be background noise. DRIVE a scene. Music has the power to move people's hearts. Use it to your advantage. Especially in all out dance scenes. You waiting WAY too long to switch songs and mix it up. The worst I have to say was that orchestrated song. Not because of the genre, but because you didn't fully put it to use. You really didn't draw it out then rev it up like BAM in your face. It was more like oh, elevator music. Oh the elevator music got a little louder how nice. I hope if you do work on another dance movie it'll go a little more smoothly than this one. Good luck.

excellent break dancing movie

Author: cyn mona from Brooklyn, NY
17 May 2014

If you like dance movies, especially break dancing, you will love this movie.

I know the critics gave it bad reviews, but it's still a lot of fun and very entertaining (and inspiring if you are a dancer).

I thought the acting was pretty good overall, especially the coach and assistant coach.

The dancers/actors did a phenomenal job and all the dance scenes were incredible.

The last scenes during the BATTLE were fantastic. I really enjoyed watching the U.S. battle South Korea. Excellent!

A controversy

Author: Reyna_30 from United Kingdom
4 July 2014

The trailer seemed to be filled with action, fun and well, a winding journey to victory! However, the film was a disappointed in some aspects and not in others. The plot itself was solid and quite interesting yet predictable and boring at the same time. The dance movie was a great disappointment compared to the legendary Street Dance and Step up films. With Chris brown playing the role of 'Rooster', it was obvious something bad was going to happen (like an injury) and was quite boring, to be honest. On the other hand though, I think 'Coach' and Josh Peck, who played "Franklyn with a 'y'' did a cracking job in this film! The dancers were alright but Step up will always be 10x better. Furthermore, there was way too much dancing which I personally would describe as just moving around the place with a few moon walking skills. I'm not sure if this film went down well with others, but I think that it dragged on forever! Over 168 minutes… really? My concentration span doesn't even last for two minutes, let alone over 2 and a half hours of pure boredom and the monotonous drone of sulking b-boys! I guess the views on this film is controversial depending on your taste in films. Overall, it was okay! That's all! Watch the film and make up your own mind!