IMDb > Smitty (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Smitty More at IMDbPro »

Plays by the Rules, But Still a Decent Coming-of-age Story

Author: Troye Dchgl from Hong Kong
28 April 2012

"Smitty" is the typical kind of movie that fits perfectly in the general formula of movies. It is a family movie that combines the elements of tales about animals and coming-of-age themes. It is a movie that plays it safe but still manages to provide viewers with a pleasant experience and a lesson to learn.

Brandon Tyler Russell plays Ben, a 13-year-old teenager who under certain circumstances has to move in with his grandfather whom he has never met before in his life. In the countryside, amid a small town, farms and beautiful landscapes, among a number of interesting characters, Ben begins to learn about the past of the relationship between his grandfather and his mother, and comes to understand people and himself better.

He later meets his dog, adopted from a lost or abandoned animal shelter, and also Smitty, a mid-aged store-owner who befriends him and whose guitar appeals to him. Relationships between characters are clearly shown, and storytelling techniques are simple but effective. Its simplicity along with the plot pull the audience into the feelings in the tale, which include family relationships, human-animal relationships, growing up and a taste of life in the farms.

Overall, it is a great film for a whole family to sit down and watch on a weekend. The story is simple, moving and carries certain messages.

A film the entire family can enjoy together!

Author: Tracy Martin from United States
27 May 2012

I really feel there is something for each member of the family to enjoy in this film. I think kids, parents and grandparents could all sit down and watch this film together without fearing that they will see anything embarrassing or inappropriate. My biggest compliment to the filmmakers is that it does not talk down to the audience. I have a big problem with movies and TV shows that talk down to kids. This film respects the child star and the children that are watching. Brandon Tyler Russell gives a very truthful and honest performance that moved me. I think all the relationships in the film will appeal to one member or another in your family. It was nice to see the familiar talented faces of actors including Mira Sorvino, Louis Gossett Jr and Peter Fonda. If you are a dog lover that is an added incentive for you to watch this film!

So much potential

Author: irishstick from Canada
1 October 2014

Looking at the cast, I had high hopes for this film, but after watching it -- I was sorely disappointed. The story had potential, the cast was solid, but I think the director may want to consider a new career. The timing for emotional tension and release was totally missing - that is all the director.

Trying to build up antagonistic elements in this film was another weak point, which falls on the writer. Truth be told I disliked our protagonist a lot more than the villains in this film.

I would've loved to sit in on the meeting that saw this film funded, because obviously they saw something that wasn't present for the final cut.

I hope the young star's career isn't affected by the poor directing in this film.

Watch at your own risk (of dozing off).