IMDb > Magnetic Rose (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Magnetic Rose More at IMDbPro »Kanojo no omoide (original title)

very well done horror animation

Author: chaosbaron from United States
5 March 2010

I am usually not a big fan of anime, in fact for the most part I am generally adverse to it. I ended up seeing clips of this video during a music remix on youtube and decided to check it out because it seemed to have common themes I like. The setting is a abandoned space craft drifting aimlessly that has been detected by a salvage crew. We follow two of the primary characters as they explore a very haunted house like landscape that constantly morphs from decrepit and aging to beautiful and scenic as they follow a mysterious woman in red. The story/plot was rather good for a short film being executed at a good pace and not over stuffing itself or falling short. The artwork and animation was very well done creating a wonderfully spooky atmosphere with the music supplementing it perfectly. If you are not a huge fan of anime, but enjoy horror films and good artwork this might be worth looking at. If you are a anime horror junkie you should really not pass this one up.

Great old school sci-fi

Author: yuehans
16 April 2014

Magnetic Rose has the air of a science fiction classic about it. The plot starts out simple : a space waste collection crew receive a mysterious SOS signal, and set out to attempt a rescue mission. But what they discover exceeds their wildest expectations, and the operation spirals out of control.

The short's ambiance is allegedly inspired by Ridley Scott's Alien, and the story by Katsuhiro Ohtomo is reminiscent of other SF classics when it approaches the psychology of dreams (Solyaris) and the dangers of AI (2001), but it also approaches the subject of virtual reality in a unique and interesting way. This might seem like an odd mish-mash, but in the end it all fits together perfectly.

The thick and menacing ambiance in this short is helped by beautiful, fluid animation of a rare caliber and an excellent soundtrack that deftly combines Madame Butterfly (a story element) with electronic ambiances and its own instrumental score. Once again, Yoko Kanno delivers a masterful composition.

I'm normally not a fan of Japanese animation, but this soars above the anime landscape in terms of quality and attention to detail. In fact, after having re-watched it, it's become a favorite of mine in the realm of SF. Magnetic Rose is published as part of the compilation "Memories", but I preferred to review it by itself.

Some great music, the rest is only okay

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
9 September 2015

"Kanojo no omoide" is a Japanese science fiction animated movie from 20 years ago. A couple astronauts hear strange singing from a place they considered deserted. So they go on a journey to find out who or what is the reason for this strange occurrence. The director here is Kôji Morimoto, who is probably a name to animation fans these days as he also worked on a segment of the Animatrix movie. However, I must say that even if I liked the animation in here, I cannot say that i found the story too interesting. The whole tragedy plot in terms of love, fatherhood etc. was a bit over the top the longer the film went and it was also some weird contrast to the horror elements in here. All in all, I can recommend this film only for the beautiful music used in several parts. I think it would not have been the worst decision to keep this at 30 minutes max instead of 45. Not recommended.