IMDb > "Fairy Tail" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Fairy Tail"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Fairy Tail" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Love This Series!

Author: meddmalyd from Kentucky, US
27 December 2011

I have been a long time anime fan, but somehow this little gem of a show managed to upstage everything to quickly become my favorite. It has it all, great characters, roll on the floor humor, and a fantastic production level. It starts out a tad bit slowly as each of the main characters are introduced, but once it gets going it really takes off.

My favorite aspect of the series is that unlike in similar long-running series, the characters actually grow and change from the events in the past. Once a bridge is complete, it doesn't disappear to never be spoken of again, it leaves an impact on the characters and world. In part because of this, but also just because they are just extremely well thought out and likable, the characters are realistic and easily relatable. This series is a lot of fun, but there are also some real tearjerkers when back-stories start getting revealed. Lets just say that no one in the guild has exactly had an easy time of it.

This series is very high energy, and has some of the best action scenes around. It's got something for everyone and seems to be perfectly set up to take the anime mantle of next big thing.

Best Show Ever!!!!!!!!!

Author: Sylarfan626 from United States
15 May 2012

Fairy Tail is the Greatest show I have Ever seen Ever! It is SOOOOOO Excellent! Words cant describe it! It has Everything! There is something in this show for Everybody! Humor, Action, Drama, Romance, Magic, Shocking Twists, Great Animation, Beautiful Music, and Much Much more! This show has changed my life and I absolutely adore it! It makes me cry every other episode! Thats how touching it is! I admire that no matter what odds they are up against, the characters of Fairy Tail never give up on their friends ever! And that level of dedication to each other is just Plain Amazing! The fight scenes are Always Spectacularly Epic! The characters are all so Freakin Awesome and Intensely Lovable! There is not one character I dislike in this show, I just find myself loving everybody! I highly recommend that everybody on this planet watch Fairy Tail! You Will not regret it!

A great anime to watch!

Author: Yirone from Belgium
19 March 2011

In a world where magic is commonly used and sold, a team of guild members takes on various missions to earn enough money to pay the rent. Among them are Lucy, a celestial spirit mage, Natsu, a fire dragon slayer, and Happy, a blue winged cat.

As opposed to others, I first watched the anime and only after I became interested I started reading the manga as well. And I have to say, this is one of the best series I have seen in years.

The animation and music are great, the plot gets really awesome (especially around the tower of paradise arc), and the humor is just the best! I guarantee that this show will make you laugh, especially the filler tends to be hilarious. On top of that it has several well worked out characters, each one with a different back story yet to be explored.

This show has the potential to get really big, and if I had to advise anyone a good anime to watch, this would be one.

An entertaining series with good development and potential

Author: kokojones from United States
11 July 2012

I am a watcher of many animes, and the way I can tell how good or entertaining a series is is how it captures me in the first few episodes. Fairy Tail manages to do exactly that. Sure there are going to be a few weak points and continuity within the story, but there are plenty of strong points too. A good and bad note for the series is how there are so many characters within; it can be good because some characters you'll connect with better then others, but that is also a bad thing since it divides much needed attention to what is relevant at the moment, however Hiro Mashima handles it quite well. The score, done by Yasuharu Takanashi, does well in delivery the tones from intense to sad to flat out silly (and in many ways, saves the show in its weak moments).

Yes there are fillers, but not as many as other ongoing Shounen series such as Naruto or One Piece, and Fairy Tail moves at a quicker pace then both and the fillers for the most part are stand alone episodes in which the animators and studio story writers have a ball doing. The humor is very silly and childish, which is actually a plus I think.

It's definitely not the best series out there, but it has a lot of potential. It is a good solid series that I strongly recommend.

Mediocre At Best.

Author: Alexandrspyr from Greece
26 January 2014

Fairy Tail is definitely one of the most popular shounen anime and if you are thinking of watching it based on this fact alone then I encourage you to read some reviews first. What can be said about the story? Nothing really special, a girl named Lucy wants to become a wizard in a famous guild and after she meets Natsu one of its members she manages to join him and thus they form a team and start on taking missions and embark on journeys.The story progresses in arcs with each arc being connected nicely with the next one and the transition between them feels smooth and logical. The atmosphere and the nature of each arc generally remain the same lighthearted and cheerful vibe following the vibe of the anime on its whole except for some moments and scenes which need to be dark to show the contradiction between good and evil. Although the story of each individual arc can be described as clich you could at least expect the execution to be masterful for a popular anime like this, right? No they decided to s**t all over the place with the word mediocrity, there are some glimpses of good storytelling and directing in some arcs but this is exactly what they are, glimpses.Individual elements of each arc are interesting but the story itself is unoriginal although how it's told and executed is what counts the most and this show had the potential to be great but they vomited it all out to appeal to the general public and/or their target group, if this was their purpose than they nailed it. Linear,repetitive and predictable storytelling and the use of generic guidelines as in any typical shounen of this type leave no room for the element of surprise for some rare plot twists that might exist. Generally the arcs are short and leave no room for good development and the pace of each arc is out of place. I felt that some arcs needed faster pace but others slower, go figure. Some episodes are uneventful with no action and on top of that no story or character development of any kind. Dialogues are mediocre and superficial for the most part but there are comedic moments where combined with sound and animation made me actually laugh hard. The blend of action, comedy and drama is mediocre and as I already mentioned "Oh the potential!!!!". Fairy Tail's characters is another disappointing fact. We are introduced to a large cast of characters who are one dimensional and static. Main characters are flat and underdeveloped. I understand that combined with short arcs there isn't much room left to develop so many of them but they could at least try. Every stereotype of this genre can be found in this series, from the typical hotheaded male protagonist to the evil villain who becomes good and changes sides and the fact that most of them remain the same throughout the series makes this show even more predictable. It's impossible to be caught by surprise when you expect for them to act based on their generic stereotype and they act exactly like that in any given situation. The villains of the show are equally as underdeveloped as the main characters The last disappointing fact I want to mention is the fighting scenes. Battle system is your typical "raw strength+power ups wins" concept. Almost no amount of thought or originality can be traced anywhere. Some abilities are cool but that's it. The battles are won by overpowering the enemy and no strategical thinking is involved. Superficial and annoyingly tiring dialogs and monologues which ruin the pace of the story take place in every fight scene and I mean literally in EVERY fight scene. I know that concepts like friendship and comradeship are important don't misunderstand me but not when they are in excess and feel like they try to nail it in my brain with a drill and on top of that at the expense of the story. Power levels are confusing.There are no trainings but main characters manage to win enemies they shouldn't be able to win like ever. Oh yea I forgot the power of friendship and nakamas!!! Silly me. Generally this whole thing can be summed up in 6 steps. Step 1: A strong enemy appears. MC's are beaten up by the enemy. Step 2: MC's yell about friendship and the power of nakamas. Step 3: They power up emotionally and physically by the power of friendship and random stuff. Step 4: MC's overpower the villain. Step 5: No training of any kind whatsoever. Step 6: New arc. Go to step 1. When an anime can be summed up like this than in my books this is not good at all. Animation is top notch and very consistent, facial expressions are distinct and well portrayed. As for the sound it's the most positive thing of this show. It's quite brilliant and fits well to every scene and arc of this show. Voice actors are for the most part all great. All in all fairy tail generally has a vibe of positivity and lightheartedness. If you like characters that seem cool, raw power, mc's that overpower their enemies who rely on their friends and protect each other, if you like good animation with awesome soundtracks mixed perfectly to every scene, if you liked something like D-Gray Man or Bleach than you should watch this show and I am sure you will enjoy it very much.I definitely recommend this to children as well. But if you are an experienced anime viewer or if you like intelligence, good story,plot and character development if you like insane plot twists and strategic battle scenes with complex fighting systems or if you want to watch something of this genre but don't have much time than don't waste it on this and watch something like Hunter x Hunter or Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

One of the best animes ever! Can't wait - season 5!!

Author: Unnie from Canada
11 May 2013

Quick review:

It's comedy, drama, action, some romance, all in one. The great thing about Fairy Tail is that it contains not as much fillers as other shows. There are so many twists to this show it's always exciting. Though, in season 3, I did feel they slacked off a bit. No surprise because none of season 3 was in the manga so basically it was a big filler tied in with the main story line I suppose. When it got to the games arc it really picked up again. And that last episode (175) is a much watch. I read the manga, you should too if you want to know what happens next. If they follow the manga it's going to be one hell of a season 5.

Yea so, great show, pretty good animation, and the soundtrack is probably the best out of all the animes I've watched.

One of The Best Anime I ever see

Author: Denny Kurniawan from Indonesia
28 May 2013

Fairy Tail, from first i see the anime ; i got first to love the art, design and music team for Fairy Tail and beyond some episodes i realized i got more love to this anime which sometimes make me cry, happy or boring mixed into one.

Storywise can be predict, but somehow Hiro Mashima could steering people for always watch even some scene are totally boring. Fairy Tail combined many elements to Fairy Tail is it succeeded.

Deeper story, more character to introduce, expand the world. This concept would make Fairy Tail biggest Anime. This series indeed so much very good storyline. I've been see tons of anime, but this one. I can put it into rank 2 and this anime is very good to miss, watch it !!

it was nice

Author: Francisco Pessoa from PT
25 April 2015

A very entertainment anime...

Exceptional fight scenes and a good animation..

I'm 21, and i have to say that there is a potential here... until... until like ep 200.. after that episode. there was dramatically changes that i personally dislike... from hard-core fights, story, suffering, suspense, ambition, and some teenager stuffs turned into an hentai cartoon only of teenager stuffs.. yes... the quality is gone

i miss the terrible 'i hate you' eyes, the magic circles (not that important), the drama and emotion to know what will happen now it's just: "(BOOBS: )BIG BIG BIG BIG.. small" and every fight is to show lucy's unreal body

1-200-> the best, cant even wait a minute 200-230 -> i only see 1 minute..

This is just my opinion

Author: newcolours779
8 July 2015

Believe me when I say that I do not hate anime. Dragonball Z, Naruto and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood are all anime that I like. And Fairy Tail steals from almost every one of them. The character's are bland, Natsu is a copy of Goku and Naruto and the women are just a Boobs with arms and legs. Every "comedic" moment I shook my head, while every moment I was supposed to rooting for the good guys I laughing my head off. The story is full of too many climaxes and not enough tension, every second episode was an epic moment, which made me not care for the character's. I mean I rooted more for Gajeel and Levy more than Natsu or Lucy. However when there are good parts in this show, they really good, like the introduction of Gildart. And the music is also really, really good.

Feels a tad clichéd in terms of shonen anime, but is rather enjoyable

Author: natemans from United States
12 June 2016

Overall, Fairy Tail is a pretty good series even if I find it clichéd in terms of other shonen anime (for those unfamiliar, its a term used for anime based on manga and some of these anime do have a familiar formula.) The story is about Lucy Heartfilia, a girl who is looking to join the legendary wizard guild known as Fairy Tail. She runs into a fire wizard for the guild Natsu Dragneel and his friend Happy, become friends and go on missions to get paid. Along the way, we meet other characters such as Natsu's icy rival Gray, the fierce warrior knight Erza, etc. Its animation is pretty good from a certain perspective, the voice cast is pretty good despite a few hiccups here and there, the writing is good despite some problems in some areas and it takes a while to get its footing just right. So yeah, pretty good series. I recommend it.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]