Cartel War (2010) Poster

Unknown cast, Surprisingly good performances, and almost solid story/plot
MickyFin4 December 2012
I first heard about the making of this film back in 2009, and was under the impression it was going to be yet another low budget, displeasing film based on the overkilled already filmed stories of drug lords, but how wrong was I?

OK, there are plot holes, and a mismatch of soundtrack, and sound effects, but bloody hell, this film actually exceeded my expectations personally.

What I cannot understand is why are there so many talented actors, and actresses in this film that I have not seen or heard of before? There are also veteran actors, and actresses cast in this film who are equally as impressive, many, outstanding performances.

How can a film like this go under the radar for so long, and why was there such a long time between the film being shot, and then reaching DVD? Almost three years!

One has to wonder if there were legal things going on, or if it were a case of Hollywood trying to restrict the producers, writers etc.

If anyone from the film, be it, writer, actor, actress, director, who wishes to shed more light on these questions above, please feel free to contact me, or post a reply here. It would be greatly appreciated.

9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Say cheese-y
Lx Hrcrt4 April 2010
Watched this movie at a recent film fest, I came into it with some decent expectations. I was not blown away. The movie was alright for a lower budget film, so I hope they didn't spend a lot on it. The special effects weren't too bad, but the sound effects were bad. The same gunshot sound effects over and over drowned out everything else. A lot of the time the background noise was way too loud, sometimes I couldn't hear what was being said. A couple of times I could hear the actors digesting... I think they put mic's in their mouths. During tense parts, the camera was shaky, just to make sure the audience understood it was supposed to be tense. The movie had flashy cars, flashy babes, flashy clothes, cheesy lines, cheesy scenes, and follows detectives around, no not CSI: Miami, Disrupt/Dismantle. The only difference between these guys and real police is that these guys are much bigger rebels, yeah we wear leather jackets, we do what we want, we drink on the job etc etc. I was glad when it was free, but then because it was so long I had to pay for parking, not worth it.
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not worth watching unless your very stuck for something
Francis Craven5 December 2012
This film is a low budget fairly standard cops vs drug dealers. The cops being the generally decent type who are a bit rough but do what it takes to get the job done. While driving sports cars, wearing leather jackets with shades and torn jean. Main cop lives for his job and has nothing else. The bad guys are south American very rich drug dealing totally evil no redeeming features kill people for the slightest mistake kind. While living in big houses, driving sports cars and wearing expensive shirts or no shirts at all. With lots of women in bikini's on top and a evil/twisted sister thrown in for good measure. This film was made with a low budget and I want to like it because the actors appeared to be trying hard and I felt they cared. However it's hard to do that when they blow all the budget on fast cars and use every chance they can to put nipples on the screen. They have a strip club scene. I cannot recommend this film but I did feel slightly up beat by the end so I gave it a 5 instead of a 4. The current average of 4.4 is about right.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cheap, scuzzy, and stupid
Leofwine_draca14 February 2018
CARTEL WAR Is one of the worst 'mainstream' films I've seen in a while and I'm surprised it made it to television here in the UK given that the budget is so obviously low. It's the usual run-around tale of drug gangs, criminals, and rivals battling it out to the death whl the cops look on helplessly. The film is notable for being very cheap and scuzzy-looking, with bad acting and camerawork that seems designed to give you a headache. It's obviously trying to be mean and gritty like a David Ayer film but the end result is anything but stylish. The characters are all unlikeable, the plot seems to go on and on forever, and the endless focus on fallen women and 'erotic' scenes is merely tiresome.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not my taste, but it has its good qualities
vchimpanzee16 June 2014
It's not a distinctive cop movie. An elite team is trying to bring down a very violent drug dealer in Los Angeles, and the lead cop is constantly being told he is going against the rules. The other cops also seem rebellious and won't be bothered with such details as rules. There is lots of violence. A cop gets killed.

Still, I saw some worthwhile acting performances. Jack Lucarelli will not back down and he's always determined to get what he wants.

Dwight Hicks is the top cop (I don't think he's the chief but he's someone important) who is constantly after Lucarelli's character to start playing by the rules or else.

Mercedes Catalina is not only beautiful but talented, and she's one of the crooks. She runs a legitimate business but she is involved somehow with the drug operation, and looks good in a swimsuit while killing people. Her brother Antonio also seems to have a legitimate business but he's one of the top bad guys.

And there are plenty of pretty girls, in the strip club and elsewhere.

Occasionally there is comedy. I particularly liked the informant who wouldn't give any information for $20 but was willing when he got $100.

Then there is the scene where the small-time dealer is at again. "Five-O!" Shouts a kid. This was just funny.

This isn't my kind of movie, but it might be yours.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this