Grabbers (2012) Poster

(2012)

77 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Sober entertainment
kosmasp19 September 2012
You have to love a movie that plays with stereotypes and uses them for the plot. Of course you could call this twist in the plot convenient, but that would take the fun out of it. Plus it does really feel genuine in the movie. Even the romantic aspect of it does work (which is even crazier than the story of the movie itself).

The movie is called Grabbers for a reason. And the reason will be revealed pretty early on. Of course the twist that I mention will take some time until it is discovered by the characters, but most people who watched it did realize it much earlier (could be that it was in the description of the movie, since I haven't read it, I couldn't tell you though). A really fun light little comedy, that is worth your time
41 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Comedy and Horror Conspire on a Small Irish Island
Alison4 August 2012
Workaholic Garda officer Lisa Nolan (Ruth Bradley) takes a 2-week assignment on the small island of Erin while the town's sergeant is on vacation; she immediately runs across (and afoul of) fellow Garda Ciaran O'Shea (Richard Coyle), who both starts and ends his days with booze, a lot of it. Your typical drunken Irish cop, in fact. They are not destined to get along, but when bloodsucking aliens crash-land in the nearby ocean and start devouring the townspeople, Lisa and Ciaran have to work together to save the community. Teaming up with the English scientist, Dr. Adam Smith (Russell Tovey), and with Paddy Barrett (Lalor Roddy), one of the more sloshed senior citizens of the island, they make the stunning discovery that human blood, steeped in alcohol, is toxic to the bloodsucking creatures. A big storm is coming, and the Coast Guard can't come to the rescue; instead, it's up to our intrepid heroes to convince all the townsfolk that getting, and remaining, drunk for the whole night is a matter of life and death - literally.

One might bristle at the stereotype of the drunken Irishman (and woman), but when it's the Irish telling the stories on themselves, it's another matter altogether. This is a very funny movie, and even the bloodsucking creatures grabbing people and devouring them isn't gross, it's just kinda yucky. There were a few times when I jumped at an unexpected occurrence, which is always good in a monster movie, but there were a lot of times when I was laughing a lot too. Not to mention cheering from time to time....The leads are all terrific; I only know Tovey's work (from the excellent UK television series, "Being Human"), but I would make a point of looking out for more of Richard Coyle and Ruth Bradley, both of whom I liked a lot. My one quibble is that sometimes it was hard to understand what a character was saying, especially once they were all drunk as lords and slurring their words all over the place, but that's quite minor really, as the gist of the dialogue always came through. Definitely worth seeing, especially with a FantAsia crowd in Montreal!
51 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Never Mind The Graboids Here's The Grabbers.
Spikeopath11 August 2014
Grabbers directed by Jon Wright and written by Kevin Lehane. It stars Richard Coyle, Ruth Bradley, Russell Tovey and Lalor Roddy. Music is by Christian Henson and cinematography by Trevor Forrest.

On a remote Irish island something creature like is stirring, new Garda partners Ciaran O'Shea and Lisa Nolan are about to become the island's only hope for survival…

Great great fun, a play on Tremors, itself a play/homage to the creature features of the 1950s, Grabbers has all the fun schlocky staples in place, but crucially it also has its own identity. The islanders are a bunch of eccentric types and the two Garda protagonists are polar opposites but not cliché ridden, their chemistry strong as they play off of each other for joyous rewards. The creature effects are impressive for a modestly budgeted production such as this, and the narrative contains strength through ingenuity of plot developments and a knowing sense of playing up stereotypes. Lovely photography as well! Score! 8/10
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Well balanced - Drink it up
Jack Vance4 April 2014
I watched this movie expecting it to be a comedy. It is, but to a lesser extent than I was led to believe. Don't get me wrong, it has its share of humor, but if you take out the comedic elements, the film really stands up as a good low budget creature feature. Pleasantly surprising!

A simple script, no Oscar winning performances or intense dialog, but no over baked hams here either - except maybe in one or two spots where it's done intentionally for humor. The male and female leads were exceptional and they played their roles just right. They were endearing. The assortment of characters making up the island folk were spot on and I wanted to pop on down to the pub and buy them a round or two.

Although Grabbers borrows elements from a number of classic films in the genre, it never seems tired or cliché. I think that's due to it's understated nature and the originality it does have. Anything familiar is presented with respect and with it's own style.

A big nod to the writer and director on this one. Getting the balance this finely turned between comedy and horror isn't easy. American Werewolf in London had that, but not many others. I don't quite think this compares with that classic, but it's got that certain 'something' that will grab you.

Low budget is where you'll find the gems in this genre and Grabbers is top notch. A perfectly balanced, thoroughly enjoyable movie. If you like the genre, don't miss it.
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Will 'Grabbers' grab you? Yes!
Ben_Horror14 August 2012
When one thinks of creature features, you generally associate them with small towns situated somewhere in the American heartland: some rural place where a handful of locals must fend off/barricade themselves against some rampaging monstrosity. Generally, you don't usually tend to associate 'monster on the loose' movies with Ireland… That is until now: because that's exactly what you've got here: a monster flick that while not actually set in Ireland, is actually located on one of its many small islands - 'Erin Island' to be precise. Garda Ciarán O'Shea (Richard Coyle) - Garda is what Irish police officers are called, by the way – and his colleague look after all things law related on Erin Island. When his colleague goes on holiday, rookie Garda Lisa Nolan (Ruth Bradley) is sent from the mainland to replace him for two weeks.

The only problem is her arrival coincides with something that has fallen to earth from space, which also contains a semi aquatic form of alien life. This strange creature then goes on the offensive and proceeds to snack on all the locals – drinking their blood. It's up to the small local police contingent of O' Shea and the rookie Nolan to figure out that the creature needs rain to move on land. The only problem is, with a bad storm coming in that will completely isolate them and the locals on the island, the outlook is not good; but somehow they discover a somewhat unorthodox way of protecting them and everyone against the creature – sort of. Lots of inventive high jinks and monster attacks ensue along with enough blarney and banter to make your head spin.

It is fair to say that the director and/or writer may have had one too many themselves when they dreamed up this concept. Admittedly, with a title like that, you're not going to know what you're getting yourself into. While it isn't exactly a comedy, it isn't completely a horror movie either. You get a mixture – for every one-liner, there's a decapitation or messy slaughter thrown in. Tone –wise, it's somewhere in between and comparable to other similar movies of this genera like Eight-Legged Freaks, Slither and Tremors. Heck, it even steals a line from the latter ("I discovered them, I get to name them") and even the name of this movie 'Grabber' is a direct reference/lift of the term 'Grabboids' in the movie Tremors.

The game cast are uniformly good and put in a lot of effort. Everyone gets a fair share of mostly funny one-liners. There's lots of eccentricity going on: the weary bar man and his interfering, nosy wife, a guy who keeps a monster in his bathtub and a babbling, eccentric British scientist, who's not as smooth as he thinks. It shouldn't all work, but, damn, somehow it does. The misty island locales play a vital part in adding a suitably unique atmosphere to the entire mix.

The creature effects – a combination of CGI and practical – are very effective and well done. The monster appears to be some sort of squid and possesses numerous tentacles (the 'grabbers' of the title). There are several stand out scenes with the creature; one – an attack on a car – is extremely effective. For a movie that was made on a comparably low budget, it has a slick look to it and seems quite expensive. Had this been made in the America, it's fair to say it probably would have probably cost five or six times as much.

This movie wears all its inspirations like a heart on its sleeve. If you look closely, you will see many homages: Jaws, Alien, Aliens ("Get away from him, you c**t!"), and the aforementioned Tremors… why stop there: even the score bears a resemblance to Jerry Goldsmith's score for Alien. Even the overall concept: a group of people trapped on an island during a bad storm while creatures run amok outside reminds you of a certain movie with dinosaurs. Now all you have to do it add in all the blarney and alcohol to the mix and you have something unique. And Irish.

Yes, admittedly, there is a lot of alcohol in this movie and it does play a major part in the overall story, which may not sit well on the shoulders of people who are offended by the 'drunken Irish' stereotype. Hell, even the lead actor is playing an alcoholic. However, a word to the wise: the fact is, they're on an island with little else to do, so it's no different to setting the movie in the American South in moonshine country: you kind of expect this sort of behavior. Besides, how can you hate a movie in which the heroine tries to be heroic while at the same time clumsily and tipsily lumbering through a potentially deadly situation?

Overall, this is a very good and effective movie. It's smart and there's a lot of laughs and wit thrown in. It's well shot and directed, and is entertaining enough to keep your attention right to the very end. It has a pacey and swift running time so there's no danger of it outstaying its welcome either. This is a movie for everyone – especially those who like horror and comedy or a mixture of both - and will play across cultural divides. If you liked any of the aforementioned movies, you will like this.
51 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Laughs and scares are abundant
Paul Evans20 August 2015
Oh my days, this film is nuts, I am a fan of all things Irish, and when they do humour they know how to do it properly.

Something has washed up along the stunning Irish coast, they turn out to be Pilot Whales, but what's caused this strange phenomenon? Big time cop Garda Lisa Nolan lands on the small community of Aran Island to offer support to casual cop Ciaran o'Shea. The locals soon start disappearing, in monstrous fashion. And not long before it's full scale mayhem.

I've become a huge fan of Russell Tovey, the guy can do it all, he is so funny, but Richard Coyle and Ruth Bradley make a fantastic double act.

The humour is so good, it's so funny and the effects are considering it's a B movie, well put together. The backdrop of the grabber against a pub full of drunken Irish villagers is class.

I fear this will be one of those films not enough people will get to see, it's well worth a look.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Original, fun & underrated
chez11111 May 2015
I'm no expert, I seldom ever write reviews unless I feel strongly about a film and/or feel that it has been overlooked.

Also, I won't explain the plot because that has already been done & is detailed under the heading "Storyline" above. (It bothers me when people just regurgitate information that has already been provided, or worse yet, expand it to 'spoiler' point!)

*In my opinion, as a fan of UK films & fanatic of the horror genre, this movie is an absolute gem.*

The story is really original, smart, funny & moves along with no trouble keeping your interest. The characters are endearing (even those with more minor roles), the creature is very unique with effects that, I think, are well done. As for the filming location, it is absolutely beautiful, making all of the scenic shots just breathtaking.

It made me jump...several times, hold my breath in angst, get a tiny bit misty, almost wet myself from laughing so hard & also made me think, just a little. (the humor is not corny, but smart & witty. It's often subtle)

I admit, there was one scene in which a character did not react in the most believable or logical way (Under attack they did not use a phone that was right next to them, etc.). Otherwise, I really have no other criticism.

I only watch movies that I really like more than once or twice, & I have watched this movie well over ten times! It's rating seems very low to me & I hope that my input might encourage people to watch despite it's number rating.

This is just my personal viewpoint. However, everyone that I have had watch this has enjoyed it and had fun...I really hope you do as well!!
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Monster battling; Irish style!
Coventry12 November 2012
There's nothing like some good old-fashioned monster movie mayhem! That's also what director Jon Wright must have thought when he read the script for this totally unpretentious but enormously amusing and respectably made mixture between comedy and horror. "Grabbers" isn't just reminiscent to the 1990 crowd-pleaser "Tremors"; it's actually the best monster flick since! "Tremors" was, and still is, so popular because of its fast-paced action sequences, terrific special effects and the swell dialogs & marvelous chemistry between the lead actors. "Grabbers" exactly features all these trumps as well, more or less in the same portions even, and yet it never once feels like a lame imitation or an uninspired knock-off. The uniqueness of "Grabbers" lies within the fact that it's a largely Irish production. The screenplay shamelessly exploits all the typical clichés and stereotypes that are irreversibly linked to the Irish people and their culture, but the self-parody works amazingly efficient. When a fiery meteor crash-lands into the sea, the live extraterrestrial content washes ashore and promptly feasts on a colony of grey whales. Somewhat later, when the town's missing person cases alarmingly increase, the drunkard deputy and the geeky new female "garda" discover the mother alien's hideout on the beach. Together with a local scientist, they also discover the fierce creatures survive on blood and are therefore allergic to high doses of alcohol in the blood. So what's a bunch of poor, defenseless and thirsty Irish folks to do…? The easy and light-headed ambiance of "Grabbers" sucks you in from the very beginning and there are many more ingenious elements to make this an enjoyable viewing experience. Richard Coyle (from the BBC hit-series "Coupling") and the 15 years younger native Irish actress Ruth Bradley play extremely well together and even the completely implausible slowly unfolding romance doesn't annoy too much. There's also a large variety of awesome supportive characters, like a mumbling fisherman and a couple of crazed tavern owners. The monster's design and special effects are very adequate. Okay, it's computer engineered, but not exaggerated. The mother alien actually looks somewhat like the mythical Kraken, with a truckload of tentacles and hundreds of razor sharp teeth at the center. Many of the situations are laugh-out-loud funny, but the important ones are also tense and exhilarating. Great entertainment, highly recommended.
22 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Surprising well made low budget with great Irish humour like a Waking Ned with Monsters
jonnytheshirt1 February 2013
Being Irish myself I'm obviously biased and Irish horror doesn't happen that often. However Grabbers was great fun and managed to not only encompass Irish character and humour in it, it also pulled it off with a good cast and surprisingly good CGI. Based on a remote Island that suffers a minor invasion from something strange the shenanigans of the locals are compounded by the fact that alcohol and being drunk seems to be a good first line of defense. Some real laugh out loud moments nice Irish scenery and a decent cast including some recogniseable faces. A nice light hearted horror/comedy gem. Also good to see a comedy movie that doesn't include the overkill toilet humour involved in so many American made films. Disclaimer: Although there may have been toilets in this movie somewhere.
16 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great B-movie monster fun
Rob Williams30 November 2012
Aliens invade an Island in um...Ireland, the only way to survive is get drunk...book me a flight!!!

I had slightly low expectations, hopefully mildly amused at best, but how wrong was I.

Utterly engaging characters, dry,witty dialogue, a real fun B-Movie horror flick so reminiscent of such 'classics' as Tremors and Deep Rising, with even a knowing nod to the drunken exploits of Gremlins towards the end.The special effects are on the cheap side but this is a tiny criticism.

Great Balti & a Beer Saturday night (or any night) entertainment.
26 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Standard monster horror movie, but well done, good humour and drunk Irishmen
siderite6 September 2012
I will rate this higher than average because, well, it was a decent film. It brought everything we know an love in a monster film, but it didn't botch it up.

The plot is also pretty funny, without being completely ridiculous: a space alien that looks a lot like a mouth with many tentacles decides to make our sea its home, unfortunately for some of the local fauna and fishermen. Also, it drops near the shore of Ireland, unfortunately for the alcohol allergic blood sucking monster. Some people soon learn of the man eating monster and hatch out a plan: get p!ss drunk and fight the alien. Many funny moments follow.

The movie is alright, with a tasteful mix of standard monster movie recipe and cultural stereotyped comedy. Some of the people in the cast are known actors: Richard Coyle (Prince of Persia), Russell Tovey (Being Human), Ruth Bradley (Primeval). I liked it.
21 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Grab some beers before watching this one.
Scott LeBrun9 June 2015
This appreciably loopy horror / comedy takes place on Erin Island, a community for fishermen off the coast of Ireland. Richard Coyle plays police officer / amiable lush Ciaran O'Shea, who's given the job of showing around new arrival Lisa Nolan (Ruth Bradley). Soon they find their hands full: pilot whale carcasses litter the shore, and people are disappearing. The culprit is discovered by likable lug Paddy Barrett (Lalor Roddy): a species of (alien?) blood drinking squid like creature, that thrives in the water. Ciaran and Lisa discover that the secret to making themselves and their fellow citizens less appetizing to the monster will come rather naturally.

"Grabbers" deals in obvious stereotypes, to be sure, and it hits a lot of the expected beats for a genre story of this nature. It may not be original in terms of basic plot, but it does put a modestly interesting and charming Irish spin on a tried and true formula. Sometimes it gets a little tiresome, but it manages to deliver a fair amount of laughs. It starts somewhat slow (after a "grabber" of an opening) but builds in intensity until an action packed climax in the rain. The creature design is reasonably enjoyable, and the visual effects (and gore) are easy enough to take. The 2.35:1 aspect ratio allows for some pretty picturesque visuals.

Coyle is an engaging hero; he's flawed, but it comes as no surprise when he is able to rise to the occasion when the excrement hits the fan. The lovely Bradley is an appealing heroine, and she displays a fine comic ability in the later parts when she gets good and drunk. The supporting cast is solid as well: Russell Tovey as biologist Dr. Adam Smith, Bronagh Gallagher as area local Una Maher, David Pearse as Brian the barman, Ned Dennehy as Cooney, and Pascal Scott as Dr. Gleeson.

Monster movie lovers ought to have a pretty good time with this one.

Seven out of 10.
It's an amazing B-movie
megatron130010 September 2014
I spend a lot of time on Netflix watching various horror, creature features, and disaster movies. It's kind of a weak spot for me. As much as I love the blockbusters like Guardians of the Galaxy, I find myself watching the SyFy inspired movies a lot. With that being said, it's been a while since I've found one that was this good. As far as B-movies go, the acting was fantastic, the special effects were fantastic, and the plot was above average. It had a perfect blend of horror and comedy that I like to see in movies like this. The separation between this movie and a lot of the others in this genre is that this movie's comedy was intentional and not a product of crappy production/acting etc.
Luck of the Irish
bowmanblue5 June 2014
From a pretty average start 'Grabbers' soon gets going and shows its true colours, i.e. it's not just a horror, but a pretty tongue-in-cheek comedy. And that's where its strength lies. It's at its best when it's being slightly cheeky. Yes, there's a reasonable amount of gore (but not that much). What little budget there is has been spent on the creatures themselves. And, for a mere (in Hollywood terms) £2 million the monsters are actually pretty well done. They're all computer-generated, but the CGI fits in seamlessly with the real actors all around them.

The film is about a sea-full of tentacled monsters who descend on an island off the coast of Ireland and start sucking the blood of the hapless locals. However, as luck would have it, these beastly parasites are allergic to the taste of alcohol. Therefore, all that needs doing to survive is getting out-of-your-face drunk. Of course, fighting back while plastered is actually quite hard! Also, the film benefits from seeing the monsters (in the full) early on. In other similar monster-movies, you only get to see a tentacle here or there until the final scenes (normally to save on special effects), but here you see them 'full frontal' from pretty early on.

Most of the characters are hardly developed, but if they're funny then we can forgive that.

If you're a fan of such cinema greats (!) as 'Deep Rising' then this is in the same cheeky little league of its own.

Get a grip
Tony Bush16 December 2012
Remote island off the Irish coast is invaded by tentacled blood-sucking aliens from outer space. The aliens, it is discovered, are allergic to alcohol so the natural course of action is for everyone to lock themselves in the only pub and get hammered to levels usually reserved for the town drunk.

Small, low budget, fun and quite charming. The film benefits from some eccentric characters and performances and is elevated by the presence of the impossibly cute and gorgeous Ruth Bradley as a straight-laced police officer and Richard Coyle as her alcoholic partner. The scene in which teetotaller Bradley gets drunk for the first time is delightful and very well-observed. Bradley is very easy to fall in love with here.

So it's funny, smart, unpretentious and in a way "cosy" entertainment. It's not going to win any awards or set the world on fire and is perhaps a bit too mainstream to become a cult item. Still, as an inoffensive and amusing time-waster it's well worth a look.
Great movie!
joel69631 January 2012
I loved this movie! What a great surprise at Sundance. I didn't expect this to be in my top ten movies at the festival, and it made the top three. This is a funny horror movie that brings out the kid in me. There are a lot of laughs and then there are some laugh out loud parts. There are some hints of tremors in the dialogue and the wacky characters (as well as the plot of course), so if you liked that movie, you'll like this one. You know it's a good movie when some of the minor supporting characters have some of the best one liners. Of course, the male and female lead were excellent and created a strong base for the rest of the cast to do their thing. All in all the director did a superb job with this...the script is tight, it's well acted and flows smoothly from scene to scene. And hell, who doesn't love looking at the Irish countryside?
20 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Alien invasion? Let's get Langered!
alex (doorsscorpywag)26 November 2012
Having gotten langered with Irish people many times the premise looked at first glance a bit stereotypical but was done in such a fun way that we were all in on the joke even us English. A bit like an episode of Father Ted with police instead of priests and some aliens.

Water aliens land in the Isle Of Erin. They could not have picked a worse place as this lot were one serious bunch of drunken bastards.

And unfortunately that was the invaders Achilles heel.

How we got there was crazy and at times made no sense but was as funny as hell and the madcap ending with a truly mental Irish p#ss up in a pub to protect the population after kidnapping everybody from the church with a genius bit of drunken cajoling by the Garda was a treat to behold.

The acting was excellent and their dedication to portraying drunken people looked a bit too real especially Garda Lisa who went from teetotaler to p#sshead brilliantly in one of the best scenes in the film.

I genuinely loved this movie as it was insane and took the p#ss out of Sigourney Weaver and Aliens superbly at the end!

Forget the plot and any holes in it just enjoy the ride as it's a cracker.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny & Scary
corrosion-223 July 2012
This whimsical tale of alien creatures attacking the inhabitants of a small Irish village hits the bulls eye in providing laughs and scares in generous quantities. Grabbers is a prime example that with a witty script, taught direction and excellent ensemble playing, you don't need a huge budget to deliver a first rate comedy-horror picture. Grabbers has the same comedy-horror tone of Gremilns, to name just one example, combined with the atmosphere of Local Hero.

Grabbers could well end up on the midnight cult movie circuit whilst Richard Coyle, its male lead, is destined for bigger things. A thoroughly enjoyable movie which is heartily recommended.
38 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My Review Of "Grabbers" 2012
ASouthernHorrorFan21 July 2013
"Grabbers" is a modern creature-feature, horror-comedy from the Emerald shores of Ireland. The film is directed by Jon Wright, who directed the 2009 dark horror, social satire "Torment", which dealt with class warfare and social injustice within society through the microcosm of the politics of life among the student body. That film was a serious address to the principles of an action-consequence scenario set in a traditional-styled horror. "Grabbers" is a lighter, more fun-loving satire about Irish stereotypes, inebriation, and a celebration of community and culture facing an identity in transition,set in total b- movie sci-fi, horrror-comedy fanfare. The movie stars Richard Coyle, Ruth Bradley, Russell Tovey and Lalor Roddy.

In "Grabbers" a small hamlet on a island just off the coast of Ireland mainland, finds themselves in the middle of an alien invasion. These are not the little green meanies bent on planetary domination. In this story the aliens are huge ravenous Kraken-esque creatures that find our world just one big smorgasbord . It is up to the villagers to fight off these creatures and save the planet, but in order to do so they have to approach the situation through beer goggles. Once they learn that the only way they can stay alive, and not seem tasty, is to get really really drunk! The creatures love blood, need it to thrive and procreate. Alcohol is like poison to them, so it becomes a salvation to the community. Nothing but fun can come from this! It is a truly entertaining set-up, and a total Irish embrace of preconceived notions of the Irish people by the rest of the world. The film is pretty much a statement that says they are owning it!

For me personally, "Grabbers" is one of those rare films that celebrates everything about classic b-movie creature-features in a modern way without looking like it is making a big effort to do so. It gets it right! The film flows smoothly and effortlessly, which makes it an easy, fun viewing experience. There is no real odd moments were the acting seems coerced, or the lines fall flat. You don't even have to be Irish, or from the UK, to get the humor to relate to the film. "Grabbers" maintains a level of story and dialog that is truly universal. Not since "Killer Klowns From Outer Space" and "Tremors" have I enjoyed a film like this so much. The creatures dominated every scene they were in, with care and quality taken to how best to represent the monsters on screen. They didn't look cartoonish or ridiculous. The actors were funny and likable. The funny was actually funny. I have to say that "Grabbers" is a really great film, and one of the best horror-comedies that I have seen in a great while.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A real gem of a monster movie.
nexus620103 September 2012
Wow, what a great film. Great direction, acting, the effects were top class and the creatures were excellent. It just goes to show, with talent £4 million , the budget for coffee for "Snow White and the Huntsmen" I would think, goes a long, long way.

The story is a simple one, alien life form falls to earth near a small Irish island, with a quirky community and starts to eat the inhabitants.The way not to get eaten ??????? Get drunk. lol. Its not the story but the way its told. the script is funny and engaging, the characters the same.the film moves along with a swift pace and before you know it, its finished. I mention "Snow White and the Huntsman " because I saw that 2 days before this and I did go "OOOhh ahhhh, wow, the costumes, the effects, the massive scale, the production" but in the end,Grabbers was 5 times more entertaining and interesting.

Lets just hope this talented director does not get sucked in by the Hollywood producers who will want to change everything for mass appeal and maximum profit. Raw talent should be allowed to be just that, Raw and un-chained.

A must see creature feature, comedy horror.
19 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Gem
yorkshire_keith9 September 2015
strange how the early reviews of this film are fairly poor and then get better and better. I'm wondering if those people who are desperate to be the first to review films, or maybe go to see them very early at film festivals and are serious "film buffs" are just the kind of humourless twerps that are a little bit far up their own. . well you know.

Reviewers from the united states who think that having Irish accents in an Irish film relegates it to the "bottom of the barrel" for instance, are probably still "shocked" when the master criminal in their favourite U.S. summer blockbuster turns out to be the guy with the European accent!

Anyway for you that find Irish accents singularly appropriate in a film set in Ireland, and like the idea that A small island off the coast of Ireland with not much more than a Pub for entertainment might prove an interesting location for an invasion of alcohol allergic tentacled alien invaders. Read on. Even more so if you are a little over the age of the average visitor to the cinema: call the cinema "the Pictures" and the TV "the telly", will probably see this on Netflix, and can just about remember seeing old black and white comedies with Peter Sellars, Terry Thomas or Ian Carmichael. You might just find this entertaining. I say entertaining deliberately. Reviewers who found they were fair widdling themselves laughing were without doubt on cannabis. This film may give you a couple of guffaws but mostly it has you smiling or quietly chuckling into your glass of Murphy's as the "dack of screen" character actors do something or say something that I in my racist stereotype imbued way, imagine a country Irish drunken old fisherman would when say face to mouth with a blood sucking alien tentacled monster. The idea that non verbal alien monsters might actually be fussy eaters is so obvious it's close to genius, the idea it might be alcohol in the blood that leaves a sour taste is even closer, the idea of basing the scenario in an Irish village full of ageing rural fishermen and their wives puts it firmly into the category. It's true that there are holes in the plot. the meteor falls to earth and they haven't burned to death en route: they do capture their victims with a harpoon like tongue whith pretty much kills instantly certainly before a good taste could be had, and they appear when trying to eat their victims to be put off the meal before they've done any real damage to the face they were sucking on so how do they taste the blood. Well if you'd stood in front of my uncle nick after he get's back from a night at the Rose and Crown my friends you wouldn't need to ask that last question.

It's also true as one reviewer pointed out that there don't seem to be any children in the film. I'm willing to allow that one irregularity for the charm and humour that results. Take out the aliens and substitute some other form of baddie and this would be a new Ealing comedy reminiscent of Whisky Galore or the Lady Killers. Brilliant
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Must get drunk to fight a monster. Sounds like fun right?
moviesmaniax19 February 2015
Must get drunk to fight a monster. Sounds like fun right? Grabbers is a comedy/sci-fi film with its smart goofy concept with silly humors at its finest and creatures that are really well designed. However, the film could have been much more better if there's more into the story as it doesn't seem to extend its goofy concept to reach its full potential quite yet and the plot just falls short. There are some GORES but don't expect any memorable or over the top bloody kills which is also quite disappointing as the film could have been much more fun if it's bloodier than this. Some jumpy SCARE scenes but beside that, the creatures look quite terrifying, sometimes quite cute with amazing visual effects that you might not expect it to be this good at first. Overall, this is a nice little FUN sci-fi/comedy film that's consistently funny with its goofy concept and impressive creature effects, but still leaves much more room for improvement.

>>B-<<
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brilliant Comedy, great Scifi.
Rollum3 January 2014
Grabbers is foremost a comedy but the opening scene sets you up for some monster horror. When a UFO crashes into the sea, a fisherman and his crew investigate. They soon find out that the bright light was not a flare from another ship in distress but something much worse. Great start to a great movie. The alien makes its way to a small island community where the resident Garda Ciarán O'Sheaarda (Richard Coyle) and his colleague Garda Lisa Nolan (Ruth Bradley) step up to save the town. Every character is full of life and instantly likable. There wasn't a single dialogue wasted and the timing of the humour was brilliant. I spent most of the time either gasping in suspense or laughing hysterically. The alien and its spawn are pretty creepy looking. This is some of the best range of entertainment I've had from one movie.
Alien meets Gremlins meets Dusk Till Dawn meets Father Ted
skinbobrabbit1 January 2014
IGNORE THE SLATERS. This movie is a belting good comedy horror romp.

It's the perfect blend of entertainment, fun, silliness and B-Movie style (make you jump a tiny bit) horror. All done on a half decent sized budget with good CGI and without the gung-ho USA! USA! gaaawd bless Murika trashy bull. You want 4 million bullets fired, a war's worth of explosions and a plot so thin, it could evaporate, watch White House Down. It may not have huge super stars in the cast, but it really doesn't need them. Everyone in it plays their part brilliantly and all are stars in their own right.

It all starts with a Jaws appetiser, add a dash of Die Hard, a pinch of Gremlins, a side order of Alien, with Dusk Till Dawn for pudding. All smothered in Father Ted style comedy gravy. There's even a little love story thrown in for the soppy ones among us.

So switch off your brain, pour yourself a pint of the black stuff and let this movie suck you in.

And don't take it too seriously!
Really Fun Movie
jhuebel5 January 2013
** Minor Spoilers***

This is a seriously fun movie.

It's got jump-scares here and there, of course. I won't say this is all that scary. But what makes this movie great is that it doesn't take itself seriously. The special effects are good and the characters are hilarious.

Ruth Bradley (who plays Lisa) is seriously cute, especially when they get her sloppy drunk. Her drunken silliness had me laughing. But she's not the only really likable character in the movie. Ever one of the characters is fun in their own right.

Highly recommended if you're into horror/comedy movies. I'd liken this to comedy/horror movies such as the original Tremors, Six-Legged Freaks and Evolution.