IMDb > Kill Katie Malone (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Kill Katie Malone

Kill Katie Malone More at IMDbPro »

Only worth a watch if you love ghost thrillers

Author: iamwudu from Germany
26 September 2011

After the first 30 minutes I knew I couldn't expect much from this movie. Almost all typical "ghost thriller" clichés are used. Nothing new or unexpected. I tried to give this movie a chance anyway, but at the end I still was disappointed. The creepy scenes aren't very creepy. The story doesn't make sense sometimes (one scene she hates him, next scene she loves him..) and as mentioned the story is just too predictable to entertain. I watched it till the end because I hoped it would get better or more thrilling at the end, but that wasn't the case. You shouldn't watch this movie if you are not a big fan of this type of films, and even if you are, you probably won't get too excited.

A concedable ghost-in-the-box handout.

Author: EyeAskance from fabulous Las Vega$!
28 September 2011

A trio of college pals merge their funds for an unusual online auction purchase...an 18th century box which houses the malevolent spirit of a murdered Irish servant girl. When the box is opened, the ghost is set free, and predictable carnage ensues.

KILL KATIE MALONE really offers nothing new to the horror genre, but it's a satisfactory little product, nonetheless. Performances from the key players are a notch or two above the yardstick, and their characters are surprisingly well developed. This is pretty subtle stuff for contemporary horror, though not entirely ineffective...I actually rather liked the way it skirted explicit visual shocks for a more veiled, spectral puissance.

All in all, a higher quality production than the flat material really deserved.

The eBay gHost

Author: Jason Oldakowski from Australia
2 March 2011

Two guys and a girl are tickled pink to discover a ghost for sale on eBay. Apparently the ghost is capable of granting wishes. One of the dudes simply can't resist placing a bid, with a little contribution from his buddy. A package soon arrives containing what seems to be nothing more than an old jewelery box with a crappy locket inside. Obviously the locket holds a photo of Katie Malone. Suddenly people on campus are mysteriously dropping like flies. It's almost as if they're possessed by some masochistic entity. Some average acting leads us through a series of mildly creepy moments... ... ... you know what? I don't even know why I watch this crap let alone review it. There's not even any boobs... except Dean Cain! Run away!

Check out my IMDb List for some better suggestions. "HORROR/THRILLER: Obscure, Overlooked & Underrated" http://www.imdb.com/list/8QFZ78e4Ar8/

A good premise wasted on yet another teen horror flick

Author: chaugnurfaugn-269-83012 from United Kingdom
16 May 2012

Prior to actually switching on the movie, this had promise. The premise that somebody might buy a ghost on eBay (or the copyright friendly film version of YouBid) interested me and I was eager to see how the story unfolded.

Unfortunately, a promising idea has been sold out to the tune of yet another college/teen horror thriller where a bunch of attractive American teenagers spend half the film running around a college or dorm from some kind of terrifying something that wants to kill them. Feel free to replace terrifying something with 'murderous ghost', 'axe wielding maniac', 'Freddy Kreuger' or whatever. It doesn't matter. The play out is the same and we've all seen it a million times before.

Direction is typically brash and predictable, akin to an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer with less camp. Our protagonists make all the usual horror movie victim mistakes and the haphazard introduction of the haunting is far too over-the-top. Too much is shown too soon and the inevitable killing scenes are silly to the point of absurd.

There's really nothing new here. An original idea is squandered for the sake of a safe return on the budget (one assumes). The result is something forgettable and bland.

Kill Katie Malone.......please!

Author: drdeathforpresident from United States
8 December 2012

Wow! This was a piece of crap. This is Dawson's Creek meets Poltergeist - lots of gooey "love is in the air" b.s. between the two main characters Jim & Ginger who just talk and talk and talk. The movie begins when Dean Cain's daughter brings a small box into the house and tries to destroy it. Well, Katie Malone will not have any of that, by golly, so she kills the daughter and we are now in a dormitory where Jimbo is bidding on said box; he wins and his roommate has a sh*t fit. A teacher dies, a bully dies by the screams of Ms. Malone (by the way, not bad acting by The Hulkster's son.)and a jogger explodes in a park. If anything, you need to see this ONLY for the ghost - adds a creepy feeling to this teenage lust boredom. Kudos for Sylvia Panacione as "Katie Malone." Unfortunately, two cool death scenes does not a movie make.

Boring and generic

Author: Matt Kracht (krachtm@yahoo.com) from New York
4 April 2013

The plot: A trio of college students buy a box with a ghost in it, not expecting the box to truly be haunted.

Kill Katie Malone is basically a combination of the Robert Louis Stevenson short story "The Bottle Imp" and some stupid eBay auctions that caught the attention of the media, when people tried to sell ghosts. Predictably, eBay wasn't very amused, and it's now against their Terms of Service to sell ghosts, haunted items, or other supernatural things.

Apparently, these kids got in before the ban, and they buy a haunted box. Ooooh, creepy. The ghost allegedly has the power to grant wishes, but it's very clingy and family-oriented. If you say anything about abandoning her or breaking up the family, it tries to kill you. The only way to get rid of it is to sell it on eBay.

This is an absolutely ridiculous idea for a movie. The Robert Louis Stevenson story was actually quite interesting, because it offered what seemed like an unsolvable paradox. Kill Katie Malone, however, is just a generic slasher with a stupid plot. I'd have trouble recommending it to anyone, even bored teenagers. If you've got nothing else to do, I suppose you could waste your time on this, but I'm not sure why you would bother, when you could memorize prime numbers or the digits of pi. Either would probably be more exciting than watching this movie.

Minor Chills to be found here.

Author: loomis78-815-989034 from United States
5 April 2013

College student Jim (Colletti), sees an on line auction selling an ancient box that is suppose to have a ghost inside it. Short on cash, he convinces his two best friends Ginger (Lusha) and Kyle (McDaniel) to lend him the rest and he purchases it. Once it arrives they open it and unknowingly release the spirit of an 18th century Irish immigrant named Katie Malone. Like a psychotic genie, Katie kills off anyone messing with her family which is the three friends who own her. Jim is the first to realize what is happening and as others start to die his friends catch on. Set at Halloween time (you can tell because the same plastic pumpkin is in the background on most shots) for no particular reason, this is a movie you want to like. The three friends are likable and the Actors treat their roles with respect. The story is timely and somewhat original but at times becomes muddled. Katie's spirit attacks anyone wanting to hurt her owners but at times attacks them as well. Why? More practical effects would have helped take out some of the downright cheesy digital ones, and all though it manages a few jump scares and moments of creepy imagery, overall it just isn't good enough to be fulfilling. Relatively bloodless and no nudity, makes one wonder why this isn't PG-13.

Wow so boring

Author: fishydnb from Norway
21 June 2015

Damn I'm impressed they manged to make this movie that boring. If you haven't watched already don't, you will just waste 1.5 precious hours of your life. Laughable crappy acting and boring story. I could not bare to watch the whole thing i had to turn it off, or else i might have died of boredom. I would rather watch the wall for 3 hours. What makes it even worse(if that is possible) is that f****** happy teenage American rock music at the party and other. Just like American pie type movie music, f****** terrible. It didn't give off one scare either and that woman in the hallway getting strangled with her tongue out by nothing? haha wtf. Was real comical with the Amish girl ghost standing n the street too, that's when i turned off.

Somewhat fun and enjoyable ghost effort

Author: GL84 from Los Angeles, Ca
25 March 2014

After thinking they've purchased a gag-gift on an internet auction, a group of friends find their new toy actually contains a malicious ghost who stops at nothing to interfere with the outside forces amongst the group, forcing them to find a way of dealing with the angry spirit.

This turned out to be a rather enjoyable entry. One of the biggest pluses here is the fairly different take on the killer-ghost genre, with the ability thrown in that ghosts can be contained into an object and then used as what amounts to genies from the legend, a unique concept that does some good work here. The fact that this tends to go for long periods of time trying to set up points where the interaction become necessary is a bit of contention, since the film's not really that interesting in those periods and not a lot goes on worth getting excited about, but the decent amount of gore in the kills and a pretty tense number of confrontations throughout the storyline definitely save it and make it pretty entertaining.

Rated R: Graphic Violence and Graphic Language.

Interesting Rehash Of Ghost Movies

Author: aesgaard41 from United States
30 January 2013

I'm a big fan of horror movies; probably ghost movies more so than vampire and zombie flicks. I'm mostly cruising the horror aisle of my movie rental place up and down looking for haunted houses movies and slowly realizing that all horror movies are based on a limited number of horror film archetypes, so as years go by, it gets harder and harder to find horror movies that catch my interest. Enter: "Kill Katie Malone." The title alone is enough to make me read the synopsis, and if that catches my interest, I'm seeing it. It "stars" Dean Cain from "Lois and Clark," but he's actually in less than five percent of the movie for an opening tag and end prologue. The movie itself is about three college kids at a generic college who read about a ghost box that grants wishes on E-Bay, but since E-Bay may sue, they make up a site called "U-Bid." They really don't take the object seriously, but for some reason, they follow through in buying it. The main owner is Jim Duncan, but since his friends, Ginger and Dixie (whose nick-name is never explained) chip in to help him buy it, they become part owners. After getting and opening the box, which is a big mistake in addition to getting the box, they start experiencing haunting phenomenon and in the perimeter of their lives, people start vanishing or getting killed. The whole movie has shades of "The Possession" movie with the dybbuk, which was based on a true story revealed on the TV-Series, "Paranormal Experience." Masiela Lusa, the hot daughter from "The George Lopez Show," plays Ginger, and she's smoking hot now, which makes the movie worth a see. The special effects are impressive, but not as out-standing as they would have been for a bigger motion picture, but then the best horror movies aren't about gore or special affects. They're about atmosphere and top-notch performances, and while the performances here are good, the movie itself isn't that chilling or especially scary, but it does move along very well and doesn't stray from being logical or too incredible. While it's not a great movie, I do call it a good movie for serious horror enthusiasts, but while the dead heads might like the death scenes, they're not going to like the rest of it.