IMDb > Mandrake (2010) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Mandrake (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Better than most syfy productions, but not saying much

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
13 April 2011

As far as these syfy movies, which range from adequate to terrible, go this is better than most. It does have an intriguing premise, and starts off very well. And for a syfy movie it actually looks quite good, with the scenery quite nice, the photography not looking completely slip-shod and the monster creepy-looking and giving an adequate sense of menace. As for the attacks, two or three were nail-biting and quite gory, but some of them are quite tame.

Despite the cool premise and twenty-five minutes of genuine atmosphere, Mandrake quickly becomes repetitive and predictable. The dialogue is fairly unimpressive mostly, with a number of cheesy moments that never ring true, and the direction while better than you would expect is patchy particularly towards the end where the film unravels in credibility. The film's pace is uneven, the beginning is very well-paced, but some of the middle drag and the end feels rushed. I didn't find myself connecting to any of Mandrake's characters, and in all honesty I don't think the actors did either.

In conclusion, better than expected but that's not saying very much. 4/10 Bethany Cox

The Jungle Feeds on the Blood of Invaders

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
15 September 2012

In a fictitious Latin American country, the soldier of fortune Sgt. McCall (Max Martini) leads the Vargas Expedition sponsored by the powerful Harry Vargas (Benito Martinez) and formed by the archaeologists Dr. Felicia (Betsy Russell) and Lin (Wayne Pere); the local Santiago Zavala (Nick Gomez) and a baggage carrier through the jungle. In the base, Carla Manning (Jon Mack) gives support to McCall's team and is the liaison with Harry, who is obsessed for a dagger.

When they reach a tomb facing south in a sacred ground, they open the tomb and finds a dagger with a ruby craved in a skeleton and Lin removes weapon from the grave, accomplishing the objective of their assignment. Dr. Felicia advises them that the tomb has a warning advising to not remove the dagger. Soon they discover that nature and the Yamballi tribe are chasing them; further, the previous expedition sent to the forest to retrieve the dagger has been slaughtered.

"Mandrake" is a TV movie released in Brazil on DVD. The story is absolutely predictable and the adventure of the expeditionary team is not scary. In the end, watching this film was a waste of time in a Saturday afternoon. Better off if I had taken a nap. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil): "A Raiz do Mal" ("The Root of the Evil")

Pretty good...but not scary

Author: miraquin from United States
10 December 2011

Mandrake is about an expedition group funded by a very rich guy named Henry to retrieve a dagger...little do they know...a great evil lurks in the jungle!!

The film was surprisingly good...the acting was decent...CG was bearable and the storyline was original. It isn't your typical syfy for those reasons I'd say.

Although it was an above average syfy type movie...I found it not the least bit scary...maybe one or two parts during the film stood out for "frightening" but, other then it was somewhat boring.

The movie was also very predictable. What you think would happen...happens. So at times it would become hard to watch and hard to get into the movie.

All in all, it was not a total bust because the monster was original and the acting was pretty good. But other then that it's your typical syfy predictable not scary film.

Better than Average Production Values Don't save this turkey

Author: elliott78212 from United States
13 September 2010

I wanted to like this movie, filmed in Shreveport, La. including a better cast than some of these SyFy movies have, but NO. Andre Stevens of Dallas fame and b-movie star produced this film it has some good special FX, and production values, yet the script never works, the actors never capture their characters. Watch it you sit thru the whole thing thinking wow this looks better than most Saturday Night flicks, even the monster is fairly cool looking, and when its over you'll think what happened to my last two hours. The actor from the Unit isn't bad but you just can't seem to connect to anyone in the film. A few inventive moments nothing more.

Syfy strikes again in this okay, but routine killer vines flick.

Author: Prolox from Canada
25 June 2011

Removing an ancient dagger from the bones of a buried conquistador, a group of people are attacked by Mandrakes, a tribe of hunters & other supernatural happenings. SYFY produced creature feature boasts some good acting & directing, unfortunately the story is not full fleshed out & the film despite a 90 minute running time feels overlong with not much suspense or interest to keep you watching. Perhaps the films own cheapness dampens the viewing experience but still with what they had here they should have made a much better movie, it has it's moments, but not enough. Strictly for fans of the genre.

**1/2 stars

Attack of the Forest!!

Author: BakuryuuTyranno from United Kingdom
19 July 2011

An obsessed millionaire hires archaeologists, anthropologists and mercenaries, one of which does not exactly belong. But unfortunately, ancient tribesmen, some plant monster(s) and even their own boss eventually stand in their way.

Apparently Syfy films have been around for long enough for nostalgia as the natives will seem familiar to those who only hoped they could forget "Snake King"

But it doesn't end there! Because they added another villain; those who have witnessed such why-couldn't-it-be-forgettable films as "Cerberus" and "Raptor Island" will non-consentually feel a familiar feeling with the introduction of a heartless rich man, willing to murder his troops should they even consider getting in his path, slowing him, or on occasion not being the closest to the monster!

Ultimately many people die as you would expect, and naturally everyone you'd expect to die dies. The plant monster itself is an interesting idea but didn't contribute much more than, say, another giant or crocodile.

mediocre SyFy flick

Author: trashgang from Midian
24 April 2012

After have seen a production from The Asylum, The Terminators, it was back again time to see a SyFy production. If you ever have seen a SyFy flick you will never forget it because they are mostly really bad. This one here was an average flick but again the cheap CGI teared it down.

As always the beginning is rather good and I thought, hell, this is going to be something in the Predator genre. But no, once the creature attacks it's just cheap CGI. The whole cocoon scene looked promising but of course they always did the killings off-camera. You do see some blood splattering here and there but it is never that frightening. Overall it looked like a flick to watch with the family on a Saturday night.

But this time they added a big name on the list, Max Martini from The Unit. The second main lead was by Betsy Russell, another big name from the Saw franchise but I was never involved with their characters. I couldn't care less if they were hurt or going to die. Storywise it was also a bit simple and you could see clearly what was going on.

I have seen worse, especially from SyFy but still, not a good movie.

Gore 1/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 2/5 Story 2/5 Comedy 0/5

Barely watchable, but watchable.

Author: Matt Kracht (krachtm@yahoo.com) from New York
28 February 2011

The beginning of this made-for-Siffy movie starts out with a lot of promise, as far as Siffy Original movies go. The production values are high (comparatively speaking), the acting is good, the sound is synchronized with the video, there aren't any glaring, amateurish CGI effects, and the actors' names may tug at long-forgotten memories of low-budget movies you've seen in the past. Usually, in the first two minutes, I can tell if made-for-TV movies are worth watching or not, and, frankly, most of them aren't. The production values and special effects maintain their comparatively high standards (approaching the quality of a ST:TNG episode), but the acting, directing, and, especially, story end up dragging down the score substantially. I can't really blame the actors, because their characters were written to be really stereotypical, barely-developed fodder for CGI monsters. There isn't much you can do with that. I'm not sure how much of the blame lies on the director, either, because he, too, probably did the best he could with the material he was given. How do you make a movie about a CGI monster that hunts down a ruthless CEO and his nameless mercenaries, without it becoming one huge, boring cliché? I'm surprised the CEO didn't try to personally burn down the Amazon rain forest just for laughs, like a Captain Planet villain. Seriously, this movie is a live-action Captain Planet episode, with the same heavy-handed moralizing and 2D villains.

Oh well. With a better script, maybe this movie could have been good, but it's still watchable. Barely.

Never get too impressed with the cover picture. But not a worst movie...

Author: Arjun Perumbavoor from India
23 October 2013

This movie reminded me again that never be too impressed with the cover photo of a movie. You may expect much more from cover pic. But about this movie, just don't expect much. You may not if you see the rating. But it not too bad at all.

Also the movie name is much much big crazy. "Mandrake", it is so weird. but never mind. The name has no role in this movie. It is not even mentioned anywhere. Just watch the movie with some potato chips. Thats it.

There is nothing much to explain in this movie. The Jungle Feeds on the Blood of Invaders. Sound little crazy, isn't it? The jungle is alive. Yep. the trees are alive and they catch human and eat them.

Some expedition team goes to dig a family heir and realizes that the jungle is alive and well connected to the dagger, which why they are here. the forest goes totally crazy when the dagger is pulled out from dead body buried separately in a tomb.

And the natives shows up and kill the team members. Few survives and realizes that stab the dagger through the heart of an invader is the only way to stop the jungle.

And they stab the sponsor( the so called villain) and escape from the jungle.

Surprisingly Good for SyFy!

Author: bpoprocker (bpoprocker@aol.com) from United States
16 April 2011

I had no I idea if this movie would be worth watching or not, but me and my mom decided to get it. When she was reading to me what it was a bout at the Red Box I told her to get it.

The cast was amazing! Top notch acting I believe. They all had my attention and I found there characters all very likable, even the ones that I didn't think I would like eventually I found likable. Not to say there ain't ones you may not like.

You'll see the scenery in the movie is beautiful. It takes place about in mid South America, but was really shot in Louisiana. This creature you will see in the movie looks pretty amazing. This wasn't no typical SyFy movie. Give it a watch, its worth it!