"How I Met Your Mother: The Sexless Innkeeper (#5.4)"

"How I Met Your Mother" The Sexless Innkeeper (2009)

« Prev | 92 of 208 Episodes | Next »

It's a comedy show! And this has it in spades.

Author: Tim Abel
2 June 2014

I'd give this episode 10 for Marshall's photo montages alone! That aside, it's a very funny episode, one of those that doesn't affect the flow of the story but makes you laugh... A lot.

The whole show is littered with these inconsequential episodes, some aren't great, some are fantastic.

If the focus was always on the character's development it would be a wishy washy drama... Enjoy these episodes for what they are... A lot of fun.

Suspend disbelief

Relax

Enjoy

Infuriating.

Author: Eristoven from United Kingdom
11 October 2011

I really didn't enjoy this episode. I have recently been watching the entire Box Set from Season 1 through to where the show is in Season 7, and my hatred for Lily's character has slowly been building. I'm usually very perturbed by the control freak dynamic in any TV show anyway, so this may not apply to everybody, but I found Lily to be very annoying in this episode especially.

Barney and Robin are an absolute train wreck of a couple; they both hate relationships, loathe commitment, have serious childhood abandonment issues and will look for any and every reason to avoid commitment.

So after waiting 9/10 months for Robin and Barney to finally stop looking for reasons not to admit their feelings to each other, Lily is euphoric when the two finally do concede that they love each other. And how does she celebrate this?, she invites them to an incredibly awkward, incredibly forward night that displays EVERYTHING that Barney and Robin hate about relationships and gives the couple a massive reason NOT to be together. Lily and Marshall then react, whence realising Robin and The Barnicle didn't enjoy the evening, as if they are the couple that has been mistreated. Lily then dumps Robin and Barney without so much as a phone call and plays right into the pair's issues of abandonment.

I appreciate it's just a TV show and the writers will never be able to fill in all the grey areas and plot holes that do emerge if you look closely enough, but it really is frustrating to watch a character that is so adamant that they are always right, they become so oblivious to the things they do wrong.