The Alto Nido apartment building in Hollywood, where the Faberge egg may be hidden, means "high nest" in Spanish. In Sunset Blvd. (1950) Joe Gillis (William Holden) lives at the Alto Nido at the beginning of the film.
The Bette Davis portrait from the '30s that accompanies the line "Eve studying Margo" is unusual because it was signed by Davis years later, c. 1980 (she liked to use a red or black Flair pen to sign her name around that time).
The Lana Turner house shown in the film is where Turner's boyfriend, mob-connected Johnny Stompanato, was killed in her bedroom (second floor, far left) in 1958. Laura Hope Crews was the original owner of the house (1936).
In the celebrity homes sequence, the room where Bugsy Siegel was murdered (1947) is in the round turret. He was reading the newspaper at 10:30 PM. It was said to be a mob hit for financial losses incurred with the Flamingo Hotel.
The Lucille Ball/Desi Arnaz residence was purchased for $85,000 in 1955. Lucy didn't like people to use the front door; she preferred the door on the right side of the house. Lucy kept the house after divorcing Desi.
Berlyn's last name, Ferlinghetti, refers to Lawrence Ferlinghetti, a guru (as publisher and mentor to Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg) of the 1950s Beat movement and owner of the City Lights bookstore in San Francisco, California.
The "head" on the table that Berlyn touches at the beginning of the F/X studio scene, is a copy of a life mask of Lon Chaney that was made for "A Tribute to Lon Chaney" at Universal Studios. Chaney was a F/X makeup pioneer.
Marlene Dietrich lived in the Art Deco house in the early '30s. In the driveway would have been her cars of the time, a 1931 Rolls Royce or a 1932 Cadillac (chauffeur-driven; Dietrich claimed to drive but actually did not).
The Gary Cooper house was his first residence in Hollywood (mid-1920s). The house belonged to his parents. Because he could ride horses, Cooper started getting work as an extra in Westerns at this time.
The front lawn of the Marilyn Monroe Elizabethan cottage was the site of the famous 1954 press conference when Marilyn, accompanied by her lawyer Jerry Giesler, announced she was divorcing Joe DiMaggio.
Ruth Chatterton entertained visiting New York stage stars in this Beverly Hills home. She had been on stage from age 12 and was a star of the early Talkies (in her spare time at Paramount she gave diction lessons to Clara Bow).
The paper doll from Rick's collection is Simone Signoret; her black dress is from Diabolique (1955) and her fringed gown is from Ship of Fools (1965). The artist is Tom Tierney, who created many movie-related paper doll books.
The Capitol Records building, designed to look like a stack of records, opened in 1956. Peggy Lee, Billie Holiday, Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, the Kingston Trio, and the Beach Boys were other Capitol recording artists.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences had its office in the Taft Building from 1935-1945. The Hays Office was the movies' censorship bureau. Many agents, e.g. Charles K. Feldman, had offices here (as did Willie Bioff of the mob).
The 1903 house with a turret on Hollywood Boulevard is the Janes House (the oldest structure still remaining on the boulevard), once a school attended by Douglas Fairbanks Jr. and the Chaplin, Ince, Lasky, and De Mille children.
The Hollywood Library is officially known as the Frances Goldwyn Library. The building was designed by Frank Gehry, architect of Disney Concert Hall, and replaced the earlier Hollywood library which was damaged in a fire in 1982.
The Hillview Apartments (the pink building where Laurel and Hardy lived) was built in 1916 as a residence for actors. Charles Chaplin once owned the building. Mae West stayed here when she was on tour with "Diamond Lil" in the '20s. The building was damaged in the 1994 earthquake and was rebuilt.
Marilyn Monroe's first job as a model was posing on the diving board of the pool of the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel (built 1927). Bette Davis's first husband Ham Nelson was the orchestra leader at the Blossom Room ballroom here.
The Oban (the blue twin-gabled building near the beginning of the film) is now known as the Hollywood Guest Inn. Musicians from the big bands of the '40s (e.g. Glenn Miller and Harry James) stayed here when they were playing at the Palladium.
The pan after Rick's quiz was filmed from the fourth floor east viewing deck of Hollywood & Highland. Note the Montecito and Fontenoy buildings; also the mural with Elvis, Marilyn, Chaplin, and John Wayne on the back of the Wax Museum building.
The Equitable Building (1929) was originally known as the Pantages Building (it's to the west of the theater of that name). Songwriter Irving Berlin ("White Christmas," "Top Hat, White Tie, and Tails," "Cheek to Cheek") had an office in the building.
The fluorescent pink roses in the film are a variety named Esprit. The director originally envisioned a more pastel shade of pink, but these were the only pink roses available the night before filming began.
Before opening as the Hollywood Paramount movie theater in 1941, the El Capitan was a live stage venue. Will Rogers, Rita Hayworth, Desi Arnaz, and Clark Gable appeared in shows there. Barker Brothers, where many stars bought their furniture, shared the building.
Bette Davis's line about George Cukor alludes to Cukor's reputation as a "women's director." In their pre-Hollywood days when both of them worked for a stock company in Rochester, New York, Cukor fired Davis from her job (although Cukor later denied this).
The street with the Washingtonia palms along it that introduces the stars' homes segment is the residential part of Hollywood Boulevard. The street sign for the cross street, Fuller Avenue, is visible on the right.
The Warner Pacific Theatre (opened in 1928) was the first movie theater on the west coast wired for sound. As a teenager, Carol Burnett worked as an usher here (she lived around the corner). She was fired for telling some patrons they should wait and see the movie from the beginning. Her Walk of Fame star is in front of the building.
The Egyptian Theatre opened with Robin Hood (1922) starring Douglas Fairbanks. The design of the building was inspired by the discovery of King Tut's tomb. James Dean's breakthrough movie East of Eden (1955) played here. The building sustained extensive damage in the 1994 Northridge earthquake and had to be rebuilt.
George Arliss recognized Bette Davis's abilities and gave her an important part in The Man Who Played God (1932) which resulted in her Warner Brothers contract. The poster in the film depicts him in his Academy Award-winning role as British Prime Minister Disraeli.
Winner of awards from the Indie Fest, the Los Angeles Movie Awards, the Los Angeles Cinema Festival of Hollywood, the Accolade Competition, the Los Angeles Film and Script Festival, and the Nevada Film Festival.
The Vine Street Theater opened in 1927 as a live theater venue. In 1931 it became the Mirror Theater, a movie theater owned by Howard Hughes, then the Studio Theatre, which also showed movies. From 1936 until 1953 it was CBS Radio Playhouse. From 1954 to 1985 the building was the Huntington Hartford Theater, then the James Doolittle Theater, and in 2003 became the Ricardo Montalban Theater.
Other television shows broadcast from the Palace Theater were The Colgate Comedy Hour (1950), The Jerry Lewis Show (1957), and The Hollywood Palace (1964). The Palace later became a live music venue for groups such as Romeo Void, the English Beat, Berlin, Nirvana, INXS, the Ramones, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Midnight Oil, and No Doubt.
The 1700 block of McCadden Place between Hollywood Boulevard and Yucca Street has changed significantly since the Simone de Beauvoir segment was filmed there. Berlyn is shown walking on the west side of McCadden (near Yucca) because that was where the famous Don the Beachcomber restaurant was located. (Simone de Beauvoir was taken to the Beachcomber when she visited L.A. in 1947, and this is referred to in the segment.) At the time the movie was made, a large parking lot covered the former Don the Beachcomber site; this area was later filled in with apartments.
Simone de Beauvoir said of Don the Beachcomber restaurant in Hollywood: "The French consul invited me to dinner. I have never seen such an enchanting restaurant." And de Beauvoir described Hollywood as "the most sophisticated city in the world, surrounded by wild-looking mountains." (Her visit was in 1947.)
Nathanael West moved into the Parva-Sed-Apta Apartments (Latin for "small but enough") in the summer of 1935. West used the building for Tod Hackett's residence in the novel he was writing at the time, "The Day of the Locust."
In 1978 the Hollywood Athletic Club was renovated and became an entertainment complex with event space, restaurants, offices, and recording studios (Joe Strummer of the Clash and the Beach Boys have recorded there).
Bette Davis's ceremony for her hand and footprints at Grauman's Chinese Theater took place the day after the premiere of All About Eve (1950) at that theater. The night of the premiere the Roosevelt Hotel across the street darkened all the letters except "eve" in its neon sign.
The Egyptian Theatre did not originally have a candy concession on the premises. Movie-goers (like Shirley Temple) who wanted to purchase candy often stopped by the Pig 'n Whistle restaurant next door, which had a candy counter.