IMDb > Iron Doors (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Iron Doors More at IMDbPro »

*Spoiler* - a nowhere movie

Author: ulricjoh from Australia
9 July 2011

This movie starts out like the "Cube" with one person waking up in a bank vault with steel walls all around him. No idea how he got there or why.

Next to him is a dead rat in various stages of decomposition.

The usual screams for help; threats against those for putting him in there; etc.

He finds a key in a light, which opens a cupboard. Inside is an oxy-acetylene blow torch and some goggles and a hammer and chisel. Neither are effective against the door (esp. when the torch was not used with a blue-flame to cut steel).

He gives up on the door and tries to get through a wall. Eventually he gets through the wall and finds an almost similar setup within, except for a coffin, containing an African woman. They both try to get out of the room and as they try to get out of the 2nd room, the door behind them opens.

Inside is a hole in the floor, much like a grave site. They are close to death and there is not much more opportunity left to escape. As they are digging through the grave to escape, the door behind them opens and it reveals "a forest like expanse, complete with waterfall; birds and animals."

* * *The End * * *

At this point, I couldn't help but wonder what was the story about: - who put them there; - why were they subjected to mental and physical torture to try escape - how were they going to live in this forest area

It didn't satisfy. Hence, the 1-star rating.

Could have been a decent Saw/Cube ripoff, but was annoying and pointless

Author: mangraa2 from United States
9 July 2011

I rarely review anything, but this was so bad I had to warn others. As another review has (thankfully) already done a summary of the film, I'll skip that part. Problem #1: The male character is irritating as hell. He's constantly making ridiculous comments to himself and just really did not give me the sense of the character being freaked out OR nonchalant. He was just... there. Problem #2: The idiocy of his behaviours.. I know, it's a movie, and he's not really thinking straight, but I was getting annoyed by how much nonsensical stuff he was doing to fill time.

Major problem #3: The ending. What? I get the feeling this is some kind of a religious ascension to heaven story, maybe the "averting the eyes" to have the vault door open is something about god.. I don't know. No explanation.

Overall, skip it. Avoid like the plague. An explanation for the entire scenario would have been nice, but if it was a thought-provoking ending the filmmaker was going for, I was so irritated by the film and characters that I honestly didn't care at all about figuring it out, and just chalked it up to being a crappy film.

Leaves you guessing... and not in a good way!

Author: Romeredjr from United States
16 July 2011

There are a few things that need to be said about this movie...

a) Go into it with an open mind and it does have the ability to grab your attention. Don't expect greatness in storyline, acting or even communication.

b) Unfortunately, it doesn't give you a reason to pay attention by the end of the movie!!! I honestly was going to give it a 3 overall... and then the final 30 seconds of the movie occurred and my friend and I were both staring at the screen with the pivotal W T F face (and then the ensuing shouts of various profane remarks about the eighty minutes we just wasted watching it).

Remember how Inception leaves you guessing even when the movie is finished... and you wind up having discussions with friends about those last crucial moments in the movie. This movie has a very, unexpected ending, yet you won't be discussing it with anyone afterward.

Interesting little indie film.

Author: ashbare from United States
5 July 2013

I went into 'Iron Doors' with no expectations whatsoever. Aside from reading a blip on a review site about how this film was actually sort of interesting. I tend to agree with at least half of the reviews on the site, so I figured I would give it a go. I'm also a sucker for Cube, and it sounded like it would be in the same realm.

You all know the story, so I'm not going to repeat it or spoil it. Iron Doors, is about a dude stuck in a room with an iron door. This turns into multiple rooms with iron doors and the main character trying to figure out how to get the heck out of dodge.

He goes through everything I expected he would go through *aka: drinking urine, eating maggots, etc*. You do what you got to do to survive. This escalates to him finding a key in a lamp, to opening a locker, to finding a blowtorch and a chisel. He eventually gets into another room (by chiseling his way through a wall)and meets an African American lady who speaks German or Zimbabwe or such. I eventually got the point though...the director is trying to tell us something morally. These two characters eventually get together based off of survival. It doesn't matter if they are black/white...speak English or another language...they have a connection now.

They both recognize it and end up having sex as the main character is basically on his death bed. Then...after she hydrates him with her tears..they figure out a trick about the iron doors, finally...and they keep moving through more rooms. I don't want to go past the explanation of the actual plot here, but there is an ending. It was foreshadowed...and it actually makes sense if you think about it. I was pretty much expecting it and that's why the rating got dragged down to a 7. I'm much more kind to indie films because they are usually doing something different. I don't want to watch Fast & the Furious 64, and if you are the same as me, you will enjoy this treat. Just don't go expecting The Prestige, and you will come out pleasantly surprised.

Adam and Eve

Author: sargetman from United States
14 February 2012

I believe this film is for those people that understand it takes time and hard work to establish moral fiber.

!!!SPOILER!!!

Classification: Thriller/Sci-Fi

Short Answer: Very little CG, interesting plot, not for those people that need to be entertained every second of the film with 'Flashy Action'. This one makes you think...

Long Answer: If the Iron Doors would have opened without any effort, how long do you think the guy would have lasted in the wild? He sure wouldn't have gone after the female because it would have been too much work to get through the wall. He had to learn to be resourceful after giving up hope on several occasions. Early in the film he proved he was spineless so he needed to break out of his shell of luxury, and re-mold himself into a stronger person mentally. The everyday human and the survival human are two different beasts entirely, this was a well displayed principle. Once he figured out that there was another way, he worked for it and did what he had to do to survive. At one point he made a comment about Aliens, just as a joke to himself in his monologue; this was a great example of foreshadowing... Interesting take on terraforming with the Adam and Eve aspect. The main thing that made the two of them unite was the fact that they both understood one common goal, survival. The language barrier was necessary to build a bond between them. This film takes the essence of their human nature, shreds it, and proves they are selfish animals with moral boundaries when presented with life threatening situations. They did what was right, even when their backs were against the wall especially when all hope seemed to be lost. The doors were to prove that in order to succeed, sometimes you need to have blind faith, hence no looking at the doors. I could go on for a while about this, interesting film. Think about it afterward for a while before posting a poor review... This one is art. This is an interesting theory. Thank you Stephen Manuel!

Really?

Author: sendallyourjunkemailhere from United States
2 August 2011

****TOTAL SPOILER**** But I'm saving you 90 minutes of your life that you can never get back.......

Garbage......director talks about "pulling the rug out from under our feet" with unexpected twists and turns. There are no turns...there are no twists.....not one.....

It's 90 minutes of waiting for something to happen.....then the waiting ends.....along with the movie.

It's not "artsy"....it's not "original".....it's "higher meaning" doesn't escape me....it's simply not there.

You're hour and a half would be better spent playing "Mad-Lib", and you have a good chance of ending up with a better plot.

Movie goes like this.....Guy stuck in room......guy and girl stuck in 2 rooms.........guy and girl stuck in 3 rooms....guy and girl outside....the end. Watch this movie in a short bus wearing a helmet, it will feel more appropriate.

80 Minutes Of Agony (For The Viewer)

Author: chicagopoetry from United States
5 October 2011

Yep. Iron Doors really is an 80 minute pretty well filmed movie about a guy who wakes up to find himself locked in a cement room with a big iron door. He talks to himself and repeatedly uses every curse word known to man before he drinks his own urine out of his shoe and eats some maggots and then talks to himself about drinking urine and eating maggots. Finally he bangs a hole in the wall and finds an African woman in another room with another big iron door. Instead of English, she speaks Zimbabwe or something with German subtitles so our hero continues to talk to himself as he tries to bang another hole in another wall with his bare hands, apparently forgetting that a few scenes back he had a pair of leather gloves. After he drinks his new friend's urine out of his shoe, the two of them sing songs and bang on the wall for about twenty minutes until they figure out that if they don't look at the big iron door and walk backward toward it, it will magically open for them. It does open, and so they find themselves locked in another room with another big iron door. Now they try to dig their way out through the floor but that doesn't work because apparently if this guy doesn't eat in two days he gets so weak he has to crawl around on all fours moaning and groaning, while the woman, who I'm assuming has been trapped just as long as he's been trapped without food or water, has all the energy in the world and uses it to give him some complimentary sexing, after which they don't look at the door and walk backward toward it and it magically opens and they find themselves on another planet. Yep.

One word: UNDERRATED

Author: Arshia Lak from Tehran, Iran
25 August 2015

Such a rating for such a movie is just disappointing... Nowadays people just want to watch a simple movie, with simple characters, and a simple and sometimes hallow meaning; if you're those kind of people do not watch this movie. I agree this movie is a complicated, one with a deeply implied meaning, that's why some people should just back off and stop writing absurd reviews. What's so complicated about this movie (and many other movies like this) is the metaphor they use, what makes this movie even more complicated is that you should understand the metaphor yourself. For instance the best review written so far by sehnsuchtununtouchable, he (or she) believed that metaphor was the victims of terrorist actions or accidents; he may be right... There's no definite answer and moreover there's no definite choices. The metaphor may be life in society without freedom, it may be fighting for freedom, it may be what sehnsuchfununtouchable, it may be just a metaphor of life itself, or etc...In my belief this movie symbolizes life; you struggle as hard as you can to achieve success (in this case escaping) you find new doors and ways to continue your life and meanwhile you find love but in the end everything just ends at one point: death. In few of the best scenes of this movie the two characters just look at the opposite side of the door and door just opens by itself, this clearly is a metaphor for life problems, the more ypu care about em they will become worse, you should try to solve them but if you see that cannot do anything just leave they'll probably be solved.This metaphor is the most special thing about the movie, and to make things even better it is accompanied by simple audio and video features which increases suspense without loosing the pace of the story. This movie is one of the of the most underrated movies ever made...

Guess I'm the only one who liked it, but I really did, and here's why...

Author: sehnsuchtuntouchable
2 June 2015

To each their own of course, but I've seen a lot of these types of movies, (of which I endearingly call, "2-4 Idiots Trapped in a Room Trying Not to Die" films), and this one did not go in the predictable route. The actors also had really great chemistry, and I mean that, even before the sex scene. I also liked the way that the film was shot with just enough interesting angles but not so many that it gives me motion sickness, (and no shaky or spinning camera effect; praise the mighty gods! XD).

That said, here's my take on the sex scene/why they had sex; if I were in a situation where I were in serious danger of dying, and were going through this with another person, I would probably grow to care a great deal about them, especially by the end as we both lay dying. If that other person happened to be someone that I found to be attractive and who also found me attractive in return, and we both seriously felt that there was no hope of surviving, I could see the romanticism in wanting to go out together in a blast of final excreted energy. Though, I felt like it went deeper than that, and I think this is why I enjoyed this one so much.

It's like how soldiers who were in combat together become brothers/sisters, or how survivors of horrible abuse or natural disasters often cling together for many years after, (if not life), because they're the only ones in the world that will ever fully and personally understand what the other has been through. It's hard to explain the love you feel for someone when they've held your hand and walked through hell with you.

As for the ending, I immediately thought, "Wow, it's like exactly what the Disney-loving inner child in me wanted for them after all they've been through!", but couldn't help but notice how purposely surreal it looked, as if something out of a dream...or something out of the series of hallucinations that the brain processes as it dies due to all the chemical stuff the brain does when you die, (unless you go by instant death, which is rare).

The guy was so exhausted and starved of everything by the end that he was crawling and barely able to make it back to the lady when he ripped out the lining of that coffin to cover her with, (that part pulled my heartstrings; sorry, it just did, okay?! :P ). I figure that he died shortly after that, and the ending was a dying vision in his mind as he passed. The lady may or may not have died at the same time.

Maybe she was really with him in the vision because she had died, too, but it seemed to me that she had another day or so before she was going to die of starvation and thirst. They'll never know who did it to them or why; that's the harsh reality of many victims of serial killers, as much as it sucks.

Again, feel free of disagree or even rip my review apart; I won't take it personally that we didn't like the same movie, haha. :)

Not that bad

Author: mark_sparkes from uk
18 August 2013

This film was not as terrible as some reviews make out and is well worth 80 odd minutes of your life. It was never going to win an Oscar but then neither are thousands of other far less worthy pieces. You know by now the plot from other reviews so you also know it's a story of symbolism. I love mysteries and that's what keeps you watching. The quality (acting, script, filming making) is strong enough to keep you wanting to know what's the out come. I've seen enough films that provide NO ending at all or the very obvious one where the character just dies as he would in reality. That would have left me annoyed!!. Just a couple points I would have liked a clearer explanation of though. I know it had a meaning, but the not looking and backing up to the doors to open them???? And another point no one mentioned. How did he get on top of the cabinet and WHY? Thinking about it, one area for improvement would have been a tighter, more realistic script. Some points are just not right and would not have taken much to put right. For example he's far more likely to have tipped over the cupboard than go to the bother of climbing on top, and would he really have started drinking urine after just a day. I know I wouldn't. Anyway, a little improvement and an OK movie.