IMDb > "The Walking Dead" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Walking Dead"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Walking Dead" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 62:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Superb. It's about time

Author: kidgloves from England
30 October 2010

Lets get this out of the way straight away THIS WILL BLOW PEOPLES SOCKS OFF. Im not kidding. I know people here are attracted to this genre for various different reasons but i'd like to think we all share some connection when zombies are involved. For me its the post apocalyptic scenario. I don't particularly need the gore element but it has its place when used well.

In Darabonts take on the apocalypse, you are there. The world is dead and rotting. The military have lost the battle. You wake up with Rick in this new world and get to explore it with him. Its the exposition of the pilot that will probably put the gorehounds off and lead to some small criticism from others. Personally, i want to see that. I want to know how society responded to the phenomenon.

Those who have read the comic books here know that Kirkmans trick is to get you attached to the characters, like you know them intimately, then kill them off. Here Darabont uses the same trick but not how you would expect nor with who you would expect.

Im personally invested in this series already. God knows what it will do to the average TV viewer. Im also not a particularly emotional person but i don't mind admitting that i was close to tears on a couple of occasions. There you go. I've said it. Just don't tell anyone.

I cant say enough about Frank darabont after watching this. He understands what this genre is all about and, more importantly, he understands Romero's zombie world. The zombies are Roamers and lurkers. They act how they should and you do feel sorry for them. This is explored really well. They are a small threat but in groups all riled up and hungry. Well, you know the rest.

The score is also outstanding. Very understated but poignant. The cinematography is worthy of a movie and the camera moves a lot. I cant recall any shaky cam which some people here seem to despise.

Kirkman, Darabont and AMC have come up with the series we have been waiting years for. Long may it continue, and you know what? I think it will. The balance is perfect between a horror film, TV show and intelligent drama.

Oh and btw. Keep getting people onboard with this. Co workers. Non zombie lover friends. Anyone. They wont think you're weird. They'll thank you. The Lost crowd are going to lap this up.

Best new series 2010?

Author: Christofer Wickmark from Sweden
22 October 2010

First heard about this show a few weeks back. Since I love zombie-movies I had to see what this was all about. At first glimpse I was a little skeptic, but the trailer convinced me otherwise.

I just watched the first episode and it matches all my expectations and MORE! I loved movies like Dawn of the Dead(new version), 28 days/weeks later, I Am Legend etc. This series is just like that, it's zombies/monsters but still very realistic.

The way the plot is presented is very entertaining, but not very surprising. The acting is top-notch and very believable. A drawback with TV-series is that the effects are usually quite tacky. However, here it's quite the opposite. Everything looks very realistic and honestly quite disgusting, in a good way.

I can't wait to watch the next episode!

My honest perception

Author: danv802002 from United States
7 August 2011

So after reading the review "An honest perception" I felt like I needed to write my own review. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. However, that being said I have to disagree with the reviewer.

So here are the reasons I like the show.

First, character development, this is not usually a very big trait in the Zombie genre. If you only watched 3 episodes, this is a big part of what you watched. They take the time to give you a slight background of the characters, a chance for you to get to know them. For those of us that are big fans of the Zombie genre it gave us a chance to think "Who would I be?" in this situation.

Second, the story doesn't follow a straight line. This was a point of contention in the other review. I personally like the multiple story lines. It keeps things interesting and keeps it from becoming a boring show where I can foresee how everything is going to turn out. And before anyone says it…YES I know this is based off a graphic novel. I haven't read it and will refrain from reading it for a while.

Third, the zombies look and act pretty bad ass. The make up is done great, not a bunch of CGI which is so common in today's world. So anyway…if you aren't a fan of the zombie genre to begin with then yeah, you probably aren't going to get why so many of us love the show. However, I think most fans of the genre will love this show.

So in closing, for those of us who love the genre, It's a weekly dose of zombie apocalypse.

For those that aren't fans of the genre, when the zombie apocalypse happens and you don't know what to do…don't come crying to me and my friends…you'll just slow us down.

On second thought…you may come in handy in case we need to make a hasty retreat…

Zombies! Zombies! Zombies!

Author: brendan-ralph from Ireland
22 October 2010

While watching the pilot episode of The Walking Dead the only word that went through my mind was "awesome!".

We finally have a TV Show that's associated with the beloved Zombie franchise and what it does it does right.

The story takes place in the present day, a Sheriff's deputy, Rick Grimes gets caught in an accident and ends up in hospital, after blanking out and waking up from a coma he finds himself in an abandoned ward with flickering lights, broken down hallways and barricaded doors. As he makes his way through the dark hospital he finds out that he is the only one that's not in a body bag.

The pilot introduces us to several main characters that actually make you want to learn more about them, with brilliant directing by Frank Darabont you will come across both dramatic and emotional scenes that seem appropriate for the time, this gives the show allot of realism and just works out great.

However this doesn't have CGI effects yet and should be kept that way, the make-up on the zombies are fantastic.

watching this will give you allot of nostalgia and the direction makes of this show feel like a classic old school zombie movie from the 80's to 90's that's actually serious this time, having a well respected cast and great acting makes this show very promising and I will be hoping for allot more future episodes... allot more. But for now I'm still waiting for the rest of the first season.

If you like zombies or even a good drama that has allot of suspense then I highly recommend this show, I have never felt this way about a show since LOST, so you know it's that good.

Even if you think you do not like this genre WATCHTHIS

Author: arizonamatt1 from Tucson Arizona
27 October 2012

I only recently was talked into watching the first episode by my Daughter as I avoid the Undead, Ghost, Vampire genre. I was blown away! I could not stop watching and had to get EVERY episode! They made 6 episodes year 1 and about 12 year 2, at 42 minutes an episode the entire year 1&2 run time is around 12 hours total and COULD RUN AS ONE 12 HOUR MOVIE, and you would still not wanna leave for popcorn. The end of each episode left me dying for the next one, The writing is incredible, the character development amazing and don't suppose you know who will live or die here cause you will have no idea. The quality makes it seem as if all other series are quaint and boring. I find myself thinking about the next episode every day. VERY WATCHABLE; VERY ENTERTAINING; GREAT GREAT SERIES!!

The Lil Wayne of TV Shows

Author: daniStakset from Sweden
13 November 2011

--- Spoilers ---

Its not that magnificent that people praise TWD. People were praising Transformers and Avatar as genius flicks with great dialog and huge character development. So I wasn't surprised when I saw TWD had a 9/10 rating on IMDb before I pressed play on the pilot.

Really, it sucked. I loved the concept, I loved the core and I have been waiting for a zombie TV show for a long time. But lets be real. Lets remove the love we have for the genre and just see TWD for what it is.

Braindead action packed with melodrama. The post apocalyptic intro is the same intro we have seen a lot of times. You know, protagonist wakes up at the hospital without knowing why there are tons of dead bodies out there and no single human being is around (28 days later, Resident Evil is what comes to mind when I see Rick waking up).

And so it carry's on with plot holes, like when Rick rides into Atlanta and the shot of him riding the horse on a empty road into the city while the road that leads out of the city is packed with cars crashed. Yeah, because not even a zombie apocalypse could make Americans disobey the traffic laws, nobody said "hey guys.. maybe we can try the road that leads out of the town since its.. you know, empty?"

In town, he easily strolls around until he rides into a horde of zombies. When they chase him, Rick is suddenly sealed off and has no where to go. Thats good writing.

I could spend an hour writing about the plot holes, but you probably know them by now. Lets talk about the characters. Is anyone developing? It seems Season 2 is all about character development since they have been doing nothing for 4 episodes except from talking about God, looking for Sophia and it seems Darryl is getting some development since he went from racist redneck to botanical poet in a couple of days of the show.

Strange how the group talks about the zombies being attracted by sound and yet Darryl is the badass outsider who is allowed to ride around in that very, very loud HD.

Andrea has been learning how to handle a gun for quite some time now. Obviously the writers made the women of the show useless and almost retarded, since their obligation is to wash clothes and talk about emotions. Sophia tops the uselessness list by being lost for so long, and the way she got lost is another great touch of amazing writing (sarcasm).

Conclusion:

The show is not what you think it is. Remove the love goggles of your eyes, break the show down into separate parts where you look at the writing, the action, the characters and the plot and you will see that it's very badly written and for sure not a masterpiece. Unless you like soap operas, that is. If you enjoy the melodrama of the show, well then you aren't really looking for a post apocalyptic show, you just want Days of our Lives set in an alternate location.

What's all the fuss about?

Author: allomoto from United Kingdom
6 December 2010

I watched the entire season, all the time hoping the next episode was going to be better than the one before. Maybe I was expecting too much when I heard The Shawshank Redemption/Green Mile director Frank Darabont was heavily involved.

There wasn't anything that unique about the show, with the storyline closer to a 'what would you do if zombies took over the planet?' pub conversation with friends. It seemed to take elements from different films completely; I noticed two major Danny Boyle/Alex Garland moments from 28 Days Later and Sunshine respectively: POSSIBLE SPOILERS: Both The Walking Dead and 28 Days have the main characters experiencing a post-apocalyptic world for the first time after waking from a coma in a hospital. I checked the dates and 28 Days Later came before The Walking Dead graphic novel which was in 2003. The second thing I noticed was music track by John Murphy from Sunshine being used. To add insult to injury, it wasn't really used well.

The visual effects seemed to switch from very impressive to very cheap. I don't get it. It should have been consistently brilliant, instead it sometimes looked like an ambitious series shot on a tiny budget punching above its weight.

There were a couple of stand out moments, which I can only really recall from the pilot. Overall there are definitely not enough creepy or scary moments like there should have been for a series like this. Most of the acting annoyed me way too much; the Korean character, the wife, the kids just didn't cut it. Anthony Lincoln was decent enough as a main character, but nothing to write home about. You've seen that type a thousand times before; just a run-of-the-mill lead without much personality. Jon Bernthal stood out for me, but there was so much crap dialogue I don't really know where to start.

I suppose something like this was going to hit TV sooner or later and it could have been a lot worse. Personally I reckon we've seen it all before- 28 Days Later, I Am Legend, any George A. Romero film. Zombies/apocalypses, etc. have been flogged to death (get it?!), and it's gonna take more than this to be special for me.

Oh God WHY!

Author: raikonnen_arc from UK
15 November 2011

How to describe the characters and writing of this show. I think 'stupid' or 'idiotic' might cover it. The entire concept of the show, the idea itself is fantastic, unfortunately the writing staff have monologue'd the show into oblivion.

Without revealing too much, characters are repeatedly told not do to A, B or C, and then go ahead to do either A, B, or C with nasty consequences. Characters show barely any worry at the impending doom they may have, and don't seem to care until a zombie is actually in their eyesight. They continue with their mundane 'before' lives until in peril, then run around in circles flapping until one of the two 'saviors' go and do something about it.

Things that any ordinary everyday person would identify, and immediately correct are overlooked for multiple episodes.

Season 2 is contrived and under-budget, which can be seen with a 4 or 5 episode stint in the same location, I have no idea where the millions for these episodes were spent, maybe they are keeping it for later!

I have hope for the show, hope the writers gen up and kill a couple of major characters off. Give us something to worry about, make us care about more than one character. Please, save the show.

Walking Dumb

Author: moviemaster from sanfrancisco
25 October 2011

I don't know why I'm even bothering writing about this complete piece of nonsense. The first season was not very good, but I gave the second 2 shots...they're out. The plot is incredibly stupid.,, as are the characters. No group of people this dumb could possibly last in the land of the dead. They take off in vehicles which have little chance of making it down the road very far and they don't. If they are going to try and use the freeway, they should use ATV vehicles which can go else where also. Considering they are always just finding vehicles and also somehow finding gas, I'll bet Atlanta had better cars...they seem to abound. Then instead of trying to hide in the middle of a freeway, they could get out of the open. So, OK, they're dumb. They're caught. They lose a little girl due to the stupidity of that comic opera sheriff, who insists on wearing that ridiculous hat, as though it confers some sense of order, when there is none. When his son ask if "Can I go too Dad?" instead of telling him to stay home and guard the fort, he says "Sure," like they are going on a rabbit hunt... and gets shot. Then the dad gets all weepy and shows he has no more intestinal fortitude than the mom of the lost little girl, who's always moaning. His wife should be sheriff... at least she's got balls. And just how is it that this little house on the Prairie has never been attacked by the Zombies? Narry even a broken window. Ludicrous. But good they still have electricity so they can chill the milk that comes from somewhere, since they don't have any cows. What would HatMan do without his glass of milk and cookies. The whole plot stinks. It is one of the worst shows I've ever seen on TV... and that's saying something. I'm done... writing... and watching this complete waste of time. AMC has produced some great shows including Mad Men, but this is dreck.

Skip the Show; and Read the Comic

Author: lylewins from Canada
8 December 2010

This show is terrible. I could hardly watch it. The first episode has some good moments, like Rick walking out of the hospital and the performance given by the man who plays Morgan, but it all pretty much ends there in the first episode.

What made this comic so good was it's plot. The plot of the original is so intricately woven, unpredictable, and fast-paced that it consistently rewards anyone who sticks with it. It is aware of the zombie-genre and its tropes (not to mention basic story structure), and it time and time again challenges and defeats the expectations that knowledge has laid into us. In the end, you come to strongly identify with the characters, but not until they've earned it, which makes the bond you do form that much stronger.

This TV production does that work an enormous disservice as it trades in all of the comic's best qualities for really bad TV melodrama, depicting extended scenes of people being very dramatic in very uninteresting, unearned and predictable ways. While I get that there was likely concern that the comic directly translated may not pay off well enough in its dramatic punch, stuffing so much of this stuff in has led to a final product that feels like 90% filler, and only 10% killer.

If you like smart TV, stay away from this show. Save your time. If you want a quality new show from 2010, check out Boardwalk Empire instead.

Page 1 of 62:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]