IMDb > The Host (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Host

The Host More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 36: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Almost as good as the book

Author: Adele
1 May 2013

8.5... I think this is one of those films that you'll either LOVE or HATE.

Kind of like Twilight - vampire, or in this case, alien, falls in love with a human. Sci-fi romance vs fantasy romance. However, I can honestly say that this, the Host, is A LOT better than any of the Twilight films. To me it had more character to it and deeper messages and in general a better plot. It's not as good as the book though, since the book is written from Wanda's point of view and you can't translate everything into a film. Although a bit slow in parts, there were definitely worth while parts in it (mainly scenes in the ending though).

Totally recommend this to anyone but not everyone's going to like it :(

Pretentious and so, soooooo boring!

Author: markjohnevans79 from United Kingdom
23 April 2013

There are huge chunks of this film where nothing much happens other than people gazing, either into the distance or at each other. This is essentially Twilight with aliens with Stephanie Meyers trademark juvenile ideas of romance. Unfortunately this does not make for an interesting movie. In fact I don't even think it'll even appeal to the tweens who love Twilight so damn much (with the exception of those who are very limited in cognitive faculties). Some will argue that Stephanie Meyers is using the whole "alien and human host" conflict of personalities as an allegory for the feelings that people go through when in love. BS!!! Thats giving her too much credit. This is badly written, boring and predictable and the source material is to blame!

This is straight to DVD quality......

Author: CTCowell from United States
11 April 2013

I am a big fan of Saoirse Ronan. I believe her to be a great young talent with a bright future. But this movie is the type of teen drivel that ruins careers and makes promising teen actors and actresses fade into "where are they now" pieces on extra.

I did not read the book, andI am not reviewing the book. But good stories can easily make badmovies, ask Stephen King about that. I mean it when I say this is a DVD quality movie. Do not waste time going to see this in the theatre. I have 2 nieces about the target age for this film(12&14) and even they said it was drivel.

Do not waste money on this...

avoid at all costs

Author: shaneb1986 from Ireland
10 April 2013

this is one of the worst films I've ever seen in my life.I've never been to a movie where so many people got up and walked out.the story is incredibly drawn out and has the worst love triangle in film history.every time you think something is about to happen,it just doesn't!What they intend as humour is ridiculous,I've read better jokes inside cristmas crackers!it was such a waste of time and money.i wish i would have walked out 10 minutes in when i realised it was going to be awful.if they took all the millions they wasted,piled it up,set fire to it and filmed it,it would have been more interesting.it just shows that anything to do with anyone involved with twilight is going to be terrible

The WORST screen adaptation ever!

Author: Heather Allore (unimatrix0x@yahoo.com) from Sarasota, Florida
2 April 2013

I love to read. I have read hundreds of books and it always excites me when Hollywood decides to turn them into movies. Of all the books i have read, The Host, is one of my absolute favorites. Stephenie Meyer outdid herself with this one. The character developments, the main and sub story lines, the details in the description were all amazing. You feel deeply for the characters. You can feel the emotions between them, they leap from the pages into your heart. I was so excited when it was announced that The Host would be coming to the big screen. I waited, and waited for it. Then I went, opening weekend. Got my favorite theater seat, my concession goodies, and waited for the lights to dim.

WOW! What a disappointment! Now I understand that it's near impossible to take every detail from a book and put it into the movie. If they did movies would be 6 hours long, possibly longer. But I felt nothing for these characters. The relationship development between the wanderer and Melanie wasn't even there. The need for her to find Jaime, to protect him was no where to be found. Key characters were missing (Walter, etc..), important sub plot lines gone (Kyle finding his wife, etc..), the relationships the Wanderer formed while the boys were away with the humans was barely noticeable. The details surrounding the seeker and her obsession with the wanderer were completely lacking. The Wanderer in general was barely a character. Honestly, the only character that did seem to come to life on screen was Ian. And I think that credit should be given only to the actor. Bravo Jake Abel, you are the only reason I gave this movie any stars at all. I have never been so disappointed in a movie in all my life.

Stephenie Meyer how could let this happen to your work of perfection?

A Nutshell Review: The Host

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
31 March 2013

This is Stephenie Meyer's other book outside of her Twilight series, and what makes it a tad interesting is the science fictional element which is a spin out of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, combined with romance that only Meyer knows how to get through its convoluted best with love triangles, or rectangles now. It's a fairly troubled film project with directors coming and going, until Andrew Niccol, famed for Gattaca and In Time, came to seal the deal at the helm. Having responsibility to adapt Meyer's story for the screen, this and Saoirse Ronan's participation as the lead, will pique interest, at least at first.

What gave this film a leg up, is its science fiction premise. The resources of Earth are now being used wisely and perfectly, and voilà, the planet is thriving once again, reversing the pollution and muck that us humans have been responsible for. Homo-sapiens are still around though, but now our consciousness have been replaced by "Souls", alien lifeforms who thrive by co-opting the bodies of the planetary hosts, and given that they're peace loving, and scientifically more advanced with a penchant for all things chrome, and for standardization to cut waste - all cars are ferraris and bikes are ducatis - they are now rulers of the planet, with all that's left is to eradicate the remaining human beings.

Wait a minute, peace loving, and yet annihilation (through pain free means no doubt) going hand in hand? Yes, something's basically wrong here, but the narrative doesn't dwell too much on this. The aliens come with different roles and names that suit their functions, so it's left to Seekers (Diane Kruger) to weed out the remaining pockets of resistance, and in doing so we begin with the capture of Melanie (Ronan), whose almost dying body in a desperate suicide attempt meant the assimilation of the Wanderer/Wanda Soul into her body, only for Melanie to prove to have a stronger mind that first though, and so two minds inhabit the same body, leading to, well, as much clichés as possible.

Ronan probably have her work cut out for her, and she excels in her role of split personality really well. It's like Gollum talking to himself, except that here we're reliant on voice overs and her deadpan expression when Melanie becomes the one who's talking/thinking/directing the body's actions. Adversary is set up with The Seeker wanting Wanderer to dig deep into the recesses of Melanie's memory to fish out the hiding place of her rebel friends and family, while Melanie plays hard ball in trying to block those images out. As it progresses, having two minds sharing the same body meant something going to give, and in this case, it's basically schizophrenia as the two ladies for quite the perfect sisterhood in due course.

But to get there, here's where Meyer brings out the gravy train for her Twilight fan base. It's not enough to have two hot guys falling in love with one girl now, but having two hot guys falling in love with one girl possessing two minds. The conundrum here is of course the sharing of one single body, and like Siamese Twins, you really can't separate one consciousness from the other when things get a little bit frisky. While this may be a little bit of a situation to handle both emotionally and physically, how it played out tend to be unintentionally comedic, and this meant losing impact to the entire relationship between the characters, whom you won't feel much for, and only made worse.

The strengths of the film lay in its premise, but unfortunately that wasn't exploited much to build up the world that it's now is. Its focus on romance was inevitable, but this became the lowest denominator without real depth, and hankered much of the plot with cheesy dialogue and situations that bordered on the absurd, sometimes conveniently writing out the Melanie consciousness without any attempt at explanation, sort of like a light switch that can be turned on or off, with the switch controls being lip locks and plenty of caressing to elicit a response.

If only the same can be said of the film's less interesting bits. Max Irons and Jake Abel as the male lovers now become the rare flower vase whose presence were really rote and as superficial as can be, while Emily Browning's uncredited star appearance only pointed to the promise of a sequel if this could make decent amounts at the box office should Meyer's fan base turn up for the party. Even if Andrew Niccol was at his best, which he was not, couldn't have saved this one.

Stephenie Meyer's latest atrocity

Author: fy_nesh from Germany
19 April 2013

Stephenie Meyer is a one trick pony, and it is not even a good trick, its the romantic fantasies of a 12 year old girl combined with the depravity of a nymphomaniac, this time around she tries to give the characters more depth but still falls short of anything resembling a descent story, couldn't even finish this movie, its such a shame so much money spent on this crap while there are so many wonderful other stories that should be made into movies, Hollywood is a shameless harlot ho only cares abut cash.

De...Ja...Vu

Author: samuel-kaczmarek from United States
19 April 2013

The plot is recycled twilight with a twist of lime (aliens). I do love the paint Jobs on the vehicles though. I didn't expect much from this movie, but I did hope to be slightly entertained. Unfortunately for myself and any other sentient being who is subjected to this tired "love triangle" theme that I suppose comes with every Stephenie Meyer story the way ants come with a picnic, (breath)... its just vastly underwhelming. The overall premise is promising, but the best scenes happen within the first and last 10 min of the movie. A movie about a disembodied alien race invading earth when a host human begins to fight back... except, there's no fighting. Girl loves guy, girl loves other guy, "O-M-G!, like, what do I do, I like so so sooooo F-ing conflicted!" Perhaps I am being unfair... No I'm not. If you liked Twilight, I'm sure you'll like this. Because you're stupid.

Most films have 1 or 2 slow bits...the whole film is slow!

Author: arual1
1 April 2013

I was warned about the film being slow. I will have to bring more attention to this because I never realized how slow a film could possibly be. The Host is so slow that you could pause it and it'd move faster. Shouldn't such a long film warrant a thick plot that should be explained? Yes, but unlike the book, the film is extremely simple and suffers for it.

Spoiler: There's no sufferer of cancer. We do not see Melanie with her therapist and living in the alien society first, it skips it. Kyle does not get to develop. He does not seek Jodi (she apparently doesn't exist in the film) and have to be with her alien self.

So basically, we end up with a simple linear story that results in long moments of empty staring and breathing. I could tell other people were bored - they were on their phones for most of the film. I also disliked *sort of spoiler the actress at the end. I was so looking forward to seeing Jamie capture a sweet looking blonde. Then, explaining why as he did in the book. Nope, we just have a petite brunette with a weird looking face. Casting = bad. Where are all the beautiful people? The book promises a beautiful, innocent looking petite blonde with wavy hair who is too fragile to pick up heavy things, who people instantly warm to.

That was missing. My uplifting ending. It was kind of neutral, unfeeling, forced. Like the film.

The Host was terrible!!!

Author: ewells187 from United States
31 March 2013

Oh no they didn't! This movie does not belong in cinemas. It should have gone straight to DVD. The SyFy channel movie Serenity is a masterpiece next to this hot trifflin mess. There were six teenage girls about age 14 on the row in front of me in the cinema. About half way through the movie they all started texting their friends to let them know how terrible this movie is. You know it is a bad movie when the age group the movie is suppose to impress actually hate it. I can not believe that Lotus put their new Evora in this film. This film will not help sell those cars. Do not waste your money on a cinema ticket. Twilight is Oscar worthy next to this movie.