IMDb > The Host (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Host

The Host More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 35: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

this isn't earth when alien species take over our souls few survive to fight

Author: fernley-onna from united states
29 June 2013

this is a really really good movie little different than book really into it could watch it again and again definitely 10/10. i thought it wouldn't be that good but i was wrong its almost or way better that the twilight series. if you like science fiction its the movie to see, in love with the movie.i think it should of won tons of awards its Oscar and Grammy worthy.the actors are amazing,has a excellent story line.the whole movies intense fascinating couldn't move my eyes from the screen.it is action,drama and romance in one.i wold rate it the number 1 movie this year its.i was really surprised with everything.love the movie.definitely worth seeing

For every young filmmaker: How to fail

Author: Karsten J from Germany
2 June 2013

So I watched "The Host" or rather "Seelen" in a German Sneak Preview.

First thing, the dialog is one the worst I have ever heart. This can be explained by a bad translation. However, I doubt it. The movie is full of so many cliché one liners that the audience could hardly stop laughing. And this is sad.

If it wasn't for a decent production design, mostly great acting performances, and a beautiful credit sequence this movie would border Plan 9 From Outter Space level. In fact, I think the movie is so bad that the only persons I would tell to spend money on it are young film makers. Go see the movie, study it, and learn why it fails. And please don't not sell out and make the same mistakes.

Here are some of my humble insights:

- The editing does not give any chance to suspense. Sometimes I was wondering if the editor had the option between two takes at all. For example: one of the most important scenes in the movie is when Saoirse Ronan's character meets William Hurt's character for the first time. If I am not mistaken, we enter the second act or something and it is THE defining moment: Aliens and Humans meet for the first time in a friendly manner. This scene lasts just 5 seconds and we a meet a handful of new people withing 10 seconds. I mean you got a freaking William Hurt there. Give him some space and time, maybe a long close up and let his expression tell us everything. Ronan is an aspiring actress and should be given the chance to keep up.

- The script is awful as well. I already mentioned the dialog; unfortunately there is more. The ONE rule every writer can stick to when he or she does not want to screw up is broken - of course you can bend it if you know how. Never ever let a character say what he or she feels explicitly. Sentences like "I am mad at you!", "He seems to be annoyed." are thrown constantly in the face of the audience. It felt as if Niccol didn't think his audience would be capable of any empathy and that his actors wouldn't be able to show any emotions. Additionally, there were hardly any understandable character developments and plot points: sometime this guy seems to be mad for no reason then this, okay we need a small villain, let him look suddenly crazy...

- The whole movie is target way too much and in a very bad way. I am a 26 years old male. So I am probably not the target audience but my 24 years old girlfriend who is a Twilight fan - who knows why - and who read the book should at least be at the edge of the target audience. Now, I don't expect this movie to hit the target and everyone else such as Pixar's movies do but at least give the impression that you give something and not just take their money. This movie is about a girl who gets a second personality implanted. Both struggle with their body and the question "Who am I?". Most people in the audience will be 12 till 18 years old girls. Any bells ringing? This is the perfect setting for a different, refreshing coming of age movie. I don't claim that this is the most original idea but it is one of the many issues this movie could have dealt with. Instead, we see cliché after cliché and some hardly sexy times moments with no chemistry. Everything is topped with "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons at the end. That was the moment when I wished my tinnitus would ring up again which he luckily rarely does.

This is my very first review on IMDb. I wrote it because the movie made me sad. Unfortunately I was not sad because the movie was able to transport any emotions it was just awfully done despite a great foundation: decent basic plot, great actors, and enough money.

The only thing that made me happy was to imagine what a Joss Whedon would have made.

Open your mind and just go with it

Author: filgray84 from UK
19 April 2013

I actually really liked this film. Some clearly didn't judging by the low overall rating on here but I really urge you to give it a shot! I was sceptical after reading a few of the reviews but I decided I'd give it a shot and I was pleasantly surprised. Great leading performance from Saoirse Ronan, a very talented young actress and a whole bunch of pretty boys for the girls! Whats not to like?! So please, ignore the fools that have said its awful - it's certainly not awful! May not be your cup of tea but its nowhere near awful! I'd hate for anyone to miss out just cause somebody else said it was rubbish! So, watch this film, open your mind and just go with it and maybe, you'll be like me and really enjoy it!

Wrong Marketing for a Pleasant Romance

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
20 July 2013

In the future, Earth has been invaded by aliens that take over the human bodies with their souls to live a perfect life in a world without crime, violence or war and with the environment restored. However, a few humans still resist to the invaders and they are chased by The Seekers.

When the teenager Melanie Stryder (Saoirse Ronan) that belongs to the resistance is captured by the leader of The Seekers (Diane Kruger), the alien Wanderer takes over her body expecting to find where the human are hidden. But Melanie is still in her body and resists to the Wanderer and asks her to not tell to The Seeker what she has learned to protect her brother Jamie (Chandler Canterbury), her boyfriend Jared Howe (Max Irons) and her friends. Wanderer feels empathy for her and keeps the secret but The Seeker decides to put Wanderer in another body and take her body. Melanie asks Wanderer to flee to meet her friends in the middle of the desert.

When Melanie's uncle Jeb (William Hurt) finds her dehydrated in the desert, he brings Melanie to his hideout and calls her Wanda. He also protects her from a group led by Ian O'Shea (Jake Abel) but along the days, Ian falls in love with Wanda. Meanwhile The Seeker is obsessed hunting Wanda down in the desert.

"The Host" is a movie with wrong marketing that misguide the viewers that expect to see a tense or full of action sci-fi in the style of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and find a pleasant romance. The plot is developed in low pace disappointing a great number of viewers. But the story is actually beautiful despite the flaws.

The beginning is too rushed and there is a poor development of Melanie. It does not make sense why Jeb's group wants to kill Melanie when they find her in the desert if Doc is trying to save the humans removing the alien "souls" from them. If the aliens are so peaceful, why is The Seeker so evil? My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "A Hospedeira" ("The Host")

Immature & unentertaining

Author: drael64
12 April 2013

I wish I wad watched virtually anything else. The acting was largely very poor, the script/plot itself was largely simply a love quandrangle with a sci-fi basis (alien possession/parasites). Which might have still been okay, if the emotional energy, acting, and plot weren't so very childish.

It's basically more teen romance, it carries a tone, such that it may have been written by a teenage girl.

If your a teenage girl, maybe around 13 you might love this movie. Otherwise, don't waste your time.

I am not entirely sure what else to say. I guess if this movie where the only plot lined story on at 3am in the middle of the night, when you have insomnia, then it might be worth watching, if your quite bored and have little else to do. The special effects are good enough. The setting is semi-absurd.

The aliens themselves lack character, culture, definition, and the human characters equally lack emotional depth, character definition.

There seems to be little in the way of character development either, and the "conflict" that normally drives the storyline was pretty inconsistent, and basically non-existent, same goes for the resolution and climax of the story.

The Host

Author: veronique_depotter
21 May 2013

The host is a book written by Stephanie Meyer.I didn't read the book yet, but I will because the books are always better than the movie. The movie was really great and had a good story in it, so I don't know why it has such a low score. I like the title because it is what it says it is. A host. A soul in a body of someone else. The movie was great. You see the feelings and charateristic of both Wanda's and Melanie's. I liked them both actually. Also the love story's are great. There is not a lot of action in it, but I always wanted to know what would happen next. It was just me and the movie and that is what a like so much. I wasn't bored at all. It was so much fun to watch another work of Stephanie Meyer besides The Twilight Saga. It was something totally different.I think if you like this genre of movies, you should watch it. I recommend it to everyone!

Almost as good as the book

Author: Adele
1 May 2013

8.5... I think this is one of those films that you'll either LOVE or HATE.

Kind of like Twilight - vampire, or in this case, alien, falls in love with a human. Sci-fi romance vs fantasy romance. However, I can honestly say that this, the Host, is A LOT better than any of the Twilight films. To me it had more character to it and deeper messages and in general a better plot. It's not as good as the book though, since the book is written from Wanda's point of view and you can't translate everything into a film. Although a bit slow in parts, there were definitely worth while parts in it (mainly scenes in the ending though).

Totally recommend this to anyone but not everyone's going to like it :(

not so shameful, true to fans' expectations

Author: Karkat Vantas (saphiran-vadertot) from Antarctica
21 April 2013

Exactly as the title implies, The Host was true to fans of the book. It closely followed the storyline and little was deviated except in cases of artistic portrayal and cases where they needed to cut a little out to reduce runtime. Overall, this did not mess up anything that I could see.

Book fans, especially those of you who mentally watched the book while reading it years ago, will ADORE the movie and everything about it, as everything looks exactly like you probably pictured it in your mind. This was true for me, at least, right down to character appearance.

And to those who complained about the whole "Jared vs Ian" thing? Yes, that was crucial to the book. It took up pages of content, I assure you. No need to down rate the movie because of that!

I must reiterate: MUCH better than Twilight, MUCH better done, and much more realistic!

Why Many People Can Not See Real Values of This Movie?!

Author: Mr Brightsmith
3 April 2013

Why Many People Can Not See Real Values of This Movie?!

Personally, I've watched this movie three times in the first week and I really liked it, although I've never read the novel. People should know that this film is basically a science fiction drama, not action. If you're just looking action scenes, just watch GI Joe.

Seeing the results of the first week box office in the U.S. which was disappointing, I was afraid that the sequel of the film will not be made. I'm curious, where are the fans of this novel? Do they not know that this film has been released? Or the fans just want to look handsome man and romantic scene like in the Twilight Saga, without really liked the story and values of this movie? When I choose to watch a movie, one thing is for sure, I never care about ratings, critics or similar information. I just followed my instinct and personal taste.

In order to keep it simple, there are three things I love about this film is: 1. Saoirse Ronan as Wanda and Melanie. 2. The basic concept of the purest souls in the universe. 3. Radioactive (by Imagine Dragons) as the soundtrack.

Also there are three things that could disappoint me: 1. No sequel. 2. Ronan Soairse absent or dead in the sequel. 3. There is no happy ending at the end of the trilogy.

I highly recommend this film for anyone who wants to watch a movie with a unique value and acting from Saoirse Ronan. Before The Host, I am not a fan of Saoirse Ronan, even I do not recognize her name, although I have watched City of Ember.

A Nutshell Review: The Host

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
31 March 2013

This is Stephenie Meyer's other book outside of her Twilight series, and what makes it a tad interesting is the science fictional element which is a spin out of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, combined with romance that only Meyer knows how to get through its convoluted best with love triangles, or rectangles now. It's a fairly troubled film project with directors coming and going, until Andrew Niccol, famed for Gattaca and In Time, came to seal the deal at the helm. Having responsibility to adapt Meyer's story for the screen, this and Saoirse Ronan's participation as the lead, will pique interest, at least at first.

What gave this film a leg up, is its science fiction premise. The resources of Earth are now being used wisely and perfectly, and voilà, the planet is thriving once again, reversing the pollution and muck that us humans have been responsible for. Homo-sapiens are still around though, but now our consciousness have been replaced by "Souls", alien lifeforms who thrive by co-opting the bodies of the planetary hosts, and given that they're peace loving, and scientifically more advanced with a penchant for all things chrome, and for standardization to cut waste - all cars are ferraris and bikes are ducatis - they are now rulers of the planet, with all that's left is to eradicate the remaining human beings.

Wait a minute, peace loving, and yet annihilation (through pain free means no doubt) going hand in hand? Yes, something's basically wrong here, but the narrative doesn't dwell too much on this. The aliens come with different roles and names that suit their functions, so it's left to Seekers (Diane Kruger) to weed out the remaining pockets of resistance, and in doing so we begin with the capture of Melanie (Ronan), whose almost dying body in a desperate suicide attempt meant the assimilation of the Wanderer/Wanda Soul into her body, only for Melanie to prove to have a stronger mind that first though, and so two minds inhabit the same body, leading to, well, as much clichés as possible.

Ronan probably have her work cut out for her, and she excels in her role of split personality really well. It's like Gollum talking to himself, except that here we're reliant on voice overs and her deadpan expression when Melanie becomes the one who's talking/thinking/directing the body's actions. Adversary is set up with The Seeker wanting Wanderer to dig deep into the recesses of Melanie's memory to fish out the hiding place of her rebel friends and family, while Melanie plays hard ball in trying to block those images out. As it progresses, having two minds sharing the same body meant something going to give, and in this case, it's basically schizophrenia as the two ladies for quite the perfect sisterhood in due course.

But to get there, here's where Meyer brings out the gravy train for her Twilight fan base. It's not enough to have two hot guys falling in love with one girl now, but having two hot guys falling in love with one girl possessing two minds. The conundrum here is of course the sharing of one single body, and like Siamese Twins, you really can't separate one consciousness from the other when things get a little bit frisky. While this may be a little bit of a situation to handle both emotionally and physically, how it played out tend to be unintentionally comedic, and this meant losing impact to the entire relationship between the characters, whom you won't feel much for, and only made worse.

The strengths of the film lay in its premise, but unfortunately that wasn't exploited much to build up the world that it's now is. Its focus on romance was inevitable, but this became the lowest denominator without real depth, and hankered much of the plot with cheesy dialogue and situations that bordered on the absurd, sometimes conveniently writing out the Melanie consciousness without any attempt at explanation, sort of like a light switch that can be turned on or off, with the switch controls being lip locks and plenty of caressing to elicit a response.

If only the same can be said of the film's less interesting bits. Max Irons and Jake Abel as the male lovers now become the rare flower vase whose presence were really rote and as superficial as can be, while Emily Browning's uncredited star appearance only pointed to the promise of a sequel if this could make decent amounts at the box office should Meyer's fan base turn up for the party. Even if Andrew Niccol was at his best, which he was not, couldn't have saved this one.