IMDb > The Host (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Host

The Host More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 35: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

It is a must read book and skip the film .

Author: dmaire1221-222-44515 from United States
31 March 2013

Slow beginning with a real slow ending. You kept on waiting for the book to come alive and it didn't happen. The actor's didn't play their parts very well either .Except for Saoirse Ronan her acting was a good performance but not great like she was in her other films . There was a miscast of actors that killed the characters on screen but I can't blame it all on the actors. The script was lacking the sparks and killed the life out of this book. There were parts you just wanted them to move on with the scene. With a book as good as this one.It should have worked .I waited all month for this film to come out and I was truly disappointed. I wasn't alone because there were others that were saying the same thing when we were leaving. I gave it a 2 because there was a lot of room in the theater so I could pick a good seat. With a better cast and director and script writer this film would have stood a better chance. I just didn't believe in the characters that were in the book came to life. This book was so awesome and they should have taken more time to find the right actors to play the parts. Maybe some films shouldn't go to film but I thought this one would have been one of the great ones. I stand by the Book "The Host " it is a must read . So I wait for Myers next book and maybe a new film.

Good book adaption and also a good movie itself.

Author: felipeoa2124 from United States
6 December 2015

I would have given this a 8 but the rating made me put it a 10. I can't believe Rotten Tomatoes made it have a 8%. why so much hate to this movie. I will never understand. I personally like this film and how it is accurate to the book in most scenes. You know most of the book to movie adaptations are not too accurate. But this is my opinion. You have your own opinion. I have different opinions. Now go have a nice day. Well, i have something else to say. This movie isn't that bad. I do not believe Rotten Tomatoes and IMDb's ratings sometimes. THis certainly is one of the times that has happened.Good god the internet needs some improvement.

I had expected much more

Author: Ole Sandbaek Joergensen from Denmark
12 September 2015

I liked a few things of this, like the place of the rebels, that was a nice cave and tunnels scenery, the concept that all the seekers transportation options was in pure shinning metal an other visuals was also quit nice.

Unfortunately the story is a bit dull, if this should be the new Twilight teen thing, well I don't think they hid the spot. I like the concept of being trapped in your own body or co-existing with another life form and wanting to break out, but the way the conflict of such a shared body is shown is not very good, if Stephenie Meyer is such a resisting host as they make her up to be, she should have had more outbreaks in her body and not just a slapping hand at times. The voice over where she thinks something as the host and answers herself as the alien using her body is not really working out for me, it becomes a bit lame and then they try to have this scene where she is gone for a couple of days oh no what to do, then to kiss the boys and see if she returns angry, come on.

I had hoped for some more, at least the Twilight movies had suspense and surprises at times (didn't make them that interesting though), this is not really delivering any action scenes or any thrilling points, this is a long straight highway into the desert, nothing really happens, a few times you dose off and hit the gravel on the side of the road, but it never goes into off-road or make a 180 u-turn, its straight on with a few bumps on the way, it just becomes a bit boring.

Original, thought provoking film

Author: Susanne Brooks from Encinitas, CA (92024)
11 March 2015

I was hoping for an action film with a faster pace, and although it fell short in that respect, it certainly had my attention for the duration. Contrary to a few opinions I viewed, I don't think it was "corny" at all. Based on the idea of implanting another mind into someone else's, creating a dual personality, especially the pairing up of human and alien, conjures up a host of possibilities, pardon the pun. In this case both minds embedded in the girl's body kind of represents the stress most of us strive to deal with everyday, the ongoing dichotomy, should I or shouldn't I? It's kind of reminiscent of the Freudian theory where the id, ego, and superego are in constant conflict in varying degrees, struggling to come to a consensus each aspect of our personality can accept and live with, an inner peace. I find stories such as this to be more gratifying than your average he said, she said scenario.

Alien Invasion should never be this nice !

Author: paislene
21 June 2014

This is a quieter science fiction movie by Stephenie Meyer , who also was behind the Twilight Vampire movies . There is a little action , but it is mainly a thoughtfully driven movie , with Andrew Niccol directing who also did Gattaca , The Truman Show and In Time . If you like his work , you will enjoy this too . The Host is very well cast with good performances from everyone . Saoirse Ronan never looked more beautiful . But my problem with this movie is a science fiction technicality , and I will try not to spoil it here . The aliens are advanced millenia ahead of us and their complete acceptance of our backward technology did not ring true for me , so I hope that criticism wasn't a knife in the neck , but a whisper in the ear . Overall I enjoyed this and think it deserves 7.9 for the good performances .

Enjoyable Movie, with a nice end :)

Author: Abysoo from Egypt
28 April 2014

I wonder why this movie has less than 6 for rating, my rate is 9 and it could be 8, but as these actors are young and not super stars so i think they really did a good work here. For me, i like the movie and i think I will watch it again someday to get out of a boring mood.

I also find the end is sweet.

The cost is good, and i like Jake Abel and i hope to see him in a movie in which he is the main actor.

I advice you to watch it.

Don't pay attention to the negative sarcasm the movie gets because it deserves more.

A review from the other side

Author: mug wamp from United States Minor Outlying Islands
24 April 2014

I should not have liked this movie. I am not a twilight fan. I do like science fiction, but find the "invasion of the body snatchers" theme typically over-used... In spite of this I really enjoyed this movie. Why? Its a new spin on an old theme. Having a body taken over by an alien consciousness has been done before, but having a dual awareness, as a conflict between host and entity creates an enveloping situation which draws you into the story. At first I was wondering where could they possibly be going with this? And that is what draws you in.

Add to the mix William Hurt, a veteran actor who can do no wrong in any movie. Saoirse Ronan is very much a perfect fit for the role of the wanderer.

Its more intrigue than action. But the suspense is there, and questions you may have are answered as the plot progresses to its climax. The ending provides enough closure for a stand alone movie, or needing a sequel... perhaps.

Not awful but...

Author: haosstoposto from Bosnia and Herzegovina
14 January 2014

This movie hints at some interesting sci-fi themes but sadly it does not explore them. In the near future, entire Earth has been conquered by some alien parasites (called the Souls) from outer space. Most of the humanity has been taken over but in some hidden places, there are some unpossesed humans left. This plot reminds of „Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and there are some interesting problems here. First of all, it is never explained how the invasion took place and what happened. How did those aliens arrive on Earth and when did the Humanity realize it was under attack, if at all? We see that those aliens are surgically implanted into a host body but probably there is some other way for takeover. Were there wars against the invaders or the entire thing happened silently, which is hard to believe? Nevertheless we never see any traces of armed conflict or resistance, everything is suburban-peaceful. The aliens themselves (or at least,most of them) are reluctant to use violence so I wonder how did they manage to conquer a planet with 6 billion warmongering humans. Apparently, when a human body has been taken over by an alien, the original personality is irrevocably erased, but there are some people whose minds manage to remain in their bodies after the take-over. And that is a main plot for our story, our main character is so strong-willed that she remains in her body after the takeover and tries to find her brother. From this point we have some teenager love triangle, which I will not elaborate in detail but some parts of it are executed rather poorly. The conversation between a human host and alien parasite is strange and funny, but that is not a problem, at least not a major one. At some point in the movie, after we began to like our alien parasite, we see that those cruel humans are kidnapping peace-loving aliens and conduct medical experiments on them in order to find a way to remove the parasites from the host-bodies. But I must say it is unjust to present the remainder of the humanity as cruel after the horrible events of the invasion, which was never shown for exactly that reason. The writer tries to make those aliens sympathetic, but let us consider for a moment what really happened. We have a very serious alien threat which assaults the human soul itself, since after the take-over, the hosts memories die off. Billions of humans, fathers, mothers, sons and daughters have been violated terribly, the though itself makes me shudder in horror. To make a love story after such events is illogical thing indeed. Try to imagine the same thing in The Body Snatchers and you will realize what I mean. As for the cast, Saoirse Ronan is excellent despite the script, and it is always a pleasure to watch William Hurt on screen, he is such a strong actor. As for the rest, they are forgettable. All in all, this story has more potential for horror then for love.

Absolutely dire film and music

Author: johnguinan from Coventry, england
12 January 2014

What could have been a good premise for a sci fi film ending up being two hours of the lead character talking to herself in stupidly soft tones while the same crappy tune played in the background. I love films and thought I would give this a go with the girlfriend and my two 12 year old daughters on a slow Sunday night. What a mistake, I had to watch it until the end as my girlfriend was still vaguely interested in it, whereas my 12 year old daughters lost interest and wandered off. I can't actually think of any redeeming features of this film and I rate it as one of the worst films I have ever seen, and I've seen a lot. The so called "resistance" in the film were crap and their sole achievement of resistance seemed to consist of growing a bit of corn in a cave/mountain. In short, the dialogue was crap, the music was crap, the acting was crap and the story was crap. It's basically just the lead actress talking to herself in a really annoying soft echoey voice for most of the film. Avoid, avoid, avoid. Unless you are mental. Whoever gave this movie a 10 needs help.

Well-made film with some strange teen-target stuff in it.

Author: almo2001 from Canada
2 January 2014

So I'm on the plane, I'm bored. I look through the movies. I see "The Host" which is a sci-fi. Nothing else looks interesting. As I go through, it's pretty low-key, but with this weird obsession from the main character (who is about 16-18) about kissing. I want to turn it off in places due these cheesy bits. But I don't because it really is well-made. I'm thinking how some good filmmaker was told to aim this at teens.

On the whole, it was a pretty good movie, with decent pacing, decent character motivations, and some other good stuff. But with these cheesy bits. At the end, there it is: Directed by Andrew Niccol. He did Gattaca (one of the best sci-fi movies ever made) if you're wondering.

Then I look it up at home. < 35 on Metacritic, from a book written by the Twilight author. So there's where the teen-targeting comes from. Nice to see my intuitions while watching it were spot on.

So if you don't mind getting past the cheesy bits, you might want to see it. :)