IMDb > The Host (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Host

The Host More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 36:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

A good movie, an okay book adaptation

Author: Clarity K
20 April 2013

I have read the book before the movie came out, but ill give a movie review separate from my book ideals of what it should have been.

As a movie on its own, its good. Not great. They have a little bit of action, and when i say little, i do mean little (under 5 minutes). There are some chrome vehicles, modern looking bland clothing etc. This movie is really about what makes us human. With a love triangle. Not nearly as dominant as it was in twilight. A very interesting premise for a movie. The acting was great, I really loved Jake Abel as Ian O'Shea. Dian kruger added some depth to her seeker attitude. Max Irons I found to be the weakest actor of the bunch, some of his lines were delivered poorly ("so help me"), but what really ties the cast in is William Hurt.He ties them all together, and ads some charm to his cliché lines that makes him very likable. Other noticeable actors were Scot Lawrence (Doc) and Francis Fisher (Maggie), but neither were given the screen time needed to develop any sort of charter, although it would have been ve3ry interesting to see. Nice scenery, and nice shots. The music (and some scene lacking) was great and added a indie touch to it.

Now, based off the book this movie kinda blew it. it was extremely different, cutting out characters and adding things that never were. I personally felt that by making all the Aliens dress the same, drive the same vehicles took away from the depth of the battle between the resistance and aliens. They were supposed to be creative, and find individualism in human hosts, which was very lacking. Instead the movie went in the direction of aliens turning humans into one mass of boring un unique sheep. I also wish they had kept a few of Wanda's experiences from other worlds in the movie, even as flash backs etc. This movie lacked as a sci-fi, as all we see are humans with contacts. It lacked as a romance as her love interest was gone for most of it.

If anything its a good movie about : "what is considered human? a and how shall we react that makes us human".

Not bad, i enjoyed it anyways, and my husband actually stuck around to watch it too lol./

Great Movie to escape from reality.

Author: selbycd
21 April 2013

I have not read the book, so I only had a vague synopsis of the story from a movie trailer. After watching the movie, I want to read the book to discover more details that a 2 hour movie cannot possibly accomplish for such a lenghty novel.

I found the movie intriguing and well written. It captures the distinct personalities of both Melanie and Wanda, which could have been a disaster. It was sci-fi movie that explored many emotions and was a great escape for 2 hours. The cinematography was awesome from the desert scenes to the futuristic.

It is different from the "Twilight Series" and I wish people would not compare the two. Hopefully, there will be a sequel!

Worse Than Vampire Academy

Author: Madame Monster
20 March 2015

Why did they make another Stephanie Meyer movie?

1. The romance in this movie is terrible. I know nothing about these shallow teenagers and certainly don't care about what happens to them. What's even worse is when the human girl who's body has been taken over by the alien she starts talking to her and complains which gets very annoying. All we hear is her saying 'Yuck! Gross! Stop kissing him! That's my boyfriend!' That made me want to mute my TV. The other characters are lame and unoriginal.

2. For a movie about an alien invasion it's terribly lame. the aliens are some of the most nonthreatening aliens I've ever seen in any movie. They don't carry any weapons and all they want is a clean environment. I know in the movie we would have to give up our free will but this movie does a terrible job at showing the downfall to all of this. Which is frustrating because this has been done before. (Watch Equilibrium with Christian Bale)

3. Why does the alien Wanda agree to rebel? Is it because she wants to kiss cute guys? That's it? Also don't get me started on the ending.

If you want a good romance movie check through some the movies on IMDb. Same if you wanted an alien invasion movie. Skip this movie because it has nothing to offer you.

The Host has Soul

Author: arwinevenstarorks from United States
2 April 2013

The Host is a quiet, steady masterpiece. It had a lot of soul. Don't get me wrong: it isn't a perfect movie, it had its cheese...BUT I was amazed at how much I enjoyed it. The Host stayed true to the book. The Host had the stunning Saoirse Ronan (who played in Hanna, The Way Back, and Atonement) playing as Wanda/Wanderer, a Soul lost in emotional turmoil in our world. It was directed by Gattaca's Andrew Niccol who stayed true to Stephenie Meyer's visionary book. It made me question whose side I was on: the humans or the Souls. You should see this movie. While Saoirse Ronan is my favorite actress, William Hurt played Jeb perfectly. This movie made me question my thoughts on love, joy, and happiness.

Definitely underrated

Author: Farbod from Canada
19 April 2013

This is a smart movie and I really loved every second of it, I should admit that first 15 minutes of the movie is slow and you should wait...you will see how it gets you!! Trust me and watch this movie with all your sole, you have to listen and understand what is happening. This movie has beautiful scenes and amazing music, OMG the music just melts in you and you lives in there. Finally Saoirse Ronan just killed it, specially the way she tells the story, you are connected to the movie soon and enjoy watching it, I remember her play in "the lovely bones" she is more mature now and always she's been consistent and so talented actress. This is one of my favorite movies ever. 8/10

one of the best movies i seen as far as story

Author: siiixbox from United States
13 May 2013

its so weird that movies that get great review i usually dislike or just find meh, this is an other example, i watched yesterday "the host", in my opinion one of the best movies in the last year, yet it got terrible reviews, its been over a day and the movie is still in my head.. sure its not as flashy then oblivion, but those movies i watch and an hour later completely forget about it, $100000000 special effects are great, but no money can make up for a great story.. now sure maybe the book is better, but a book is ALWAYS better, get over it ;) its not a book, its a movie. the host became one of my favorite movies of all times

Full of bull"soul"

Author: melsishunney
14 April 2013

First off, this is not a movie for you if you really like the book. That said, this is also not the movie for you if you like good acting. I am a major fan of Saoirse Ronan, i think she is wonderful, but I struggled to watch this, even with her in it. The script was cheesy and the whole voice in the head thing was portrayed really weird. It felt to me like she had Dissociative identity disorder and I'm a fan of the books!! I dunno how else they could have done it, but i just found it a bit strange..

The whole love story felt really weak to me, maybe, as in the twilight films, because so much of the novel is inner dialogue, it's hard to show on film, as so make it really weak to see. I felt nothing for her liking of either characters.

The souls were wrong, I can understand the want for more action, but i hated it. They are too suspicious of everyone in the film, and there is a scene at the beginning of the book that was cut out of the film, where it's sort of explained about how the Souls work as a community, and it makes sense that Wanda can just walk in and take the groceries.

I fell bad for Meyer, the movie versions of all her books have been butchered. Yeah, i liked the twilight novels, and The host is one of my favorite novels at the moment, It's so well done!

So yeah, I'm not a fan of the film. Huge let down and just boring really. Sorry if this is a badly done review, i don't write many

Interesting

Author: mitchmitchell from United Kingdom
29 April 2013

Detachment is needed whilst writing a review for The Host, and this film makes it hard to do that.

The opening act of film deals with our main character Melanie sacrificing her life to hide knowledge of the whereabouts of her family from alien lifeforms who inhabit human bodies.

Unfortunately Melanie is unsuccessful in her attempts at suicide and her body is implanted with an alien life-form who calls herself 'Wanderer' (which gets shortened to Wanda later in the film) by the lead Aliens who now control all life on Earth.

Side-stepping the 'how/what/when/where' issues of an alien race taking over all 6 billion humans and the hoover-dam size plot-holes this conjures up after we see what the aliens look like, the actual feel of the movie is very good in these opening stages; with lots of great camera angles and wonderful blocking of the scenes with effortless pace. All of the sci-fi 'stuff' is really great to see and has a clinical-whiteness to it which is appealing to the eye. Only downside to this is some of the vehicles, which are a little too plain as they are recognisably current cars and motor bikes, just with a metallic paint-job. It is forgivable, as the vehicles are not relevant to the plot and are really just placeholders to explain/denote distance covered, but as they are so shiny it warrants a mention, if only to convey the attempt at continuation of style regarding the Aliens.

After the establishing act, the story moves speedily into the hub of the conflict; the Alien inside Melanie finds the soul of Melanie and her memories are still just below the surface and have partial control over the actions and inactions of the body. Melanie can also communicate with Wanderer and although initially tries to control her, finds the diplomatic approach easier and together they find common ground to help each other in their goals.

So...good sci-fi elements, good sci-fi premise (but not original) and good direction - where is the problem? It's the love story.

Never before have two characters (Wanda/Ian) been thrown together and fallen in love in such a short period of time. It was baffling to watch and completely disconnected me, because everything else in the film has a certain logical construct to it (contextually) which is paced out and built to a satisfactory conclusion, regardless of whether it is enjoyable to watch or not.

The star of the film is really Melanie/Wanda actress, Saoirse Ronan. She is one of those rare actresses who can really hold the attention of an audience, and is adept at being able to convey emotional states with the slightest change in her facial expressions. She also I believe is perfectly cast for this role as it required someone who could play a character which has another person's emotions deep inside her and can manage to display this subtly to the audience, but in just the right quantities.

I think Andrew did a great job with the film and the material, but it is flawed and it's hard to point fingers at anything but the script and the way it handled the whole Wanda/Ian moments, because when they confess their love for each other, it truly is hard to watch. If they had more scenes and more film-time to have their love grow organically, it would have worked much better.

Nice score by Antonio Pinto that really raises some of the scenes higher than most films would do given the same material.

I can recommend it as a sci-fi movie, in the classical sense of the genre - but find it hard to recommend it as a love story for the reasons given.

Watch it, but be prepared to have some form of detachment in some places, but not all and not for long.

Better than the Twilight Films

Author: steve beard (stevendbeard@aol.com) from United States
16 April 2013

This is based on a book written by Stephenie Meyer -if her name sounds familiar , she wrote the 'Twilight' books . The story takes place after an alien invasion has occurred . The aliens are called 'Souls' and they take over a human's body-kind of like in 'The Invasion of the Body Snatchers' . Most of the planet has been taken over but there are a few survivors left in hiding . Saoirse is taken over at the beginning of the story but she puts up a fight- when she is talking out loud , it's the alien and when it's just the voice in her head it's Saoirse . Diane plays a Seeker-kind of like a policeman for the aliens- that is after Saoirse . William plays Saoirse's uncle . Max and Jake play the love interest for Saoirse. Max likes the human part and Jake goes for the alien side . I can see this becoming a new franchise for Stephenie . It's rated "PG-13" for sexuality-no nudity- and violence and has a running time of 2 hours & 5 minutes . I liked it and would buy it on DVD .

A film that can be as good as you want it to be

Author: lauluisa from Estonia
5 May 2013

I haven't read the Twilight books or this one. I'm over forty after all. I have seen the Twilight movies, though. As for Andrew Niccol - Gattaca is one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen. And The Host rates way, way higher than those Twilights in my mind. There's none of the teenie-weenie chit-chat and bickering that really repulsed me in Twilight. And my question of why would a centuries old vampire prefer teenage girls was not answered there. This movie is different, it has none of the hole-filling that Twilight is filled with. Yes, the guys of the Love Triangle are pretty one-sided, but in a world with no education system intact one cannot expect everyone to be as well-read as Ethan is in Beautiful Creatures. I delayed watching The Host for a few weeks, as I was gathering my strength to suffer through yet another Twilight, but there was no such suffering - instead it was a very well-balanced film, that used minimalist - and Gattaca-like - visuals to describe a new world where body snatching has become mainstream. And it got me thinking: how old was Paul Atreides when he became The Emperor? OK, slightly older. But his son, Leto, when he took on The Golden Path? About the same age as our characters here. Oh, and what about Alexander The Great - how old was he when he had already taken most of the - then - known land as his real estate? Invasion of the Body Snatchers might be a benchmark to judge other similarly-themed movies by, but The Host rates quite high on my scale there. As for the casting, Saoirse Ronan was wonderfully present in my opinion and William Hurt is simply one of my favourite actors. Overall, The Host is about the "little things" like relationships and, as such, it is a film about us all.

Page 2 of 36:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]