IMDb > Fertile Ground (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Fertile Ground More at IMDbPro »

They ALMOST had it....

Author: Terry Roehrig II from United States
25 May 2011

I know... the poster says in theaters January 28th, but I have yet to see evidence that it actually was. Just because a movie goes straight to video does not mean it's a bad movie. However, this one is on many levels. It all starts out just peachy. Emily (Hailey) and Nate (Harold) are living in the city...Emily's pregnant, Nate's an up-and-coming artist.... life is grand. Then Emily has a miscarriage and they move to Nate's old family farmhouse out in the country without even an explanation. While setting up the new house, Emily comes across an old trunk and it's filled with Nate's ancestral heritage. Seems harmless, right? Wrong. Once she brings that out, strange things start to happen, she starts to see different things, yadda yadda, blah blah, I'm sure everyone is familiar on how stories like that turn out. Besides, I don't want to "spoil" anything for anybody, everyone should watch this movie and be plenty disappointed with it as much as I was -- it's only fair. The problem is not with the story on this one, folks. And it's not even the acting... no, this one has some other issues -- let's dive right in, shall we? Let's start off with the music/soundtrack. Just because YOU PLAY IT LOUD does not mean that I will jump or even feign being scared, OK? Many times I was struggling to hear dialog because the damn music was BLARING in my ears, what's up with that? Did a deaf sound editor work on this picture? Next... LOGIC. Simple logic, people -- please adhere to it. If someone dies at your place of residence while you're having a huge shindig, don't you think you would at the very least get ONE cop over there to question people? What the fu--- do they live in Mayberry or something? And lastly, predictable. I seen what was going to happen two miles away and I was on a winding road. It's a shame because the actors do the best with what they are given, the story is not bad at all and production values were really good. There are no special effects or makeup to go ga-ga over, so that's a non-issue. A satisfactory ending moved this puppy up a notch... but, not by much. Final Grade: C-

Quite a surprise...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
15 June 2011

The movie "Fertile Ground" took me by surprise. I had not heard about it prior to picking it up, so when I found out it was an After Dark horror series movie, I was pleasantly surprised, because they usually put out some nice movies.

"Fertile Ground" does not deliver any groundbreaking new storyline, everything here has been seen before. But still it worked out quite well, as it was nicely composed and put together. The storyline, shortly summarized, is: Nate and Emily Weaver are living in the city and expecting a child, when they suffer an unfortunate miscarriage. To start over, they move to an old house in a rural setting. It turns out that they have an unknown relation to the story of the house, and things start to turn dark and dire...

The movie builds up a lot of suspense and there is always something just lurking below the surface, which is good, because it makes you want to see more and know more. There is also a good amount of thrills and scenes that make you jump in your seat.

As for the acting in the movie, well it was mostly people I hadn't seen before, or at least can't remember having seen before. And the movie is mainly carried by Leisha Hailey (playing Emily Weaver). The people in the movie all did good jobs with their roles and their acting.

Having seen the movie now, and read some reviews here and there, I don't really understand why people shoot this movie down, because I found it to be a good horror movie. It has all the necessary ingredients to make a good horror movie. Despite it being nothing new and innovating, the movie has a good plot, good shocks and a good pace. If you like horror movies, then check out "Fertile Ground".

Unoriginal and Mediocre Collection of Clichés

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
18 December 2011

When Emily (Leisha Hailey) has a miscarriage of her baby, she decides to move to the countryside with her husband Nate Weaver (Gale Harold) to live in an isolated ancient house that had belonged to Nate's family. Sooner Emily is haunted and has dreadful visions of fiends and discovers that she is pregnant again. Further she learns that pregnant women have been murdered in that house and Nate is possessed by the evil spirit of his ancestor.

"Fertile Ground" is an unoriginal and mediocre collection of clichés. I do not recall how many similar films I have seen until today with practically the same story and clichés. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil): "After Dark: Semente do Mal" ("After Dark: Seed of the Evil")

Good all-around horror flick

Author: jamesm1068 from United States
21 June 2011

I must say that Gale Harold gives a really good and interesting performance in this, the other actors are OK, far better then what usually turns up in typical horror films. One thing I really liked was there are no stupid teenagers or slashers in here, too many horror films feel they need that to sell the viewer but not here. There is a few slow moments in the movie but overall it was really entertaining! It is more of a supernatural horror film, not too much blood and guts like most turn out to be, this one has it's scary moments without that and without being stupid or boring. It may remind you of a 70's style film, it has a twist with no CGI or crappy effects to get in the way of the storyline. I would recommend this to any horror fan who likes supernatural/ghost movies.

Boring, unoriginal... an all out waste of time.

Author: aloysius_predato from United States
28 May 2011

I'll start by saying, this has all the makings of a decent movie, namely acting and production value. Nevertheless, it fails on every other level, horror, suspense, artistic... whatever. It's not scary at all. The characters are dull and one dimensional, the story is uninteresting. I was so bored during the stupid thing. All these After Dark horror movies are the same. Still better than Fangoria Frightfest (which all are GOD AWFUL). Give me Piranha 3D over this tripe. At least stuff happens in that movie, and I only waste 83 minutes or whatever. If you have insomnia, rent this movie. It will get you to sleep, trust me. It got me to sleep three times. I finally finished it on the fourth. Oh, and the woman's voice will drive you nuts.

Infertile Movie that only gives birth to Boredom!

Author: RobertNewOrleans from United States
30 August 2012

Wow. Didn't the director encourage this actress to take a shower before showing up on the set? In a nutshell: An unshowered boring-as-hell woman walks around the house seeing things. She is obviously on and off her Thorazine because sometimes she seems sane to the viewers of this (cough) movie and sometimes she doesn't. For the most part it doesn't matter because the movie plods along with the speed of a Turtle on tranquilizers.

No spoiler alert necessary. The entire movie was spoiled by cheapo filming that looked like it was done with an old camera with videotape still in it. The actors (choke), as stated previously, all looked and acted like they were on a 7 day drunk and didn't shower. They did show up to film this movie. Big mistake.

Tip for you

Author: gaz1-540-393254 from United Kingdom
15 October 2011

I'm always on the search for new horror movies and they generally fail to make me finish the film and feel scared or, more importantly, think "that was a great film".

This one is just the same. I think if you're looking for some horror and have come to the expectancy I have (5-7/10 max), then this is OK to play something for the night.

My tip is simply... not to watch the trailer! Just like all crappy comedies, instead of all the best jokes being in the trailer... all of the jumpy parts are in the trailer. This makes it really lack anything in the fear factor!

Worth a watch if you want to watch a basic horror, but its nothing special.

Sorry to disagree; but, I very much enjoyed this film

Author: catfish-er from Orlando, Florida
29 September 2012

I rated FERTILE GROUND as high as I did purely on the outstanding performance of Leisha Hailey. She was genuine, gritty, elicited sympathy, reacted honestly, and just did an outstanding job.

Was the plot derivative? YES it was. But, how many horror movies are truly based on new ideas? Aren't they all derived from our own fears and experiences?

FERTILE GROUND was just another episodic adventure into the nightmare world of one woman.

It's been a long time since I've seen such a good performance; and, I really think Leisha Hailey carried the film. Her makeup, hair and wardrobe were perfect for a "relocated city girl." And, the setting was perfect - old house, lovingly updated; but, not too much so.

The maple tree was allegory for the deteriorating relationship between the two; and, the nightmare scenes blended reality, ghost, and dream just right. Nothing was over the top; not too many effects.

All around, I enjoyed this quite a bit. Better than most I see on the SyFy channel, that's for sure!

Never really got off the ground

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
17 August 2012

Fertile Ground (2011) Been on my watch list for a while,

Couple move to home after the wife losses her baby, then move they move to a new house, Then wife see strange thing start to happen around the house and husband dose not believe.

This movie felt like every other haunted house movie I have seen, I felt that didn't really got ground , this movie didn't not feel scary for one second, the whole movie was bit bland.

It could be really boring no real plot in the movie, it could the be really bad script (Half of it didn't even make sense or it could have been the really bad acting from everyone in this movie, i would say all of the above.

I wouldn't say the worst haunted house movie but it as got to be one of the most boring ones i ever seen. 4 out of 10

Nothing new, but really good!

Author: etsenberg
4 September 2016

Don't trust those low ratings. The movie is really good. Yes, it doesn't contain anything we didn't see before in haunted house stories. But well, the same can be said about classical movies of any genre. If you like the genre as much as I do, you'll probably like this movie. If you are looking for something very original, check art house, not horror.There is still an unresolved question in the end, if there really was something supernatural in the house or the woman just gone mad because of her stresses, coincidences and imagination. And yes, we've seen such open endings before, too. But again, I see nothing wrong in it. Just yesterday I've watched another movie with a similar plot - "Deadline", but "Fertile Ground" is better, in my opinion.