IMDb > "The Big C" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Big C"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Big C" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Absolutely Fabulous Slice of Life - And Death

Author: sczepanski_14
18 October 2010

I have watched all 9 episodes so far and can't get enough. I became intrigued with the concept while watching a Laura Linney interview on The Daily Show. It's often funny, sometimes hilarious, often sad, and sometimes downright heartwrenching. The characters are quirky, conflicted, don't know how to express their feelings, and are frequently nasty, self-involved, and make mistakes, while also being caring, noble, and giving, just like real people. The show takes a sensitive and difficult subject that is usually not discussed, and deals with it using a large dose of humor and the occasional portion of pathos.

Laura Linney's character has spent her life doing what everyone else has expected her to do, and hasn't a clue who she wants to be. She decides to try and figure that out before it's too late. I understand her desire to keep her disease a secret so that she gets to live as much as possible before she dies. She could "buy" the attention and understanding of her husband, son, brother, and others she cares about if she tells them about the cancer. However, then she would not only be surrounded by sadness and despair for her remaining days, she'd be suffocated and everyone would assume the cancer is the cause of her behavior when in reality it is merely the catalyst.

I watch a lot of shows that I like, and many that make me laugh; but few touch me as this show has. Sometimes the image in the mirror isn't the prettiest person in all the land, but this is about learning to be comfortable with - even love - what we see. To do that, we first have to see the true image, not the one we think we should see or the one we wish we saw.

Death Comedy Jam

Author: ween-3
19 August 2010

Laura Linney, like her idol Meryl Streep, is just a model of consistent brilliance. If on nothing but the strength of her performance alone, "The Big C" is poised to be a big deal. Solid job of exposition in the pilot episode. All the main characters are immediately up to speed. Anyone whose life has been brushed by cancer (which is to say, everybody) will recognize the issues and identify with one or another of the characters here. From all initial appearances, this looks like it's gonna be a keeper.

Don't take Kreskin to figure that Linney's heading straight back into Emmy consideration for this role. On the basis of the first half-hour, she's delivering another of her patented fully realized performances.

Okay, Showtime. You had me at "hello". Gonna strap myself in and go for a ride with Ms. Linney and company.

Bittersweet pieces of life

Author: gpalac from Spain
28 September 2010

"The Big C" walks on the thin line. Comedy and drama, love and lack of love, sweet but in the end has to be bitter. The creators and producers have to be talented if they want to walk that way and till now they really are. Laura Linney is simply great. She always is, but now is more than ever. She makes the situations easy to be watched because the subject is complicated and can hurt a lot. But instead of suffering with it, we enjoy everything what's happening: we smile, we feel. Feeling, being touched by honest emotions, is something you don't get all days, not in shows and either in real life. "The Big C" doesn't deserve only a good chance, it deserves the fidelity you give to big shows and this is one of them. Try it and you won't regret it.

A New Series with a Controversial Subject

Author: gradyharp from United States
17 August 2010

THE BIG C started this week as a Showtime series for television opposite the controversial WEEDS in the late evening, subjects for mature audiences time slot. Most viewers will have mixed feelings about this first episode, so loaded with new characters with whom we have little time to understand, all edgy, and yet all surrounded by the unifying theme of how one woman deals with being told she has Stage 4 Malignant Melanoma but who decides to not inform anyone of her diagnosis, instead going after the outrageous way of living that has always been foreign to her obsessive/compulsive teacher personality.

There are few actresses who could pull this off: Laura Linney, one of our finest actresses on the screen today, is the perfect choice for making this unbelievable character credible AND charismatic. As Cathy Jamison, she is married to a bumbling irresponsible joker Paul (Oliver Platt, again an actor in the top echelon) who is currently out of the house over some disagreement with Cathy, and is mother to naughty boy Adam (Gabriel Basso), lives across the street from a elderly curmudgeon Marlene (Phyllis Somerville) with whom Cathy finally agrees to accept and to like, is a sister to a freaky psycho brother Sean (John Benjamin Hickey), is attended by her diagnosing just-fresh-out-of-residency naive physician Dr Todd (Reid Scott), and carries on teaching a classroom with bored students, including one sassy, arrogant and overweight Andrea (Gabourey Sidibe). Life is full of surprises and they pop by so quickly that we barely can tell where the series is going. As for this viewer, though not impressed with the structure of the show, staying around for the pleasure of watching Linney and Platt will be worth it - hopefully!

Grady Harp

Worth a look!

Author: katherine17 from London
5 June 2011

I first checked this show in September 2010 and I was slowly becoming addicted. Now I am waiting for a second season and actually counting days. This such a little show, but totally politically incorrect which makes it unique. One of my favourites. Makes you laugh hard and even cry sometimes. Another great thing aside from great writing is an excellent acting. No wonder Laura Linney won a Golden Globe this January for her character. I loved Phyllis Sommerville and Oliver Platt too. Not to mention young Gabriel Basso as Adam. Also the guest stars Gabourney Sidibe, Idris Elba & even Cynthia Nixon made such a great work here.

Check it out guys!

Loving this "as a show" so far

Author: jlkap from United States
31 August 2010

I'm not being eccentric when I say this but Showtime continues its streak. It takes these really delicate and wacko subjects and somehow makes light of them in a humorous, creative and entertaining way. I only wish that Dead Like Me got more of an audience - that show rocked.

Anyhow - only recently becoming a Laura Linney fan, this is her finest acting to date. Saw her in other movies and was just icked out by her. In this role she's just incredible and carries the show singlehandely. Her homeless brother and the fat girl charity case definitely add to the fun - but Oliver Platt's character and the son could use some human side to them...there's a selfish and childish factor that at some point need to change or else the show goes sour. I'm unsure if I'm with the "her not telling people" thing. I can make a case for it and against it. But it's just weird. It makes for an entertaining show -especially her chemistry with the chick from Precious - gotta love her. Perhaps the writers added the "not telling" thing as lead up to jumping the shark and want to keep it going as long as they reasonably can.

Not being a TV writer I don't know but the show's got me hooked and 30 minutes isn't enough.

I love it

Author: markymcmarkson from United Kingdom
10 March 2011

Its pretty much bi-polar. in one half hour episode i go from like pissing myself laughing to wanting to cry to cringing about 7 times an episode.

I mean seriously Laura Linney is one of the best actresses i've seen in a TV series for a long time. The characters have such complex relationships which would be too much for a 90 minute film but is great for a TV series.

So i guess overall I love this so much. its my new favourite programme. It makes me sad that she's gonna die. I hope they get a few series out of it first.

Again, Showtime has a winner.

Author: dadofkyra-1 from United States
16 August 2010

From the pilot I just watched, this show has an embarrassment of riches. Laura Linney is excellent as Cathy Jameson. She Plays a woman that has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer, and expresses a plethora of emotions. Oliver Platt as her husband is less defined and is the biggest reason I gave the show an 8, but I'll give the writers the benefit of the doubt, because an actor of his status will add tons to this role if they just give him some latitude. John Benjamin Hickey who plays Cathie's eclectic brother is also under developed but I just have a gut feeling he is going to be great. Based on these three characters the show shows great promise. I could go on about all the sub characters, but give it a chance watch the premiere and get to know them.

a show about the laughter and emotions usually and not usually involving cancer.....

Author: Nathan Vinson from United States
18 December 2010

from the start of the show, where you see a who lives a boring life, teaching slacker kids summer school, to later throughout the season helping people to make sure they can live life better than she did after she passes, the epic conclusion of season 1 with her son crying (he never once cries throughout the first season).

this is the life of Cathy Jamison (played MARVELOUSLY by Laura Linney), a middle aged straight-edged woman who learns she had stage 4 melanoma in the pilot.

she soon starts to live a crazy life and do (some times humorous) things she had never done before, almost a bucket list of sorts...

she also helps people along the way, like her seemingly bratty middle teenaged son (BRILLIANTLY played by Gabriel Basso) be prepared for the next chapter of his life after she passes, to an overweight student (played by precious' Gabourey Sidibe) who she wants to help lose weight, to the seemingly crabby old lady across the street(Phyllis Somerville), whom she develops a close friendship with, to the idiot husband (played by Oliver Platt) whom you see has an amazing heart and finally her tree hunger nature loving brother John Benjamin Hickey who changes his idiotic ways.

from the start of the pilot to the ending of season 1 I was there for the laughs and the emotional moments of one of the BEST shows on television this season.

now I will admit this show is very emotional to me at times because I had two family member I care(d) deeply about go through cancer, with one losing their battle, so I cant not think of them when watching the show, but I still think its emotional, and definitely recommend it to anyone that has either gone through cancer in some way or want a show with fabulous acting by a wonderful cast.

Great Show

Author: tanishia-allen from Canada
26 November 2010

I happened to come across this show because of a marathon airing on Canada's movie channel and I must say this show is fabulous. Cathy a character you cannot help but fall in love with. Her character gives you hope and lets you see the lighter part of hard situation. I love how she's involved in the aspect of everyone's life and how she's such a caring woman even though she has her own problems. It shows the different emotions of various characters.

This show is well written, cannot wait to see whats in store for next season. This show will make you laugh and will make you cry. Definitely worth watching.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]