IMDb > "Bones" The Gamer in the Grease (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Bones: The Gamer in the Grease (#5.9)"

"Bones" The Gamer in the Grease (2009)

« Prev | 92 of 245 Episodes | Next »

Ha

Author: jchory-2 from United States
6 December 2009

I think it is very funny that Joel Moore, who stars as Colin Fisher in Bones, and in the this episode wins the tickets to Avatar, is in Avatar. He plays Norm Spellman. Obviously Avatar isn't out in theaters yet, but when it is I wonder in "Spellman" will be a similar character to Fisher. I kind of hope he is.

I just think it was clever, and wondered if anyone else picked up on it. I haven't finished this episode yet, but it looks pretty good. Also thought it was funny that Temperance wouldn't look at the body until all the flesh had fallen off.

Anyway, Avatar looks like a great movie.

Want to see my tattoos?

Author: ctomvelu1 from United States
5 December 2009

B&B investigate the murder of a letter carrier whose remains are found in a large tub of used cooking grease. Turns out the mailman was also a champion video game player of an old-school title called "Punky Pong." Could the video game thing have anything do to do with his slaying? While this is going on, Hodgins, Sweets and the hippie intern whose name always eludes me are planning to see AVATAR together, and must hold their place in line. Complications ensue, among them being a sweet young thing who latches on to Sweets while he's holding the place in the AVATAR line, and she insists on having sex with him. Conveniently, the boys have set up a pup tent in the line. But Sweets is conflicted, even though the girl has some swell tattoos across her breasts. Back the ranch, the boss is mystified by the boys' abrupt comings and goings. A funny episode indeed.

Too much Avatar not enough Booth

Author: prtfvr from York, PA
5 December 2009

This must be the episode that David Boreanaz missed time from due to the flu. Not only is he white as a sheet through out, he's barely in it which was really disappointing.

The guys waiting in line for a movie was a funny idea - if it hadn't been a shameless (is there worse word than that? Prostitution?) plug of Avatar. It felt so forced and there was WAY too much of it. It actually changed my interest in seeing this movie which was guaranteed until I saw this episode.

I liked the woman with the tattoos. She was pretty funny and I'm glad that they didn't go with the tired old ploy that she would steal the tickets. She added a lot to what was otherwise a tedious promotion.

As an aside, either Cam never changes that blue sheath she was wearing or they discovered the body and solved the case in the same day. And why was Angela mad at Hodgins for having that tattoo? She should have been apologizing for her crazy father - profusely.

There wasn't much of Bones in it either. More of a supporting cast episode and while I do love the supporting cast, the best part of the show is the constant banter between Booth and Bones. Since that was so painfully lacking, I'll stick with my thought that this is the flu episode. It makes me feel better.

Although I have all the seasons from iTunes via season passes and have watched all of them over and over again - more than I care to admit - I don't think I'll ever watch this again mainly because of the hour long Avatar commercial. I'd rather have seen a ten minute commercial for the movie in the middle of the episode than all the pandering to James Cameron. I don't think he needs the help on this one.

I didn't think that anyone could force product promotion more than Kay Jeweler's and Jane Seymours Heart Pendant when they spent an entire night last year on NBC shoving it down our throats in every series (including My Name is Earl with Crab Man giving Joy the necklace) but this is pretty close. I hope that this trend gets nipped in the bud before it ruins otherwise perfectly good shows.

You know what? I had given this a 7 but I'm changing it to a 6 and after today I shall never speak of this episode again.

Love Bones other wise and can't wait to see Emily's sister, Zooey next week - Finally!

Cameron has no shame

Author: mr_kilpatrick from Bethlehem PA USA
5 December 2009

It would appear that James Cameron sponsored "bought" this episode! All of the shameless plugs for Avatar through the entire episode. It would seem that the entire episode was written around Avatar. Which the name for me is a sticking point.

As I understand it Cameron used the name Avatar and now Shyamalan's project can't use it even though he was into production first. I do understand that Cameron finished first and can then use it, but I feel it's a dirty trick.

As for this episode I feel it was really poor because of having to work in all of the Avatar stuff. BTW "do you like my tattoos?" I thought that was funny.

Blatant advert for Avatar

Author: ally micklegammit from United Kingdom
26 September 2013

Bones has often been very bad about embedded adverts, (especially when it comes to vehicles - Cam talking about how she's using Angela's car because it has more room, Bones telling Booth about how her car can automatic park, etc) - all mini-adverts within the story itself.

This is one of the worst examples of embedded advertising I've seen for a while. It isn't just a scene explaining why this particular brand name thing is a good quality product, but in that the entire sub-plot is an embedded advert for the film Avatar, including several conversations with them literally standing around watching clips of the film and talking about how much they have to see it.

It's annoying, distracting, and not funny at all. Mostly just teeth-gritting.