IMDb > The Sunset Limited (2011) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Wow!!!

Author: JFarrar697 from Houston
13 February 2011

I've never felt so compelled to write in on how I feel about a movie until I had experienced "The Sunset Limited" last night on HBO.

I was really moved. I actually burst into tears at one point.

Two men having a philosophical debate about life and death and the idea that knowledge is a burden, and the more we know, the more miserable we become is one point of debate in this powerful film. Some of the best writing and acting I've seen, anywhere.

Multiple viewings may be required for most to fully absorb the impact. A real punch in the gut.

I actually felt like dusting off my old Bible and thumbing through it for a while when the movie ended.

I don't know what else to say about this movie except that if you have not seen it yet, you MUST. It makes so much sense and it is a real eye opener.

McCarthy is genius. I love all is work and this is just an absolute masterpiece of writing.

Tommy Lee Jones and my man Sammy L. are absolutely mesmerizing. I have not seen acting this good in a long time.

There is so much I want to tell you about this film, but words just cannot do it justice.

I loved every second of this film, and I hope you do to.

P.S.- I NEVER give a movie 10 stars because I like to reserve that honor for something that is truly special. This is truly special.

The Sunset is not Limited

Author: Darren DeBari (darrendebari@mindbreak.net) from United States
12 February 2011

Two men trapped in a room with their opposing beliefs. The words of Cormac McCarthy. The direction of Tommy Lee Jones. The powerhouse combination of Samuel L. Jackson and Tommy Lee Jones. Two actors. One room. Big Ideas. Emotions run high. The essence of Drama is Conflict.

This 90 minute look at two men's opposing beliefs is strong and will resonate with the viewer long after it is over. It's the story of a man who wants to end his life and another man who wants to save it. What rings true is the direction of Tommy Lee Jones. It gels so well with the words of Cormac McCarthy.

These two actors gel even better making it all the richer. Jackson has the flashier role where Jones plays his complexly understated. If any actor could raise your heart rate by talking it's Sam Jackson. His character's belief in God is sincere and matched with Jones's dark, realistic view of the world.

Speaking of realistic-Don't go looking for a neat ending. This film stays true to it's subject matter and these actors stay even truer to their characters. Jones, as a student of theater and literature, knows as a director to let the words live and breathe. Because he does Jackson and him make a monument out of two chairs and a table in a small room. This sunset is anything but limited.

Superb, all-around...

Author: scooterdude17 from United States
13 February 2011

Right off the bat, this movie is a great watch for anyone, no matter what they believe about life, death, or what's next. This movie does an amazing job of addressing theological philosophy without alienating anybody. These are things we all think about, whether or not we've come to any conclusions.

The acting and directing are terrific. Couldn't be better. The writing is good enough to make it worth reading the play by itself.

In the same way that a really good "sports movie" can be deeply moving to people who aren't exactly sports fans, this movie will be deeply moving to people who aren't necessarily into thinking about God, death, or the afterlife.

If you're wondering whether or not to watch, rent, or buy this movie; do it. It's worth it.

Touched like never before

Author: Jonas Jiang from Sweden
17 February 2011

I'm 24, live in Sweden and I consider myself rather cultural. I have a big interest in movies, music, photography and such. In that context I have seen a lot of movies.

This is the first movie that have ever made me cry.

My fantasy was running wild during the hole 1½ hour, and I wish it would have never ended. I had thoughts and ideas about the outside world, the characters and I lived in the movie like never before. I wanted so many things to happen so badly like it was happening to me. The dialog blew me away and I have never seen acting that good.

Best movie I have ever seen.

p.s. I am an atheist. and still am.

A deep movie, for a specific genre of viewers

Author: Yassine Guennoun (y.g.jigsaw@gmail.com) from Fez, Morocco
26 March 2011

It's a debate about the meaning of Life. a mind blowing movie for specific viewers. If you don't like films depending only on dialog .. Don't bother watching it! (I mean movies like "The Man from Earth").

On the other hand, if you are interested in Philosophy, that maybe the movie of your dreams.

This film is also a fight between two of my favorite actors ..the superb Tommy Lee Jones and the furious Samuel L. Jackson.

I loved every second of the film, and I'm really looking forward to watch it again very soon.

P.S: If you are going to watch it, please sit down and focus because the movie requires a lot of attention to every discussion.

Like Kubrick's 2001, this is a movie about content and... containers.

Author: Julian Left (julian.left@gmail.com) from Romania
25 February 2011

What a powerful and emerging film that depicts the two opposing sides of this universe. I was really surprised by the quality of this "little" film. This isn't a movie about two people talking in a room about random stuff. This isn't a film about two life-travelers that engage in an ongoing argument about the human condition. This is a film about the quality of life. Not the meaning of it but the quality. The details in it's design. The true valor's clockwork.

The duality of belief, as a general term, is analyzed completely in this great approach of the Cormac McCarthy novel in which the two main protagonists, "named" simply Black (Samuel L. Jackson) and White (Tommy Lee Jones) are debating over a serious and dangerous issue. "White tried to jump in front of a train and Black came and saved his ass. He carries him in his apartment and tries to put some sense into this White dude." Right? Not really. "The movie also promotes religion and is an ongoing boredom that I completely despise." RIght? Not really again. This has a greater meaning than just that. We live in a world filled with pathetic lies, corny truths, raised flags over white buildings and big letters over or on the dark ones. We live in a world where prostitution is legalized even in the cultural state of the society. We live in a world where rejection, where pain, where slavery and failure are common attraction to the atrocious tourists. We are hoping to free the world from the hands of the manipulators and selfish dictators, we organize revolutions, we fight for freedom but in the end we all get trapped in the same positions as we were before. This is what this movie is about. It's about the ongoing fight carried to win our faith back. Faith, science, culture, logic, mathematics, metaphors, feelings, achievements... They are all the same. They are contents, ingredients and thoughts that the humankind must have in order to survive the greatest threat of them all. The threat which is not the monetary system, the threat which is not the harsh reality, the threat which is not the solely figurative place of the man in the world, but the threat that is represented in the lack of faith in ourselves. We are our own guides because we rule this world. This is why this movie has captured my attention completely. It's not a masterpiece, it's not a grand scale picture, it's not a studio banking option, it's not even part of the best films in the last years but... at the same time... it's simply great. I loved it because it really balances amazingly well the truth revealed along the film with the denouement. They are identical as both form and content.

I also liked the little details like the black coffee, the text erased at the bottom of the Bible, the absence of TV and radio, the lockers on the door and not to mention the biggest detail of them all... the room. Just think about the room vs. everything else. Order vs. Chaos. Even in a messy world we could find order...

Going further to the execution, the story is well structured, the dialogues are haunting, the clichés are gone because even if you find them they tend to leap by the end of the film, the acting is impeccable and the technical aspect of the movie was a comfortable surprise. It's exactly what the film needed. I can't talk too much about this film because I don't want to enter into the details... I just hope people could see what a good movie this really is. I'm pretty sure few movies captured my attention as this one did. Like Kubrick's 2001, this is a movie about content and... containers.

Amazing

Author: killer1h from United States
20 February 2011

It is my deepest pleasure to review this movie. Have you ever wondered what would happened if god and the devil sat down and had a conversation about the true state of the world? This is a movie where exactly that happens, only instead of god you have Samuel L Jackson arguing for the side of faith, and Tommy Lee Jones arguing for the side of suicide, now heres how the movie goes, it takes place in one room where they go back and fourth discussing the merits on religion, the state of the world as a whole, the human condition, the future, and about a dozen other topic. At first glance this sounds like it would be a dull movie, trust me its not. If you like actual conversation and true dialog this is the movie for you. 10/10 for finally making a movie thats as real as real can be.

A movie that lingers, in a good way

Author: thekarmicnomad from United Kingdom
27 November 2011

The concept of this movie is almost impossible to sell (two dudes talking in a room) if that is an automatic switch off for you then give this a miss, have a good evening.

It almost was for me but as the two dudes in question are Tommy Lee and Samuel L, I thought I would give it a shot; glad I did as I was instantly gripped and before I realised it the end credits were rolling.

The two perform an elegant dance of dialogue, Samuel's character from the slant of a straight shooting, Southern ex-con who has found Jesus and Tommy as the depressed, over educated nihilist.

There is nothing groundbreakingly new here. The discussion follows paths we have all considered, is there a god? could anyone bare living forever? But the two are masters at their trade.

This is an excellent film, if you insist on car chases and explosions to enjoy a movie (nothing wrong with that) then steer well clear. Otherwise give this a go. It won't change your life but will definitely affect your week.

A shining example of story telling

Author: Charlie Alejandro from United States
21 February 2011

This movie with Samuel L. Jackson and Tommy Lee Jones transcends us back to a time when movies relied on the deepness of story lines and not on special effects or loud soundtracks. This movie takes us to the extreme test of our faith, in what we believe about the seen and unseen. It also reminds us that at times we are so busy trying to save others we forget to save ourselves, and sometimes almost become lost in the process. The acting talent of Mr. Jones and Mr. Jackson makes for a powerful movie and leaves us evaluating what we ourselves believe. Tommy Lee Jones' directing style makes you feel as if you are a third person in the room being an observer to the debate that transpired between both characters. If you need to be amused by bells and whistles, this is not the film for you, but if you enjoy film making at its purest form, with deep plot lines and dialogue this movie is a must see as these characters will haunt you long after the lights come back on.

Tommy Lee Is Great In This

Author: accountcrapper from Bhutan
27 February 2011

This is a truly good film. If you like thinking about life, death, suicide, God, the state of man - then this is a film for you. This film offers an intense dialogue between Mr.Black and Mr.White or two opposing sides of an argument. Tommy Lee Jones plays a cultured intellectual secularist and Samuel L. Jackson plays a violent uneducated ex-con who found salvation in God and Bible.

I really just wrote this review to applaud the performance of Tommy Lee Jones. He is almost unrecognizable in the role. He seems to have totally assumed the character. Samuel L. Jackson plays to his strengths. Sometimes Jackson comes off as a bit cartoonish or like he is playing a caricature of himself but usually it works.

Excellent. Like a stage play.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]