IMDb > After the Waterfall (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

After the Waterfall More at IMDbPro »

Sad but moving

Author: inspired-kiwi from New Zealand
2 October 2011

I haven't written a review on this site in quite some time, but after reading the only existing user review on this title to date, I felt some balance was in order.

The previous reviewer suggests the film is largely about the central character's wife cheating on him, but nothing could be further from the truth. After his daughter goes missing the film follows John through the stages of grief as he struggles to cope with a life he doesn't recognise. His wife cheating and the subsequent break-up of their marriage is just one piece of a much bigger picture. Antony Starr is fantastic in the central role. He has a great ability to express emotion subtly yet powerfully and this fits perfectly into the quiet nature of the film. In the end, the film is a story of hope - that no matter what happens to you life goes on and if you just hang in there for long enough that time, while it may not completely heal, will give you some distance with which you can start to rebuild.

Overall - A Moving Film

Author: Jonathan Thompson from New Zealand
3 October 2013

Don't be put off by some of the 'Shortland Street Grade' acting by a few of the cast, the film on a whole is quite moving and thought provoking. The young girl that was cast who goes missing was adorable, which makes her disappearance all the more distressing for the audience. The three major incidents: the disappearance (the waterfall), the affair, and the dementia add up to give the lead male a Job like experience to overcome. The movie avoids some of the grief clichés like the table clearing and house destroying outbursts and the wife never verbally blames the husband for the disappearance. This leaves room for the audience to try and interpret the subtleties of the leading husband and wife's actions and comments, who both give wonderful performances.

What was the point.

Author: blue141 from United States
16 July 2011

The whole movie was just about the main characters wife cheating on him with the cop who investigated his daughters disappearance. Yes his daughter did disappear at the waterfall, got that, but the rest of the movie was it seemed just about the cheating that went on. This movie was a waste of time as far as I am concerned, sorry I watched it. It left a bad after-taste so to speak in my viewing experience of it. Kind of like when milk looks good, but is rotten when you drink it. The only thing I really did like about this movie was the new baby that was born. She gets 10 stars, the movie itself, minus 20.I am also sorry the first daughter disappeared. I actually liked her Dad, but the other two just didn't make me happy to look at them.