IMDb > A Bag of Hammers (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A Bag of Hammers More at IMDbPro »

A Very Enjoyable Story about Growing-Up and Becoming a Family

Author: JustCuriosity from Austin, TX, United States
18 March 2011

A Bag of Hammers was very well-received in its world premiere at Austin's SXSW Film Festival. Writer/Director Brian Crano has delivered an excellent first feature film that mixes comedy and drama. The script and the acting are first rate. The film tells the story of how two young thieves who don't really grow up until they are confronted with the responsibility of dealing with an abandoned child. It is a story about how family is extends beyond what we are born into to what we construct from bonds of love. The plot is believable and charming. The characters are delightfully human. In a world full of poorly-written and acted Hollywood blockbusters, A Bag of Hammers is the type of independent film that we need more of. Hopefully, it will get a wide theatrical release.

A fantastic accident!

Author: Bill McCarthy from Dallas
14 March 2011

I showed up entirely too early to the theater for a screening at sxsw and went to see A Bag of Hammers completely by accident. The movie was fun and painful, enticing and hard to watch at some times. I was all over my seat with different emotions throughout the entire screening. The movie starts out very fun and eventually "grows up" so to speak and becomes a whole other vessel. The cast is fantastic and has supreme chemistry. I will recommend this movie to everyone I can and will go see it when it eventually opens in my home theater, just to get the experience again! The cast and director were fantastic at the screening and I can't wait to see what this fantastic group come up with next! See this movie as it tours the festivals!

Author: Ingrid Digre from Norway
15 June 2012

I've never felt the need to review a movie before, but I absolutely loved this movie and as it finished I just wanted to tell someone to see it! As it's Friday night and all my friends are busy at the moment I'll just have to tell you guys: Go and watch this movie!

I'm not going to say anything about the plot, the trailer covers just enough, the viewer understands what it's about but there are still surprises along the way in the plot and emotions that comes up. I highly recommend this movie to anyone. If one of those who made this movie happens to read this; Thank you. You made my weekend.

A superb movie suitable for everyone!

Author: rtaron from Canada
17 June 2012

So far the rating on this movie is so low - that is NOT because it is not a good movie. It combines the bro-movie with a real look at the financial circumstances so many are suffering today. Both male characters are a gentle combination of quirky losers who decide to take on a young boy who is going through hard times much as they did.

Jason Ritter is such a pleasing actor, his nature and humour shine as the young man whose brother's death informs his aimlessness. Jake Sandvig is an excellent match, if you wanted to find a flaw perhaps they were too much alike, but personally I found it believable. Rebecca Hall, playing Jason's sister, is the voice of sanity - but not always right. Chandler Canterbury as the young boy is wonderful - all you would want in any 12 year old but prematurely old due to his life circumstances.

Done with a beautiful subtlety and restraint, this is one of the best movies I've seen of this genre in a long time.

Beautiful film, brilliant soundtrack!

Author: maisiedraper
10 July 2013

Really lovely storyline, well acted and genuine, I absolutely loved it. It wasn't what I expected and the advert really does not do it justice. I would recommend it to anyone. It also has a truly stunning accompanying soundtrack and I would highly recommend just listening to on its own. Its a very gentle film that doesn't pull its punches, its truthful and as the film goes on and the story starts to pull together you really start to realise how beautifully thought out it all is. It touches on the themes of neglect, a badly run welfare system and the horrible cycle of poverty and unfairness. Totally uplifting it made me cry twice! This film really does not get the credit it is due. Watch it and recommend it to all your friends!

Soo good, I really really liked the ending which ...

Author: kaysild from Cape Coral Florida
15 February 2013

Most movies lately have had weak endings! But not this one it was really awesome. I don't watch much TV so I usually do a lot of research I guess would be the correct term, haha, on every movie I decide to watch. And I only write a review if it was awesome or awful, this movie was worth watching. It starts off a little slow and is somewhat confusing on what exactly is going on, but not enough to annoy, just enough to want to continue watching and find out what it's about. I definitely recommend watching this, however don't go into it expecting anything out of it, just be open minded and take it for what it is and you'll enjoy it

Quirky and Deep

Author: meghensley20 from United States
19 February 2014

I was first drawn in by the poster to watch this film. A friend of mine had recommended it and I thought I would give it a chance. I was looking to watch a film that made me laugh and cry, and this is exactly what this film did! I am a fan of Carrie Preston and Rebecca Hall as well. I am now a fan of the other actors as well! Everyone fit their role so wonderfully! The plot moved along very nicely and I was surprised to find myself so emotional after I had just been laughing at something in the prior scene. I wish there were more independent films like this. A wide audience can identify with each of the characters. A beautiful film.

Makes You Think

Author: armandomontelongo715 from United States
23 May 2013

The thing that makes me connect with independent films is that they make you think. Hollywood blockbusters just don't seem all that poignant anymore. For this reason I am glad that Netflix suggested A Bag of Hammers to me. It tells the story of two lifelong friends whose bond was developed over hardships in childhood. To make ends meet these two have a very lucrative career as con men. Their lives and friendships are tested when they inherit an orphaned boy, a boy in whom they see a lot of their own struggles of youth.

I really connected with the cast and was genuinely touched by Jason Ritter's speech on the Bag of Hammers that is in the film. It had the perfect feel for a modern independent film with a modest budget, realistic locations and important message that tackles modern-day dilemmas. It is a unique take on the coming of age story, not just for the orphaned boy, but for the two con men who must finally come to grips with growing up.

would have given it 10 but ...............

Author: zif ofoz from United States
25 August 2012

first - watch this movie! it is a must see for anyone who is a fan of independent art cinema. i was captivated from the start.

each actor pulls their role off to perfection. the plot line is compelling. and no, i do not believe the two lead characters are gay. anyone who can claim otherwise has never had a close personal friend. their relationship is based on like minds with one goal - they called it 'the plan'. until a third partner shows up and brings their conscience selves to the forefront.

why only 9 stars then? well please watch the movie and pay extra attention to the little boy in the automobile with the social services agent. was that a wish for the future by the little boy or was it flashbacks? the time line there became confusing for me. but so what! this is a marvelous film!

Quirky tragic comedy with a big heart

Author: OJT from Norway
27 March 2015

It's so great to be surprised by a film you guess is just OK, and then it turns out to be a real gem. The title is just what it is - A bag of hammers. A depiction of life when it's not on the sunny side. This film is like what Tom Waits would be, if he was a film.

Two best friends, living on the edge of the law after having a rather bad upbringing, still have both brains and hearts. They notice th little neighboring boy on 12 which has a similar upbringing they had. A smart, cute kid, which is very much neglected by his "bad mother", which is poor, out of job and depressed. One day they realize they have to take action.

The film is definitely from the shadow-side of life, and you may expect to shed more tears than laughter. Well payed by all involved, the film slowly steals your heart, and makes you think what life is all about.

The film manages to be funny as well as serious in a very rare way. The actors manage to make this both believable and rare. Recommended!