IMDb > Witchville (2010) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Witchville (TV) More at IMDbPro »

SyFy Saturday Flick Better Than Expected

Author: elliott78212 from United States
23 May 2010

Now let me explain I'm giving this a 6 because when it comes to SyFy Channel movies they usually get a 2-4 yet this one had a bit of something different. While the actor I expected to deliver a good performance was only OK (Luke Goss who was so great in Hellboy II) acting by everyone was good, well not counting Sarah Douglas who was well just campy. Now as for the Movie some interesting action scenes & special F/X kept the movie going though dialogue bogged this movie way down. Not many movies are made of Swords & Sorcery so I had my pop and snacks ready watched the whole thing and found it a nice change of pace. Filmed in China some scenes are beautiful. Lots of visual F/X that play well even if they had budget constraints the director worked with what he had making the most of it. I never heard of him before but apparently he has a cult following with a film called Gene Generation. In an interview I googled he discussed putting himself well into the project determined to make a quality film to that end he did considering his budget and a poor script. A stand out was Eragon's Ed Speelers who has grown up a bit and was really kinda funny in the movie. The movie is a mixed bag (well what syfy movie isn't) at times slow, with odd fight scenes at times fun to watch and enjoyable overall if you can record it and skip the commercials you may like it more...until next week when Syfy will no doubt bless us with yet another Saturday Original flick Nuff Said

A very decent Sword and Sorcery Flick

Author: LeatherCajun from United States
19 June 2010

If you like that sort of thing. The production qualities are quite good. The acting is quite good. The music is quite good. The plot is identical to dozens of others. A fantasy medieval kingdom is threatened by takeover by an evil power. Brave heroes and heroines must fight and suffer and die to place the rightful good king back on the throne.

This movie offers more in the way of shirtless tied up guys, women with swords, cross-bows, etc.

If you like this sort of thing, this is a good version of it.

In my opinion on par, and certainly better in terms of acting, than "The Sword and the Sorcerer" or "Kull the Conqueror." The mood is rather consistently dark throughout, which I liked. Not the joke-y-ness of many similar movies.

Lame, Boring and Messy Adventure

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
11 September 2011

In the Middle Ages, Erik (Andrew Pleavin) and Jason (Ed Speleers) seek out his compatriot Malachy (Luke Goss) and force him to return to his homeland. When they arrive, they find that Malachy's father, the King, is dead and their lands are completely devastated.

Sooner the witch hunter Kramer (Simon Thorp) meets Malachy and tells him that a coven of witches led by the evil the Red Queen (Sarah Douglas) is the responsible for the destruction of the crops. Malachi teams-up with Erik, Jake, Kramer and four warrior-thieves to find the Red Queen. But the witch is very powerful and the skilled warrior Jozefa (MyAnna Buring) protects her.

"Witchville" has promising storyline and synopsis, and the DVD has a nice cover. Unfortunately, the film is a lame, boring and messy adventure with poor special effects and acting. When the viewer (me) takes a nap along an adventure of the fantasy genre, something is wrong. The verbose plot associated to the low-budget and soap-opera conclusion makes the film painful to watch. Further, Luke Goss is too week for the lead role of a king; MyAnna Buring is gorgeous but also weak for her important role of a warrior. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil): "Caçadores de Bruxas" ("Witch Hunters")

Very Impressive

Author: abominablebro from United States
24 May 2010

This movie was a rather large improvement from Syfy's usual Saturday night original flicks. The visual effects were some of the best I have seen in one of these low budget movies. I especially liked the atmosphere and lighting that was portrayed throughout the film. It gave a little bonus to the enjoyment. The acting was very good, not just from the main cast, but from the whole cast. There were a couple of scenes with some interesting music that fitted the scenes very well. The ending was nothing special, but it wasn't lazy either. Overall the film was well worth the watch and won't disappoint. I enjoyed the movie a lot and plan to watch it again the next time it airs on Syfy channel. Look for the T.V. guide, people!

Classic lame, boring horrible effects syfy channel movie

Author: daletheminoltaman from United States
9 July 2011

This movie is just plain awful, not fun awful, not funny awful, just AWFUL! How someone could give this piece of trash more than 1 star is beyond me. Horrible effects, zero plot, even worse acting makes for the perfect mix to create a classic syfy channel movie. It is a real shame that syfy cranks out these stinkers, I love scifi movies, fantasy movies and horror movies so the syfy channel has potential to be a great station but yet they insist on cranking out these pieces of trash on a regular basis. Syfy movie has become a synonym for bad movies. There are so many great low budget scifi and horror movies out there, I will never understand why they insist on creating messes like this instead of spending a little time to find good low budget movies to broadcast.

MY rating for this movie is -1.5 out of 10.

Not too bad for a Syfy production...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
2 October 2012

When I saw the word 'Syfy' appear on the screen, I immediately raised my defenses and thought 'oh no, this is going to be one of those movies'. As you might know, if you are familiar with Syfy Channel's previous works, then they have a habit of putting out some fairly questionable movies that tend to be lacking proper special effects.

However, "Witchville" actually surprised me in a good way. Well, aside from the poor choice of title for the movie, then Syfy actually managed to pull this production off quite nicely.

The movie has a fairly alright story, although it was quite predictable and not really bringing anything innovating to the fantasy genre. And actually most of what was in the movie have been seen in other similar movies. But still, "Witchville" worked out well enough.

What really impressed me was the production value that Syfy had upped and put into this. Especially the costumes and wardrobes, that was just brilliant work. I liked the armor and all the detail they had put into those. However, I just didn't fully understand the obsession with skulls, almost every armor and outfit was adorned with skulls in one way or another, even the king's armor had a skull on the shoulder piece of his armor, that just wasn't proper attire for a king. Skulls are associated with death and evil, and shouldn't be adorning a king's armor. But aside from this skull-fetish, then the armors and costumes were just amazing.

And as for the special effects, well Syfy isn't exactly known for their million dollar investments on the CGI side of movie-making. However, the effect that they put into "Witchville" were actually nicely executed and seemed to work well enough on screen. Don't expect to be dazzled out of your seat, though, but it is a great step up the ladder effects-wise for Syfy. So thumbs up on that account.

The people they had cast for the various roles were also working out well enough, most of them anyway. Personally I think that the lead by Luke Goss should perhaps have been cast differently, as he was not a particularly strong actor in this movie. The movie was really carried by the performances of MyAnna Buring (playing Jozefa), Sarah Douglas (playing the Red Queen) and Simon Thorp (playing Kramer).

I am a huge fan of this particular fantasy genre (perhaps because of my 26 years of playing Dungeons & Dragons), and I did enjoy "Witchville". So you might ask why I only gave it a 5 out of 10 rating? Well because the story was somewhat of a mess, there were a lot of dead ends in the movie and the coherency of it all was just overall blurry. The movie lacked a proper red line to follow, and as such, the end result turned out to be somewhat jumpy and half-hearted.

"Witchville" is well worth a watch if you enjoy this particular type of fantasy movie, just don't expect too much from the movie in the story department.

And thumbs up for the people behind the design of the DVD cover, because they really buffed it up and made the movie appear much more interesting that it actually turned out to be. So as the saying goes; "don't judge a book by its cover".

Not a bad SyFy original

Author: sane1216 from United States
28 May 2010

SyFy movies are a dime a dozen on Saturday nights and this one has a decent and original story line. There are no big blockbuster effects and no deep philosophical plot twists or ideologies. It's simply a sword and sorcery fantasy movie with tidbits of action here and there. Taking it for what it is keeps it in perspective. Those individuals who will think its "apallingly bad" are individuals who can't look past the low budget presentation of the film, although this one isn't that low budget in presentation.The acting is decent for a SyFy movie, the effects are decent, fight scenes decent and setting decent. Again it's not your top of the line straight to the box office film....take it for what it is and stop trying to be the newest critic on the block. We have enough of those.

This review is mostly written to counter one of the complaints given in another review. The following may contain spoilers: The story showed Jozefa's (MyAnna Buring) conflict with her mother, the Red Queen from the Red Queen's initial introduction. So the fact she found out the King is her brother along with the fact that she's taken a liking to the King's best friend is the catalyst for her betrayal. Not to mention the King's best friend talking her down.

Oh Boy!

Author: Unimatrix_Zero from Australia
4 August 2011

Another turkey! Should be rated Fantasy/Humour/Sleeping Pill. With due respect to a previous reviewer I don't agree with the mantra that it's a TV movie therefore don't expect the standards to be high. Why not? There are MANY TV movies which are probably better than cinema release stock.

The same old repeated clichés, jumps, twists turns, a storyline I've seen on numerous other occasions. Nothing that helps me to like OR dislike the characters.

The best piece of acting came from the witch who was burned in the first quarter of the movie.

Nuff Said

Pretty darn good for Syfy...

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
25 May 2011

I have made no secret of disliking Syfy's output in general, but despite its awful title Witchville is actually one of the better ones in my opinion. Granted the title is really quite naff, the story is rather standard and didn't particularly surprise me and while I admired its ambition the dialogue is often quite weak and stilted. However, I liked Witchville. The production values are surprisingly not too bad for a low-budget movie, the sets and costumes look as though they were constructed with care, the scenery is beautiful and the effects are more consistent and less crude, the standout being the hellhound attack which did have me biting my nails. The sword-fighting scenes are efficiently done and nicely choreographed, the direction is competent and I too loved Jozefa's stylish entrances. The music is pretty tolerable too, while the acting while far from award-worthy is decent, especially MyAnna Buring. All in all, despite its weaknesses for me it is one of the better Syfy movies. 7/10 Bethany Cox

Witchville: a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to stay there...

Author: misbegotten from United Kingdom
15 April 2011

Sword & sorcery movies are usually set during a fabled, bygone age, in mythical kingdoms populated by dragons, wizards, orcs, goblins, elves and the occasional unicorn. However, from late 2009 onwards a new wave of fantasy/action films has emerged, supposedly set in the 'real world' during medieval times, and depicting witchfinders, knights and Crusaders battling against witches and a demon or two. Examples include SOLOMON KANE, DARK RELIC, BLACK DEATH and SEASON OF THE WITCH.

Commissioned by the American Syfy channel, WITCHVILLE (awful title) appears to be an attempt to adapt to this new trend, while retaining most of the trappings of more traditional fantasy fare. Prince Malachi (played by Luke Goss) returns to his homeland after several years away, to discover his father the King is dead and the kingdom is stricken with plague, drought and famine. Learning that a coven of witches are responsible for his nation's plight, Malachi joins forces with a crossbow-welding witch-hunter and a band of warrior-thieves to locate and kill the coven's leader, the Red Queen (Sarah Douglas), unaware that he's actually being stalked by the Queen's lethal enforcer Jozefa (MyAnna Buring).

WITCHVILLE's storyline contains no surprises and it is clearly a low budget film, but every penny can be seen on screen, with impressively elaborate costumes and weaponry that seem to be inspired by those in the games ASSASSINS' CREED and WORLD OF WARCRAFT. The movie also boasts effective sword-fighting sequences and more-than-competent direction: Jozefa's entrances throughout the film are especially stylishly handled.

A common weakness in Syfy Original movies is the quality of the CGI effects failing to match the ambitions of the script, but thankfully that's not the case here. Special effects are mostly limited to the Red Queen and Jozefa hurling balls of energy at opponents, and the biggest CGI setpiece - an attack by hellhounds - is conducted with real flair.

The cast all do what's required of them, without any real noteworthy or stand-out performances, although Buring radiates a particularly strong presence as she prowls through the movie like a red-cloaked Angel of Death.

In conclusion, WITCHVILLE is a solid and worthwhile, if unremarkable, addition to the sword & sorcery genre.