IMDb > "The Cult" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Cult" More at IMDbPro »

Atmospheric and spooky

Author: robjack1 from New Zealand
13 October 2009

I'm only 3 episodes into the series as I write this, but I feel the series is building in mystery and suspense nicely. I thought the first few episodes were a little slow, but I'm intrigued to see what's around the corner. It's a great script, with some fantastic actors. It's shot superbly too and looks fantastic (especially in HD).

I think the music score is brilliant. It's so atmospheric and spooky, and really helps build the tension throughout. The music is atmospheric and subtle.

All in all I think The Cult is turning out to be a fantastic thriller... I'll keep watching for now.

Recommended viewing.

So far, So good

Author: Calypso0132 from New Zealand
24 September 2009

I've just finished watching the very first episode of 'The Cult'. I had no idea what to expect, other than the obvious - that it had something to do with a cult. As it started, I could only see it as yet another corny, empty drama. However, after the first 10 minutes, it started to brighten up - and I soon found myself immersed in the story. I enjoyed it quite a lot, and I look forward to the next episode. Plenty of cliff hangers, which can be both a good and a bad thing - but all in all, this is a good change of pace for drama shows in NZ. The acting isn't great, but it isn't as bad as a lot of other NZ shows. I would recommend this if you don't take it too seriously, because if you do, you simply won't enjoy it. 6/10

Like the Curate's Egg

Author: largelyhappy from New Zealand
23 September 2010

It's good in parts and I agree that it starts slow but it's well worth sticking with it for the scenery alone (although that makes it sound as if nothing else is worth watching. I don't mean that, it is)

Actors some New Zealanders know and love, mainly from soaps, feature here which makes it interesting locally and the tension level is maintained by some good cliff-hangers.

I don't agree with another reviewer that the acting is terrible, though some of the script can verge on the corny but who takes this sort of thing entirely seriously anyway?

I have a vested interest in this series though, I own one of the white coffins used in the series :-)

Slow and not nearly as clever as it thinks it is

Author: gary seventeen from sydney
11 October 2009

I'm a big fan of unfolding the story/ back-story as you go along style of drama but the unraveling is happening so slowly in The Cult that I'm finding it pretty unengaging. So technically the series looks great, the performances with a few exceptions are fine, but the pace of the story telling is killing the story.

There's some good stuff in there but it's so snuggly wrapped up in the 'mystery' that it's hard to watch. Too much set-up people.

Also the music is all wrong- if only they'd gone for something warmer... it would have been a lot more watchable. It's a small thing but I think it makes a huge difference.