IMDb > "Boardwalk Empire" The Ivory Tower (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Boardwalk Empire: The Ivory Tower (#1.2)"

"Boardwalk Empire" The Ivory Tower (2010)

« Prev | 2 of 57 Episodes | Next »

Improvement over the Pilot episode

Author: Red_Identity from United States
28 September 2010

Boardwalk Empire's Pilot was pretty disappointing to me, simply because it felt over-stuffed and moved too rapidly to engage us with it's story lines. However, fortunately, the 2nd episode The Ivory Tower was an improvement.

The episode still had some flaws, it still focuses sometimes way too much on the style of the period without being engaging, but for the most part, the 2nd episode was much more enjoyable, and a much rounder episode as a whole. I think that Michael Pitt's storyline will become more and more engaging, and I think both Stuhlbarg and Shannon are also the best performers. Those three cast members have so far been the most compelling. Kelly Macdonald is a great actress, but her accent is too heavy, but again, she was better in this than the Pilot. Steve Buscemi, the star of the show, is still interesting, but he is becoming overshadowed by Pitt. I think Buscemi is again a great actor, but his portrayal is not compelling enough to warrant me to love this show just yet. However, after this strong episode, the series will become better with time, which is what I predicted for another great new show, Rubicon.

This Boardwalk Disappointing **1/2

Author: edwagreen from United States
26 September 2010

I was very disappointed with this segment. It seems to have been disjointed and certainly was not a worthy continuation of the first part.

The scene with the African American maid being asked questions was quite degrading. This was all in the name of saying sarcastically that this is the kind of woman who would be voting. Wouldn't minority women still be disenfranchised due to obstacles such as passing a literacy test or the poll tax?

Jimmy seems to be all over the board in this episode. Already, the bureau is suspecting that Nukki Thompson is the big fish to catch in this ongoing series regarding crime.

Mrs. Schroeder seems to have guilty feelings as she wants to return the money to Nukki. All he wants from her is that she vote Republican. What's his deal with the Republican Party? Only time can tell on that one.