IMDb > Videocracy (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Videocracy More at IMDbPro »

Not Michael Moore, Michael Less

Author: claudiaeilcinema from Italy
7 September 2009

"Half cooked" should be the kindest expression to describe this attempt at revealing something we all know. There is no real depth or cinematic wit here. An opportunistic denouncement of sorts is all I think this is. The real problem is not Berlusconi's power but the power WE have allowed him. We are the problem, we're not victims of some sinister plot but the willing participants of a shameless spectacle. Berlusconi and his ilk couldn't have grown and progress in a Country with memory and pride instead he's going to go wherever he wants to go because we're making it possible. "Name me another Italian that has accomplished what I have accomplished" Berlusconi tells us and we don't say a word, not a word! The terrifying moments dedicated to the self confessed "Mussolinian" Lele Mora seem a work of fiction. He has a fascist little march illustrated by images of swastikas and Mussolini himself in his cell phone. And Fabrizio Corona? He indulges in a full frontal and on pearls of wisdom such as "Robin Hood took from the rich to gave to the poor, I'm the modern version of Robin Hood, I take from the rich and keep it" yes, this is the Country we live in, the Country that gave us Dante and Michelangelo. Oh God!

Nothing new for Italians...

Author: SinkAndDrown from Germany
17 September 2009

Well, I must say I expected more from this movie after having seen the trailer. The documentary is quite slow for all the 85 minutes, and lacks explanations: why most Italians base their information access on television? how did the private TV channels owned by Berlusconi became so big? We just see the beginning 30 years ago, and the situation now... how was the evolution in between? Basically the movie gives just 2 examples to explain the result of the cultural change gained in the last years by Italian television: first the simple guy working in a factory who drams of getting on television; second is Fabrizio Corona, who is basically an asshole paparazzi gangster, exploiting famous people to own money and become famous himself. In my opinion this movie puts some light on the situation Italy is in, avoiding going deeper to the roots. It would have been easy to tell, show, explain and discuss much more... that's why it's just 5/10.

Overrated audience?

Author: Hannes Olsson
19 February 2010

This documentary sets a lot of demand on the audience. The number one complaint I hear is that the documentary lacks in information about the different subjects encountered throughout the film. This complaint, however, might just be a bit of an empty can rattle since the idea of the film obviously isn't, as opposed to a say Michael Moore-style documentary, to give a clear black/white picture of a scenario. Instead, Gandini tends to leave his videocratic exclamations hanging freely letting a steady stream of question marks trickle by.

Instead of underrating me as the kind of viewer who demands simple answers to everything right there on the screen (e.g. short cartoon style animated clip, complete with sarcastic touches, of Berlusconi gaining power) Gandini sees his opportunity to leave me and the audience hungry for elaborating facts. In my case, and I feel I might not be alone here, I found myself grabbing for my smart phone just minutes into the movie googling up all the people and places and checking facts mentioned in the film. I was so mind boggled I couldn't get of my computer until about 4 am.

Perhaps Gandini has overrated his audience's capability of coming to their own conclusions, but I for one feel a sense of gratitude towards the film maker. I feel grateful for being a free man and not getting controlled by government television.

However, I do have one complaint. Horror-music really doesn't help a serious documentary to get the message through as being objective. The actual events themselves are scary enough on there own without discrediting music, which only makes for a cheaper feel. Shame on you sound producers!

A must see movie

Author: gabriellafurlan from Italy
7 December 2009

I respect the opinion of viewers that wished for a more detailed explanation of how Berlusconi ascended to power imposing his videocracy on the whole Country. On the other hand, who let him do that and why is still debated in Italy and abroad, subject to political interpretation and therefore a quite tedious and convoluted story to tell. The audience here gets to experience the Italian TV and media dominated reality from a purely naturalistic angle, almost like an ethologist would look at a society of ants. The movie, I believe, is a lot more powerful and compelling that way: the viewers can go through all the the feelings of incredulity, anguish, disgust, pity and anger it generates without anyone saying out loud that they should, making those feelings all the more intense and true.

Sexism & Fascism

Author: Stella from United Kingdom
13 March 2010

A brilliant snapshot of how political and media monopolies in the ever-smiling face of Silvio Berlusconi have shaped public opinion and the dreams of Italian youth today. My only complaint is that the documentary focused too much on surface self-evident issues like the power of television instead of deeper-rooted issues in Italy like sexism and fascism. The documentary never questioned why young women restrict their potential and dreams to becoming the next Italian WAG, Silvio's mistress or a veline or why Lele Mora unabashedly has Mussolini-era anthems as his cellphone ringtone. Institutionalized sexism, poverty and lack of education are only hinted at as the doc centers around the more digestible issues of narcissism and Italian mama - son drama. A must see film nonetheless

a think piece with brilliant editing....

Author: nave-antopolsky from Israel
16 May 2010

After reading other reviews i decided to register in IMDb and vote for this film myself. Watching the film was a unique experience for me. I was excited and shocked at the images on the screen. The film is not a "normal" activist documentary where the filmmaker tells you what to think and what to feel in plain words. It takes you into a different culture that looks like it was brought to it's knees with the power of television and the use of women sexuality.

Living in Israel i am used to criticize my own country and watching films about it. Never mind the minor details the movie misses. It is true to it's artistic roots and in it's search for truth it shows the evil that lies behind the smile of Mr. Berlusconi. In my opinion this movie is a masterpiece.

Italians from Italy 2009

Author: Daniele Pinto from Italy
9 September 2009

It feels as if it was put together in five minutes. Pity because the idea is great if not particularly new. Depressing as hell to think that, somehow, this reality represent us and I'm afraid it does. It is a decease of our own making. It's in our DNA, if you don't believe me listen to Mario Monicelli in his interview at Otto e Mezzo. "We're a country of "miserabili" (miserables). As long as someone has the guts to say it, there is hope. Here, the statement comes from Sweden of all places and seems amazed at things that us in Italy know perfectly well and complain about, perhaps, but in private. I think that Berlusconi truly represents the majority of Italians even those who don't want to admit it. Lele Mora gave me the chills and Fabrizio Corona who comes from a very intelligent, prominent journalistic family comes across as an ignorant product of his day. He indulges in a long naked scene, soaping his privates under the shower. What the hell was that!? We're suppose to be the Country of culture par excellence, how funny. We're the Country of the façade instead. We love cinema but we dub it, robbing the souls of the original actors, not just their voices. We divide the projections of films, arbitrarily, in Primo Tempo e Secondo Tempo (First Part and Second Part). We really don't give a damn and some of the consequences are painfully clear in "Videocracy" I only wish this documentary could be taken a bit more seriously.

worth watching, unless I suppose you're from Italy

Author: marymorrissey from United States
23 August 2011

what strikes me about the reviews is the shock of people in the US who feel that this monopoly is so different from the so called 2 party system here in the US. first off, things aren't much better in this country with regards to poor taste, exploitation of women, and a cattle like docility of the population. 2ndly, at least ital isn't so involved in slaughtering millions around the globe. while there's shock aplenty when those numbers come up at the end giving Italy's stature in rank among countries in the world for issues such as "freedom" and "sexual equality" I can't imagine that the US is all that far ahead. in fact, "freedom" seems like such a slippery concept... the health care problems here mean far less freedom to have live all that long in this country, our educational system is becoming so exclusive, while belonging in the EU, any citizen of Italy can study at any major university in the entire EU for free, that kind of empowerment can engender freedom of a sort people here can only long for.

The movie did move pretty slowly at times and more information might have been conveyed at the expense of long shots that didn't really use up the screen time all that convincingly.

Sad but true

Author: paultergeist from United Kingdom
10 May 2013

I agree with the reviews saying that nothing new (at least not to people living in Italy) is revealed in this film but that doesn't detract from it being a worthy documentary. On the contrary, having lived for 18 years in Italy, 5 of which were under Berlusconi's rule in government, I know full well how easily it is for people to complain behind closed doors about the issues portrayed in the film but then do precious little to change them.

Long before Berlusconi entered politics, he was already shaping the nation's opinions through his television and printed press empire. The film tracks back to 1980s shows like 'Drive In' which epitomised the sexualisation of entertainment by presenting an endless carousel of scantily clad women for absolutely no reason other than to keep the attention of its viewers. This is an ongoing scenario which only recently has been addressed both in parliament and on the streets by the women of Italy who have had enough.

As for Corona, here is the end product of such a system where greed and vanity are the prerequisite qualities for success. The fact that he isn't even a photographer just goes to show how talent is no guarantee nor is it a necessity for a rapid rise to riches for any individual whose mind is set on it.

If anything the portrayal of the 26 year old karate enthusiast is the saddest story of them all because he is clearly too naiive and too nice to make it in such a mercenary business as is the fame game in Italy.

'At night on the streets, I don't see people, I see business' Corona's words. Not a shred of Robin Hood in there whatsoever, if anything Corona is exactly the kind of person Robin Hood would have in his sights as prime target for his fabled exploits of altruism.

I also cringe when people ask 'How did it come to this?' because it's obvious, the polling stations were open, were they not? the option to vote for someone other than Berlusconi was there, was it not? Let's not turn this into a political debate, that's not what the film's premise is, regardless of your political views, this film should be watched and praised for its open exposure of a well known 'racket' where fame is king, whoever it is that gives it to you.

You only need look at political developments currently happening in Italy to see how little significance being right wing or left wing has.

The scene which struck me the most was Berlusconi being booed and jeered at the European Parliament where, true to form, he smiled broadly and pronounced everyone to be jealous of Italy, or rather, jealous of him and his success as an entrepreneur cum politician. That same arrogance is what put him in power in the first place and if again you ask how did he do it? You watched it happening on Italia 1, Canale 5 and Rete 4, every single day.

If you got bored of the Rai programmes, you had the option to switch to the commercial stations a choice which is tantamount to saying 'menomale che Silvio c'e'

Wow what a messed up country.

Author: TheEmulator23 (Shelman23@gmail.com) from S. Lake Tahoe, CA
16 February 2011

This was absolutely eye-opening of what's important in Italy. I don't know much about Berlusconi (The Italian Prime Minister) but for him also to run 90% of the state run television doesn't seem like it should exist. What's worse than that is he is completely above the law as he has given himself immunity from any sort of criminal prosecution...ever! What's dumbfounding to me more than anything is that the way the TV shows & things are run is nothing more than a somewhat cleaned up version of the way the mafia is run. I thought Americans were obsessed w/celebrity, but my god the Italians have us completely beat by a mile. Anyway it's interesting and sad to see the way women are completely objectified & how such a huge percentage are trying to make it by their looks alone. I have never seen a western country that treats women & they allow themselves to be treated so poorly. It reminded me of The Ms. America Pageant times 1000. It was quite disgusting as far as the culture & what's important in life w/what's going on there. I've never been a fan of Women's Lib, but that country needs it so bad.