IMDb > Underworld Awakening (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Underworld Awakening

Underworld Awakening More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 29: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

I dreamt of the day we would meet. Like a silly little girl. You're as cold as one already dead.

Author: Spikeopath from United Kingdom
17 October 2015

Popcorn bonanza as the Underworld series passes by in a whirl of effects driven action. Kate Beckinsale returns as super sexy - latex wearing - vampire Selene, after having skipped the third movie, here added into the mix is that Selene is searching for her hybrid daughter, while the pesky humans are intent on wiping out all vampires and lycans.

Cue carnage. The story is very slight, the script equally so, where pretty much all roads lead to another action scene. So Selene leaps about a lot amongst blood, brains and beasties, the later of which fronted by a new giganticus hulkus werewolf. No actor in the film is asked to stretch their acting chops, but for fans of the series and action junkies in general, this is undeniably a good fun movie. 6/10

Not an Underworld Movie...

Author: ladsontour69 from United Kingdom
5 December 2014

The Fourth instalment of the Underworld series seems to have gone off track a bit. The first three had great special effects, great make-up, nice atmosphere and some amazing characters. this one has stepped away from the original style, its no longer dark and realistic, but has taken a turn towards the resident evil style. The special effects are over the top, even the blood is cheap cgi, spraying everywhere. the werewolves look different and i think almost all scenes with the lycans were cgi, none of the great make- up we had before and the over the top camera angles were just annoying at times. I was also disappointed to see the cheap cgi of the werewolf transformation. the original one was really good. As a action film, it was pretty decent, but as a sequel to the original underworld and a fan of the first three, this ones falls a bit flat. its a shame none of the original cast couldn't reprise there characters to give it a more underworld feel to it. As an action film, i would give this a 6/10, but as an underworld film, i give it a 4. right down the middle - overall a 5/10

A fantastic beginning; afterwards, just nice action

Author: guisreis from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
2 February 2016

In my opinion, opposite to many reviews, this is probably the best film from the franchise. The "Purge" beginning is very nice. Indeed, if that environment had been kept until the film finished, it would be one of the best vampire movies ever. Kate Beckinsale shines (if it is possible to say that about a vampire!) once again in the charismatic leading role. I liked to see "Tywin Lannister" Charles Dance with vampire teeth too. India Eisley, the girl, also does a good job and has some creepy quasi-"The Exorcist" moments. The first part of the movie is by far the best. Unfortunately, it looses most of its dramatic impact afterwards, becoming a conventional action thriller. Though, it is still an entertaining flick until the end. Selenes's final fight is great.

A let down after the other movies...

Author: HHHPlovexx20 from United Kingdom
8 June 2012

After the first three movies of Underworld I really thought I'd enjoy this film. But surprise, surprise as the reviews said it definitely wasn't as good as the first three... I just felt with the other movies in the franchise they had done really well with the balancing of the plot line and characters-the characters seemed really well developed which is hard to do in an action-packed film. In this one- however- I felt they rushed in too quickly with the story not developing the characters to having a purpose in the film. It felt like they were just there to fill a role rather than add anything valuable to the movie! I especially didn't like the way they got rid of Scott Speedman look-a- like(as Michael Corvin) at the beginning as I felt there was no need and Kate's character got over this pretty damn quickly! Then the Michael Corvin character magically reappears again at the end just as we've got used not seeing him around anymore! In comparison to the Underworld and Underworld Evolution movies(which I thought were at least worth 8/10) this felt like a complete let down... However, I would say it was worth a watch as when you got to the final fight scene it does get quite exciting! There is -however-one last thing I do not understand about the whole film: the short synopsis simply says "When human forces discover the existence of the Vampire and Lycan clans, a war to eradicate both species commences." which is silly as we find out later in the film that the employees at Antigen are in actual fact all Lycans apart for the unfortunate woman scientist who gets killed by them. This fact just shows that the storyline was not thought out and this film claims to be something it's not. The only reason my rating of this film reached a 4 is because Kate Beckinsale is still as intriguing and beautiful as ever! But there are major holes in this story so if your in for a good story this is not the film for you...

Underworld: Awakening

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
10 May 2012

Underworld Awakening opens as Humans are hunting down vampires (they are considered "the infected") in what is considered "the great purge", also eradicating lycans it seems. It is announced that lycans have been rendered extinct and few vampire covens remain in hiding. Selene and Michael are hoping to board a ship and leave but human SWAT police keep them from doing so. Selene awakens after a bomb knocks her and Michael unconscious, inside a cryogenic chamber, someone has freed her, and she soon discovers that it is her daughter, Eve (India Eisely). Dr. Jacob Lane (Stephen Rea) is lead scientist in a corporation called Antigen, the leaders in trying to find a cure (or this is what they tell the public at large) and help to "cleanse the Earth" of infection. Ultimately, of course, Lane has sinister plans involving a lycans uprising and the downfall of the entire vampire race… In little over 78 minutes, Underworld:Awakening is an uninspired action film loaded from start to finish with CGI violence and gore. No heart or soul to speak of and the Selene character, despite the storyline establishing her as a mother trying to protect her daughter, hasn't evolved all that much since the last two movies featuring her. Michael is only in the first minutes (I don't know why this character was practically written out of the series unless the actor had previous commitments), and mentioned here and there in the dialogue, but Awakening is essentially Selene in a war with Rea (who has a son played by Holden-Ried) who has kidnapped "subject two", daughter Eve for testing which could help discover a cure that stops silver from killing lycans. This is terribly important to Rea for reasons I will not reveal. Basically you get the same kind of attack scenes seen in previous films between werewolves and vampires, Selene right in the middle. The whole movie just goes through the motions, no depth or care given to breathe life into a tired series. I hope Beckinsale decides to hang up the tight leather suit as her character is as tired as the franchise by this point. I think the first two films were fun and had their moments, but there's nothing here I think that cries out as particularly memorable. Even the usual chase scene where lycans pursue Eve, in the back of a van driven by Selene lacks conviction. Selene finds allies in a young vampire male (basically a GQ model) and a human cop (whose wife was turned by a vampire and later killed during the purge), so there's help for her, but this, for the most part, is all about her taking out every foe that crosses her. The CGI werewolves look exactly like cartoons and the vampires (including Charles Dance) lack any real personality. You can easily skip this fourth film and not miss anything.

A letdown in the Underworld Saga

Author: born-r from São Paulo, Brazil
25 March 2012

I am a fan of the series: in this movie, the focus of the story shifts a little - the humans has discovered the other 2 "new" species, and begin to purge from Earth both Vampires and Lycans.

Selene and Michael attempt to escape, but are captured: 12 years latter, Selen awakes in a cryo chamber (Subject 1), in a research facility, and sees another chamber, the Subject 2, believing this is Micheals one - only to discover latter that in this chamber, was a Hybrid 12 years child, her daughter, that is being pursued by surviving Lycans... the rest of the story gets around this: has a lot of action, but a think the focus is too narrow, only in this event, and the movies ends with a direct hook to a 5th movie.

Its a enjoyable sequence, filled with action, but I think it's the poorer one. My score: 5,0 / 10,0.

Fun But Seemed Rushed

Author: boytitan-307-633327 from Toronto, ON
4 March 2012

Enjoyed the film overall, love the series and the genre, and who doesn't love Kate!?

I didn't have a lot of expectations on this one, and didn't even watch the previews in advance of the film. My biggest complaint for the film was that it seemed rushed. It didn't feel like it built up to the climax, just a lot of running around and action and then *boom* it was done and I was left feeling unsatisfied.

The new characters didn't feel fully developed, just a quick "hi i am so and so" and that was it. I didn't connect to any of the characters, good or bad. The villains didn't get a chance to make you want them defeated or dead at all, you just know they are a villain cuz someone said so in the previous dialogue.

Still a fun film overall, but wouldn't see it a second time.

if you base this on the previous movies you might be.....

Author: theo_aivazian from United States
3 March 2012

Disappointed. I really wanted to like it because of Kate. It seemed like it was a video game cut-scenes spliced together.

Pro:

1) it was an underworld movie and even a bad one deserves 3 stars

2) The cast was good Steven Rea, and Michael Ealy, and were good.

3) Action scenes were tolerable.

Cons:

1) it seems like 90% of the dialog was stripped out.

2) Kate appeared a bit wooden, unlike her previous character, Of course her character explains why she doesn't emote much.

3) there are a strainer full of plot holes in this episode (oops) film.

4) This movie(episode) could have fit into a real movie with dialog.

One of my all time favorites.

Author: FearNoEvil1 from United States
8 September 2014

Celine is a powerhouse in all the Underworld's. She is the coldest woman fighter in movies or on TV shows. She is my favorite hands down. This movie is full of action and keeps you at the edge of your seat! It keeps you glued to the screen. She is Heroic in every aspect in every sequel of the movie. This movie is the definition of fighting for what you believe in. I love the intimate parts in the movie as well as the action, The Ultimate vampire movie in full throttle. Get ready, strap on your seat belt, because you are about to go on the ride of your life with mind blowing sequels to follow. "Underworld" is a movie that you can watch any time of the day,evening, or night. It will satisfy immensely I rate this movie a 10/10.

Not much to do with previous Underworld movies

Author: nofb from UK
19 April 2012

Much has already been said on the poor storyline in this instalment of the Underworld series, but apparently nobody is bothered by the major flaw in the story.

Why would Selene and Michael still be any other than mere humans, since they killed their ancestors, Marcus and William? It is clearly mentioned by Tanis, the historian, in Evolution, that killing a vampire or a lycan kills their whole bloodline. That's why at the end of Evolution Selene isn't burnt by sunlight anymore, and this poor explanation of a "gift by Corvinus" is ridiculous and an insult to the audience.

Sad, because they managed to insert the prequel (Rise of the Lycans) correctly in the initial story. Maybe the writers didn't care anymore this time.