IMDb > Underworld Awakening (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Underworld Awakening

Underworld Awakening More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 29: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Cheap episode, probably the end of story.

Author: visz963 from Hungary
29 February 2012

I was eager to watch the next part in this series, and I am left with the worst movie I have seen for long. The characters are superficial and naive, the words are mostly common sense. The story could be interesting, but the whole happening can be summarized in three sentences. The plot is reduced to some fights, there are no tricky/intellectual parts. The action parts are copies from the previous episodes, but much worse. The most ridiculous thing is that in the fight scenes the bad guys always get instantly killed, why the good guys are always just thrown away.

It looks like this movie was just an attempt to cash in the popularity of the series without further investment.

Don't bother with it.

Poorly done

Author: n-dc
16 February 2012

It was a real stretch to put as the summary "leading the lycans and vampires in a war against humans", since the main fighting through the movie was between vampire and lycans, with a human thrown in there. The movie really should have been set more as an intro to a new series rather than a continuation of the old one.

Storyline and plot just didn't seem to have any depth. Selene gets put to sleep, wakes up twelve years later, finds out she has a kid, and then fights. There was just nothing to it. I wasn't wondering how everything was connected, nothing really surprised me, the "twists" thrown in there were too predictable for any true suspense.

Character development fell short. Selene was the only character who was really developed in the movie and that includes development from Underworld 1 and 2. The rest of the characters that show up are put in there for extra combat twists, the slight stubborn opposition, and an overpowered enemy. Even Eve is barely developed. This is low in comparison to the previous Underworld movies, where you actually feel that you're getting to know the characters.

On the small plus side, we have lots of combat. We have Selene leaping through combat with werewolves, putting at least twenty bullets into each of their heads; we have a nearly twelve year old girl, tearing into faces; and we have lots and lots and lots of blood. The move is worth watching for the combat scenes, provided you like that type of combat.

Action and guns: Great Blood and gore: Great Anything else: Not worth it

Worth watching once, but a sore disappointment for me as an Underworld fan.

Completely Overrated

Author: tosodoula-d
29 January 2012

The movie was in itself not bad. It had some amazing scenes, it was more action-packed than any other 'Underworld' installment, Kate Beckinsale was a stunning presence and the special effects were absolutely gorgeous. The film lacked substance though.

The first movie introduced to us to the Underworld universe, where Vampires and Lycans had a history, an inheritance. In this third chapter (fourth, including 'The Rise of the Lycans') we get nothing like that. The plot is quite predictable and uninteresting, the new characters introduced seem like plot devices rather than three dimensional people and the little girl playing Selene's daughter looks nothing like Michael did when he changed...quite frankly to me it looked like a caricature of the girl in 'The Exorcist'. Also, for me it was a complete disappointment that not only none of the actors from the previous films returned, but, except for Michael, it seemed like their characters were completely forgotten.

I had fun watching it, mostly because I'll never say no to some good fight scenes and impressive building-to-building jumping, but while I had felt excited after leaving the cinema with the previous movies, with this one I just felt sort of blank, as if the movie had nothing truly memorable for me to hold onto.

Waste of time if you're a fan of the series.

Author: WakeyBakey
15 February 2012

Absolutely horrible movie. I've never been a big die-hard fan of the Underworld movies. But I have seen them all and they do indeed have an interesting story to tell. The dialog, sounds, effects, story and action have been topnotch in the first three movies. All of this is below average in this chapter.

It felt like it was oneliners all the way through. Maybe 5-10min of the dialog was actually interesting and had something to do with the bigger picture. The sounds were cheap. Mostly reminded me of teen horror/splatter design. A bullet through the arm sounded like the whole body exploded. And when we're at it... The gore was way over the top. Yeah yeah it looked "good" when a bodypart was riped off but who want to see the chainsaw-effect for each bullet? The action? There's some fast ninja vampires and big brutal lycans... And the fight between them are alright. But what really got on my nerve was the ooold mistake: "Oh look! The hero is out of ammo! Everybody drop your weapons and charge the super fast hero with the big knife!". Completely pulls you out of "the moment". The only thing connecting this movie with the rest is two characters we know and the fact that vampires and lycans doesn't like each other. That's basically what the movie is about. The movie description tells us that: "The vampire warrioress Selene leads the battle against humankind". I didn't see a battle against humankind. The only humans who died was the ones who was in the way between the vampires and lycans (And I'm not even sure they were human). Most of this review about the action. That's because 95% of the movie is action. It's a disgrace against the series.

The only reason I'll give it 3/10 is because Beckinsale and Eisley does an amazing job at what can actually be called "story telling".

Just below average

Author: beta6-1 from Germany
30 January 2012

The movie offers decent action and cgi effect. Apart from that there is next to no character development and the story is so thinly spread that it feels like it only exists to connect fight sequences.

Where the first 3 Movies created some kind of atmosphere and offered some insight in the "Underworld" this one fails epically in those subjects

In addition to that the main actress only has one look to offer...emotionlessnes.

If you look for a cheap flick on rainy days it will probably suffice but not for anything else.

Its just disturbing how many studio reviewers try to over-hype the movie

Why did Kate come back for this?

Author: oscarxp25 from United States
28 February 2012

There is an old saying that "money is the root of all evil". This statement is usually reserved for people involved with bribery, corruption, banking, and politics. Well, I am taking that statement and applying it to everyone involved in the making of this film. This movie was made to suck money from our pockets by people who don't care about a once worthy movie property. They destroy it.

The original "Underworld" was a fresh take on the centuries old rivalry between vampires and werewolves (called "lycans" here). It wasn't game changing cinema, but a movie with interesting characters, worthy performances, and slick action sequences. This movie, clocking in at a incredibly short 73 minutes, not only destroys, but turns its back on what once was a promising series. The second film was as good as the first. I did not see the third, but heard it was good. When people rip on "Twilight" for the terrible acting, the teenage girls now have a film to use as evidence to show it ain't that bad in Stephanie Meyer's universe. Everyone in this film is terrible; even Kate Beckinsale. Beckinsale, who was so good in the first two, is sleep walks though this film. I must give her some credit, at least she is better than the films terrible villains. The characters are lame, as are the actors playing them. They come off as laughable, not frightening or horrifying in anyway. The once cool designs of the Lycans have been replaced by rubber looking coyotes. Worst of all, there is not a single memorable action scene in the movie. It is just extremely boring to watch, considering all the gunfire going on.

Former director, now writer, Len Wiseman, tries to inject some emotion into the movie by creating a relationship between Beckinsale's character and a hybrid child created from her DNA. There is only so much you can do in the movie's short time span and given the amount the screen time these two have together, it doesn't work. It doesn't feel natural, only a cheap ploy to create some type of humanity in this action snooze fest.

Michael Sheen, who played a Lycon in the first three movies, wisely bowed out of this one. Beckinsale, I have no idea why she came back after walking away from the third one. My only guess is she got a pretty good amount of cash to reprise her role. The film does establish something; it is like its main character: empty, soul less and dead on arrival.

Underworld - more like Underpants!!!

Author: dunctyler from United Kingdom
21 January 2012

This is a genuinely poor film - I now know why it wasn't released to the critics before going out on general release! It should have gone straight to DVD.

I can't believe the people that have scored this above 5 on this site. It is a really lame effort and everyone involved should hang their head in shame. The storyline could have been so much more - instead it is predictable (what there is of it!) and seems to be more of an advert for 3d rather than a effort at making a decent movie.

Oh, and who is KB married to.......ah yes, Len Wiseman!! Think this whole genre has scraped a new level - probably time for Ken to move onto pastures new. This Underworld hasn't 'awoken' - it's in a terminal slumber!!! Save your money and watch something else!

Underworld fans will really like this movie!

Author: krp2201 from United States
21 January 2012

Lots of action. Great effects. Very entertaining. Interesting continuation of the story. Love the little girl! They did a great job of leaving you hanging in anticipation of the next one. We will be looking forward to it! Kate Beckinsale is awesome as always. The effects for the little girl are great. Its always fun to see a young girl kick some butt, and watching her build a relationship with her mother was interesting. That's the part that got me really into it, was watching the relationship develop and the protective instincts coming out for mother and the daughter. I really enjoyed this movie, but then again, I have always been an Underworld fan. People who have not been following the series will clearly not enjoy it as much. I would suggest for them to watch all 3 of the prior movies before going. Underworld, Underworld Evolution, and Rise of the Lycans. Can't wait for the next one to come out!

Thanks a lot

Author: Fmy Fmy from Turkey
15 February 2012

Really thanks a lot for the makers of this movie. Couldn't imagine more to ruin the reputation of a good trilogy. I think, even these modern video games' in game videos are far better than this movie.

There was no "oh what comes next?" question in my head. Just watched meaningless fights. You were getting excited while watching the fights in former series. There is no need to talk about characters who toss cars around like toys and can't even break the wall. Selene's and the werewolves final fight was really stupid. Selene who did unbelievable things just waited in the corner of the room like a cat. The big bad wolf was just tossing Selene around.

Even if I would consider this movie as not a sequel, it still would be an under average scored one.

Maybe it would be harsh but I would consider Underworld: Awakening in the same category of Twilight Saga for being a bad vampire&werewolf movie.

Another great film in the Franchise although Michael's Absence kinda bothered me..

Author: adonis98-743-186503 from Greece
26 November 2016

When human forces discover the existence of the Vampire and Lycan clans, a war to eradicate both species commences. The vampire warrior Selene leads the battle against humankind. With Blood Wars coming out on December 1st i decided to wrap up my reviews for the Underworld Franchise once and for all with Underworld: Awakening a film that i remembered very different because Underworld 4 is actually pretty good and Kate Beckinsale still rocks as Selene she even went on a rampage and killed humans on this one, there's even a scene where she visits the building where her daughter is in and they shoot her and she is just a boss. But the biggest surprise from this film was actually India Eisley as Eve her transformation was terrific and i loved that part where she fought against Stephen Rea who plays Dr. Jacob Lane who also had another great transformation as for the big werewolf i think he was alright he isn't the worst bad guy of this Franchise but he isn't the best one either the cgi was a bit off at times but for the most part there were some practical effects also which saves the film more. Sandrine Holt has officially been murdered by a Terminator, a Werewolf and Zombies. To wrap this up if you know what you're getting into you won't be disappointed and this is definitely a much better Franchise than Resident Evil in my opinion.