IMDb > "Covert Affairs" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Covert Affairs"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Covert Affairs" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Wow

Author: George Bailey from United States
16 July 2010

When I saw who the producers are, I must admit, I felt some trepidation. The Borne Trilogy was good (no self-respecting film lover could deny it), but hardly TV series material. All my trepidation flew out of the window less than five minutes into the pilot. I'm not an easy judge to please, but I must say, I'm hooked.

The characterization was fabulous. The writers laid the strong foundation of the friendship/confidant relationship that few shows have managed to convey, and it's just the pilot. I can't wait to see how it's built up. The last time I saw such a thing, it was in BONES, and that was in the middle of the first season.

Piper Perabo plays a smart, overachieving spy missing the stop-digging-yourself-into-a- hole complex. Her character is balanced by a great performance by Christopher Gorham as Auggie, your friendly neighborhood blind tech-guy, a comforting voice in the madness of the "Agency". To top off the show, you have their boss, a preoccupied career woman used to having to find her own way in a job traditionally held by men: Joan Campbell, played by Kari Matchett.

For those of you thinking it's just another ALIAS, you've got another thing coming, just as I did. The only things it's got in common with J. J. Abrams' hit show is the CIA and strong woman lead. It has the action of all the best action films of the decade and the reasonably- subtle humor of BURN NOTICE and CHUCK.

COVERT AFFAIRS is in it for the long-run. I don't plan on missing a moment of it. If it's canceled, it'll prove to be as big a mistake as canceling FIREFLY. Watch it. You won't regret it.

Lacking in all areas

Author: DeadnotSleeping from Studio City, CA
19 July 2010

I really had hoped that this show would be as well done and fun as the recent USA slate (Royal Pains, White Collar,etc) but this show was mediocre at best and just plain bad at worst.

The bloated pilot was all set-up. All of this could have been done in the first half hour so we could get to the meat of the series, Instead we had 75 minutes of boredom and rehashing of spy movie and TV scenes.

Piper Perabo's Annie is as uninteresting as they come. The reason to take her out of training a and swear her into the CIA a month early is ridiculous. With all those pretty and young agents around, not one of them could speak Russian and play a prostitute? Really? I doubt that.

Christopher Gorham, who is always fin to watch, is doing his best imitation of "Mother" (David Strathairn)from the film Sneakers. Kari Matchett is wasted in the role of Annie's boss who is so insecure about her marriage that she uses illegal wiretaps to eavesdrop on her fellow CIA higher-up husband (Peter Gallagher). Hardly original.

Sorry USA, this is a dud. Unless there are major changes in the rest of the series I can't see any reason to watch. We've seen it all before - when it was done better.

A disappointment

Author: joshburk from United States
17 July 2010

I am a huge fan of USA's original programming. They have a great working model: a character-focused premise with interesting story lines. Burn Notice, Royal Pains, Psyche, Monk -- all great shows, some of my favorites. Unfortunately, "Covert Affairs" fails to live up to its predecessors.

There is nothing unique or new about the set-up of this show. Piper is a talented spy who is brand new to the CIA. She's not a double agent. She's not a spy burned. She doesn't have fake psychic powers or anything. She seems "special," but the audience is never really sure why.

For the pilot, the story kind of plotted along without much reason. It was slow. It was silly. It completely lost my interest. (To be fair, I only watched half the pilot, because I couldn't stomach more.) Expecting so much more from this network, "Covert Affairs" was more than anything a disappointment.

good atmosphere, ridiculous storyline

Author: MonsieurMS from Phila, PA USA
14 July 2010

The good news is that this was appealing in terms of actors and characters and relationships. But the storyline and plotting--ridiculous. To some extent it is another example of Hollywood chutzpah--petite blonde takes on most dangerous killer in the world. Right. In real life, he just puts a bullet in her head in the restaurant kitchen. And 1st day agent winds up violating rules and going off on her own? And why doesn't she just tell her boss about the clues in the first place? Right--it's Hollywood and every boss is stupid. It's hard to ignore the gaping holes in the pilot episode, but for all that it was still fun.

Like Eating Styrofoam

Author: Farfergnugget from United States
12 August 2010

Bland, mostly air, and refuses to go down.

These are people who are nice to look at, and that's it. I'm sure they're fine actors, but this show doesn't prove that, and just makes me wish Alias was still on the air. I couldn't care less about any of these characters, and the milquetoast mysterious romance that won't go away is just too obvious and plodding a device that within the first sixty seconds of the pilot you already know what happens in the last two minutes of the season. Ken Doll is coming back, and exactly when you least expect it. Yawn.

And your cover on your first assignment as a covert field officer? A conspicuous, sexy prostitute, of course. Because they don't draw any attention. Just blend right in.

Again, pictures would have been a lot more efficient.

Below average show

Author: vijyant-srivastava from United States
17 July 2013

the whole show does not make any sense, main character is hired as a cia agent because of only one reason that she speaks few languages, she does not know or carry firearm which is surprising, she is not even good in hand hand combat...which really does not make any sense why she was hired in the first place.....in almost all the episode it feels like that she gets into the situation but some how she manages it ...which feels more of luck or the twisted story...how can be covert operations be so simple...usually the intelligence field operative are more highly trained for hand to hand combat and special fire arm training then other law enforcement agency. But this show fails to deliver anything ...its more of a family show for kids not a spy show...no to very little action...family drama in cia thats even hilarious ..that husband and wife are running cia and wife is using agency resources to spy on her husband.....crappy and unrealistic....

Thoroughly entertaining spy show with terrific characters!

Author: sandimcg from United States
3 October 2013

This is the first good spy-type series I've seen since 24 (looking forward to its return on FOX)and Alias (such fun with all the disguises, gadgets and mystic aspect). I was SO happy to have recently discovered Covert Affairs! This show is thoroughly entertaining if you enjoyed 24 and/or Alias. And - stop comparing - they're all different. I definitely enjoy the characters in this show. I am now into the 4th season and, even though there are some things that should be made logical with just a few sentences of explanation, and there is the inevitable craziness in all shows - like getting from the U.S. to Europe in just the right location in the middle of nowhere in - seemingly a few hours instead of a day - just in time for someone (like the elusive Ben, Eyal or Teo) to save Annie's life. Of COURSE, we're happy - big phew! And who cares if it's implausible - it's a TV show that needs to keep moving along. Purists will nit pick, but I would say anyone who likes this genre will find it totally intriguing entertaining and compelling. I always look forward to seeing what twist is coming up next. I hope it keeps going for years without the writers getting bored and killing off the best characters and ruining the series.

Like Alias, only less stupid

Author: tile46 from United States
13 September 2010

This show is turning out to be what I wanted Alias to be. The similarities can't be missed really. Strong female spy with big doe eyes and a b cup, wandering around in skimpy outfits somehow kicking ass in spike heals (this always bothers me so much. I spend so much of female led action shows just staring at the foot where in dismay) but also managing family and home, occasionally crumbling in the arms of a strong scruffy man. But unlike Alias this show avoids some pitfalls.

A. It doesn't over do it. Yes super spies are cool. Of course they don't exist but there is a limit to how much we can take as an audience before we go, "Alright that's just stupid." This show manages to juggle really high stakes life or death situations with some of the more tedious but still interesting aspects of being a spy. No prophecies. No ridiculous pseudo-science.

B. Real people. The problem with JJ Abrahms that this avoids is that people watch shows to watch real people do extraordinary things. But it's nice to know they're real people every now and then. The main character messes up. She looses fights. She does dumb things. She is laughed at for making obvious mistakes. It makes her human.

C. Augie. I can't stress enough that if you don't like this show at first, wait until Augie shows up. He sold it for me. He is a really talented actor and with out a doubt the most interesting and fleshed out character in the show. I only wish he had more screen time.

So if you watched Alias, but sometime around second season starting shouting at the TV, "Why are you doing this JJ!? What did we ever do to deserve this!?" then this is your show. And for now it's mine. Let's share it.

Love this spy show.

Author: Shopaholic35 from Australia
6 February 2014

This show reminds me a little of Alias. If you liked that you probably will like this. Although it is not as heavy as that it still is filled will female kick butt attitude. I love the fact that it feels like a light spy show that is just as fun as it is action-packed. Piper Perabo is fantastic as the lead and makes you want to be part of her spy crew. The storyline could use a little bit of work and maybe a bit more fleshing out but for the moment it is working fine.

This is a great show with lots of entertainment value. Don't write it off just because it seems a little far fetched or lacking in substance. The cast well and truly makes up for any shortcomings.

Great new show

Author: max843 from United States
24 August 2010

Great new show - good writing, excellent casting. Especially Oded Fehr - like to see more of him.

Just to comment on the criticism of the actor playing the blind operative - my mother was totally blind the final 21 years of her life (she lived to 92). No one knew, including some family members. She moved around without help as did her eyes - just like the character Augie - and showed expression as do many persons who become blind later in life. As I'm sure could be the case with some persons blind from birth.

I really appreciate this show's awareness of the fact that there are other languages and countries beyond America - something we need more of.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]