IMDb > "Louie" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Louie"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Louie" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Incredibly realistic, simple, and both funny and melancholic

Author: ASpiralingRedDream from United States
15 September 2012

I have seen the first two seasons of Louie, and I just really love this series. It has an unusual format, and this same format and style allows it to flow naturally. It never really feels forced or unauthentic, and every single episode of the show is unpredictable exactly because Louis C.K. is able to tackle some of the similar themes in many episodes and yet still pump in real authenticity. You notice this especially in the second season, that although probably not as funny as the first, it breathes new life into the series. It's gotten to the point that it feels like the most sincere comedy series in a very long time, and its most subtle moments don't even hit you until you think back to them.

Louis is one of the most honest and creative works to grace television.

Author: daniellouthain from United States
30 July 2012

I've waited two and a half seasons to write a review of Louie. I watched it from the beginning, and re-watched each season during each hiatus. Every time I was engrossed and wildly entertained. It made me think and it made me wonder about how and why people do the things they do.

We're all used to this artificial portrayal of human life when we watch TV or movies. Every person is utterly fascinating and clever and somehow always seem to drive a plot with every sentence. This is not like that. This is human interaction and life in its most honest form. You won't find fast-paced witty dialogue or 23 minutes of one-liners. If that's what you're looking for in a series, tune into the other comedies on TV, you'll be thoroughly entertained. Louie captures what is truly hilarious, interesting or profound about life, and he presents it organically. It all appears to happen by a series of infinitely numerous and infinitely improbable outcomes. And its because that's how life is. Life doesn't have a plot or a story-arc. Life is usually disappointing and uneventful, but its always interesting, there are always hilarious moments, and it always leaves you wanting more.

A dark, honest and confronting, but really funny comedy

Author: yiNXs from Netherlands
18 September 2011

I was a fan of Louis CK before this series started, so when I heard about it I was looking forward to seeing it.

Well, the first thing I discovered was that the show is not exactly comparable to his stand up comedy. It took me a while to get a feel for the show, because at first it was hard for me to watch the comedian I admire portray himself as a loser so much. He really makes me believe that what he is showing is the real him. After a while I realized that whether that is true or not, it's actually pretty awesome by itself.

What I think is so great about this comedy is how he displays things many of us can probably relate to to at least some degree. He is this extraordinary ordinary guy, even though he plays himself (the celebrity), who is trying hard to live a normal life, but has a tough time doing so. He does his best, but always saying or doing the worst possible things, but in an incredibly well and sincere way, making it hard not to cringe while watching, while the honesty really gets to you.

I didn't see a strong connection to Curb or Seinfeld in the beginning, but there definitely is. It's the same kind of comedy, but from the perspective of somebody who actually gives a crap.

Smart comedy show for grown-up divorced dads

Author: nathanschubach from Northwest Ohio
12 July 2011

I love the show. It's a cute slice-of-life experience with Louis C.K. as he searches for dates, relation to younger guys as a divorced man with kids, and his exhaust of life in the form of comedy. It starts off like Seinfeld with a couple minutes of comedy, sometimes related to the rest of the show. The primary characters in the show are mostly him, his ex-wife (who is never seen), his daughters (not his real daughters), a single mother from his daughter's school (Jane), and various famous comedian friends (Todd Barry, Jim Norton, Nick DiPaolo, Ricky Gervais). The actors are mostly from his previous show, "Lucky Louie." Some episodes of the show play out a lot like "Curb Your Enthusiasm," but most of the episodes have their own flow that doesn't involve much conflict at all. I also love the cut scenes at the end of every episode. The only problem I had was the theme song in the beginning. Very annoying song, I don't care how classic it is. Other than that, excellent show.

If you like Seinfeld, this is for you, if you don't...

Author: asc85 from Mercer County, NJ
18 May 2014

OK...I finally decided to give this show a go at the start of the 4th season, based on the high critical acclaim it has received. The nicest thing I can say about this series is that it is basically an homage to Seinfeld, complete with stand-up riffs to open and close the show. And I hated the Seinfeld show, although most think it's one of the greatest sitcoms of all-time. So there you go. The show has completely unrealistic plots with unrealistic characters, and worst of all, isn't funny at all. I watched the first two episodes of season #4. In the first episode Charles Grodin plays a doctor, and I think the segment was supposed to be funny, but it wasn't. In the second episode, Seinfeld himself is in this one, and at the end, Louis is supposed to be paying a rich couple $5,000 a month for injuring their model/daughter. It was just ridiculous. I was waiting for the Seinfeld music in-between the scenes to play.

Way too good for it's own good

Author: fantasmagore from United States
1 December 2012

I can't even give it a good or clever review, it's taken advantage of me (sexually) on too many levels. Sorry, I like it. His kids seem like decent people. The timing is perfect. I feel horrible when I watch it. I feel as though that is deserved. I'm sorry daddy. Can't I still grow up like that, and still like Lady Gaga? What're you doing here. Picking up college pussy. Timeless that's all I have to say. It's not a matter of good or bad, never has been if it has it would be ugly. This is life. On screen. At it's best.You can open an envelope, but it's still an envelope. A box is a box but a box is still a..probably shouldn't say. Cant write enough. Wait, sorry, he can't write enough. I can't have enough fun. It's a pleasure to be here. I mean, I don't think of it as just masturbation. I don't care but it's easy it's fun and nobody gets hurt. Everything I do is outside of his context. We Have sex, and he probably masturbates. Napoleon and Shakespeare masturbated.

Intelligent feel-good pretending to be less

Author: thepukudog
23 September 2012

Really great little storyline with a deep meaning for us all, especially those struggling to balance everything out and stay good guys. David Lynch is, as always, superb. Jerry was on the money - great to see him again in something so tight. Good writing always rules - wish more people appreciate it! So many cool moments in this episode, I think this is the best so far in the series. One of the themes of Louie is the issue of success/achievement in life today. This story-line nails a healthy perspective on this theme. I wonder if we will see this story- line revisited with, dare I say, Mr Letterman himself in the future. We can hope. Really interested to see how the season ends. Hope Louie gets some more good stuff in his life.

I love Louie CK, but his show misses the mark

Author: Jordan Satmary (MrSatmary@yahoo.com) from United States
5 October 2013

Louie CK has got to be my favorite comedian, by far. His narcissistic talk about every day experiences is relatable and always spot on.

However, "Louie" does not make me laugh as much as I'd hope. I can understand the basic idea, this is what a comedian's life is actually like. I've seen every episode up to the end of season 3 and I can say that for 80% of them I'm left disappointed. It's as if they're leading up to a climax of some sort, and then it just ends.

The direction and beats always seem off, except when Louie is doing his stand up which always seems to bring the show out of the gutter. The cinematography is like a beginner student film and if it's that way on purpose, I don't see why because it really isn't pretty to look at.

I think this show COULD be great, but unfortunately it is not.

Too vulgar and monotonous by far

Author: Michael Pless (mpless@bigpond.net.au) from Melbourne, Australia
27 August 2013

I read many of the reviews and so tried to watch this. After seven episodes I can no longer continue. It is just not funny, a major failing in this genre.

I don't mind the occasional sexual joke, but for them to be the sole source of attempted humor, I just gave up. I don't think endless references to vaginas (vaginae?) are in any way clever or fresh. It isn't a word that comes up commonly in mixed conversation, so I guess Louie was trying for shock value, but this would have limited attraction to anyone not brain-dead.

In one episode Louie, in his stand up act verbally abused an audience member in a particularly coarse manner. True, this was part of the act and the show, but it was too extreme. In terms of observational humor, Jerry Seinfeld was masterful and managed it without excessive mentioning of his or anyone else's genitals. Billy Connolly did a hilarious act where he discussed his genitals, and I'd encourage the shows writers to observe and perhaps take note of how a professional works.

Quite simply, if you like your humor to be witty and intelligent, you'll have to look elsewhere.

I genuinely tried to like it

Author: arian-hakim from United States
29 June 2012

I think the reason why it was so god awful for me is because it was a very slow paced comedy, and not that there is anything wrong with that, but it just really was not all that funny. There was one scene that was so fruitless. Him waving for a taxi, right outside of the hospital, the taxi driver stopped 5 yards ahead of him so he had to limp to the door to open it. But then the taxi driver just took off. I mean i understand that sometimes life can be crappy but this just reminded of very badly written German satire. It just was not entertaining or funny. And I Love his stand ups. This however seems to be something else that he has been having up his sleeves that I just do not appreciate.

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]