IMDb > "Louie" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Louie"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Louie" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Louie, you miserable f***!

Author: Luis_Azevedo from Portugal
12 January 2012

Louie made me think right away of Asian food. I've only eaten Chinese food about three or four times so my references aren't that broad. Louie is sweet and sour at the same time (the show, not the guy). It can be gut wrenching funny and gut wrenching sad in consecutive moments, or even at the same time. The ending of the second season is one of those moments where what is happening is so funny but the implications are at the same time so sad. Like when you see someone fall and get hurt. Really hurt. And that person starts yelling for help, but you can't stop laughing because she is talking all funny due to the broken teeth and severed carotid artery. That's how I feel about Louie.

The show is pretty much the story of Louie, a comedian...

Read more here: http://fb.me/1n7yg8cwy

Louis CK's seamless transition to TV

Author: Adam Daly from United Kingdom
10 August 2012

Take a bow Louis CK. Not only are you possibly one of the most engaging, talented and funny comedians around at this moment, but you have this likability and watchability that makes a transition from stand up to comedy show utterly seamless.

Louie combines the situational and often crass storytelling of a heightened version of himself that made Curb such a great show with elements of his incredible stand up routine; something that echo's the format of Seinfeld. Louis CK plays himself in all his glory. A divorcée with two unappreciative children struggling to balance family and his own personal life, in particular his difficulty with dating. If you have seen Louis CK's stand up shows, you'll be comfortably at ease with his crass take on things, with humour delivered incredibly close to the bone. His television show pushes as many boundaries as his live performance and we find ourselves laughing just as guiltily as we did when seeing him live.

We see an excellent performance by Louis, showing he's a dab hand on the small screen too, as well as the supporting cast, who are not quite as recurring as we'd probably like. The overall feel to the show is very curb-esque and fans of that show will no doubt love Louie.

It is consistently funny and often side splittingly hilarious. But there is such truth to it. The show comes from a place that I am sure all parents, the overweight and all mediocre looking people and many divorced, middle aged men will know too well. But even to those not in such categories, we feel just as much agony for Louis as anybody. Here is a 40 year old man who has all but given up on most aspects of life. In many way's he's simply waiting to die, but there is always that beacon of hope that is his children that somehow always manage to give him validity, no matter how irritating they can be.

It's heartwarming, true to life and very. very funny. I cannot recommend this highly enough and have thoroughly enjoyed watching thus far.

If you like Seinfeld, this is for you, if you don't...

Author: asc85 from Mercer County, NJ
18 May 2014

OK...I finally decided to give this show a go at the start of the 4th season, based on the high critical acclaim it has received. The nicest thing I can say about this series is that it is basically an homage to Seinfeld, complete with stand-up riffs to open and close the show. And I hated the Seinfeld show, although most think it's one of the greatest sitcoms of all-time. So there you go. The show has completely unrealistic plots with unrealistic characters, and worst of all, isn't funny at all. I watched the first two episodes of season #4. In the first episode Charles Grodin plays a doctor, and I think the segment was supposed to be funny, but it wasn't. In the second episode, Seinfeld himself is in this one, and at the end, Louis is supposed to be paying a rich couple $5,000 a month for injuring their model/daughter. It was just ridiculous. I was waiting for the Seinfeld music in-between the scenes to play.

the best

Author: paralitos from Cyprus
17 April 2011

this is the best American series that i ever saw.. I have always been a Louis CK fan and when this came out i was worried of not meeting the expectations i had from him. I watched it though and now i cant wait for the second season.

It's different from every other clean-cut polished American series so its not for everyone, if you expect to see something like the other sitcoms that are there don't watch it.

All in all in this series its clear that they left all artistic control to Louis CK and he made a fantastic job with everything and finally i love that there is no major casting and that no character except Louie appears in more than 3-4 episodes, this way he avoids all character relationship building scenes that are some times boring for the viewer

Funny and Fearless

Author: coolkycouple2004 from United States
27 August 2011

Louie C.K. is heir to the throne of Carlin...his stand up is on the level of the all time greats, and he now has a show that really comes off like his stand up act;hilarious, sometimes uncomfortable but always sharp as hell.

I like how each episode is it's own stand alone story, sometimes 2 stories...and you never know what you're in for. Will Louie get laid, get humiliated, or have a life altering event happen walking down the street? The stand up segments in the show are a great icing on the cake too.

This is easily the best new comedy on TV and a great vehicle to showcase Louie's talent.

Brilliant show,don't read negative reviews,read this.

Author: Roxie Hart from Rijeka, Croata
5 June 2014

I saw just Louis C.K's stand up and it was just amazing so I started watching Louie.I just like that kinda of humour. I didn't read about this show and have no idea what to expect.Louie is very funny show,and not usual humour you seen in thousand other humoristic TV shows.It's quite unique, quirky sometimes,weird,and even in moments surrealistic.In later season (4) is more realistic and more bitter sweet and full happy and sad moments,but those are in same ammont so it's cool.Even people complain about season 4,it's just what has to be,life is not only full of joy but sadness. There is swearing and adult themes and uncomfortable moments but If you bothered by that,you need to just grow effin up.I'm totally addicted and I would be very very sad,like my whole family died in horrible accident,If Louie was ever cancelled.It would break my heart. I hope for at least 10 more seasons?Just saying... :)

Incredibly realistic, simple, and both funny and melancholic

Author: Red_Identity from United States
15 September 2012

I have seen the first two seasons of Louie, and I just really love this series. It has an unusual format, and this same format and style allows it to flow naturally. It never really feels forced or unauthentic, and every single episode of the show is unpredictable exactly because Louis C.K. is able to tackle some of the similar themes in many episodes and yet still pump in real authenticity. You notice this especially in the second season, that although probably not as funny as the first, it breathes new life into the series. It's gotten to the point that it feels like the most sincere comedy series in a very long time, and its most subtle moments don't even hit you until you think back to them.

Louis is one of the most honest and creative works to grace television.

Author: daniellouthain from United States
30 July 2012

I've waited two and a half seasons to write a review of Louie. I watched it from the beginning, and re-watched each season during each hiatus. Every time I was engrossed and wildly entertained. It made me think and it made me wonder about how and why people do the things they do.

We're all used to this artificial portrayal of human life when we watch TV or movies. Every person is utterly fascinating and clever and somehow always seem to drive a plot with every sentence. This is not like that. This is human interaction and life in its most honest form. You won't find fast-paced witty dialogue or 23 minutes of one-liners. If that's what you're looking for in a series, tune into the other comedies on TV, you'll be thoroughly entertained. Louie captures what is truly hilarious, interesting or profound about life, and he presents it organically. It all appears to happen by a series of infinitely numerous and infinitely improbable outcomes. And its because that's how life is. Life doesn't have a plot or a story-arc. Life is usually disappointing and uneventful, but its always interesting, there are always hilarious moments, and it always leaves you wanting more.

A dark, honest and confronting, but really funny comedy

Author: yiNXs from Netherlands
18 September 2011

I was a fan of Louis CK before this series started, so when I heard about it I was looking forward to seeing it.

Well, the first thing I discovered was that the show is not exactly comparable to his stand up comedy. It took me a while to get a feel for the show, because at first it was hard for me to watch the comedian I admire portray himself as a loser so much. He really makes me believe that what he is showing is the real him. After a while I realized that whether that is true or not, it's actually pretty awesome by itself.

What I think is so great about this comedy is how he displays things many of us can probably relate to to at least some degree. He is this extraordinary ordinary guy, even though he plays himself (the celebrity), who is trying hard to live a normal life, but has a tough time doing so. He does his best, but always saying or doing the worst possible things, but in an incredibly well and sincere way, making it hard not to cringe while watching, while the honesty really gets to you.

I didn't see a strong connection to Curb or Seinfeld in the beginning, but there definitely is. It's the same kind of comedy, but from the perspective of somebody who actually gives a crap.

Smart comedy show for grown-up divorced dads

Author: nathanschubach from Northwest Ohio
12 July 2011

I love the show. It's a cute slice-of-life experience with Louis C.K. as he searches for dates, relation to younger guys as a divorced man with kids, and his exhaust of life in the form of comedy. It starts off like Seinfeld with a couple minutes of comedy, sometimes related to the rest of the show. The primary characters in the show are mostly him, his ex-wife (who is never seen), his daughters (not his real daughters), a single mother from his daughter's school (Jane), and various famous comedian friends (Todd Barry, Jim Norton, Nick DiPaolo, Ricky Gervais). The actors are mostly from his previous show, "Lucky Louie." Some episodes of the show play out a lot like "Curb Your Enthusiasm," but most of the episodes have their own flow that doesn't involve much conflict at all. I also love the cut scenes at the end of every episode. The only problem I had was the theme song in the beginning. Very annoying song, I don't care how classic it is. Other than that, excellent show.

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]